OT: Old man BS

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I've been working on my health the last year. Damn near died a few years ago. I've lost almost 70 LBs (from about 260 to about 190). Feel 17ing amazing! But, my cholesterol won't go down. I've damn near cut out all red meat and processed stuff. I eat chicken and vegetables primarily. Even include oats. Go 5 miles a day on elliptical. Drink tons of water. Dr wants me on statins. But I can't handle them. Tried twice already and the leg pain was so bad I couldn't function. Any you old bassturds had this problem? Trying to find another route.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I've been working on my health the last year. Damn near died a few years ago. I've lost almost 70 LBs (from about 260 to about 190). Feel 17ing amazing! But, my cholesterol won't go down. I've damn near cut out all red meat and processed stuff. I eat chicken and vegetables primarily. Even include oats. Go 5 miles a day on elliptical. Drink tons of water. Dr wants me on statins. But I can't handle them. Tried twice already and the leg pain was so bad I couldn't function. Any you old bassturds had this problem? Trying to find another route.
No advice, but great job

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Some argumentative bastard will come along and dispute it, but, based on common horse sense and significant anecdotal observation, cholesterol level is genetically hard wired and your @SS will NEVER get it lowered (or raised in the case of HDL) no matter what you do. So 17 all of that s h i t and live your life.

catvet

May 11, 2009
If you have done all of that, then it is a genetic issue and not dietary. Statin drugs would be helpful. Pulled my cholesterol down by over 150 points

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Try Lovastatin it's a generic for Mevacor. I've been on it for years and no muscle pain at all. It's been around forever and probably not as potent as some of the newer statins.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I am not old but I also have high cholesterol. Not overweight, I am fairly active and eat pretty healthy. We meal prep every week with a solid vegetable, grain and protein meal every day. Red meat once a week to every other week. Cholesterol is still high.

Now I am looking to reduce my dairy. Using oat milk in coffee and almond milk for the rest. I’ll get into a serious conversation with my doctor on my next visit. Idk what else to do tbh.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Some argumentative bastard will come along and dispute it, but, based on common horse sense and significant anecdotal observation, cholesterol level is genetically hard wired and your @SS will NEVER get it lowered (or raised in the case of HDL) no matter what you do. So 17 all of that s h i t and live your life.
Absolutely correct. My Cholesterol was128 my last physical in December but my HDL was not good. My bad cholesterol was really high. My doctor said it is all genetic. I have done all I can do to keep my Cholesterol low. He said that he could prescribe medicine to get my HDL in line but since my overall Cholesterol is low the risk of the side effects is not worth it.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Oddly enough, I went on Lipitor, and seemed I just wanted to eat. Had to stop that.
Moved me to Crestor, and things worked out.

Have to deal with BP issues, arthritis, and other things.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yup. Sorry to be an *******, but I drink, smoke, and eat like ****. I’m fat as **** and 46 years old. My cholesterol has always been in the normal range and now that I’m walking a good bit my HDL levels have gotten there as well. Nobody in my family line has died before 80 yet and were all heavy smokers and/or drinkers at some point.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I come from a long line of high BP and cholesterol. My Dr started me on Lipitor, liver enzyme levels shot up right away and I ached all over. Then we did Baycol, same thing. Then we went the more natural way which was what I had hoped for with Niaspan (niacin and vitamin B3 mixture), that worked bringing the level down pretty good but one of the common side effects is "flushing". This is from their website "Niaspan ER can cause certain side effects, such as flushing (warmth, itching, redness, or tingly feeling under your skin)" They said take it at bedtime because hopefully you sleep through the "flushing" Not me, I would wake up every morning about 2:00 a.m. and feel like I had been severely sunburned on my back and stomach on the beach that day. I was hot, itchy, red, and the sheets hurt my skin even. Couldn't keep that up so we tried generic Crestor (Rosuvastatin) and its been great, bad cholesterol down, good cholesterol up just like it should be and hasn't been this good since my 30's (60 now) I've been on it for about 11 years. I've got some joint aches but I've also come from a long line of arthritic people so I guess its better to have good statin levels and some arthritis than bad levels of statins if they are causing any of the aches.

Reactions: coach66

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008

If you’re interested, this doc does an awesome job of explaining your exact situation as it relates to cholesterol and statins

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I couldn’t stand statins either, my joints ached like I was 90 years old. Cholesterol is hereditary, I worked with a woman who has been a vegetarian all her life, was allergic to eggs, her cholesterol was over 800 and she was healthy as a horse.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
My BP is insanely great. My sugar is good. My junk juice is good. Literally have no other issues. Just this damn cholesterol. I'm bumping up against 50. Drink moderately (over last year). Never smoked. Was a fat *** 6'2 260. LDL is trash. And Vitamin D is low.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I believe the day is right around the corner that a day or two after you're born they'll be able to tell you what ailments you'll be predisposed to during your life and which ones you'll be able deal with through lifestyle, diet, meds etc......and which ones you won't.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Yup. Sorry to be an *******, but I drink, smoke, and eat like ****. I’m fat as **** and 46 years old. My cholesterol has always been in the normal range and now that I’m walking a good bit my HDL levels have gotten there as well. Nobody in my family line has died before 80 yet and were all heavy smokers and/or drinkers at some point.
I was like that too but stay on top of it, things always change to some degree with age.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I’m pretty healthy and have had high cholesterol since early 20s. No other issues at all. Started a statin a few months ago and doing fine, but there are non-statin alternatives as well. Just tell your doctor if you can’t tolerate them and keep trying new stuff until something works.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012

If you’re interested, this doc does an awesome job of explaining your exact situation as it relates to cholesterol and statins

I Listened to that podcast a month or so ago and it was really interesting. A lot of what he said actually parrots what at least one of my doctors says when it comes to “chasing numbers” and cholesterol. In other words, just because you drop it 50 points doesn’t mean you are suddenly dodging some sort of cardio event and… you are now taking a pill for the rest of your life.

Of course one of the other docs thinks statins are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I did when I first was prescribed a statin. But now I don't have any issue, or at least I've gotten used to continual pain.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm not even a medical novice by any means, but i wonder, if otherwise healthy, are these numbers as important as big pharma (big pharma includes Drs, hospitals, etc.) makes them out to be? Or is it as much a marketing campaign as anything?

Feb 20, 2011
Similar frustration for me.

I've routinely had moderately high total cholesterol and triglycerides (TG being the bigger concern). My last two Dr appointments were last October and then again in February. I lost about 30 lbs in those 6 months. My cholesterol and TG both went up. Terribly frustrating. My HDL also didn't budge (it's always hovered around the lower end of "normal").

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Through concentration, I can raise and lower my cholesterol at will.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I did when I first was prescribed a statin. But now I don't have any issue, or at least I've gotten used to continual pain.
I couldn't walk. I literally couldn't, I was in so much pain. It was crazy bad! Bad thing is, I had to figure out the cause on my own because the Dr tried to convince me I had Restless Leg. Dropped that SOB!

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Similar frustration for me.

I've routinely had moderately high total cholesterol and triglycerides (TG being the bigger concern). My last two Dr appointments were last October and then again in February. I lost about 30 lbs in those 6 months. My cholesterol and TG both went up. Terribly frustrating. My HDL also didn't budge (it's always hovered around the lower end of "normal").
Mine went up as well after losing almost 70 LBs.
I've increased exercise even more and I'm going full old man and taking fiber supplements now to try to avoid statins.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I was like that too but stay on top of it, things always change to some degree with age.
Yeah I’m starting to notice I’m not as indestructible as I used to be. I am losing weight because none of those people I mentioned were as heavy as me.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
They got on me, gave me a statin script. Never filled it. Started eating a little more oatmeal, walking more, and take a krill oil pill daily.

Upon follow up visit and blood work, Doctor praised me for my compliance with his orders.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'll get drummed for this as well, but we are still in the dark ages of understanding what **** like cholesterol levels really mean. Just look at the things that have been bad for us then good for us in my lifetime (less than 60 years).

Get some exercise and get as close to the weight you know you outta be at as you can. It's not hard to understand, but it is hard to do in today's world.

Reactions: Captain Ron

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
One thing I kinda like about this board is as it ages we all age with each other. I was always among the guys older than the founders and that doesn't seem to be changing.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Try Zetia. My body coulldnt handle statins either which I also believe is hereditary. They used to say the body aches were hogwash but now studies show it to be true. I tried all the statins still couldn't get one to work. Finally tried zetia. Works pretty good. Kind of slows my digestive system down though. I don't eat the best but my cholesterol is back to normal.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Have you done a coronary calcium scan. It may be out of pocket but I think it's less than $200. Your doc can write a script for it and it takes like 15 minutes. Gives you a calcium score and data your doc can interpret and track. If your score didn't get worse year to year maybe you could skip the statins for a while? I'm definitely not a doc but it might be worth discussing with your doc.

My doc told me, look you're a dude it's not a matter of if it's a matter of when....thought that was real encouraging ***

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'll get drummed for this as well, but we are still in the dark ages of understanding what **** like cholesterol levels really mean. Just look at the things that have been bad for us then good for us in my lifetime (less than 60 years).

Get some exercise and get as close to the weight you know you outta be at as you can. It's not hard to understand, but it is hard to do in today's world.
Only few years ago, the jab was supposed to be the remedy to all our covid ailments, even DJT pushed it. Now we find out it may do more harm than good, but big pharma (and of lot of others) made a ton of money off it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Only few years ago, the jab was supposed to be the remedy to all our covid ailments, even DJT pushed it. Now we find out it may do more harm than good, but big pharma (and of lot of others) made a ton of money off it.
Come On Please GIF by NBA

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I agree that its more hereditary than diet. I didn't have high cholesterol until my 40s. I tried a number of statins but the adverse effects of cramps and pain was too much. My doc switched me to Atorvastatin and I haven't had any pain since. I would love to get off the drug but I tried the diet approach and had no luck. Whatever drug you end up with your probably stuck with it for the rest of your life. Sorry.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
you should have a commercial

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Why the eye roll? Did we get truth from the "authorities"? Did the pharmas not make absolutely tremendous amounts of money from remedies that it's not clear were at all effective?

I don't trust any politician, and the questions need to be asked. And truthful answers should be demanded considering the amount of computer dollars we created to pay for all this BS, which made my eggs too damn expensive.

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
Years ago my sister had HC, she ate sweet potatoes and oat meal everyday for a year and lowered it 100 points. Cut your sugar intake also.

Reactions: She Mate Me

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Wrong!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login