OT: Old man BS

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Try Atorvastatin - maybe 40mg first and could go to 80 mg.
Ask your Cardiologist about Zetia as well - combined with the statin.
Mine went from 250ish to 115 in about 6-8 months.
Cut out unnecessary sugars and go to a heart healthy diet of lots of fish and chicken.
As my cardiologist says -follow the 80-20 rule.
20% of the time eat what you want.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Pharmaceutical companies might but not doctors.
Doctors get kickbacks (in the form of trips, gifts, etc.). Plus when on the med, you will likely have to have more often follow-up visits (Dr makes money), then after a few years, you'll need another script to counteract the original medication (Dr makes more money).

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I’ve got a family history of high cholesterol and diabetes. I dodged one bullet and only managed to get type 2.

Last year, I tired several different things to avoid statins because the leg cramps at night made me miserable. Nothing worked, and my cholesterol shot up way high. I’ve managed to lower it to an acceptable level by taking my statin every other day. The leg cramps got better over time, and I have only had one bad night in a month. I still keep a bottle of “Leg Cramps” on my nightstand and a jar of pickle juice in the fridge.

Even if there was something better out there, insurance probably wouldn’t cover it.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
I've been working on my health the last year. Damn near died a few years ago. I've lost almost 70 LBs (from about 260 to about 190). Feel 17ing amazing! But, my cholesterol won't go down. I've damn near cut out all red meat and processed stuff. I eat chicken and vegetables primarily. Even include oats. Go 5 miles a day on elliptical. Drink tons of water. Dr wants me on statins. But I can't handle them. Tried twice already and the leg pain was so bad I couldn't function. Any you old bassturds had this problem? Trying to find another route.
Crestor finally was the answer for me.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Doctors get kickbacks (in the form of trips, gifts, etc.). Plus when on the med, you will likely have to have more often follow-up visits (Dr makes money), then after a few years, you'll need another script to counteract the original medication (Dr makes more money).
Dr.'s make money without this cynical take. Most docs are decent people and there's no shortage of patients. Get to know some docs

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Dr.'s make money without this cynical take. Most docs are decent people and there's no shortage of patients. Get to know some docs
Docs will tell you what's wrong with Big Pharma, the hospital association and insurance companies. Docs aren't the enemy.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I’ve got a family history of high cholesterol and diabetes. I dodged one bullet and only managed to get type 2.

Last year, I tired several different things to avoid statins because the leg cramps at night made me miserable. Nothing worked, and my cholesterol shot up way high. I’ve managed to lower it to an acceptable level by taking my statin every other day. The leg cramps got better over time, and I have only had one bad night in a month. I still keep a bottle of “Leg Cramps” on my nightstand and a jar of pickle juice in the fridge.

Even if there was something better out there, insurance probably wouldn’t cover it.

Reduce your weight and get off the BS drugs.

I'm 59, on exactly zero drugs (other than occasional over the counter allergy and pain meds) and I feel great.

ETA I weigh 168 at 5'9" and I'm pretty active

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
How many really nice high cholesterol dinners do you think pharma reps buy docs??
Not even close to as much as they used to. Generics are cheap too. How much do docs make off of prescribing generics?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
What is this “doctor” you guys speak of? I’m 42, should I be going to one of these?

Reactions: HRMSU

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

I'm 59, on exactly zero drugs (other than occasional over the counter allergy and pain meds) and I feel great.

My plan was to go to 180 LBs but my pecker appears to have grown so much during this weight loss Im stopping at 190.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022

I’m 5’-10” and 185. My A1C is 6.3. Some people just have high cholesterol.

Ddog

May 24, 2023
Yup. Sorry to be an *******, but I drink, smoke, and eat like ****. I’m fat as **** and 46 years old. My cholesterol has always been in the normal range and now that I’m walking a good bit my HDL levels have gotten there as well. Nobody in my family line has died before 80 yet and were all heavy smokers and/or drinkers at some point.
Might want to consider tweaking your lifestyle a bit….continue walking, cut back on the drinking, and stop the smoking. Do it while you still are relatively young. You are welcome. No charge.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
I've been working on my health the last year. Damn near died a few years ago. I've lost almost 70 LBs (from about 260 to about 190). Feel 17ing amazing! But, my cholesterol won't go down. I've damn near cut out all red meat and processed stuff. I eat chicken and vegetables primarily. Even include oats. Go 5 miles a day on elliptical. Drink tons of water. Dr wants me on statins. But I can't handle them. Tried twice already and the leg pain was so bad I couldn't function. Any you old bassturds had this problem? Trying to find another route.

I have a first degree heart block, and at diagnosis, both my cholesterol and blood pressure were considered borderline. Calcium score and CT scan didn’t show any additional issues, but the cholesterol/BP numbers had my physician talking meds.

I did a deep dive literature review on pubmed and found citrus bergamot & Hawthorn extract supplements. Primary literature looked promising. I started taking and both my BP/cholesterol numbers have dropped to text book heart healthy, even though I have gained ~10 lbs over the past 3 years (initial block diagnosis).

Like others said, it could be genetics. However, I can flat out attest that these supplements helped my numbers. If you go this route, make sure you buy from reputable supplement companies.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
i agree but it's all a big circle. Dr could ban together and bring sanity back, but that's going to happen.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Do what you want to. Drink what you want to. Eat what you want to. You are going to end up in the same place as these rabbit eating marathon runners and you’re not going to spend nearly as much time in a nursing home waiting on someone to change your diaper.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Do what you want to. Drink what you want to. Eat what you want to. You are going to end up in the same place as these rabbit eating marathon runners and you’re not going to spend nearly as much time in a nursing home waiting on someone to change your diaper.
Almost died a few years ago. I much prefer to prolong things here. When I find out I've got dementia starting, I'll go all in then.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Mine went up as well after losing almost 70 LBs.
I've increased exercise even more and I'm going full old man and taking fiber supplements now to try to avoid statins.
I'm trying to lose weight myself. I've always been a big guy, 6'3", and weighed about 280 pounds. For the last two or three years, I have spent most of my time in the hospital, laid up in the bed at home, or in a recliner hooked up to a PIC line pumping IV antibiotics 24/7. I had a wound VAC connected to the end of my foot constantly helping it drain because it was not surgically sewn up. Then a Wound Vac was connected to the end of my foot to try and drain the infection. I was either at home in the chair or at the hospital. I couldn't walk and I had to stay still constantly. This all has going on for the last two or three years and you can understand why I gained an enormous amount of weight.

I'm slowly trying to lose weight by just eliminating sugar and junk food. I don't drink sodas and I am lucky that I have inherited some great health genes. My cholesterol stays about 100. My blood pressure is usually around 100/70. All of my blood chemistries are pretty good except that I am pre-diabetic. I've been just below the diabetes line for what seems to be forever. I have really been successful (this time) in slowly losing weight mostly by watching what I'm eating. We also do not eat much fried or fatty food. I'm trying to get back in the grilling/smoking mode this year, so you guys keep sharing those recipes and ideas for cooking out. I just got a Kamado Joe Junior, and I'm ready to try it out.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m 41. Ran a 10k at a 7:20 pace at 39 and was already on cholesterol.

genetics I guess.

i take atorvastatin. Never really noticed any joint or muscle pain. But my cholesterol is lower.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
General advice: Lifestyle changes are essential but it's not easy. Diets are hard to stay on but try something like Whole 30, low carb, near zero sugar (it's actually not that hard), limit alcohol (I like beer, but a glass of wine or shot of Irish Whiskey is only around 70-80 calories), limit bread and pasta, etc.. This is something that's doable. Avoid keto although some keto meals once in a while are fine. Walk and stay active. Eat one plate, only one plate, and do something to avoid going for seconds. Avoid desserts and sweets. After 30 minutes you'll actually feel better than if you stuffed yourself. Try low sugar, high protein yoghurt and an apple with sugar free almond butter as a snack. Eat things such as ice cream rarely and you'll enjoy it more. Olive and Avocado oil only. Eat 4-6 ounce steaks and burgers without buns (most of the time). Limit red meat and add fish (salmon and cod are tasty--get Atlantic and not stuff from China). Make sweet potato fries with avocado oil in the air fryer or oven on convection. Allulose or Stevia liquid drops (Amazon) when you need sweetener for coffee or tea. Make vegetable soups and puree them when you need a change of pace. Eat salads and make a vinegrette with dijon, olive oil and some vinegar (apple cider or balsamic). Use lemon and lime as seasoning. Casava tortillas for tacos (Walmart). Get good EVOO (sourced frome one country such as Greece, Italy or Morocco) and good avocado oil (Chosen). Portion control, something you'll adjust to in time. Learn to cook and use spices and herbs and peppers so that you're able to enjoy a bite of food without shoveling everything in your mouth and eating too fast. Eat dinner before 6 pm and don't eat after that until the morning. An egg and fake eggs with something like all natural turkey bacon fried in avocado oil for breakfast is fine (no cheese) is fine. Don't buy chips and snacks with useless calories when shopping. State sports are stressful and make me want to drink and eat but I've managed to get close to my preferred weight after putting on more than a few pounds over the past few years. And my bloodwork is fine and I had no problems at age 58 walking about 7 or so miles daily for two weeks in Italy on a heavy pasta and pizza, daily gelato and cornettas and wine diet.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Some argumentative bastard will come along and dispute it, but, based on common horse sense and significant anecdotal observation, cholesterol level is genetically hard wired and your @SS will NEVER get it lowered (or raised in the case of HDL) no matter what you do. So 17 all of that s h i t and live your life.
Got a heart stent 5 years ago. Mid LAD. It almost got me. Try to eat right and exercise a lot. Still have significant cholesterol problems. My Dad had the same issue and had a stent in the same spot. My heart Doctor said it was most likely genetic and just do the best that I can. I take maximum dose of a statin and other than some joint pain it is reasonably well tolerated. I go to the local YMCA and workout 4 days a week, eat reasonably well and when I do eat bad I feel guilty about it. My Dad almost lived to 89 without ever exercising a day in his life that I was ever aware of and never had any additional heart problems. I hope to do the same, except with a little better effort from me on the exercise, food, and medication. We both got our heart stents in our early 60’s. I think Shmuley is right. Sometimes you just have to play the cards you are dealt and don’t sweat it too much. Just do the best that you can and then live your life to the fullest.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I have a first degree heart block, and at diagnosis, both my cholesterol and blood pressure were considered borderline. Calcium score and CT scan didn’t show any additional issues, but the cholesterol/BP numbers had my physician talking meds.

I did a deep dive literature review on pubmed and found citrus bergamot & Hawthorn extract supplements. Primary literature looked promising. I started taking and both my BP/cholesterol numbers have dropped to text book heart healthy, even though I have gained ~10 lbs over the past 3 years (initial block diagnosis).

Like others said, it could be genetics. However, I can flat out attest that these supplements helped my numbers. If you go this route, make sure you buy from reputable supplement companies.
I am currently experimenting with a table spoon of EVOO and a 1000mg garlic supplement every morning first thing. Been taking it for about 3 months. Using a lot of lemon juice too. Going to get a checkup and labs in about 3 weeks. Hopefully it will help a little. Lots of info on the internet recommending real olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. I doesn’t hurt to try.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'm God's walking auto-immune science project. Losing 70 LBs has helped some things. But somethings nothing can help. Malabsorption issues is one problem.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Damn sad when you realize, this thread maybe the one I will read and actually learn stuff today as I take one Lipitor every other day. Results a few months away.

Reactions: Captain Ron

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
What was your starting number? What brand and dosage for Berberine? I was able to get about a 20 point drop with a natural supplement, but my starting point was not very high either.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
What was your starting number? What brand and dosage for Berberine? I was able to get about a 20 point drop with a natural supplement, but my starting point was not very high either.

I use berberine plus. It's on Amazon.
My total cholesterol was around 200. Sitting at 120 now.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Pickle juice for the win, I eat the pickles during the day and take a swig of juice every night before bed and no more cramps.

Reactions: Captain Ron
Jul 5, 2020
General advice: Lifestyle changes are essential but it's not easy. Diets are hard to stay on but try something like Whole 30, low carb, near zero sugar (it's actually not that hard), limit alcohol (I like beer, but a glass of wine or shot of Irish Whiskey is only around 70-80 calories), limit bread and pasta, etc.. This is something that's doable. Avoid keto although some keto meals once in a while are fine. Walk and stay active. Eat one plate, only one plate, and do something to avoid going for seconds. Avoid desserts and sweets. After 30 minutes you'll actually feel better than if you stuffed yourself. Try low sugar, high protein yoghurt and an apple with sugar free almond butter as a snack. Eat things such as ice cream rarely and you'll enjoy it more. Olive and Avocado oil only. Eat 4-6 ounce steaks and burgers without buns (most of the time). Limit red meat and add fish (salmon and cod are tasty--get Atlantic and not stuff from China). Make sweet potato fries with avocado oil in the air fryer or oven on convection. Allulose or Stevia liquid drops (Amazon) when you need sweetener for coffee or tea. Make vegetable soups and puree them when you need a change of pace. Eat salads and make a vinegrette with dijon, olive oil and some vinegar (apple cider or balsamic). Use lemon and lime as seasoning. Casava tortillas for tacos (Walmart). Get good EVOO (sourced frome one country such as Greece, Italy or Morocco) and good avocado oil (Chosen). Portion control, something you'll adjust to in time. Learn to cook and use spices and herbs and peppers so that you're able to enjoy a bite of food without shoveling everything in your mouth and eating too fast. Eat dinner before 6 pm and don't eat after that until the morning. An egg and fake eggs with something like all natural turkey bacon fried in avocado oil for breakfast is fine (no cheese) is fine. Don't buy chips and snacks with useless calories when shopping. State sports are stressful and make me want to drink and eat but I've managed to get close to my preferred weight after putting on more than a few pounds over the past few years. And my bloodwork is fine and I had no problems at age 58 walking about 7 or so miles daily for two weeks in Italy on a heavy pasta and pizza, daily gelato and cornettas and wine diet.
This is the way. I've been slowly moving into this lifestyle for the last 2 years since I turned 45 and had somehow ended up at 235-240 lbs (with high cholesterol), even though I couldn't point to any one thing that I had started to doing to put on that weight. I'm down to 216 lbs and my energy level is higher than it was when I was 40.

It's stunning how much I have taken my good health for granted. It's also more enjoyable for me to exercise now, knowing that it'll keep me mobile and capable while I'm on this earth.

ob dog

Oct 7, 2012
Have been of Repatha injections for two or more years. Statins about paralyzed me. Two widow maker heart attacks and 6 bypasses later, kinda gotta do what cardiac doc says! Repatha is designed to target certain receptors in the liver that you are genetically endowed with that are responsible for cholesterol processing. Statins and other similar meds just didn’t do much, so I’m sure mine is a genetic issue. The last few years levels on all lipid indicators are well within normal. Recommend every two weeks but I’m doing once a month and obviously eat clean and exercise and stay active. Hit 70 this fall Might want to talk to doc and then make your own decision.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Probably have a rough time breaking 9:00 min pace now!

I use to run at least 20 miles a week and then I started going to this place called HOTWORX which is a franchise hot yoga/cardio place....game changer!!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I use to run at least 20 miles a week and then I started going to this place called HOTWORX which is a franchise hot yoga/cardio place....game changer!!
I’m not ashamed to say. I go to orange theory fitness.

haven’t been very much since January of 2022 bc I’ve been traveling for work to areas that don’t have them.

But it works. Got a coach pushing you. Someone doing it on both sides of you which motivates you to keep up or beat them. Instant feedback. Lot of hot girls or women to impress.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
My doctor put me on Lipitor 4 years ago. Muscle cramps and stomach problems made me quit them. My doctor insisted I take it so I tried again with the same results. So I tried taking half of the 10mg tablets. Muscle cramps were manageable and the stomach upset went away. Every once in a while I'll wake up with a cramp. I get up and drink some pickle juice. Within 20 seconds the cramps are gone. Cholesterol is still a little high (around 210) with bad a little high too.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login