OT - Knee Replacement Question

Jun 24, 2024
I'm sure there are plenty of people on the Board that have had a knee replacement. I'm a reasonably active guy my 50's who has an IT job where I sit at a desk. How long after a knee replacement would I likely be comfortable going back to work. I've seen people taking 3-4 weeks which is way more that I thought. I've had arthroscopic surgery done on both my knees and was only out a day or two. What has been other people's experience?
I had 10 weeks of rehab.....but I also had both knees done at same time. Don't rush your rehab....many "warriors " tried the old I don't need no rehab....and screwed the replacement up....not good.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
It depends on which knee is replaced of course. I had my left knee replaced so I was able to drive myself to all of my PT sessions starting with the first one 4 days after the surgery. As everyone has said, do the PT as directed and remember that this is one of those times where pain at your PT session equals progress. Oh, and don't forget to drink your Ovaltine!!
I felt comfortable to drive after about 4 weeks but I was told that insurers might not cover an accident unless I had a letter from my doctor saying it was OK.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login