OT: Places to eat in Jackson area

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
A lot of my friends really like it. I can’t say I’ve had a bad meal there but I’ve never been impressed enough to recommend Pig N Pint. To me it is similar to my feelings on Char or Table 100. They are both safe choices for a business dinner but not what I’m going to choose or recommend.
I’m going to take up for 2 of those places real quick. Pig N Pint has the best Carolina gold sauce in our area. They’re great for a pint & a good ole pulled bbq sand with Carolina gold sauce. The smoked baloney sandwhich is a heart attack waiting to happen but one of the best sandwhiches in the metro hands-down. Char has 2 entrees I’ll put up vs any restaurant anywhere in the metro: the blackfish & the prime cowboy bone-in ribeye. Those 4 meals from those 2 places are money. Full disclosure I like ownership of both & I’d feel good with spendin cash with either.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
The Manship is great and chef Alex Eaton is a bulldog.
I know a lot of folks mentioned in this thread but one I don’t know is Eaton. And I tell a lot of folks he might be my favorite chef in town. The stuff he was doing at manship was phenomenal. I haven’t been in a min, life busy, but he was the perfect balance of creative but edible dishes. Pushes the bounds just enough without getting weird. And some like getting weird just to be weird. They’re artist. He won a national seafood contest in Nola on bbq shrimp. One of the best, most basic dishes out. The type of chef it takes to select that for a competition like that and then win the whole thing is so badass.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Based on the recommendations of this thread, I went to Foundation Burger for lunch today. It was very good, and I am stuffed.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I know a lot of folks mentioned in this thread but one I don’t know is Eaton. And I tell a lot of folks he might be my favorite chef in town. The stuff he was doing at manship was phenomenal. I haven’t been in a min, life busy, but he was the perfect balance of creative but edible dishes. Pushes the bounds just enough without getting weird. And some like getting weird just to be weird. They’re artist. He won a national seafood contest in Nola on bbq shrimp. One of the best, most basic dishes out. The type of chef it takes to select that for a competition like that and then win the whole thing is so badass.
He's killing it with Aplos too.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Keifer's is always a go-to.
Keifer's will be opening a new place in Madison soon.
ALSO....
Lou's Full Serv has opened Lou's All-American Sandwich in Ridgeland off Highland Colony Pkwy. It's in the old Majestic Burger place. The MadLady and I had lunch there the other day and their Smash Burger is legit. It fell apart as I was eating it but was delicious. If you've had a smash burger from the Neon Pig in Tupelo then you know what I'm talking about. Probably two of the best burgers you can eat in Mississippi.

Last edited:
Reactions: HammerOfTheDogs

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He's killing it with Aplos too.
He is.

I have one issue with Aplos but I’m aware that it’s likely a minority opinion:

Very good food but their pizza crust is too thin for my taste. But I guess thinner crust saves them money in the long run?

It doesn’t prevent me from going to Aplos but I can’t call it the best pizza in town.

(That would either be The Bank by Pizza Shack or Bravo)

The Manship, as previously mentioned, is outstanding.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
He is.

I have one issue with Aplos but I’m aware that it’s likely a minority opinion:

Very good food but their pizza crust is too thin for my taste. But I guess thinner crust saves them money in the long run?

It doesn’t prevent me from going to Aplos but I can’t call it the best pizza in town.

(That would either be The Bank by Pizza Shack or Bravo)

The Manship, as previously mentioned, is outstanding.
The thin crust is what I like about it. But I can understand why other folks wouldn’t. Bravo is probably the only pizza in town I haven’t had yet that I’d like to try. It’s just that when we are down around highland village, we are probably gonna eat Aplos, Beagle Bagel, or Broad Street across the interstate. Bravo just doesn’t usually come up.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login