OT - Knee Replacement Question

Jun 24, 2024
I'm sure there are plenty of people on the Board that have had a knee replacement. I'm a reasonably active guy my 50's who has an IT job where I sit at a desk. How long after a knee replacement would I likely be comfortable going back to work. I've seen people taking 3-4 weeks which is way more that I thought. I've had arthroscopic surgery done on both my knees and was only out a day or two. What has been other people's experience?
I had 10 weeks of rehab.....but I also had both knees done at same time. Don't rush your rehab....many "warriors " tried the old I don't need no rehab....and screwed the replacement up....not good.

Reactions: LB99

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
It depends on which knee is replaced of course. I had my left knee replaced so I was able to drive myself to all of my PT sessions starting with the first one 4 days after the surgery. As everyone has said, do the PT as directed and remember that this is one of those times where pain at your PT session equals progress. Oh, and don't forget to drink your Ovaltine!!
I felt comfortable to drive after about 4 weeks but I was told that insurers might not cover an accident unless I had a letter from my doctor saying it was OK.

Reactions: CentrevilleLion
Oct 6, 2021
I felt comfortable to drive after about 4 weeks but I was told that insurers might not cover an accident unless I had a letter from my doctor saying it was OK.
Was your insurer assuming you were taking an opioid? Other than that I can't fathom why they would be so restrictive (maybe aftereffects of the anesthesia).

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Was your insurer assuming you were taking an opioid? Other than that I can't fathom why they would be so restrictive (maybe aftereffects of the anesthesia).
I don't remember if I read this or if the doctor told me but I got a letter from him just to be safe

Insurance considerations are equally important. Some insurance companies have policies that may not cover drivers for several weeks after the procedure. Resuming driving too soon after hip replacement surgery without informing the insurer may affect your insurance coverage.

How Soon Can I Drive After Hip Replacement Surgery? - Dr. Eric Giang

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
I had 10 weeks of rehab.....but I also had both knees done at same time. Don't rush your rehab....many "warriors " tried the old I don't need no rehab....and screwed the replacement up....not good.
My sister had a replacement done about 5 years ago. She went to the first rehab session and decided that the pain was too much to bear. She cancelled all rehab. Now 5 years later she is totally happy with the replacement. She is pain free. However, her knee is frozen -- locked in position and can't be bent. She is happy as can be, and just accepts the frozen knee. She walks stiff legged with a cane, and uses a mobile shopping cart in stores. She tells everyone that for her the pain of rehab was not worth having a flexible knee.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce58
Jun 24, 2024
My sister had a replacement done about 5 years ago. She went to the first rehab session and decided that the pain was too much to bear. She cancelled all rehab. Now 5 years later she is totally happy with the replacement. She is pain free. However, her knee is frozen -- locked in position and can't be bent. She is happy as can be, and just accepts the frozen knee. She walks stiff legged with a cane, and uses a mobile shopping cart in stores. She tells everyone that for her the pain of rehab was not worth having a flexible knee.
Sorry your sister has the limited movement but glad she is happy. I was lucky that I was accustomed to rehab from playing ball...my therapist used that against me and REALLY pushed me...worsted was lying on my stomach with end of the table midway between my hip and knees. I thought that wasn't bad till he placed 20 pounds of weight on each ankle! (To straighten my knee angle) I am lucky to have had great Doctors....as I have survived double knee replacement, hip replacement, and 2 cancer surgeries, Either God doesn't want me or the Devil isn't finished with me!

• Wow
Reactions: CoachET
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login