OT: July CPI next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Except that it's not like that at all. There's a huge difference between giving somebody money that's not theirs and not taking money that is theirs. If the government cancelled all SBA loans, that would be a give away also.

And they don't have to. Unless they agreed to. It's also true that if the government hadn't 17ed up higher education financing, it wouldn't cost nearly as much or be nearly as wasteful. But it's already done that and all in all, the people that have had to pay more for it are still relatively well off. I'd be more concerned about the people that wanted to go to college but couldn't afford to pay and understood that they were not a good candiate to borrow $80k to go to college. They should have been able to go to college for much cheaper, even if they weren't an ideal candidate. They were likely hurt more than the person that actually borrowed money and graduated.

Nope. Not if it's not a refundable tax credit. That doesn't mean that there aren't bad tax policies but it's not a direct harm in the way to just handing out cash to relatively affluent people is.

Or he could just respect the constitution and not legislate at all or spend money that hasn't been authorized by Congress, even if there is an argument that Congress inadvertently delegated the ability to spend a trillion dollars to the president.

As I stated in another post I’m not sure I’m entirely for broad student loan cancellation but it’s certainly not because I’m worried about being fair. You mentioning canceling SBA loans would be a give away… I wonder if you consider the PPP loans a give away. I work in banking and can tell you first hand after seeing financial statements post PPP that a lot of businesses just got free money and a lot of it. Restaurants and nursing homes are who I saw most impacted by Covid and appropriately used PPP money. A lot of companies got a whole lot more than the $10k being tossed around for student loan forgiveness. It’s funny you don’t see too many people up in arms about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login