OT: InBev selling 8 beer brands, including employees and brewery facilities.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I don’t drink InBev products unless I’m at the place with the worst beer selection in town. But, I’m amazed at how much their stunt has cost them.

IDGAF if you’re trans, gay, pan, whatever. At all (unless it’s time for some junior high humor, then you’re gay). To each their own. But, this has to be one of the all-time corporate fails I’ve ever seen.

Somewhere in the distance, Terrance and Phillip fart in each others faces: InBev sale to Canada

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don’t drink InBev products unless I’m at the place with the worst beer selection in town. But, I’m amazed at how much their stunt has cost them.

IDGAF if you’re trans, gay, pan, whatever. At all (unless it’s time for some junior high humor, then you’re gay). To each their own. But, this has to be one of the all-time corporate fails I’ve ever seen.

Somewhere in the distance, Terrance and Phillip fart in each others faces: InBev sale to Canada
Well, "The companies being sold include Shock Top, Square Mile Cider Company, Blue Point Brewing Company, Breckenridge Brewery, 10 Barrel Brewing Company, Widmer Brothers Brewing, Redhook Brewery and Hiball Energy."

Raise your hand if you've ever heard of any of those beyond Shock Top. They aren't exactly giving away the crown jewels.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Well, "The companies being sold include Shock Top, Square Mile Cider Company, Blue Point Brewing Company, Breckenridge Brewery, 10 Barrel Brewing Company, Widmer Brothers Brewing, Redhook Brewery and Hiball Energy."

Raise your hand if you've ever heard of any of those beyond Shock Top. They aren't exactly giving away the crown jewels.
Breckenridge and Redhook were pretty early in the craft beer movement in CO and WA respectively. You don’t see either of them every day. I didn’t know either were owned by InBev, either. But, I can brew up a pretty killer Redhook ESB clone pretty well. And there are very few ESBs on the market these days.

Widmer rothers is about as good as Leinenkugel (i.e., awful).

The rest seem awfully meh…. Just interesting they’re having to liquidate brands.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Breckenridge and Redhook were pretty early in the craft beer movement in CO and WA respectively. You don’t see either of them every day. I didn’t know either were owned by InBev, either. But, I can brew up a pretty killer Redhook ESB clone pretty well. And there are very few ESBs on the market these days.

Widmer rothers is about as good as Leinenkugel (i.e., awful).

The rest seem awfully meh…. Just interesting they’re having to liquidate brands.
So it sounds like they are realizing that they can't make money buying local craft beer places and corporatizing them? That makes sense. Whenever I'm out of town I try to find a local brew if they have one. It's more about the experience, seeing what they have, etc. That appeal disappears if an InBev takes over.

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
So it sounds like they are realizing that they can't make money buying local craft beer places and corporatizing them? That makes sense. Whenever I'm out of town I try to find a local brew if they have one. It's more about the experience, seeing what they have, etc. That appeal disappears is an InBev takes over.
I do the same….

We had our honeymoon across the pond years ago. My wife discovered Stella Artois, and loved it. At the time, an imported beer in London was Bud Light and it cost double what the more “local” stuff cost. I think it’s still brewed (poorly) in Belgium, but owned by InBev. Next time I’m there, I’ll have to pay attention to the pricing.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I’ve heard of them. Widmer probably got bought because of their early Marquee Valyoo.

I’m shocked that InBev didn’t shut them down like Sapporo is doing with Anchor— a Craft Beer Titan.

Reactions: Dawgg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Wow, Anchor is about as OG as it gets. I haven’t seen it anywhere in years, though.
A lot of folks blame Sapporo.

I loved Anchor.

I don’t know if Anchor Steam was the first craft beer I had but it had to have been one of the first three (Sierra Nevada’s Pale Ale & Samuel Adams’ Boston Lager being the other two I had back in the day when I was working in the Bay Area).

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
I’ve heard of them. Widmer probably got bought because of their early Marquee Valyoo.

I’m shocked that InBev didn’t shut them down like Sapporo is doing with Anchor— a Craft Beer Titan.

The worse news in that article is that they acquired Stone, with the implication that they're next to go

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Wow, Anchor is about as OG as it gets. I haven’t seen it anywhere in years, though.
I am a beer lover, as others have said when I travel I always try the local stuff. I try whatever is new in the cooler at local grocery stores too. I try whatever restaurants have on tap that I've never had. My motto was always "none are bad, some are just better than others" That was until I tried an Anchor Steam. I didn't get past the 2nd swallow, by far, the worst beer to ever grace my lips. I would just quit drinking if that was the only one available. I could go on and on about how bad it was but you get my point

Reactions: eckie1

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I am a beer lover, as others have said when I travel I always try the local stuff. I try whatever is new in the cooler at local grocery stores too. I try whatever restaurants have on tap that I've never had. My motto was always "none are bad, some are just better than others" That was until I tried an Anchor Steam. I didn't get past the 2nd swallow, by far, the worst beer to ever grace my lips. I would just quit drinking if that was the only one available. I could go on and on about how bad it was but you get my point
Anchor steam was a very, very different experience. There’s probably a reason it was the only Steam beer I’d ever seen for sale anywhere. Their porter was pretty good, though.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

People's taste buds are different so not liking certain types is expected.

Anchor steam was a very, very different experience. There’s probably a reason it was the only Steam beer I’d ever seen for sale anywhere. Their porter was pretty good, though.

Their Porter is good. I also liked their Barleywine and also their winter beer Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (yep, its name).

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"People's taste buds are different so not liking certain types is expected"

I might owe it to myself to try it again if I could find one, that was about 38 years ago that I tried my first and only Anchor Steam on Spring Break in FL. I know my taste buds have changed over the years (Snickers taste way different than they did years ago) but I don't know if my taste buds have changed enough for me to try another Anchor much less drink a whole one. Someone will buy the name and make it again because it did have a pretty loyal following for years and years

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Is the sale of these very minor brands for sure due to the fallout from how many reacted when a trans person advertised for BudLight?
The sale of those brands was worth $85million.
ABInbev did $59billion in sales last year.
Their stock price is the same now as it was in February of this year, which was shortly before a transwoman collab'd with BudLight and people shat their pants in outrage.

After just closing the books last month on $59billion in sales for their year and having the same stock price now as just before 'the incident', are they really so hard up for cash that they had to sell off some minor brands for $85million?

This is all just so wild and illogical that I cant confidently separate real reasons from wishful thinking and biased reasons.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Is the sale of these very minor brands for sure due to the fallout from how many reacted when a trans person advertised for BudLight?
Their stock price is the same now as it was in February of this year, which was shortly before a transwoman collab'd with BudLight and people shat their pants in outrage.

After just closing the books last month on $59billion in sales for their year and having the same stock price now as just before 'the incident', are they really so hard up for cash that they had to sell off some minor brands for $85million?

This is all just so wild and illogical that I cant confidently separate real reasons from wishful thinking and biased reasons.
They lost their overall #1 market share (which I never understood) to Modelo (I also don’t get) in the past 3-4 months. Maybe they planned on doing some light housekeeping. However, after losing $27B in value recently, maybe that’s forced the issue?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Honestly, the most money I've seen anybody lose from diving into political culture wars with the crazies is the My Pillow dude and Musk...go unwoke go broke?***

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Honestly, the most money I've seen anybody lose from diving into political culture wars with the crazies is the My Pillow dude and Musk...go unwoke go broke?***
MyPillow guy is still in business and Bed, Bath and Beyond isn’t…. Just FYI.

I don’t have any access into MyPillow’s books, but it seems like he probably didn’t lose much, if anything.

Musk has “17 you in the ear sideways” money…. I don’t know where he’s headed on Twitter/X, but it really seems like a game to him.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
People's taste buds are different so not liking certain types is expected.

Their Porter is good. I also liked their Barleywine and also their winter beer Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (yep, its name).
When I went to State, I used to buy a case of Stroh's ("fire brewed"!) at the grocery store. Anyone remember that? I haven't seen any in decades.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
When I went to State, I used to buy a case of Stroh's ("fire brewed"!) at the grocery store. Anyone remember that? I haven't seen any in decades.
We had strohs back in the early 2k years. I don't remember it at all, probably because it was the 3rd or so brand that would be opened up and not much of anything is remembered at that point.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
MyPillow guy is still in business and Bed, Bath and Beyond isn’t…. Just FYI.

I don’t have any access into MyPillow’s books, but it seems like he probably didn’t lose much, if anything.

Musk has “17 you in the ear sideways” money…. I don’t know where he’s headed on Twitter/X, but it really seems like a game to him.
I really don't keep up. I saw a headline that indicated the guy was lamenting having to sell off a large percentage of his production equipment because he was being "canceled". I don't understand how you could get rich off of a pillow but kudos to him. Exception: Pillow Cube. It is awesome if you are a side sleeper!

• Haha

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I really don't keep up. I saw a headline that indicated the guy was lamenting having to sell off a large percentage of his production equipment because he was being "canceled". I don't understand how you could get rich off of a pillow but kudos to him. Exception: Pillow Cube. It is awesome if you are a side sleeper!
I don’t, either… but I saw one of his commercials yesterday, and indefinitely know BB&B had a quick farewell tour this year.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
There is a beer out West called “Moose Drool”. I bought one at the Cowboy Bar in Jackson Hole a couple of years ago just to try it. I finished it but it probably took me an hour. Absolutely 100 percent terrible.

• Haha

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
They lost their overall #1 market share (which I never understood) to Modelo (I also don’t get) in the past 3-4 months. Maybe they planned on doing some light housekeeping. However, after losing $27B in value recently, maybe that’s forced the issue?
AB lost $27 billion in value? I knew sales of bud light had dropped but I didn’t realize that was enough to cause that type of loss

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

I've had Widmer Brothers and Redhook before. They weren't bad at all, but I think that was way before InBev bought them. I haven't seen either in years.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
We were discussing this. What was up with all the mid 90’s beers that came out named Ice, dry, and red. Red Dog, Red Wolf, Icehouse, Bud Ice, Bud Dry, Southpaw. They just showed up over a couple of years and went away.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
We were discussing this. What was up with all the mid 90’s beers that came out named Ice, dry, and red. Red Dog, Red Wolf, Icehouse, Bud Ice, Bud Dry, Southpaw. They just showed up over a couple of years and went away.
Circa 2001, you could get a 6 pack of Southpaw tallboys for 2.99 at the BP out by the Krogers on Hwy 12, provided you said "Oh yesMAM" when you clerk asked "you're over 21, aintchya?".

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
We used to pick up some “Miller Red”, which was a whopping 5% ABV. We got crunk regularly and had to shake the hot leg off with a stick.**

This era was when brands like Breckenridge and Redhook were already making names for themselves out west. There was never a market for either in MS, because that craft beer revolution didn’t happen until the late aught-00’s. By then, both were barely hanging on.

I did see a Breckenridge on tap today…. I haven’t seen a Redhook anywhere in well over a decade.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login