OT: Jackson airport

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It's gonna take one heck of a price differential to make me drive 3 hours to New Orleans, Memphis, or Gulfport. I don't fly often, but when I do, it's always been out of JAN no matter what the price. Now, like someone said, if you live in McComb, Hattiesburg, Meridian or Grenada, it makes sense to compare two airports. Or maybe if you're doing something crazy like flying a family of 6.
If I’m flying with my whole family, I’ll check the price out of Nola but I’ve never actually booked a flight out of there. I hate the thought of driving 3 hours to an airport. Nola is almost always cheaper but not enough to justify the drive. I have friends that will go to Nola for more direct flight options, which I understand but still not for me.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
In what way(s) getting worse? I interact with the Jxn Airport several times/year. True that amenities are out of service longer than what seems reasonable (restrooms, escalators, elevators, etc.) and there's a lack of food/beverage and dry goods, but all in all, it's a very easy airport for parking and to navigate and usually short waits.
I find it real easy to fly in and out of Jxn. We just took a trip and flew in and out of Birmingham and both of us thought that it was a lot easier and simpler to fly in/out of Jxn (we are about the same distance from both). We will give the nod back to Jxn the next time we fly.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
If I’m flying with my whole family, I’ll check the price out of Nola but I’ve never actually booked a flight out of there. I hate the thought of driving 3 hours to an airport. Nola is almost always cheaper but not enough to justify the drive. I have friends that will go to Nola for more direct flight options, which I understand but still not for me.
We are flying out of New Orleans to visit @Oregon Tiger in late July. We had some Southwest credits to use and flying out of Jackson wasn't possible. You had to book 2 separate flights. I even called Southwest. It made no sense.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I promise you, the City owns the Airport. And all that other money the airport has gotten is one of the big reasons the state can't just take it over. There are obligations. JMAA is just an arm of the city, no other entities are included. Similar to BHM and ATL, I guess they think they need sitting board members to make decisions. Some airport directors report directly to their owners, without a board. The 'board' or authority is the city council or county commission. In my opinion you really don't need an entity like JMAA unless you have multiple entities playing into it, like say GPT, which has Gulfport, Biloxi and Harrison County all underneath it.
I was assuming that the land would have been granted to the authority when it was established. I guess that's not necessary when you have an airport authority with a single political subdivision backing it.

If the City owns the land, that does seem like it would be difficult to just commandeer it by appointing a new board. If it is owned by the authority, I don't know that all the grant assurances would be a problem as you'd still have the same legal entity signing off on it (I assume? didn't the legislation just change the makeup of the board?).

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I also consider return flight take off time on vacation trips in addition to costs. Especially if I have to get kids up and moving. I’d rather drive 2.5-3 hours after landing if it means not getting up at 5:30 am. The good thing about MSY from metro Jackson is it’s on the good aside of traffic so you can get there in just under 2.5

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Has this thread failed to submit airport cutie pics thus far? That's always been my favorite thing about airports.
In the good ole days of me traveling every week for business...it was goof thing to have a plane change at Dallas love on a Friday afternoon. Enjoy a cold beer at the chili's, positioned right on the hot corner. The talent coming in for the weekend always tipped things by wearing their stage shoes. Neon, transparent, glittered, or mirrored platform heels...

Reactions: Anon1704414204

patdog

May 28, 2007
I was assuming that the land would have been granted to the authority when it was established. I guess that's not necessary when you have an airport authority with a single political subdivision backing it.

If the City owns the land, that does seem like it would be difficult to just commandeer it by appointing a new board. If it is owned by the authority, I don't know that all the grant assurances would be a problem as you'd still have the same legal entity signing off on it (I assume? didn't the legislation just change the makeup of the board?).
City of Jackson acquired the land from Rankin County back in the 1950s and contributed it to the Airport Authority. The Airport Authority is a component unit of the City of Jackson (it's owned by the City of Jackson and is a part of the City of Jackson).

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It has a good bit of commercial traffic now. It will always be a viable airport. If the leadership ever starts to affect safety, other people will step in.

No matter how bad Jackson sucks, the metro is still a population center, both business and governmental. Some of ya'll take the hate too far, I get it, it's fun to bash MS, but don't go farther than you need to.
1. The airport is not unsafe and has never been unsafe.

2. I would love for Jxn to be viable and bustling, but it's not much of a business center any longer. Just take a drive on Highland Colony and see where all the businesses went, take a drive through Flowood and Madison and you see where much medical has gone and more is coming. I've worked in DT Jxn for going on 30 years, it's dead, it's not unsafe, it's just abandoned.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Yes, city owns basically everything, with obligations on it.

I'm sure at some point in the past, the CoJ wanted the JMAA to ultimately become independent of them (probably if the airport was losing money). But they likely don't want to now, because I'm betting the airport is now in a better financial position (I don't know that for sure, just assuming). But for whatever reason, the CoJ and JMAA never separated. And to take grants, you have to be in a strong financial position, and that's usually better by having a City/County as the primary owner, so....no real reason to separate.

And yeah, if CoJ had ever ceded power to JMAA back in the day.....this state law would have a lot more teeth.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
1. The airport is not unsafe and has never been unsafe.

2. I would love for Jxn to be viable and bustling, but it's not much of a business center any longer. Just take a drive on Highland Colony and see where all the businesses went, take a drive through Flowood and Madison and you see where much medical has gone and more is coming. I've worked in DT Jxn for going on 30 years, it's dead, it's not unsafe, it's just abandoned.
Dude, good grief.

1. I meant unsafe for flying, like if the runway was falling apart, due to bad maintenance. Or if the terminal building was unstable, etc. There are other entities that have oversight in these things besides JMAA. FAA, building inspectors, etc. Airport is too important to be just another Jackson dilapidated structure.

2. I meant the whole Jackson Metro and even 1-2 hours around it, which is what JAN serves primarily. It doesn't just serve city residents.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
City of Jackson acquired the land from Rankin County back in the 1950s and contributed it to the Airport Authority. The Airport Authority is a component unit of the City of Jackson (it's owned by the City of Jackson and is a part of the City of Jackson).
This was a decade before my birth, but i've always been told there was gentleman's agreement between Jxn and Rankin, if Rankin didn't fight the airport, Jxn, wouldn't try to annex any land on the Rankin side of the Pearl.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Dude, good grief.

1. I meant unsafe for flying, like if the runway was falling apart.

2. I meant the whole Jackson Metro and even 1-2 hours around it, which is what JAN serves primarily. It doesn't just serve city residents.
Where are you getting that runways are unsafe, that's not true at all.

Rather than use the term "Jxn" is the center of business, better to use the term "Jxn Metro."

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

This is not my area, so take this with a large shaker of salt, but I believe being a component unit is an accounting determination, and that determination flows from, among other things, the de facto ownership and control of the separate legal entity. It doesn't dictate ownership and/or control.

If the authority owns the assets, and the city is not the guarantor of any bonds issued by the airport authority, and the make up of the commission is changed to where the City of jackson no longer has the ability to assert majority control, then I would assume it won't remain a component unit (I don't know the actual test but I think it's basically a totality of the circumstances type test of basically is it independent or not). No clue what that means for the city's books for the authority to just disappear from them. I would assume the city of jackson's annual audit has some footnotes about what happens if anybody is motivated to look for it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is not my area, so take this with a large shaker of salt, but I believe being a component unit is an accounting determination, and that determination flows from, among other things, the de facto ownership and control of the separate legal entity. It doesn't dictate ownership and/or control.

If the authority owns the assets, and the city is not the guarantor of any bonds issued by the airport authority, and the make up of the commission is changed to where the City of jackson no longer has the ability to assert majority control, then I would assume it won't remain a component unit (I don't know the actual test but I think it's basically a totality of the circumstances type test of basically is it independent or not). No clue what that means for the city's books for the authority to just disappear from them. I would assume the city of jackson's annual audit has some footnotes about what happens if anybody is motivated to look for it.
You have a pretty good understanding of how it works. And yeah, if the composition of the Board changed, that could change. But the Authority was created by the City of Jackson. Only way the composition of that Board can change is if the City changes it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This was a decade before my birth, but i've always been told there was gentleman's agreement between Jxn and Rankin, if Rankin didn't fight the airport, Jxn, wouldn't try to annex any land on the Rankin side of the Pearl.
It was before my time too, but my understanding is it's not a gentlemens agreement. It was part of the terms of the City of Jackson acquiring the land. Jackson has crossed into Madison County for a small sliver of land annexed years ago. But they legally can't cross the Pearl River into Rankin County.

shep9332

Jun 5, 2014
I always thought that the takeover had less to do with the actual airport although I'm sure it could be better managed. The development income from the JMAA property on the East Metro Parkway could be what is driving it. That and Rankin citizens will want some oversight on what is developed on those properties.

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
I’m actually on a plane right now flying into NOLA. I live 20 mins from the Jackson airport. I’d rather drive to NOLA and pay to leave my car there than step foot in that ******** they call JAN. F THAT PLACE

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I always thought that the takeover had less to do with the actual airport although I'm sure it could be better managed. The development income from the JMAA property on the East Metro Parkway could be what is driving it. That and Rankin citizens will want some oversight on what is developed on those properties.
Probably. But there are strings that come with that too, especially if bought with grants.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If FFA regs allow, the land along Airport Road should have developed 40 years ago. Jxn had property right in the middle of the growth path for Rankin for all this time. There should have been bars and restaurants all along that corridor. Back when Flowood had liquor restrictions, restaurants/bars on that stretch would have boomed. Again, if FFA regs would allow building in that area.

Reactions: Double Dawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Probably. But there are strings that come with that too, especially if bought with grants.
FAA has said they’re staying out of it until the courts rule. And I’m sure it would go all the way to the Supreme Court before Jackson would give up the airport. If the state really wants the airport, they need to start negotiating with City of Jackson. I doubt they’re getting it any other way.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
It's gonna take one heck of a price differential to make me drive 3 hours to New Orleans, Memphis, or Gulfport. I don't fly often, but when I do, it's always been out of JAN no matter what the price. Now, like someone said, if you live in McComb, Hattiesburg, Meridian or Grenada, it makes sense to compare two airports. Or maybe if you're doing something crazy like flying a family of 6.

Same boat. Flying out of JAN is ideal. Easy & fast to get in and out of. Gulfport has a cheap direct flight to Vegas & Tampa I’ve entertained driving for.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You have a pretty good understanding of how it works. And yeah, if the composition of the Board changed, that could change. But the Authority was created by the City of Jackson. Only way the composition of that Board can change is if the City changes it.
Well, I guess that's what the litigation is about but if there is state enabling legislation authorizing the city to establish an airport authority, I don't know what would stop the legislature from modifying the statutes establishing how the commissioners are appointed.

Certainly some fairness/equity arguments that seem pretty solid to me, but I'm not sure if they are good legal arguments or not.

I definitely think it'd be better if the state legislature tried to negotiate relinquishing sole control of the airport as part of a package making money available to Jackson for infrastructure. Not easy to negotiate when you need legislative signoff and city council signoff, but generally the more stuff taken out of Jackson leadership, the better not just for the Jackson MSA but also for the residents of Jackson. If Jackson can get some more state funded road improvements, water and sewer improvements, and police presence, and the city residents also get more grownups involved in core government functions, that's a win for everybody except the local grifters.