OT: Joe Rogan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
Does anyone else find humor in these 4-5 artist boycotting Spotify, not a single one of them is relevant? Maybe their management is using it as marketing. I consider myself a "music person" and I could go the rest of my life without hearing Neil Young or Graham Nash.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He probably needs to change the lyrics to the song "Rocking in the free world." *******

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Regardless of their relevancy to you or I, Spotify is/was relevant to them and they had the balls to forgo whatever that means to them for something they believe in. I can give them credit for what they did regardless of whether I agree with their stance or not. How ballsy it was it proportional to what they were actually making from the platform and I'm ignorant on that front.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Spotify is the one showing balls here in my opinion. Those “artists” have a thousand different ways to sell their music. If anything they gained attention for themselves because a majority of folks had to Google everyone but Young to see who in the hell they were.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Ironically, it's probably the best bit of marketing Young has done in the past 30 years. At least people are talking about him. Hell, I think XM started a Neil Young station.

With that being said, he's a commie.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Fortunately Spotify is Swedish. If they were from the US, they'd have bent over by now.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Neil Young doesn’t even own the rights to his catalog. His stance was posturing at its finest. All he did was lose a **** load of money for whoever owns his masters.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Does anyone else find humor in these 4-5 artist boycotting Spotify, not a single one of them is relevant? Maybe their management is using it as marketing. I consider myself a "music person" and I could go the rest of my life without hearing Neil Young or Graham Nash.

Anyone listening to Joe Rogan for medical advice deserves what they get. Don't listen to him, go to a doctor and discuss it with them. That is all.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Anyone who entrusts their health and well being exclusively to the knowledge of their local doctor deserves what they get. Most family practice and internal medicine doctors know very little about virology and epidemiology.

The quality of a doctor is no different than the quality of an electrician or lawyer. Some are experts and some barely made it through school.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Agreed. He's only one of many spreading false vaccine information that is literally killing people. Still their fault for being sucked into getting medical advice from a talk show host. It's just a shame that people like him have no moral compass at all.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
Regardless of their relevancy to you or I, Spotify is/was relevant to them and they had the balls to forgo whatever that means to them for something they believe in..

You have a vastly different opinion than me. This day and age of arm twisting to silence what now hurts feelings is childish and idiotic. These people are clowns. Sad, crying, weak, pathetic, clowns.

Neil Young had a tour in 2006 called the “Free Speech Tour”. Remember that? How ironic. Now he wants to censor and silence.

“But it’s about misinformation!!!” They say. Bibbidy babbidy ********. Nope. There is misinformation on TV every day. Every single day. Every single hour. This is a podcast they are whining about.

It’s about this new demand that everything some weasel doesn’t like be cancelled. And it’s freaking pathetic. Along with the people involved in it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
But any doctor is better than Joe Rogan, no?

Joseph James Rogan (born August 11, 1967) is an American podcaster, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) color commentator, comedian, actor, and former television presenter.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Joe Rogan has experts in their respective fields on his show. It’s not it’s just him riffing ad nauseam about random topics.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Nope

But any doctor is better than Joe Rogan, no?

There are some real quacks out there. If you’ve never met or dealt with an idiot dr, congrats.

There are dr’s who agree with everything Joe says. There are some that disagree with everything he says. They can’t both be right.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Agreed. He's only one of many spreading false vaccine information that is literally killing people. Still their fault for being sucked into getting medical advice from a talk show host. It's just a shame that people like him have no moral compass at all.

How exactly is it that he has no moral compass? Please explain that clearly. He had medical professionals and scientists on his show. He discussed what they believe. He discussed what he believes. What about that makes him immoral? If he actually believes what he is saying, then where is the problem? I’m not bashing you. It’s a serious question. It’s as if you don’t think medical professionals and normal every day people can disagree about the results of health data.

ETA: I’m not one of the people that believes Rogan’s views or my regular doctor. I review a lot of sources and ask questions. I just don’t think it’s fair to say he has no moral compass for having an opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Spotify pays artists crap. Any kudos I'd give him for taking a stand would be immediately rescinded for being a colossal douche and a hypocrite.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The people who listen to Rogan that won’t get vaccinated weren’t going to get vaccinated regardless if he had every guest lined up promoting vaccines for the rest of the year. It’s a big deal about nothing.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

Have you even listened to any of his podcasts? Before the Pandemic even hit the US in early March 2020 he had Dr Michael Osterholm who laid out what was about to happen. Osterholm is about as left as it comes and is/has been one of Biden’s advisers. Rogan has right/left/center guest including Sanjay Gupta.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Joe Rogan has experts in their respective fields on his show. It’s not it’s just him riffing ad nauseam about random topics.

Maybe, but he also has quacks. And he doesn't inform his audience as to which is which. So either you get misinformed, or you deep dive into each of his guests so as to know who to dismiss......and at that point what was the point of tuning in?

Some people just prefer to be misinformed. To have their **** repeated back to them. That's his audience, and he's at least smart enough to pander to it.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
What do you mean “what’s the point of tuning in”? He has interesting topics that you may have not thought to read about if they weren’t discussed on his show.

So then after you listen to a point of view, like any self respecting adult, you take the time to form your own opinion outside of what you’ve heard. Not that complicated.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Nickelback has threatened to release some new music to Spotify if they don't cancel Joe Rogan**

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Spotify pays artists crap. Any kudos I'd give him for taking a stand would be immediately rescinded for being a colossal douche and a hypocrite.

^this. Part of the problem is Spotify has part owners that own music rights, who appear to be engaging in shenanigans to reduce payments to artists based on contracts written in the frigging 90s. They are literally selling the streaming rights to themselves, and have to pay a cut to the artists, so they lowball the sale amount to reduce the cut. This kind of arrangement was somewhat common in tv deals until recently some successful lawsuits made it more risky. See Walking Dead or Bull.

Spotify is out to make as many bucks as possible. Nothing wrong with that, except that they have no moral high ground to stand on. Boo hoo. Some potential customers will have a problem with that, and will vote with their feet.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Regardless of their relevancy to you or I, Spotify is/was relevant to them and they had the balls to forgo whatever that means to them for something they believe in. I can give them credit for what they did regardless of whether I agree with their stance or not. How ballsy it was it proportional to what they were actually making from the platform and I'm ignorant on that front.

Neil Young doesn't even own the music library that he demanded be removed from Spotify. Blackrock private equity firm owns it. Yes, the Blackrock that has been destroying neighborhoods since 2008 by buying up everything In sight and turning it into rental houses. Neil Young sold his library to a British company headed by Nile Rogers, who in turn flipped their company to Blackrock for a profit.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Some of yall are way too in your feelings over what a septuagenarian folk singer has to say about a podcaster.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
What do you mean “what’s the point of tuning in”? He has interesting topics that you may have not thought to read about if they weren’t discussed on his show.

So then after you listen to a point of view, like any self respecting adult, you take the time to form your own opinion outside of what you’ve heard. Not that complicated.

Garbage in, garbage out. If you listen to propaganda, it will skew your views, no matter how much you research it. Even when you know it's ********. That's why propaganda works. Everyone thinks they're the special snowflake that won't be the sucker in the con.

He airs con artists, and the answer is not to tell people to research it and spot the con. It's to not air the con artists.

Not to say contrarianism is bad, or old media is good. He just takes it too far and then doubles down on it instead of learning. Only a fool would listen.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Do you give credit to other people who stand up for what they believe in?

Like not taking a shot they don’t think they want or need?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
You know who looks like idiots? Dave Nelson and Jimmie James. They ran and owned a Newsradio station and had Joe under there noses the whole time yet they kept him as an electrician.
RIP Phil Hartman.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’ve said this before here: Joe Rogan uses an excellent persona of interested amateur very well in his podcasts when he gets experts in all fields to be his guests.

He gets a lot of deserved kudos for doing that. It’s a great approach and makes the guests more accessible to his audience.

The problem comes when his behind the scenes production becomes amateurish and not at all professional (especially when it comes to vetting guests, e.g.). He’s received some criticism for his bookings before— this is just the latest and most outspoken.

The big question is: What lasts longer? This controversy or the Wordle fascination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login