OT: NILish related: How much do you care?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
What percentage of your monthly take home do you consider "worth it" to contribute to the success of MSU football?

It obviously means enough to everyone to be on a sports message board discussing/complaining/arguing about it and we are, after all, fans.

I'm just wondering if my current 0% is in the minority here?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I would do more if I saw some ROI. The motivation isn't there. I'm sure "better" Bulldogs will exclaim you should blindly donate first and success will follow. That's not how I'm wired. It's hard to justify having 2 small kids who are currently MUCH higher up on the totem pole than MSU athletics.

I will say that I go out of my way to spend with businesses who are involved with our NIL.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I am also currently at 0%. I have honestly lost lost interest in college football. I still watch it but just do not care anymore
This. I think I watch more out of nostalgia than anything - I have no idea who any of these players are, and they along with the coaches, fans, and schools all feel increasingly homogenized and interchangeable.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’ve largely held the stance that NIL should truly be for name, image, and likeness (i.e. endorsement deals). I’m not very active on social media, but I follow all of our players in all of our sports so it boosts their follower numbers, which at one point was a metric for them to get some of these deals. It doesn’t cost me anything and it helps them.

But am I going to contribute to a slush fund so some defensive end puts us on his top 5 before he ends up at LSU? No, I will not be doing that.

I’ve also been pretty steadfast in my opinion that if a full scholarship, per diem, healthcare, personal trainers, room & board, campus notoriety, and free apparel aren’t enough to get you to play college football, you should go play in the UFL or the Arena League. Alas, that ship has sailed.

Also, I don’t think NIL is going to matter in 5 years once schools get involved and revenue sharing takes place.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If you are not tithing a full 10% to your church, you need to be giving the rest to our football program.

If you are tithing a full 10% to your church, you're off the hook. But you should still try to contribute something so that one day we might win again.

If you are some sort of godless liberal democrat who does not believe in giving to a church, you should be giving 10% to our football program.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow and Hail State!

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
If you are not tithing a full 10% to your church, you need to be giving the rest to our football program.

If you are tithing a full 10% to your church, you're off the hook. But you should still try to contribute something so that one day we might win again.

If you are some sort of godless liberal democrat who does not believe in giving to a church, you should be giving 10% to our football program.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow and Hail State!
Just like the Bible outlined it.
Matthew 22:21: “Render unto Kevin Coleman the things that are Kevin Coleman’s, and unto God the things that are God's”

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
My feels on the 26th of each month.

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I liked the comparison I saw (maybe on here??) that said what would you say to Jerry Jones (and all of his millions of NFL revenue$, merchandise $ales, etc not to mention the personal fortune he had when he bought the Cowboys) if he had attendants taking money up outside the gates to AT&T stadium saying "OK we signed Dak, now you have to pay up to keep him?"

It's no different from the SEC every year writing that $50 million check to each school and then the schools turning around and saying ok college fans time to pay up to keep these players.

What do you think Jerry would collect from fans? ZERO!

Last edited:

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I liked the comparison I saw (maybe on here??) that said what would you say to Jerry Jones (and all of his millions of NFL revenue$, merchandise $ales, etc not to mention the personal fortune he had when he bought the Cowboys) if he had attendants taking money up outside the gates to AT&T stadium saying OK we signed Dak, now you have to pay up to keep him?

It's no different from SEC every year writing that $50 million check to each school and then the schools turning around and saying ok college fans time to pay up to keep these players. What do you think Jerry would collect from fans? ZERO!
This is me. NIL was intended for the players to be able to earn $ off their Name, Image, and Likeness (duh). This should be a two party system, not three. Someone benefits off a player's NIL, and they pay that player for it. Us fans are not benefitting one cent off a player, but we're expected to be the ones to pay them so the University can continue to reap the benefits? The whole system is FUBAR, and I want no part of it. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it. I have a million things that my money is better used for than to pay to recruit a football player who might play for us one season before he bolts.

To answer the OP, I care about 1%. I watch our games, I root for us to win, but I don't get upset when we don't, and I don't care enough to donate even $1. My money isn't going to fix anything, or make anything better. If I had millions, and could donate enough to make a splash, maybe I'd care a lot more. But in the grand scheme of things, whether or not State wins football games matters very very little in the quality of my life.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Initially, I gave a little bit to baseball but stopped when Lemonis was retained prior to last season. No matter how small the number may have been, I'm not fond of throwing money in the trash

As far as the future goes, I'd be willing to give something in the 2-3% range under the right circumstances, but I'm simply not going to do that until there's significantly more transparency as to where it's going or until our admin finally realize that it can't be a one way street. My gosh... game tickets, signed memorabilia, merch, drawings for specials trips/events.... this isn't hard guys. Put some incentives out there, and I promise that you'll get more average Joes to consider it

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
What percentage of your monthly take home do you consider "worth it" to contribute to the success of MSU football?

It obviously means enough to everyone to be on a sports message board discussing/complaining/arguing about it and we are, after all, fans.

I’m also at $0.

And I’ll repeat what I’ve said previously, if my net income was $100 billion per year, it would still be $0. There’s nothing joyful or rewarding at all to me about reveling in the results of winning a fundraising competition more often than losing it. FBS football has been reduced to nothing more than that. It’s a nice flex for some to say “hey I got this guy here”. Good for them. Does nothing for me.

The whole thing is a giant lie. I won’t even type out or say “college football” anymore, because that’s a lie, too. These kids don’t study, go to class, or do a damn thing more than what has to happen to get paid. Which is no different from most of us in a lot of ways so I’m not hating on them personally, but there’s nothing “college” about it. It’s semi-pro football.

“NIL” is just another lie. All these individuals becoming millionaires off their “name, image, and likeness” are somehow faces that 99.9999999% of even the schools fans and alumni couldn’t pick out of a police line up, and have largely never heard of unless they actively sought them out through the real reason they are being compensated - that they are all, by the most amazing coincidence ever, really REALLY good at some sport. Like, way better than the best dude you ever saw on the intramural field or in a Sanderson pick up game. But, that’s not why they are being paid. It’s just that they are so damn marketable! They have the freshest imaginable social media takes, great fashion sense, and all that. Has nothing to do with anything else.

Student athlete = another lie. Nothing like getting ahead in your academic career and really making yourself stand out for future employers when transferring schools 3-4 times in 4-5 years. That’s what all the highly successful students I’ve ever known have done. You get a much deeper knowledge base from getting to take the same classes 2 or 3 times, due to credit hours not transferring over. Really broadens your perspective.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
This is me. NIL was intended for the players to be able to earn $ off their Name, Image, and Likeness (duh). This should be a two party system, not three. Someone benefits off a player's NIL, and they pay that player for it. Us fans are not benefitting one cent off a player, but we're expected to be the ones to pay them so the University can continue to reap the benefits? The whole system is FUBAR, and I want no part of it. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it. I have a million things that my money is better used for than to pay to recruit a football player who might play for us one season before he bolts.

To answer the OP, I care about 1%. I watch our games, I root for us to win, but I don't get upset when we don't, and I don't care enough to donate even $1. My money isn't going to fix anything, or make anything better. If I had millions, and could donate enough to make a splash, maybe I'd care a lot more. But in the grand scheme of things, whether or not State wins football games matters very very little in the quality of my life.
The system is FUBAR, but the fans have set the price. If every fan from UGA to Arkansas Pine Bluff said we are not paying anything to NIL the players would still play. What would their alternative be? Go play in some football league in Uzbekestan? We also set the market on coaches too.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Why do our fans complain about not getting better players in recruiting, but not help get those players.

Mississippi State: Ranked #1 in Oktibbeha County since 1878

• Love
Reactions: AROB44

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Why do our fans complain about not getting better players in recruiting, but not help get those players.

My sense is that a big swath of people have moved from complaining about recruiting etc, to simply not engaging with college football at all in any meaningful way.

You can see it in this very thread.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
NIL was always meant to be a "do what you can" situation. Unless you can't afford it, you should give what you can. It's about helping your schools athletic programs. If your school loses those (P4), your school as you know it, will not exist.

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
I’m 0%. I enjoy watching. I buy season tickets and t shirts and concessions… and I’m fine with all of that. But I need to pay more money so some 18, 19 20 year old kids will come to Starkville and HOPE they have success ?? I’m out. It feels more like gambling. You get nothing on your return. I can’t even get better seats at the stadium for it. How much do they need to guarantee a natty or to even guarantee a 10 win season? How much is enough? That’s what it’s turned into and that’s when I start to lose interest. I get it… college football has fundamentally changed right in front of our eyes and I’ll still tune in out of habit but it’s not the same. Maybe I’m too old but at this point in life I’d rather take a vacation or go out for a nice dinner.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

I contribute what I can afford. My mood is tied to State doing well in athletics. State sports is my hunting, music, travel, etc. That's my hobby unfortunately.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
0% have the ability but just can’t do, it I have other things to piss money away on. Do I wish we were better? Yes but not enough to pay for it.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I missed two weeks of class because I was on the internet with excitement the weeks we played Florida and Auburn back to back in 2000.
I drove to every game from Nashville during the Croom era.
I was at nearly every home game and several away games during the Mullen years with toddler in tow during the 2014 season.

I don't even know what time we kickoff this weekend. My give a damn on college sports is broken.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
My NIL donation are maybe 0.1%. It's something but not much.

Now if we're talking tickets, bdc dues, merchandise, etc it's probably 2-3% (just football). Don't know that I could justify going over 5% on everything together.

whocanitbenow

Sep 8, 2024

I feel like there'd be a laahhhhhhhht more thumbs up if everyone answered honestly :sneaky:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
This. I think I watch more out of nostalgia than anything - I have no idea who any of these players are, and they along with the coaches, fans, and schools all feel increasingly homogenized and interchangeable.
The Egg Bowl won't mean anything to the players. With that said the best team will win every year. No chance the weaker team getting fired up and upsetting the other team.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think once the Athletic Department gets involved it will be better. I am thinking they will take over the NIL, use both contribution money and profit money.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Because we’re not the ones that have recruiting in our job description, and if NIL is needed to improve, for the love of #%$* stop telling us that NIL is fine and start telling us in detail what is needed

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
My financial commitment is currently capped at the Bulldog club allocation for my season tickets. I maintain those because the family enjoys going, but with other activities going on and the overall state of college athletics (my dissatisfaction with) we attend fewer games. As long as my donation requirement doesn’t go up and I can recover some of my cost by offloading the games we don’t go to, I will maintain them.

As far as NIL goes, I agree with what someone else said. I supported it when it was described for name, image, likeness. The players work hard, generate considerable revenue, and are not really able to hold down any sort of part time employment to help with their expenses, so I was all for that.

I’m not for the fans having to pay the players just to suit up and play. I see it similar to buying stock that has no resale value and pays no dividends. To me contributing to NIL is the equivalent to buying stock in Disney or Universal that I can’t sell and pays no dividends so they will make a better movie and build a better park, just so I can pay them more money to go see the movie or visit the park.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
5 years ago a game like last night would have had me pissed off for 2-3 days. This Saturday I was over it before I put the remote on the coffee table after turning the tv off. I'm still a huge fan and want them to win every game, but as I've gotten older my priorities have changed. I'm trying to raise money for our storm chase team for our camera project and if I'm not at work or doing something with the family, I'm doing that. We haven't gotten to the point where I can just walk down the street and people are pulling over and throwing money at us yet. We're still having to beg and scrap and fight for every penny. So if I'm not trying to raise money, I'm looking to find the best way to spend what money we do have and find places to put new cameras. I just don't have the time or energy to get worked up if a bunch of kids who may well be playing for another team next year score more points than another groups of kids.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login