OT: Places to eat in Jackson area

JDawg13

Dec 10, 2018
Crazy Cat Eat Up in Canton Mart Square is a solid choice. Great food and it is BYOB (they charge a small bottle/cork fee)

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Elvie’s. I’m friends with the chef/coowner, and it’s close to the hospital. Tell him you’re in the beanbag club, and he’ll hook you up

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I do enjoy food like that, but if you think Kenova and Pig and Pint are good BBQ then that is really sad, and honestly I feel for you. But again this is personal taste thing and I will say for it for the tenth time agree to disagree.
I fee like it should be almost an ethical quandary for me that I have the same opinion of the BBQ @ Boo's as Lucifer. I think it is awesome. We live in the area & get carryout at least once every 2 weeks. Do I need to request some intervention?

I am not a fan of Kenova (read as my wife really doesn't like it, so we don't eat there).

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I fee like it should be almost an ethical quandary for me that I have the same opinion of the BBQ @ Boo's as Lucifer. I think it is awesome. We live in the area & get carryout at least once every 2 weeks. Do I need to request some intervention?

I am not a fan of Kenova (read as my wife really doesn't like it, so we don't eat there).
It can be hard for some to realize the Devil is right, not to worry though it will get easier with time.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I never understood the appeal. Why go out to Buggtussle to eat a steak off a metal paper plate when there are plently of good steakhouses in the Jackson area?

I’ve made the correction for you.

You probably haven’t eaten at Gibbes.

As far as the Bugtussle Argument is concerned, I’ll just note that Leatha’s was much better when it was located in Marion County.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Nice to see you’ve got Gibbes listed.

It’s one of my favorite places.

Agree to Disagree on Pig & Pint.

I like it and it’s in my dining rotation.

I also suggest you try Sylvester’s (on 18 between Jackson & Raymond) and Eddie Wright’s food truck to see if they have good enough BBQ…
When I am not lording over Hell I work with a guy who is the nephew of the Sylvester's owner. He is also is related to the guy that owned Gators, which is going to come back into the food scene soon, or at least that is what I have been told. There is a family down here in the South Side that is responsible for both Gators and Sylvester's. You are right about Sylvester's it is very good, those folks make some good BBQ. I have never heard of the food truck that you mention, but I will remedy that based on your suggestion. I know this might get me in trouble on the old sixpack, but the best BBQ in Jackson is in South Jackson. I also understand why many people do not know about it because when I tell folks in Brandon and Pearl that I am going to South Jackson for BBQ they look at me like I am crazy.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Can someone comment on Crechale's.....haven't been there in years....guess it's still open.

I love Crechales. We go there several times a year, usually on someone’s birthday. Food is great. Atmosphere is great. I prefer their seafood to their steaks.

Don’t expect fancy. Just get yourself some onion rings with comeback and some seafood.

Last edited:
Reactions: maroonmadman

Supdawg2

Dec 19, 2012
Eudora’s is a new joint in the District that’s good. Been there once and got the pork chop and it was fantastic. It’s comparable price wise to all the other places people have mentioned.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I never understood the appeal. Why go out to Buggtussle to eat a steak off a metal plate when there are plently of good steakhouses in the Jackson area?
I prefer the lamb chops over their steaks but as @Maroon Eagle and others have stated, it's damn good. The buttermilk pie is divine, almost as good as the ones my grandmother use to make.

If you're looking for a burger, Foundation Burger in Flowood is good but you might have a bit of a wait.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I prefer the lamb chops over their steaks but as @Maroon Eagle and others have stated, it's damn good. The buttermilk pie is divine, almost as good as the ones my grandmother use to make.

If you're looking for a burger, Foundation Burger in Flowood is good but you might have a bit of a wait.
The lamb chops are outstanding.

Pro Tip:

Go with a Friend.

One orders steak; the other orders lamb chops.

Then swap out half a steak for a chop and vice versa.

That’s the Reese’s of Meat right there.

I have to try Foundation Burger— I’ve heard great things.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’ve made the correction for you.

You probably haven’t eaten at Gibbes.

As far as the Bugtussle Argument is concerned, I’ll just note that Leatha’s was much better when it was located in Marion County.
Yes the couple of times I've eaten at Gibbes it's been on paper plates. Bring cash, they're on the Dave Ramsey plan. It's a novelty, the steak isn't going to be any better worse than any higher end steak house or off your own grill.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Same experience for me. I always have friends of Mrs. Devil try to drag us to Pig and Pint for the atmosphere or whatever else. The BBQ is awful plus is way too expensive. The atmosphere might be great, but that does not make up for the awful food.
Sounds like you’re just pissy about not being able to get a table, due to crowd of 5,000 waiting on their fish and bread from the head chef.

Reactions: biodawg

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It may just be a coincidence, but I've always loved the Pig and Pint when I go for lunch on a weekday, but I've been a few times on Saturday and found it disappointing. Maybe different management/cooking teams, maybe nothing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nice to see you’ve got Gibbes listed.

It’s one of my favorite places.

Agree to Disagree on Pig & Pint.

I like it and it’s in my dining rotation.

I also suggest you try Sylvester’s (on 18 between Jackson & Raymond) and Eddie Wright’s food truck to see if they have good enough BBQ…
Dude had some ribs from Sylvester’s a few months ago and let me try them - agree, very legit

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If there is a waffle house, that would be a great place to hang out and dine with jacksonians.
If there's not a Waffle House, he can always go to Golden Corral. They have a wide variety of food here just about a bit of everything in that place, not to mention he'll save some money to help them afford that second kid

If that's too high faluting, he can always go find him a Taco Bell or Wendy's somewhere.**

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Me and my wife are going in to have our 2nd little boy later tonight and she wanted something good to eat before we go in. If it were up to me I’d go to Koestler Prime, but she wants more options. Thanks!
to the original poster, how did everything work out? good i pray. now for the question on everyone s mind, where did yall eat?

Last edited:
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
If there is a waffle house, that would be a great place to hang out and dine with jacksonians.
Well, the one on I-55 at Northside just closed after having it's windows shot out recently. And that's in the better part of town, and far too close to my office (we have heard gunshots before but not from that).

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Well, the one on I-55 at Northside just closed after having it's windows shot out recently. And that's in the better part of town, and far too close to my office (we have heard gunshots before but not from that).
We have a large number of them in this area. Most are normal, some are great because the cook has the skill, but a few weeks back in augusta, found one that would only serve plastic utensils. The staff had the metal ones used on them repeatedly at all hours of the day.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
We have a large number of them in this area. Most are normal, some are great because the cook has the skill, but a few weeks back in augusta, found one that would only serve plastic utensils. The staff had the metal ones used on them repeatedly at all hours of the day.
Waffle House variability is almost infinite. Couple of years ago I saw Blue Oyster Cult play in Hattiesburg (it was awesome). After show, I figured I'll get out of Hattiesburg, then get a bit to eat. Stopped at WH in Magee. Walked in and it was the most nasty, vile restaurant you could imagine. Drove on to Richland before stopping at the WH there. It was clean, service was great and food was delicious.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Talkin bout Sunshine? He’s a good un!!!
Haha, Sunshine brought me my lunch yesterday. I don't know if it is because they can see I tip on the app or what, but I get treated like royalty at Sonics. Also, I get to hit cardio and upper body with all the fighting I get to do.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Kenova's is awful, just my opinion as said to the other gentleman just my opinion and we will have to agree to disagree. The best black place is Gators over in the South Side.
Gators has a spot in Madison & I’ve had some wings and spare ribs from him that were legitimately outstanding. Im the type of guy that likes places like Boos & Pig N Pint for different reasons but I gotta have a black-owned bbq joint I can hit up. It’s like the great LD vs Petty’s debate. I’ll take both

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
I love Crechales. We go there several times a year, usually on someone’s birthday. Food is great. Atmosphere is great. I prefer their seafood to their steaks.

Don’t expect fancy. Just get yourself some onion rings with comeback and some seafood.
Trout almandine, broiled or stuffed flounder, stuffed shrimp. Onion ring app. That’s the order there. Dead on take

Reactions: Faustdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login