OT: MSU Housing Issues

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
People with influence and money get better perks. What a shocker.**

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
Bullshitt, don't fall for that. That one email by that employee is bad and should never have been sent. But this is a hit piece, by a rag with an agenda. It does come at an interesting time just after Shad has been squabbling with the school. Maybe this is payback for Sid Salter's response.

But overall (on this topic), Sid had the right approach - "what university doesn't try to accommodate requests in an effort to get the best students?" He needs to leave it at that and tell the next reporter who calls about it to get bent. And they may say this is all about "socioeconomic" strata, but that's a lie. You can tell what it's about because they obviously asked Sid about race specifically. They didn't ask "do only rich people get the best rooms?"... they asked him specifically about race.

Does anyone really believe Mississippi State University -- which has the highest nonwhite enrollment in the SEC, I believe -- is racist?? WTF. That's about the biggest crock of shiit I've seen in a while. And why the **** aren't they in Oxford right now if they feel the need to talk about race to get clicks? Because it's a targeted article, that's why. There's plenty more to talk about over there than in Starkville, but here they are.

This is a ridiculous f'ing article trying to make us look bad (and using race probably ups their chances of winning another pulitzer), by a terrible racebaiting supposed 'media' outlet. 17 them.
My comment wasn’t directed to the University, just the “People’s University” nickname.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Spent my freshmen year in all the palatial glory Hightower had to offer. Then it was on to University Commons where two of my dumbass roommates were pikes and spent their days smoking the foam out of their couch cushions, sighting in their bows in the wall by the water heater, and putting barstools through their bedroom walls and ceilings. Good times I tell ya. And how could I forget the time one came in drunk about 1:00 and decided he was hungry and made up a box of scalloped potatoes and put them in the oven. He then went to take a piss and promptly passed out leaning against the bathroom door. The apartment woke up to the oven timer going off ( that being the smoke alarm). I come out of my bedroom and can't see the far wall of the apartment for the smoke. Just before I was going to pull the fire alarm he stumbles his drunk *** back in the den and says he guesses his potatoes are ready. Our apartment stunk for a month.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I would be annoyed if I found out I was bumped from a dorm I wanted due to a kid with wealthier parents getting my spot.
It may be reality, but it can still suck.

But I would be annoyed mostly because in almost every instance the wealth is from parents and not the student. I simply dislike tying any higher education decisions to parental income or wealth. The parents aren't going to college- their adult kid is going to college.
Tying any financial decisions or valuations to parents is 17ing turrble.

You are educating the kid- focus on the kid's potential value to the university.
You are educating the kid- financial aid should be tied to the kid's potential earnings.

dawgflo

Nov 17, 2021
This isn't a problem. This has happened at every Higher Education Institution in America since residence halls were created. Surely y'all don't think that where people live isn't influenced by who they are OR who they know.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
As long as the kid's parents are giving to NIL, they can have any dorm they want. Honestly, if that parent wants to give 5 million to NIL they can have the Keenum's house for a semester.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I know this is happening for a fact, but not just for kids with rich parents. I walked on the football team the summer before my junior year. After the summer before fall camp, I was asked to come back in the spring, but I told the coach I was done and ready to move on from football. He thanked me for my time and asked if I he could do anything for me. I said I wanted to be in Ruby Hall at the time because I had few friends there. He picked up the phone and made a call. I was told to go fill out an application and it was done. This was the first or second week of August. Some poor kid got kicked out of their dorm because of me.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I know this is happening for a fact, but not just for kids with rich parents. I walked on the football team the summer before my junior year. After the summer before fall camp, I was asked to come back in the spring, but I told the coach I was done and ready to move on from football. He thanked me for my time and asked if I he could do anything for me. I said I wanted to be in Ruby Hall at the time because I had few friends there. He picked up the phone and made a call. I was told to go fill out an application and it was done. This was the first or second week of August. Some poor kid got kicked out of their dorm because of me.
He probably ended up living in a van down by the river.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I don't know how it happened. But somehow I god bumped from Suttle, the vertical ghetto, to Duggar at the last minute. For that I will be forever grateful.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005

Had not heard of this just thought it might be something that pack might want to see given the football season is in the tank, and we need stuff to talk about. So, discuss.
In my day, everyone got a ****** dorm because that's all they had.

Smith, Hamlin, Suttle, Evans man here.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Suttle, the vertical ghetto
Hey Hey, I spent my first year in Suttle, it wasn't ghetto. Maybe a little ratchet, slummish, sub par or condemnable but it was NOT ghetto. I had stayed in some dorms for baseball summer camps in FL, AL and MS and Suttle was top notch compared to them.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
My only issue with living in some of the newer dorms is that if you get a couple of roommates, living off campus is so much cheaper now. It used to not be that way. At least that's from the best that I can tell. I might be wrong.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login