OT: Madison vs Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Except the crime has blown the hell up and everyone lives in Petal or OG or Purvis or Sumrall and not Hattiesburg. The actual city of Hattiesburg has really gone down the last decade. It's damn near little Jackson these days. Gangs and shootings all over the damn place. Even a MSU guy can't save it with his restaurants. And let's not even attempt to compare game days. Hattiesburg was great about 1995-2010.

Yeah that’s just not accurate at all. Hattiesburg is ten times better now than it was in 95-2010 and finally has great leadership. You must be a simpleton from Petal. I hear y’all finally got a Mccalasters

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I live in Madison and like it. I did live in gluckstadt for a few years and hated it but my job is in downtown Jackson, so you won’t have the drive issue that I had.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either one. I’d just find the house you like best and go with that. I don’t think there is much difference in the two towns.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Moving to one of the two areas. Married, two kids under 3. Working remote. Wanting to buy in one of the two places, raise a family, and be there for many years to come.
Please discuss the positives and negatives of both.

If this is what you have to choose from, I would choose Madison. Brandon was great....in the 80's

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
Flora is awesome.

my in laws live in flora. I’d rather slide down a 50 foot razor blade into a pool of alcohol than live there. No offense to the other fine residents of Flora. Madison is too close to them. That’s part of the reason we are moving.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If this is what you have to choose from, I would choose Madison. Brandon was great....in the 80's
Dumb. Brandon hasn’t ever been great….only decent. At this point it’s good but not great. It’s just now really beginning it’s ascension, and has the potential to be great if they do it right.

You must be one of those who grew up in Crossgates in the 80s and thinks everything is going down because it’s not the same small town life you fell in love with, back before Brandon even had a McDonalds. Or one of those folks who bought land in Pelahatchie and think East Rankin is the only place on earth.

Always chasing that ‘new’. Ultimately it doesn’t exist.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Real pimps lived in Easthaven in Brandon.

The Hills of Crossgates were ok, as was East Gates, but the real players lived in Easthaven. Brandon is a step down from Madison but your dollar also goes farther there. And of course if you live in east Brandon or eastern Rankin county you have easy access to Bienville National forest for all your hunting needs.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
It’s not a big deal. Brandon is in the middle of upgrading a lot of its utility infrastructure, so there are hiccups and of course, people *****.

Crossgates is fine. Obviously aged, but still a good neighborhood. It’s not going to ‘go downhill’ anytime soon.

I guess I was wondering if it was a water quality issue, or more of a flooding issue (like around the lake).

Got curious and checked Zillow, and it seems like the majority of Crossgates would be what would now be called starter homes (3 BR, 2 BA, 1500-1800 sq ft, etc). Of course in the 70’s when they were all built, that was considered a normal family home size for a family with 1 or 2 kids. Was a very mature neighborhood even in the 80’s and 90’s….I guess even moreso now.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Dumb. Brandon hasn’t ever been great….only decent. At this point it’s good but not great. It’s just now really beginning it’s ascension, and has the potential to be great if they do it right.

You must be one of those who grew up in Crossgates in the 80s and thinks everything is going down because it’s not the same small town life you fell in love with, back before Brandon even had a McDonalds. Or one of those folks who bought land in Pelahatchie and think East Rankin is the only place on earth.

Always chasing that ‘new’. Ultimately it doesn’t exist.

Generally like your posts, but am very disappointed in your choice of approach - too many false assumptions.

So "no" I did not grow up in the Crossgates (of Hell) in the 80's. And, "no" I don't think everything is going down, but I never "fell in love" with it initially. In fact, I'm more one of those people who who would say that Jackson is the city of "last resort" in Mississippi with very little around it that is desirable or salvagable.

So to clarify, if I had to choose between the lesser of these two evils - I recommend Madison. Brandon has less upside potential and less to offer.

I don't pursue the "new" -- I pursue options....lots of options...and potential. So check your assumptions at the front door.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Generally like your posts, but am very disappointed in your choice of approach - too many false assumptions.

So "no" I did not grow up in the Crossgates (of Hell) in the 80's. And, "no" I don't think everything is going down, but I never "fell in love" with it initially. In fact, I'm more one of those people who who would say that Jackson is the city of "last resort" in Mississippi with very little around it that is desirable or salvagable.

So to clarify, if I had to choose between the lesser of these two evils - I recommend Madison. Brandon has less upside potential and less to offer.

I don't pursue the "new" -- I pursue options....lots of options...and potential. So check your assumptions at the front door.
If you are not one of the groups I mentioned, good, so let's look at the big picture here.

I don't disagree with you. But we are all MSU fans here, and chances are high that we're all native Mississippians. If we truly care about MSU, then the point so many don't get is that we have no choice. Jackson MUST survive.....somehow. If you want an urban area in Mississippi, it's the Jackson Metro - period. That's where the jobs are. Suburban area, you have the Memphis Metro. Gulfport/Biloxi in the middle. After that, you have a number of decent towns in Hattiesburg and Tupelo. Then you have the small towns that are OK, Starkville (and Golden Triangle area) Oxford, etc. That's all we got.

You have the surrounding areas like Memphis, Huntsville and Birmingham where MSU alumni can live and still go to games. But we need the state itself to thrive. So why sit here and bash? Madison and Brandon are the best options there, and we run them down. A town is only as good as its citizens. We all know the reality of Jackson. No need to catvet this thing.

But back to the point - Brandon was nothing but a small town on the outskirts in the 80s. Now it is a legitimate suburb with direct access to Jackson. It really needs to succeed.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
my in laws live in flora. I’d rather slide down a 50 foot razor blade into a pool of alcohol than live there. No offense to the other fine residents of Flora. Madison is too close to them. That’s part of the reason we are moving.
So.... you're moving from Madison (my assumption) because Flora is too close to Madison? I'm confused. Also, I don't live in Flora.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
So.... you're moving from Madison (my assumption) because Flora is too close to Madison? I'm confused. Also, I don't live in Flora.

Yea. Being 15 minutes away doesn’t deter unannounced pop ins for some people. Hopefully 45 minutes will do the trick.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
If you are not one of the groups I mentioned, good, so let's look at the big picture here.

I don't disagree with you. But we are all MSU fans here, and chances are high that we're all native Mississippians. If we truly care about MSU, then the point so many don't get is that we have no choice. Jackson MUST survive.....somehow. If you want an urban area in Mississippi, it's the Jackson Metro - period. That's where the jobs are. Suburban area, you have the Memphis Metro. Gulfport/Biloxi in the middle. After that, you have a number of decent towns in Hattiesburg and Tupelo. Then you have the small towns that are OK, Starkville (and Golden Triangle area) Oxford, etc. That's all we got.

You have the surrounding areas like Memphis, Huntsville and Birmingham where MSU alumni can live and still go to games. But we need the state itself to thrive. So why sit here and bash? Madison and Brandon are the best options there, and we run them down. A town is only as good as its citizens. We all know the reality of Jackson. No need to catvet this thing.

But back to the point - Brandon was nothing but a small town on the outskirts in the 80s. Now it is a legitimate suburb with direct access to Jackson. It really needs to succeed.

Being an MSU fan (or not) is irrelevant to this conversation. "It is a simple question: Brandon or Madison?" I chose Madison as an opinion for my specific lifestyle. You attack ("dumb" - I believe was the word you selected) and now you deflect to "the bigger picture," as if it were a form of an olive branch.

If it is an economic development discussion you want, the SPS archives are rife with these discussions, and I recommend you revive those in another thread, if your heart so desires.

As for the original poster, my opinion is one grain of sand on this beach of opinions -- take mine for what it's worth....or don't. Won't affect my day either way

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

At the risk of outing Mr. Cook, I'll just say he's a native Mississippian who is well traveled and has lived in several diverse metropolitan and rural areas of the US (e.g., the Midwest, Texas, Northeast, and the Southeast) & may be one of the more agnostic Mississippians I know when it comes to the potential of the state and its individual cities and counties. The paragraph in the above quote succinctly describes his thoughts.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He could be happy Leatha's moved there.

(I still think Leatha's was better when it was still in Marion County.)

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Damn, and I thought I was pessimistic. Jackson is not the city of last resort in Mississippi. It's the only city. It's certainly far down my list of places I'd want to live, even in Mississippi, but it is where a lot of jobs are and will continue to be. That said, I think Madison is safe for a long while. Maybe not where you want to live if you want your children and grand children to come back to/stay to make a career and raise a family, but it's likely going to be a nice enough place for the next few decades.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Being an MSU fan (or not) is irrelevant to this conversation. "It is a simple question: Brandon or Madison?" I chose Madison as an opinion for my specific lifestyle. You attack ("dumb" - I believe was the word you selected) and now you deflect to "the bigger picture," as if it were a form of an olive branch.

If it is an economic development discussion you want, the SPS archives are rife with these discussions, and I recommend you revive those in another thread, if your heart so desires.

As for the original poster, my opinion is one grain of sand on this beach of opinions -- take mine for what it's worth....or don't. Won't affect my day either way
Fair enough. I always see the anti-MS attitude creep in, and you just happened to be the recipient of my rant. So it goes.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Moving to one of the two areas. Married, two kids under 3. Working remote. Wanting to buy in one of the two places, raise a family, and be there for many years to come.

Please discuss the positives and negatives of both.

Two kids under three and both of you working remote, I'd recommend Brandon as you'll want the biggest house (3BR and 2 Offices) you can possibility afford that is still in a good school district. This will most likely be found in 39042 Brandon. I'm in 39047 and we have Cspire Fiber and it is awesome, so you may want to concentrate your search to neighborhoods with fiber to the home.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
There is a great discussion on this topic on Everybody Loves Raymond discussing how close to live to parents and in-laws. You want to be in the sweet spot. Too close it's every day. Too far they spend the night or the week. Right in the middle just outside the every day zone is the sweet spot once every few weeks for few hours. Also don't live in a tourist destination then you get everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login