OT: NILish related: How much do you care?

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
What percentage of your monthly take home do you consider "worth it" to contribute to the success of MSU football?

It obviously means enough to everyone to be on a sports message board discussing/complaining/arguing about it and we are, after all, fans.

I'm just wondering if my current 0% is in the minority here?
My care level is not high enough to put NIL in my "giving tree". I enjoy watching us play football and basketball, but don't care enough to get upset after a loss. Also, like someone else mentioned, it rubs me wrong that the university looks to alumni / fans to contribute financially for their success. Especially when the head coaches, and AD's make what they make. Yes, I understand this is the market we are in, but when a coach makes 5-10MM a year and the AD makes 1-2MM a year and the average alumni / fan makes 75-100K and they look to the fan base to support their success....the more we donate the more they make, this doesn't sit well with me. Would rather give to St. Jude, I know that money helps.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Sounds like I need to drop my 4 football and 4 basketball tickets and throw it all into NIL and be content to watch on tv?
In the system we have, that would do more to get it to change than not giving to NIL.

If you want the universities and league to fund the athletes, as they should, cutting attendance to fund NIL is a message.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
If you want the universities and league to fund the athletes, as they should, cutting attendance to fund NIL is a message.
I disagree. If Wendy’s can maintain the same or higher profits by shutting down the dining room then that’s what they’ll do. The real solution is have it become so unbalanced that there is no longer enough interest nationwide to draw enough viewers and advertisers to feed the system.

As was already mentioned, salaries within athletic departments have gone to a completely new level. This is no longer about amateur athletics, and these are now large businesses and they need to be prepared to come up with business solutions that go beyond just passing the cost along to the customer. If they don’t, then they will go by the wayside and there’s nothing that we as low level consumers of the individual programs can do about it.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Sounds like I need to drop my 4 football and 4 basketball tickets and throw it all into NIL and be content to watch on tv?
No you can't do that, because then you're the ******* in the "why won't anybody show up to watch us play Toledo" thread.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
No you can't do that, because then you're the ******* in the "why won't anybody show up to watch us play Toledo" thread.
Nope no complaint about attendance.

I do think the in stadium atmosphere has to be better

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I disagree. If Wendy’s can maintain the same or higher profits by shutting down the dining room then that’s what they’ll do. The real solution is have it become so unbalanced that there is no longer enough interest nationwide to draw enough viewers and advertisers to feed the system.

As was already mentioned, salaries within athletic departments have gone to a completely new level. This is no longer about amateur athletics, and these are now large businesses and they need to be prepared to come up with business solutions that go beyond just passing the cost along to the customer. If they don’t, then they will go by the wayside and there’s nothing that we as low level consumers of the individual programs can do about it.
That will work. By that logic, there will be 16 teams left in NCAA Sports before anything changes. Sounds like a great plan as a Mississippi state fan.****

If Wendy's got most of the budget from the dining room they would not shut it down.

Also, Give me an example of another "Big Business" that does not "pass along costs to the customer" That's not how big business get to be a big business.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
That will work. By that logic, there will be 16 teams left in NCAA Sports before anything changes. Sounds like a great plan as a Mississippi state fan.****

If Wendy's got most of the budget from the dining room they would not shut it down.

Also, Give me an example of another "Big Business" that does not "pass along costs to the customer" That's not how big business get to be a big business.
But doesn't the customer usually get something in return for their dollars? Or for $10,000 you're saying I can get a 1/25th share of an SEC-average offensive guard on a team striving to get to 6-6?

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
First I think you misunderstood the dining room analogy. The dining room isn’t the football program, the dining room is behinds in the seats vice behinds on the couch in front of the tv (drive thru). Successful businesses look for efficiencies and new ways of doing business and don’t just throw other people’s money at a situation to overcome every hurdle they face. They incentive and reward productivity and cut fat and waste, among other things.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
But doesn't the customer usually get something in return for their dollars? Or for $10,000 you're saying I can get a 1/25th share of an SEC-average offensive guard on a team striving to get to 6-6?
Maybe Neal and Matt could give us a shoutout on the radio…”that field goal was paid for by Donrndawg and Bulldog45. If the bums had kicked in an extra $5k a piece they’d have bought us a touchdown on that drive”.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Sorriest excuse for fans in college athletics - "I could give but I won't"
Not only is this statement asinine, it is objectively wrong. What would happen to football if this was the University’s endorsed message to alumni and followers? How quickly would support dry up completely? Some people can’t see past the end of their nose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Why don’t we have players doing paid advertisements on the Jumbotrons during timeouts? Do the NCAA regulations prohibit that or does the athletic department want the revenue as opposed to having all or some of it go to the NIL?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Fine. Don't give $1,000 to compete with Ohio State.

If you give $0 we are competing with MS Valley

If that's what you want, then don't ***** about how the teams are
Sounds good. I don't remember the last time I heavily complained about how the teams are, so I will continue with that.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
How much for a P4 level 3 star DL? Asking for a guy who never coordinated a defense before arriving in Vegas.

• Love
Reactions: dorndawg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

Depends. Sports in entertainment at it's base.

What do you get in return at the movies? Watching TV? Theater? A Museum? Six Flags? Disneyworld? a Concert?

Do you expect Disney to give you 1/10,000 of the revenue for your week vacation at Disneyworld?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
First I think you misunderstood the dining room analogy. The dining room isn’t the football program, the dining room is behinds in the seats vice behinds on the couch in front of the tv (drive thru). Successful businesses look for efficiencies and new ways of doing business and don’t just throw other people’s money at a situation to overcome every hurdle they face. They incentive and reward productivity and cut fat and waste, among other things.

And I think your analogy falls apart quickly when you compare sports to a business.

I understood what you meant.

The Dining room is the people for in game attendance. That's where most of the money comes from.

The drive thru is making way more money than it was, but it's still not enough to make up for the loss of the dining room.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Why don’t we have players doing paid advertisements on the Jumbotrons during timeouts? Do the NCAA regulations prohibit that or does the athletic department want the revenue as opposed to having all or some of it go to the NIL?

Because NIL implementation was ill thought out.

What you are saying is what everyone expected.

Instead, someone came up with the collectives and after that came about, it broke the system.

I think this has to switch to where the TV money or a large part is will be the league salary caps. I'm not sure if that means there will have to be a players union to get around labor laws. But the current system is not sustainable.

Meanwhile, not participating leaves us behind. And IMO NIL is more important than Bulldog Club, or attending games.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Depends. Sports in entertainment at it's base.

What do you get in return at the movies? Watching TV? Theater? A Museum? Six Flags? Disneyworld? a Concert?

Do you expect Disney to give you 1/10,000 of the revenue for your week vacation at Disneyworld?
I posted this yesterday. Yes, I expect Disney to give me money/value for my investment in the company. The entertainment value I receive for my attendance is separate and comes with the price of admission. I don’t get a ticket discount for being a shareholder. So to me and many others, NIL is an investment, season tickets are the price of admission.

“To me contributing to NIL is the equivalent to buying stock in Disney or Universal that I can’t sell and pays no dividends so they will make a better movie and build a better park, just so I can pay them more money to go see the movie or visit the park.”

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I posted this yesterday. Yes, I expect Disney to give me money/value for my investment in the company. The entertainment value I receive for my attendance is separate and comes with the price of admission. I don’t get a ticket discount for being a shareholder. So to me and many others, NIL is an investment, season tickets are the price of admission.

“To me contributing to NIL is the equivalent to buying stock in Disney or Universal that I can’t sell and pays no dividends so they will make a better movie and build a better park, just so I can pay them more money to go see the movie or visit the park.”

Ok I see the disconnect. Supporting NIL is NOT "Buying Stock." It's buying a parkhaopper, or staying on site at disney. (a better disney analogy is the fast pass.)

I used a trip to Disneyworld on purpose. the amount of money for MSU sports support and that vacation are about equal. You don't expect a cash return on you Disney vacation investment, not should you on your MSU sports investment. Both cost you $10,000 for the entertainment.

Last edited:

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Because NIL implementation was ill thought out.

What you are saying is what everyone expected.

Instead, someone came up with the collectives and after that came about, it broke the system.
To my point and an earlier point I made, are we required to do it the same way as everyone else or can we tailor it to what works best for us? Instead of Richard Schwartz saying “one call that’s all” why not a player on screen with him saying it? Why not a lineman doing the tailgater of the game commercial etc. and the NIL get a cut of the advertising dollars?

HotMop

May 8, 2006
My care level is not high enough to put NIL in my "giving tree". I enjoy watching us play football and basketball, but don't care enough to get upset after a loss. Also, like someone else mentioned, it rubs me wrong that the university looks to alumni / fans to contribute financially for their success. Especially when the head coaches, and AD's make what they make. Yes, I understand this is the market we are in, but when a coach makes 5-10MM a year and the AD makes 1-2MM a year and the average alumni / fan makes 75-100K and they look to the fan base to support their success....the more we donate the more they make, this doesn't sit well with me. Would rather give to St. Jude, I know that money helps.
James R. Downing, the CEO of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, received a base salary of $1.19 million in 2021.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
To my point and an earlier point I made, are we required to do it the same way as everyone else or can we tailor it to what works best for us? Instead of Richard Schwartz saying “one call that’s all” why not a player on screen with him saying it? Why not a lineman doing the tailgater of the game commercial etc. and the NIL get a cut of the advertising dollars?
Because we cannot get Richard Swartz to pay an MSU player $300,000 to 1,000,000 a year?

The system is broken. The collectives made it where it doesn't make sense to do that. Should we have advertisers add to the collective? Yeah.

Strangebrew and Oby's have it where you can add to NIL.

I think our concessions at the games should have a fee that goes to NIL.

But having Ty Cooper 100% supported by Brunt Ward in Louisville, while the intent of NIL, is not how it is.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm not giving money to any NIL slush fund. Outside a few select cases, NIL has virtually nothing to do with "Name, Image, and Likeness" in how it is currently implemented. Some of us here actually do care about the "student athlete" part of college athletics and are not here to fund the salaries of an 18 year old to bounce around schools.

Was the previous system broken? Yes. However, NIL goes too far the other way and long term is worse for college football.

The hard truth is that Mississippi State (along with half of the schools in the SEC) will never be able to compete long term with others in the SEC with this model. The quicker you realize that, the happier you'll be.
I really can't. I am spending roughly $150 a week on food for four people. Before retiring, I gave to the school and the athletic program. Unfortunately, things have not worked out well where I can give money back anymore. If things change in the future, I will start donating again. That does not change how much of a fan I am how much I love the school.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Because we cannot get Richard Swartz to pay an MSU player $300,000 to 1,000,000 a year?

The system is broken. The collectives made it where it doesn't make sense to do that. Should we have advertisers add to the collective? Yeah.

Strangebrew and Oby's have it where you can add to NIL.

I think our concessions at the games should have a fee that goes to NIL.

But having Ty Cooper 100% supported by Brunt Ward in Louisville, while the intent of NIL, is not how it is.
It’s not how it because the athletic department takes the advertising revenue and isn’t willing to share it with the NIL is what I’m hearing you say, so to everyone’s point why isn’t the athletic department willing to share in the burden?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
It’s not how it because the athletic department takes the advertising revenue and isn’t willing to share it with the NIL is what I’m hearing you say, so to everyone’s point why isn’t the athletic department willing to share in the burden?
Because the athletic department / university cannot participate in NIL the way it is now.

I agree that's how it should be... But that's not how it was made.

The NCAA still views the athletic department "Sharing NIL revenue" with athletes as illegal and paying players.

It's incredibly stupid.

But that's the game now.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Because the athletic department / university cannot participate in NIL the way it is now.

I agree that's how it should be... But that's not how it was made.
Can the university show advertisements with athletes during athletic events? Schwartz pays the NIL to provide athletes for the commercials. Commercials are produced and he pays the university to play them during games. Now maybe the university can’t charge as much for the advertisement due to the expense he’s already incurred for the athlete endorsements, but is that viable?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Can the university show advertisements with athletes during athletic events? Schwartz pays the NIL to provide athletes for the commercials. Commercials are produced and he pays the university to play them during games. Now maybe the university can’t charge as much for the advertisement due to the expense he’s already incurred for the athlete endorsements, but is that viable?
They can.

And I'd have to ask someone in charge if we are taking some of the ad revenue and telling them to donate to the collective.

I'd expect to see athletes on screen in basketball or baseball this year, and not football because we had so much turnover and new players.

Edit: I read the a little more and found this, just to make it harder and piss us off more.

• University employees may NOT compensate or arrange compensation to a current or prospective intercollegiate athlete for her or his name, image, likeness.

Last edited:

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
James R. Downing, the CEO of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, received a base salary of $1.19 million in 2021.
And look at all the good he does, Jans and Lebby make almost 4x that.
You aren't comparing apples to apples. St. Jude is dependent on gifts for their revenue, and they do not charge for their services. MSU has large revenue streams from TV, royalty rights, ticket sales....they charge for their product.
I'm sure we could go round and round on this all day. For me, I would rather give to something that I know good is coming out. Perfect example, Tolu, he was given a big NIL deal and then proceeded to give an absolute crap effort much of the season. That is a prime example of why it's hard for me to get on the NIL train.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I really can't. I am spending roughly $150 a week on food for four people. Before retiring, I gave to the school and the athletic program. Unfortunately, things have not worked out well where I can give money back anymore. If things change in the future, I will start donating again. That does not change how much of a fan I am how much I love the school.

I’m a few years behind you.

I retired from the state last year and still work because I still have a house note to pay off.

I earn more than I did previously and paid off my credit card debt— it’s nice not to have to deal with interest money at all this year— but I have to deal with the ol’ money pit.

I’ve spent over $2,000 on maintenance that had to be done this year and was told that I have about $2,500 more in fixes that should be done but can wait a while but maybe I can get it done early next year if things continue to look as good as I think my spreadsheets are saying now.

And then there are health costs (I’ve maxxed out my FSA the past few years), a car note, and other things such as increased grocery and dining out bills but they don’t prevent my giving or opportunities to relax and have fun at concerts.

As far as Mississippi State athletics go, gameday experiences have been horrible, the friends I used to see games with moved away, and it just ain’t as fun to me as it used to be.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

I retired from the state last year and still work because I still have a house note to pay off.

I earn more than I did previously and paid off my credit card debt— it’s nice not to have to deal with interest money at all this year— but I have to deal with the ol’ money pit.

I’ve spent over $2,000 on maintenance that had to be done this year and was told that I have about $2,500 more in fixes that should be done but can wait a while but maybe I can get it done early next year if things continue to look as good as I think my spreadsheets are saying now.

And then there are health costs (I’ve maxxed out my FSA the past few years), a car note, and other things such as increased grocery and dining out bills but they don’t prevent my giving or opportunities to relax and have fun at concerts.

As far as Mississippi State athletics go, gameday experiences have been horrible, the friends I used to see games with moved away, and it just ain’t as fun to me as it used to be.
All of this i understand. sorry retirement is not going as planned.

PS, look in to an HSA vs a FSA. Higher limits, more use flexibility, and you get to roll over the money year to year.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
All of this i understand. sorry retirement is not going as planned.

Actually, “retirement” is going EXTREMELY well.

If I were still an employee of the state as I had expected to be for the next several years, I’d be making much less money than I am now and at the same time have significant credit card debt.

The Mississippi Legislative and Executive bodies DNGAS about state employees.

I retired from the state just in time.

PS, look in to an HSA vs a FSA. Higher limits, more use flexibility, and you get to roll over the money year to year.
So I’ve heard but my current and past employer only work with FSA providers.

Jrobb

May 26, 2020
I am also currently at 0%. I have honestly lost interest in college football. I still watch it but just do not care anymore
I am right there with. Never would have thought that would happen. Used to have season tickets and now I don’t even care if I watch it on TV. Seems like half the team I don’t even know how they got to Starkville.
Even other big games - my Saturdays used to be scheduled by the games that were on TV. Not anymore. And NIL and the open transfer rules did it.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Actually, “retirement” is going EXTREMELY well.

If I were still an employee of the state as I had expected to be for the next several years, I’d be making much less money than I am now and at the same time have significant credit card debt.

The Mississippi Legislative and Executive bodies DNGAS about state employees.

I retired from the state just in time.

So I’ve heard but my current and past employer only work with FSA providers.
Then I'm happy for you.

If you have a Deductible of $1,600 individual or $3,200 for a family, you can do an HSA outside the employer

Jrobb

May 26, 2020
I'm at 0%. My money is going back into my business and my family. I donate directly to the needy from time to time. I cheer for MSU, but I'd cheer for them the same if we started a No NIL League based on regional recruiting only.
How did we get from cheering on your school and its players to now every fan should contribute to a fund that pays them? F that and I make plenty enough to pay them but I don’t want to. They aren’t my kids

Reactions: 85Bears

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Then I'm happy for you.

If you have a Deductible of $1,600 individual or $3,200 for a family, you can do an HSA outside the employer
Huh. I might look into that.

But the big question is can I do both an HSA & FSA or is it only one or the other?

I’m wondering if it’s possible to have both an FSA with a $1,600 Max to take care of the deductible costs and then use an HSA that is a significantly higher amount at the same time.

Right now, my FSA is $3,200 and I’ve got maybe $100 left in it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I had to retire because of my health and because I was asked to. I'm working kind of backward from you on debt. I hope to be clear in a couple of years. Fortunately for us, the wife is still working. I'm working on other ways to get money coming in. I had a nice nest egg, but health problems took a considerable bite. I could be in much worse shape. I'm quite sure I would figure out the way to fund my game trips if I was closer.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Huh. I might look into that.

But the big question is can I do both an HSA & FSA or is it only one or the other?

I’m wondering if it’s possible to have both an FSA with a $1,600 Max to take care of the deductible costs and then use an HSA that is a significantly higher amount at the same time.

Right now, my FSA is $3,200 and I’ve got maybe $100 left in it.
That's past my expertise. I think it's one or the other.

You get to take the HSA donations off your taxes, the money grows tax free, you can invest it like a 401k, and you can use it to pay premiums, and a lot of other expenses. After age 65, it's more flexible to spend.

HSA max is $8300 for a family. I'd have to look the individual limits.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
How did we get from cheering on your school and its players to now every fan should contribute to a fund that pays them? F that and I make plenty enough to pay them but I don’t want to. They aren’t my kids
Capitalism.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Capitalism would be the school paying the players out of the 100M( or whatever it is) the athletic department brings in. Fans paying the players is stupid
Capitalism is getting labor for as cheap as possible (like all other costs), to maximized profiits.

If walmart could pay people less and let the federal government pick up the tab so they could live, they would.

Same here.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login