OT: Pink Floyd

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

patdog

May 28, 2007
Good for them. 17ing amazing catalog.
They were kind of hit & miss at times. Early stuff sucks. 4 albums from Dark Side of the Moon to the Wall were incredible. Final Cut sucked. Then Momentary Lapse of Reason & Division Bell with just Gilmore, Waters & Mason we’re very underrated, I thought some of their best stuff.

Reactions: WilCoDawg
Aug 22, 2012
sold their catalog for $400M. I guess they lived their lyrics "Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash"

@Pink Floyd.sixpack what's your thoughts?

Figured it was coming sooner rather than later. They are getting long in the tooth and probably wanted to start setting things up for their heirs. Just hate that Rick Wright and Syd Barrett weren’t alive for the big cash out. I’m sure their heirs were taken care of as Gilmour always made sure they were taken care of. My guess is that Waters probably made it difficult for all involved. Great song quote by the way. Quite fitting.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
One of my favorite bands, some of their stuff is too out there for me, but some of it is fantastic. Every so often I’ll find a lesser known song of theirs and it’s like I hit the jackpot.

ex. Fearless, wot’s uh the deal, fat old sun live in Gdańsk, and Is there anybody out there.

I learned the last one on the guitar and it’s just a haunting/pretty song.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
One of my favorite bands, some of their stuff is too out there for me, but some of it is fantastic. Every so often I’ll find a lesser known song of theirs and it’s like I hit the jackpot.

ex. Fearless, wot’s uh the deal, fat old sun live in Gdańsk, and Is there anybody out there.

I learned the last one on the guitar and it’s just a haunting/pretty song.

patdog

May 28, 2007
. My guess is that Waters probably made it difficult for all involved.
He always made it difficult for everyone involved. Huge part of their work earlier work, but after the Wall, there was just nowhere else to go with anything he could contribute. Best for them that they broke away from him. Even then, he was such an a**hole they couldn't let Richard Wright be an official part of the band for the 2 Gilmour albums.

Reactions: Chesusdog

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Get high and watch The Wall.

Try to sync the Dark Side album music up with The Wizard of Oz.

I wish they still did the Pink Floyd laser light show at Davis Planetarium

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
He always made it difficult for everyone involved. Huge part of their work earlier work, but after the Wall, there was just nowhere else to go with anything he could contribute. Best for them that they broke away from him. Even then, he was such an a**hole they couldn't let Richard Wright be an official part of the band for the 2 Gilmour albums.

Waters is such an insufferable prick. Love the art, hate the artist. Gilmore is by far the better musician and much less of an ***.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Get high and watch The Wall.

Try to sync the Dark Side album music up with The Wizard of Oz.

I wish they still did the Pink Floyd laser light show at Davis Planetarium
Man i used to love that laser light show! Good memories. Well, not too many memories….. was a damn good time

Awwhellnaw

Jun 29, 2017
I consider myself very fortunate to have seen Waters a few years ago in NOLA. Incredible show and closest I’ll ever get to seeing Pink Floyd. Never thought I’d get to see any of them in the flesh.

And yes, Waters is an insufferable prick. But love his work.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If the Pink Floyd tribute band Brit Floyd is ever touring I highly recommend going to see them. They put on a great show.

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
I've heard the title track from Gilmore's recent release Luck & Strange, but haven't heard any more cuts. Sweet little bluesy tune...

Aug 22, 2012
And what’s crazy about that is that they hired Wright as a contract musician on those tours. Wright made more than the “band members” because two tours actually went in the hole due to high production costs. Narcissism was always Waters issue. Had to be the smartest one in the room. It’s bitten him in the *** quite frequently. After the split Gilmour, Mason, and Wright were still playing to sold out stadiums and arenas…..and Waters was playing 1000 seat theatres and not filling them up. Fans loved the group, not the individuals. Only late in his career did Waters start selling tickets, and did so on the backbone of the Floyd catalog.

Reactions: patdog
Aug 22, 2012
I've heard the title track from Gilmore's recent release Luck & Strange, but haven't heard any more cuts. Sweet little bluesy tune...
Hit You Tube and check out David Gilmour with David Crosby and Graham Nash performing “On an Island”. Harmonies are phenomenal. Would love to know your thoughts on it. Great live performance.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I wonder what the Beatles and Beach Boys catalog is worth today and who owns them.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Top 3 band.

Wish You Were Here is their best album.

Biggest mistake they ever made was they did not fully record The Wall Concerts. My sister went and saw it at the Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale). I was not in an area to get a chance. The concert was performed just 31 times in four cities: Los Angeles (7 shows), Uniondale (5), Dortmund (8) and London (11). I did see a show describing how they did it, but it only had a few clips of the actual show.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
sold their catalog for $400M. I guess they lived their lyrics "Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash"

@Pink Floyd.sixpack what's your thoughts?

I'm an idiot and have no idea of the valuation of such property, but that's some of the most iconic music of all time, $400 mil seems low?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login