OT: NILish related: How much do you care?

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Hard to believe that we have two threads on this board a thread on the premium board amoung threads on ED and that other site (247)that have state fans actually boasting about not giving a dime to NiL. It’s not my place to say anything about how you spend your money, but don’t post negative BS on a state board when you don’t do anything to help. You can hate it all you want but 10 bucks a week or 10 dollars a month is something we all can do and yes it does move the needle when we get a large portion of the fan base to do this.
So if I give $5 am I allowed to ***** and moan? Probably has to be $10 to ***** more than once though. Maybe if I give $20 I can say whatever I want, but if I give $50 it'll uncensor the ******* words so I can really get a rant going...

It's just like people who say "don't gripe about politics if you don't vote". My vote, just like my NIL contributions, matters zero zip zilch nada in Mississippi.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
From an article.
Notably, Lebby has a duty to mitigate the buyout owed to him by both the Bulldog Club and the university by finding employment elsewhere after his firing.

The same was true for Arnett, who was fired before the conclusion of the 2023 season. Arnett now works as an analyst at Ole Miss, where he earns $67,800 annually.
Really smart move by Kiffin and Arnett. Dude has an understanding of defense and he's cheap. A Saban-type deal for a university and fans willing to pay to be an elite SEC football program. Arnett has time to redeem himself to get a decent DC gig at some point.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
So if I give $5 am I allowed to ***** and moan? Probably has to be $10 to ***** more than once though. Maybe if I give $20 I can say whatever I want, but if I give $50 it'll uncensor the ******* words so I can really get a rant going...

It's just like people who say "don't gripe about politics if you don't vote". My vote, just like my NIL contributions, matters zero zip zilch nada in Mississippi.
That logic tracks completely.*****

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I've told ya'll before, it's a rich man's game. By rich let's say folks making 250K or more, that have REAL disposable money. Under that amount, depending on how many kids you have, it's hard for me to imagine having anything to give to NIL or whatever, that wouldn't be better served being spent on your family.

MSU's problem is, we have less of these people. We have some though, and they will have to fund NIL. Asking true middle class people to do is asinine.

By and large, it's the same bunch who was probably buying players before, plus about 20-30% maybe who now don't feel as guilty. Perhaps these were folks who had suites and gave big money to the BDC.

But my $100 a month or year or whatever, means zilch.

Reactions: NukeDogg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
This thread is why we will never compete. Never.

10,000 people giving $100 a month is $12 million. That's a Championship Starting offense and defense (per the NYT), with a little left over...

12,000 people giving $100 a month is 14 million and allows a Top men's basketball team.

Waiting on the "Cigar boys" to fund us will have us end up like MS Valley.

Reactions: patdog

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

10,000 people giving $100 a month is $12 million. That's a Championship Starting offense and defense (per the NYT), with a little left over...

12,000 people giving $100 a month is 14 million and allows a Top men's basketball team.

So we all need to 1200 dollars to buy plqyers and you promise a Championship offense and defense in return ? I dont trust our decision makers. We had a 9+ win roster in 2023 and they made poor decisions that set the program back decades.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I am also currently at 0%. I have honestly lost interest in college football. I still watch it but just do not care anymore
Is there a percentage number that accurately reflects my attitude about NIL which currently sits somewhere between "17 this $h!+ and the horse it rode in on" and "17 me in the @$$ if I'm ever caught dead handing money over to these entitled b@$tards"??

"0%" just doesn't seem to adequately express my level of disgust. Maybe Negative 19.83%

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
So we all need to 1200 dollars to buy plqyers and you promise a Championship offense and defense in return ? I dont trust our decision makers. We had a 9+ win roster in 2023 and they made poor decisions that set the program back decades.

The point I was attempting to make was giving a small amount adds up. Playing "poor lil' MSU" is at best counterproductive.

We sell 40,000 season tickets, assuming a family of 4 that is 10,000 people that show interest in the team

We have ~160,000 living alumni, if all of them gave $10 a month, we'd have $19 million a year.

But tell me how we suck and Ole miss is leaving us behind.

Not participating and then bitching about how bad we suck is one way to make us a better program.

Reactions: dorndawg

Balls.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012

I'm not giving money to any NIL slush fund. Outside a few select cases, NIL has virtually nothing to do with "Name, Image, and Likeness" in how it is currently implemented. Some of us here actually do care about the "student athlete" part of college athletics and are not here to fund the salaries of an 18 year old to bounce around schools.

Was the previous system broken? Yes. However, NIL goes too far the other way and long term is worse for college football.

The hard truth is that Mississippi State (along with half of the schools in the SEC) will never be able to compete long term with others in the SEC with this model. The quicker you realize that, the happier you'll be.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Yeah but it all goes to dawgstudent, remember he still has eligibility. Have you seen his highlight tape? It's only 1 play but you can see the potential is there

Tape of HD and DS fighting outside a Barnhill's circa 2004.

Wrestling Japan GIF by THE WRESTLERS

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Again more **** of deflecting saying I won’t give. My donations won’t make a difference don’t understand how it works. I challenge each of you naysayers to email or call Charlie and let him at least talk to you about the need and what each of us can do. I doubt anyone will cause we like to be negative and say I won’t give **** cause I don’t believe in players gettin paid

Reactions: ChE1997

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Hard to believe that we have two threads on this board a thread on the premium board amoung threads on ED and that other site (247)that have state fans actually boasting about not giving a dime to NiL. It’s not my place to say anything about how you spend your money, but don’t post negative BS on a state board when you don’t do anything to help. You can hate it all you want but 10 bucks a week or 10 dollars a month is something we all can do and yes it does move the needle when we get a large portion of the fan base to do this.
Again more **** of deflecting saying I won’t give. My donations won’t make a difference don’t understand how it works. I challenge each of you naysayers to email or call Charlie and let him at least talk to you about the need and what each of us can do. I doubt anyone will cause we like to be negative and say I won’t give **** cause I don’t believe in players gettin paid

You sure do say a lot about how people spend their money, for someone that says its not their place to say how people should spend their money.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006

Sorry, not sorry. If you bothered to read my response and still want to come at me with that nonsense then I implore you to go **** yourself.

Reactions: 85Bears

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I'm not giving money to any NIL slush fund. Outside a few select cases, NIL has virtually nothing to do with "Name, Image, and Likeness" in how it is currently implemented. Some of us here actually do care about the "student athlete" part of college athletics and are not here to fund the salaries of an 18 year old to bounce around schools.

Was the previous system broken? Yes. However, NIL goes too far the other way and long term is worse for college football.

The hard truth is that Mississippi State (along with half of the schools in the SEC) will never be able to compete long term with others in the SEC with this model. The quicker you realize that, the happier you'll be.
I'm not "Happy with it" nor do I think the current model is sustainable or has anything to do with Name, Image, and Likeness.

But this is the system we have and everyone else, Including Ole Miss, is doing it better than we are.

Pouting about" but i don't like it and stomping your feet about how spoiled they are" wont change jack ****.

I see why now. I'll adjust my expectations. We will suck in everything until the system changes, or we change.

Welcome to 1948-1991 Mississippi State. Might as well play sell out our home games, and play the rest in Jackson.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

It’s cute that you think emotionally charged, expletive filled hard sell tactics will change people’s minds.

If anything you’re just alienating people even more…

People have reasons to give. People have reasons not to give.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
What percentage of your monthly take home do you consider "worth it" to contribute to the success of MSU football?

It obviously means enough to everyone to be on a sports message board discussing/complaining/arguing about it and we are, after all, fans.

I'm just wondering if my current 0% is in the minority here?
I am currently 0% and will remain so for the foreseeable future. I did hear this morning that Ohio State spent $20 million on their roster this year. Is that even remotely possible for us even with everyone contributing significant money?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
It’s cute that you think emotionally charged, expletive filled hard sell tactics will change people’s minds.

If anything you’re just alienating people even more…

People have reasons to give. People have reasons not to give.
There are plenty of reasons to not give.

And plenty of reasons to not care, But here we are on a MSU sports board. I assumed becasued we cared about how the teams are.

Now I'm not sure what the point is.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I am currently 0% and will remain so for the foreseeable future. I did hear this morning that Ohio State spent $20 million on their roster this year. Is that even remotely possible for us even with everyone contributing significant money?
If only there was something like math to figure out how many people would have to give how much per month.....

If every season ticket sold gave $42 a month.... What's 40,000*42*12?

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think they still watch the games but they just don’t care like they used to.
Without a doubt, that's the case with me. I don't know if it's because I'm just older and hopefully wiser, but us losing a game we should have won or us sucking royally used to frustrate me to no end. But now it's about as tough on me as a movie not turning out the way I thought it would or wanted it to. It's "dang, I was hoping Jack and Dianne end up together in the end. Oh well. . ." That's about it.

Reactions: 85Bears

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And plenty of reasons to not care, But here we are on a MSU sports board. I assumed becasued we cared about how the teams are.

Many people cared about how the teams *were* but when there’s a seismic change in college athletics occurring during a global economic recession it’s understandable that folks want to examine and potentially change their priorities.

Balls.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not "Happy with it" nor do I think the current model is sustainable or has anything to do with Name, Image, and Likeness.

But this is the system we have and everyone else, Including Ole Miss, is doing it better than we are.

Pouting about" but i don't like it and stomping your feet about how spoiled they are" wont change jack ****.

I see why now. I'll adjust my expectations. We will suck in everything until the system changes, or we change.

Welcome to 1948-1991 Mississippi State. Might as well play sell out our home games, and play the rest in Jackson.
There are more important things my money can go towards, especially in relation to the university. I'm not donating to fund a quasi-pro team that happens to have a Miss State sticker slapped on the helmet when the overall quality of education the university provides hasn't improved much in recent decades.

That's not a "po wittle MSU" mentality, it's a reality. NIL/transfer portal in it's current form just turns non blue chip programs into feeder programs and getting in an arms race with A&M, Texas, LSU, Bama, and Georgia in our backyard is a bad investment.

Why would I ultimately care if State goes 3-9 when most of the starters are playing next year on a different team?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
There are more important things my money can go towards, especially in relation to the university. I'm not donating to fund a quasi-pro team that happens to have a Miss State sticker slapped on the helmet when the overall quality of education the university provides hasn't improved much in recent decades.

That's not a "po wittle MSU" mentality, it's a reality. NIL/transfer portal in it's current form just turns non blue chip programs into feeder programs and getting in an arms race with A&M, Texas, LSU, Bama, and Georgia in our backyard is a bad investment.

Why would I ultimately care if State goes 3-9 when most of the starters are playing next year on a different team?
I understand.

And I agree that the NIL budget should come from the TV money.

I think it will.

But until then, this is the system we have. And our fanbase seems to be ok with us being in 1948 again.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
So, if we’re in a conference with TCU, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Iowa State, SMU, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, and so forth….we’re going to fall off the map? Doubt that.

As far as attendance, its already falling off, and has been for awhile. Attendance no longer really matters as we rapidly approach these $75-$100 million TV contracts. That gap between a 75% full and 100% full stadium is a drop in the bucket.

As far as academic programs and enrollment, that’s already been discussed. Everyone’s going over the cliff in 4-5 years. Everyone’s going to be cutting programs. And in MSU’s case, that might not be the worst thing for them to get rid of niche programs that don’t result in very lucrative job offers at graduation.

None of it really matters anyway. Everything is far too gone to be saved at this point. 10 years from now, we’ll either be out of the SEC entirely, or we’ll remain as members, but at a much lower revenue share than most other members, which is just going to put us even further behind. There just isn’t a viable path forward.
You'd be incorrect. If we don't make the supposed super conference, we're USM. And if you don't believe attendance matters, from income to recruiting, well, I can't help you.
And no, P4 schools aren't going to fall off an academic cliff attendance wise either, just lower than they were for a period of time.

Reactions: ChE1997

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You'd be incorrect. If we don't make the supposed super conference, we're USM. And if you don't believe attendance matters, from income to recruiting, well, I can't help you.
And no, P4 schools aren't going to fall off an academic cliff attendance wise either, just lower than they were for a period of time.
OK then- we become USM
I obviously don't want that, but I also am not going to throw $1000 each year to football in the hope that tens of thousands of others do the same and we can financially compete with tOSU and others.

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
Man..
All this gloom, despair, and agony..
Makes me want to move from sunny Florida weather to Montana/ Idaho north bum 17 Egypt
Oh wait..one of us did that.
Pooppop called out

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I'm at 0% and will likely never give a cent to NIL. If I still owned a business with advertising dollars I would certainly make sure those dollars benefited the university rather than someone else. I was a season ticket holder for 25+ years, in up to 4 sports some years. I figured I've given somewhere between $100,000 and $200,000 in tickets, seat licensing, and just donations but I haven't bought nor given a penny since NIL became reality. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
OK then- we become USM
I obviously don't want that, but I also am not going to throw $1000 each year to football in the hope that tens of thousands of others do the same and we can financially compete with tOSU and others.
Fine. Don't give $1,000 to compete with Ohio State.

If you give $0 we are competing with MS Valley

If that's what you want, then don't ***** about how the teams are

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
According to what I see, OSU has 4X the number of living alumni as we do, so do we really need to give $4,000 to compete?

Not according to the people that track how much is being spent.

But that's the right attitude to have.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Sounds like I need to drop my 4 football and 4 basketball tickets and throw it all into NIL and be content to watch on tv?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login