OT: Madison vs Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
Brandon, I live in county just a few mile from the city limits. Good schools, crime is low, and unemployment is very low considering. Had one daughter who went to Brandon and my youngest went to NWR. Cost of living is much better than Madison.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Move to West Ridgeland. Its better than both. By a long shot.

Puppychow

Nov 5, 2014
I’d recommend Madison, the best city and the best schools in MS. Gluckstadt and Brandon are nice, but it’s not even close. And buy a home in Reunion. It’s easily the finest neighborhood in the metro. Lakes, beach, boating, outdoor concerts, food trucks, equestrian complex, paved jogging trails, golf, massive clubhouse, pools, parks, activities. My kids love living here. They ride golf carts to go fishing, swimming and playing ball. My mom lives down the street. Loves it.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Ditto. I’m close to Rez with Canton address but live right behind Madison. Where I’m at feels like the sticks but I’m at Kroger in 10 mins. My brother lives near the Rez on the other side in Rez Brandon. I really don’t think you can go wrong either side. Both are close enough to all the essentials. Really the only difference is liquor stores on the madison side. Maybe a touch “looser” vibe. I think you get a little more bang for your buck on the Rankin side but I made a windfall buying in G’stadt in ‘15 & moving in ‘21 so you can’t go wrong either way from the value comparison.

If I could live anywhere else in the state it would be Pass Christian, MS.

Mafiadawg

Nov 5, 2013
All the public schools are fairly good. Germantown, north of Madison is a very good school.

If I did private school, MRA would be my choice. Prep and JA are good. If you are loaded, Saint Andrews is very good.

Germantown has been having tons of full scale brawls lately. Place seems to be going down the tube.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Germantown has been having tons of full scale brawls lately. Place seems to be going down the tube.

This is well chronicled on Jackson Jambalaya.

There is an issue with kids from out of the school zone (mostly living in Jackson and Canton) using a relative's address to enroll in Germantown (not sure if this is an issue at MC). Two of my best friends have kids at Germantown and one of their wive's is a teacher there.

At NWR, I do see out of county tags (mostly Scott/Leake) in carpool lines (these are likely families living around Carthage who drive to work in the metro). I don't think this is widespread at NWR though.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I had to spend Friday and Saturday nights in Hattiesburg last month. The traffic on 98 and Hardy was pure insanity. If I was given choices there's no way I'd sign up for that every day of my life.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Its a regional airport, but Pine Belt has United Connection to Houston (IAH)

You would more or less have to drive to New Orleans or GPT for most flights and Jackson does at least have an airport, however crappy.

And I have found several "good" deals to fly out of there. Free parking too.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I take Lincoln Road fairly often going back and forth between Oak Grove and Hattiesburg.

One day, Hattiesburg and Lamar counties are going to have to rework Lincoln and 4th for improved traffic flow. 4th street isn’t too bad now but Lincoln could stand some improvement from Oak Grove Road to Old 11.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I want to give Pine Belt another chance. I just haven’t found the right flight for it after the Delta - Northwest merger. Those Memphis flights were great back when it was a hub.

The other airlines that have since served Pine Belt haven’t given me good connections yet but I keep looking.

I’ve not looked seriously since United has had the flights though.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Bellevue.

Canebrake is nice. I have family living there. The neighborhood got power back on the Thursday morning after Katrina hit thanks in large part to buried power lines.

98 is the obvious direction Hattiesburg had to grow what with Petal being to the east and Camp Shelby is to the south. 98 is towards I-59 and more land.

Hattiesburg just doesn’t have enough good east-west roads.

98 is the only good one with 4th Street and Lincoln Road being alternatives.

The past several years though there’s been growth northward into the southern part of Jones County and South Jones’ enrollment has gone up too.

Why was there basically no growth north up 49? Seems crazy to me that people are signing up for 30+ minute commutes in Mississippi when there is basically nothing east and north of the country club that I'm aware of.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don’t know who all owns the land between the country club and 49 but the Bouie River runs parallel to 49 on its east until it turns towards 49 just north of the 49-42 intersection.

Edit to add: A lot of the land to the southeast of Hattiesburg Country Club is USM’s old Van Hook Golf Course.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t know who all owns the land between the country club and 49 but the Bouie River runs parallel to 49 on its east until it turns towards 49 just north of the 49-42 intersection.

Edit to add: A lot of the land to the southeast of Hattiesburg Country Club is USM’s old Van Hook Golf Course.

Yea, I figured east would be wet lands and/or flood prone, but seems like at some point there would be some development north on the west side of 49. Granted that's not a good school district I assume (either Hattiesburg or I guess Forrest County, which i never hear anything about), but you've already got people tied to PCS or the catholic school, seems like there'd be a market for new homes there.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you want to send your kids to private schools (or don't have kids), maybe. You really want to be in the Madison Central zone if you're in Madison County. Germantown zone is OK, but definitely a dropoff from MC.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That area you mention would be the Rawls Springs area which would be in the Forrest County district and likely attend North Forrest High School.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Tons of people are moving back into the City of Hattiesburg with the good leadership and the explosion of growth the whole area is experiencing. It's really crazy the growth around Hattiesburg right now.

Bellegrass is way overpriced. If you're want a cookie cutter house with no yard, and enjoy your neighbors drama than it's your place. And for ***** sake please stop with the #BetterInBellegrass hashtag. It's not Rosemary Beach.
You might as well buy a house in Lake Serene or Canebrake. Both are nice, along with Woodstone, Bridgefield, Bent Creek, Fieldstone, Sandstone and a few others.

mrbinsdog

Aug 23, 2012
Flora is nice

Got a Mayberry, RFD feel to it, if you like that. Downtown Flora is growing. Tri County Academy. Cool place.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Tons of people are moving back into the City of Hattiesburg with the good leadership and the explosion of growth the whole area is experiencing. It's really crazy the growth around Hattiesburg right now.
This is accurate. It’s really hard to explain all the activity down there right now but the economy is very good.

RBDog82

Sep 14, 2008
Why not rent before buying and check one of them out? I’ve got several rentals in Madison, specifically the Madison Station Elementary school zone. Shoot me a message if renting is an option and I can let you know if I have any available.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
johnson86-1 summarized it pretty well earlier in the thread.

It’s a university town (two of them with Carey also having an Osteopathy school), the medical center of the pine belt region, and has good industries.

It also has the best brewery in the state.

Hattiesburg is what Oxford & Starkville aspire to be.

No sarcasterisks.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012

It’s a university town (two of them with Carey also having an Osteopathy school), the medical center of the pine belt region, and has good industries.

No sarcasterisks.

Except the crime has blown the hell up and everyone lives in Petal or OG or Purvis or Sumrall and not Hattiesburg. The actual city of Hattiesburg has really gone down the last decade. It's damn near little Jackson these days. Gangs and shootings all over the damn place. Even a MSU guy can't save it with his restaurants. And let's not even attempt to compare game days. Hattiesburg was great about 1995-2010.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Do you like brick and everything looking the same? **

Seriously though your money will go further in rankin county. Still have access to liquor just down Lakeland. Reservoir has nice areas so does Brandon. Can get good internet in most of the neighborhoods around Brandon and Brandon res. Good schools. Res area you aren't that far from enjoying both restaurant areas.

I don't live in the area any more. But we went through that decision and we got the most bang for buck in rankin county at the time. That may be different now.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007

No sarcasterisks.
Oof, got a little too cocky. I understand though. MSU was originally planned to be in Jackson...lawd have mercy. Imagine Ole Miss in Oxford, Mississippi State in Jackson, and LSU in Baton Rouge. There would be no modern day USM. No sarcasterisks.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
If you have to ask then that's really all that needs to be said. That's what everyone is thinking that's not saying anything

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Except the crime has blown the hell up and everyone lives in Petal or OG or Purvis or Sumrall and not Hattiesburg. The actual city of Hattiesburg has really gone down the last decade. It's damn near little Jackson these days. Gangs and shootings all over the damn place. Even a MSU guy can't save it with his restaurants. And let's not even attempt to compare game days. Hattiesburg was great about 1995-2010.
Ask me how to spot a 55 year old.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The history of where Mississippi’s universities were supposed to be located is pretty storied.

Meridian was also a possible potential site for MSU’s main campus. And Ole Miss could have been on the coast (Mississippi City — now part of modern day Gulfport).

No way that Southern Miss would have been in Hattiesburg then.

The Story of Mississippi is Ongoing Horrible Decisions.

No sarcasterisks.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Better wake up, Pappaw. Toby Barker's mayor now.

Johnny DuPree - God bless him, he was a good county supervisor (my father was a supervisor for Jasper County when he was in office and liked him) - but DuPree's skills didn't translate well at all
(edit: looking back on some things he was good in his first couple terms but that 2013 election was weird) to city government.

He should have stayed on as supervisor and then transitioned to that State Senate seat currently held by Juan Barnett (former mayor of my hometown who I also like).

Hattiesburg's population went up by nearly 20 percent (up by around 7,000 people in 30 years at least according to wikipedia) and the metro area has increased by over 40,000 folks.

The Hub City has had a lot of growing pains and a lot of that's due to Hurricane Katrina.

Many of the positives and negatives that Hattiesburg has had can be attributed to how the people through economic development as well through their involvement in the city and county governments of Forrest and Lamar counties have responded to the changes wrought by Katrina.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Bellegrass is way overpriced. If you're want a cookie cutter house with no yard, and enjoy your neighbors drama than it's your place. And for ***** sake please stop with the #BetterInBellegrass hashtag. It's not Rosemary Beach.
You might as well buy a house in Lake Serene or Canebrake. Both are nice, along with Woodstone, Bridgefield, Bent Creek, Fieldstone, Sandstone and a few others.

Is Bellegrass different from Bellevue? The neighborhood developed by the same guy that did Canebrake is decidedly not cookie cutter. Definitely has consistent styling, but that's different from having a neighborhood with 400 houses and only 5 house plans. The lack of yard is accurate. The idea behind those types of neighborhoods is to have shared green space and more community by having porches close to the street and narrower lots to promote walking and interaction between neighbors. There is a similar one on the coast in north gulfport (the name escapes me) and it was very nice (I was told the original developers basically sold out to a cookie cutter builder though and it's going down hill). There is also Traditions which is even further north Gulfport (or maybe biloxi, but it's straight north from gulfport on 605) with the same philosophy. I'm not sure I'd like the philosophy as much with toddlers through kindergarten b/c you wouldn't have a fenced back yard (or at least not a big one) to just let the kids go play in. But once the kids are old enough to go to the park without supervision, that seems like it'd be great.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Sound advice. Another tip. Do not make an offer on a house whose foundation is set at an elevation lower than the elevation of the street or road providing access to the property.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
We will both be working remote. So we can take that out of the equation.

This was the perfect example of how people fail to read and are ready to comment. I saw that in the initial post and was just shaking my head about all the advice and agreement based on poor reading comprehension.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Bellegrass (as well as Canebrake) is in the Bellevue community.

Edit to add: I didn't realize you were talking about Bellegrass earlier in the thread. Your mentioning of Belle View made me think of the Bellevue community.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I must be missing the good part of Hattiesburg when I drive through. 49 is as tragic as Hwy 12 is in Starkville, the bypass is pretty non-descript. They do have a good coffee shop/record store that I frequent on my way through, but nothing I see makes me want to live there.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah, you're going north-south in a city where everything runs east-west.

And T-Bones is awesome.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
From the perspective of someone who has lived in the area for the last few years, I would highly suggest the Gluckstadt area. It has a small town vibe to it, schools don't seem to be terrible, and there are plenty of places on the east side of I-55 that are reasonable. Look out for foundation issues in houses here though, but that can be said for the entire metro area.

Madison is nice, but if you don't want to be part of the hustle and bustle, maybe look in the area towards the Rez? I found some pretty good deals on both newer style and older style homes.

If I were to live in Brandon, I would probably choose to live outside of city limits, and there were several options here as well. Can't go wrong with Rankin County in the Brandon School District. Stay away from Crossgates unless their water problems have been fixed recently (last I checked they haven't). Anything nice with a Brandon address should be good and you should at least have cable internet if not multiple fiber choices in these areas.

Your biggest issue here is going to be battling inflation and availability caused by the current political climate as well as the crazy influx of interest in this area the past few years. Whether this be because of the Amazon facility or some other driving factor, it is common to see a good home hit the market then be contract pending within 24 hours. My advice would be to keep an open mind to any of the three areas mentioned above, and find a realtor that will help you get a leg up on the market and start hitting it hard. See a house you like? Don't wait to purchase because it will go fast.

Out of curiosity, what are the “water problems” you speak of in Crossgates?

My family had 2 different houses in Crossgates when I was growing up. Used to be a decent family neighborhood way back in the day (30+ years ago), but I’m sure that has changed a bit. I took a drive through there for old time’s sake about 4-5 years back when I was just passing through the area, and it seemed to be really hit-or-miss.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Out of curiosity, what are the “water problems” you speak of in Crossgates?

My family had 2 different houses in Crossgates when I was growing up. Used to be a decent family neighborhood way back in the day (30+ years ago), but I’m sure that has changed a bit. I took a drive through there for old time’s sake about 4-5 years back when I was just passing through the area, and it seemed to be really hit-or-miss.
It’s not a big deal. Brandon is in the middle of upgrading a lot of its utility infrastructure, so there are hiccups and of course, people *****.

Crossgates is fine. Obviously aged, but still a good neighborhood. It’s not going to ‘go downhill’ anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login