OT: Places to eat in Jackson area

Tanjack13

Dec 8, 2023
Me and my wife are going in to have our 2nd little boy later tonight and she wanted something good to eat before we go in. If it were up to me I’d go to Koestler Prime, but she wants more options. Thanks!

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Me and my wife are going in to have our 2nd little boy later tonight and she wanted something good to eat before we go in. If it were up to me I’d go to Koestler Prime, but she wants more options. Thanks!
Shapley’s and Ely’s > KP when it comes to top tier steak houses in JXN

but as another poster already mentioned Walker’s, it’s hard to beat. Caet too but is more seafood than Walker’s

Reactions: mdm3045

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Ryan's... She's likely going to shat the birthing table anyway, better for you and the medical team if she evacuates as much as possible beforehand.**

Congrats, boy #2 is usually tougher than nickel steak and meaner than a mama wasp.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

Ely's is hard to beat for me. I think their filet louisiane is the best dish in the metro.

Elvies is on some lists of best restaurants in the country.

Pulito is a new Italian restaurant people really like.

Reactions: Spotdawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Some of the better, but not as expensive, spots, Kenova Smokehouse in Flowood, Roosters in Fondren, Trace Grill in Ridgeland.

If you want a good old fashioned meat and three, Nonna's in Purl.

Last edited:

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
The Devil loves his Jackson dining establishments and really thinks Jackson has a very underrated food scene. So here is my list:
Walkers- can not go wrong going here.
Ely's/Chapleys- great steaks if you are in the mood.
Elvies- one of the newest and best restaurants I have ever been to. Would put it up there with anything out there nationally.
Gibbes- this is an outlier and not technically in Jackson (40 minutes outside of Jackson but worth the trip).
One place I would avoid is Pig and Pint there really is no good BBQ in Jackson outside of the Smokehouse on highway 25. Hope this helps I would say go to Elvies or Walkers and you can not be wrong.

Last edited:

Anon1690211352

Jul 24, 2023
If you’re going to Baptist the choice is clear. Elvies or Pulito. Two of the best at what they do in the state and one block away from Baptist. If StDs then add Walkers to the option list. My choice would be Elvies regardless of hospital.

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
The Devil loves his Jackson dining establishments and really thinks Jackson has a very underrated food scene. So here is my list:
Elvies- one of the newest and best restaurants I have ever been to. Would put it up there with anything out there nationally.
Gibbes- this is a outlier and not technically in Jackson (40 minutes outside of Jackson but worth the trip).
One place I would avoid is Pig and Pint there really is no good BBQ in Jackson outside of the Smokehouse on highway 25. Hope this helps I would say go to Elvies or Walkers and you can not be wrong.
You’re wrong. Jeffersons is really good bbq

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
no good BBQ in Jackson outside of the Smokehouse on highway 25. Hope this helps I would say go to Elvies or Walkers and you can not be wrong.
If you're referring to Boo's? negative ghost rider, very mid.

Kenova's, near the Rez Post Office is much better, assuming we're talking white people BBQ. Get one of your henchmen to pick some up for you.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022

Kenova's, near the Rez Post Office is much better, assuming we're talking white people BBQ. Get one of your henchmen to pick some up for you.
Kenova's is awful, just my opinion as said to the other gentleman just my opinion and we will have to agree to disagree. The best black place is Gators over in the South Side.

Last edited:

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012
There are some really good choices listed as a Ely’s, Walkers, Koestler Prime, Caet, and Elvies. Tico’s and Shapleys are still there but their quality has fallen below the others listed. Eslava’s Grille on Lakeland is also excellent. Get the Cajun Crawfish Pasta. That ought to get the baby moving.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Gibbes- this is a outlier and not technically in Jackson (40 minutes outside of Jackson but worth the trip).
I’m so glad to hear someone else say that Pig N Pint isn’t worth the hype. I’ve never been impressed, if anything, more disappointed when I go there. Elvies is phenomenal, personally, cock of the walk is hard to beat for the price and amount of food. The majority of other recommendations made here are going to be good calls. Congratulations on boy dòs.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I’m so glad to hear someone else say that Pig N Pint isn’t worth the hype. I’ve never been impressed, if anything, more disappointed when I go there. Elvies is phenomenal, personally, cock of the walk is hard to beat for the price and amount of food. The majority of other recommendations made here are going to be good calls. Congratulations on boy dòs.
Same experience for me. I always have friends of Mrs. Devil try to drag us to Pig and Pint for the atmosphere or whatever else. The BBQ is awful plus is way too expensive. The atmosphere might be great, but that does not make up for the awful food.

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012
A lot of my friends really like it. I can’t say I’ve had a bad meal there but I’ve never been impressed enough to recommend Pig N Pint. To me it is similar to my feelings on Char or Table 100. They are both safe choices for a business dinner but not what I’m going to choose or recommend.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Same experience for me. I always have friends of Mrs. Devil try to drag us to Pig and Pint for the atmosphere or whatever else. The BBQ is awful plus is way too expensive. The atmosphere might be great, but that does not make up for the awful food.
Bruh….Pig and Pint and Kenovo are both head and shoulders above Boo’s. Boo’s is just decent and it’s a local hole in the wall so people just go there.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Bruh….Pig and Pint and Kenovo are both head and shoulders above Boo’s. Boo’s is just decent and it’s a local hole in the wall so people just go there.
Concur Boo's is very average, it's food that senior citizens like, absolutely no flavoring, incredibly bland. For years it was really the only BBQ joint in the area, but now with Kenova, I can't imagine anyone thinking Boo's is even remotely close.

I figured Lucifer would like food with some flavor and punch, but he is several thousand years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: OG Goat Holder

was21

May 29, 2007

Can someone comment on Crechale's.....haven't been there in years....guess it's still open.

Aug 15, 2011
Shapley's, Ely's, Lou's Full Serv, Caet, Local 463, Amerigo, The Manship, Sombra, Aplo's, are some that I like. Ole Lucy is right, BBQ in the Jackson area is incredibly meh. Cazedore's in Ridgeland has become one of my favorites for cheap(er) Mexican (is anything cheap anymore?!). Trace Grill is always a winner if you want a Meat and 3. I don't know much about the Brandon and Clinton areas. Need a burger and fries at lunch? Go to Keifer's downtown. They got one of the best basic burgers, and the curly fries are unbelievably good.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I have an EXTREMELY biased take when I suggest this but Elvies is great.

And one of the co-owners is a State grad

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Concur Boo's is very average, it's food that senior citizens like, absolutely no flavoring, incredibly bland. For years it was really the only BBQ joint in the area, but now with Kenova, I can't imagine anyone thinking Boo's is even remotely close.

I figured Lucifer would like food with some flavor and punch, but he is several thousand years old.
I do enjoy food like that, but if you think Kenova and Pig and Pint are good BBQ then that is really sad, and honestly I feel for you. But again this is personal taste thing and I will say for it for the tenth time agree to disagree.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

agree to disagree2.jpg

The BBQ is really good, plus have you ever had Boo's banana pudding or bread pudding?? Get outta town with that 'bland' talk.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Can someone comment on Crechale's.....haven't been there in years....guess it's still open.
Went 2 or 3 years ago for the experience and to check it off the list. Hasn't been touched in what seems 50+ years, sits on old 80 in the middle of ... I'm not sure how to describe it so from the "experience" standpoint it didn't disappoint but the meal was pretty bad.

Walkers gets my vote but surprised no reco's for Lou's Full Serv. Usually switch between the 2 as my favorites.

Shapley's gets my vote for "I don't get it"

anon1723824920

Oct 4, 2023

Boo’s also took over Jake’s in Brandon and it immediately went from my favorite restaurant to trash

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Went 2 or 3 years ago for the experience and to check it off the list. Hasn't been touched in what seems 50+ years, sits on old 80 in the middle of ... I'm not sure how to describe it so from the "experience" standpoint it didn't disappoint but the meal was pretty bad.

Walkers gets my vote but surprised no reco's for Lou's Full Serv. Usually switch between the 2 as my favorites.

Shapley's gets my vote for "I don't get it"
Lou's Full Serv is another great option.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Gibbes- this is an outlier and not technically in Jackson (40 minutes outside of Jackson but worth the trip).
Nice to see you’ve got Gibbes listed.

It’s one of my favorite places.

Agree to Disagree on Pig & Pint.

I like it and it’s in my dining rotation.

I also suggest you try Sylvester’s (on 18 between Jackson & Raymond) and Eddie Wright’s food truck to see if they have good enough BBQ…

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login