OT: PSA on Treasury I Bonds 8.54% yield

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
This article will explain it better, but I bonds are inflation adjusted every 6 months and you must hold for 12 months. Small penalty for selling before 5 years. Net is you can get a minimum of 6.05% over the next 12 months and 8.54% over 15 months. $10k max per person, but you can load up the kids and wife too.

https://keilfp.com/blogpodcast/i-bo...s over the next,worth $108.54 12 months later

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds_ibuy.htm

Now don't say I never did anything for you.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Would you recommend the ishares TIPS bond etf if you didn’t want to buy through the government website? Better liquidity?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Better liquidity for sure. Lower yield going forward. I think we are at peak inflation in March-April-May personally. So locking in an 8.54% blended rate feels like a winner to me.

TTRams

Aug 22, 2012
Thank you sir. Appreciate it. By the way I noticed this in the fine print.

In a calendar year, you can acquire:

• up to $10,000 in electronic I bonds in TreasuryDirect
  • up to $5,000 in paper I bonds using your federal income tax refund
Two points:

• The limits apply separately, meaning you could acquire up to $15,000 in I bonds in a calendar year

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This article will explain it better, but I bonds are inflation adjusted every 6 months and you must hold for 12 months. Small penalty for selling before 5 years. Net is you can get a minimum of 6.05% over the next 12 months and 8.54% over 15 months. $10k max per person, but you can load up the kids and wife too.

https://keilfp.com/blogpodcast/i-bo...s over the next,worth $108.54 12 months later

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds_ibuy.htm

Now don't say I never did anything for you.

My wife and I bought our limit of these earlier this year. Continues to look like a good move.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I did this yesterday for me (10k) and I thought my wife too (10k). I must have done it wrong because I got a message this morning saying that I exceeded the limits and it will take 8-10 weeks for me to get my money back. So I'm going to open an separate account and put it in my wife's name alone so that I can get this interest rate. (8-10 weeks is freaking crazy! Maybe, just maybe it won't really take that long, but that's what the email said. This is the government we are talking about here.)

One other thing of note: I noticed the gain isn't state or locally taxable. It's only federal. And if I'm understanding it correctly, you don't pay federal tax if you pull it out in the same year a dependent is going to an institution of higher learning. So if I wait until my daughter goes off to college, all the gain would be tax free.

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
So you just like the security net

Of Treasury Bonds? Or do you think other investment options are likely to do worse than 8.5% over the next 15 months?

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
For me personally, it's about diversification. A sure thing at 8.5% is pretty good. I won't get rich on it, but I won't lose my *** either. If some of my other investments hit the moon, then great. But if they crash, I'll still have this to buffer those losses.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Of Treasury Bonds? Or do you think other investment options are likely to do worse than 8.5% over the next 15 months?

I basically look at it like a savings account.

In my portfolio I am heavy equities, but still have some fixed income. I like this a whole better than anything else I see in fixed income right now. But I'm not selling my AAPL, XOM, or LMT to jump into it.

Fixed income has crapped the bed with rising rates so hopefully I can harvest some tax losses as well. Will probably get going this week and buy the I Bonds next week.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I did this yesterday for me (10k) and I thought my wife too (10k). I must have done it wrong because I got a message this morning saying that I exceeded the limits and it will take 8-10 weeks for me to get my money back. So I'm going to open an separate account and put it in my wife's name alone so that I can get this interest rate.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you've got to have a completely separate account for each person. Not sure how it works with kids, but for sure husband and wife each need a separate account.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Guaranteed 8.5% seems pretty good for the next 15 months. If I could put 20% of my portfolio into it, I'd be up for it. The big problem with it is that you are going to be subject to ordinary income tax when you cash it in or sell it. So if you keep it for 15 months, your after tax return is now 6.375% which is something like a 5.1% annual after tax return. Certain good for a guaranteed after tax return, but nothing earth shattering. The other problem is that with it being limited to 10k per person, it's just not going to move the needle that much unless you think we're going to be dealing with high inflation (and low returns on other assets) for a while and you're planning on putting $20k in a year ($10k per spouse) for a while.

ETA: Another thought: If you have a sub 3% mortgage, buying $10k per spouse of I-Bonds is maybe a good compromise for somebody that doesn't like having debt but also realizes that paying off mortgage debt at sub 3% doesn't make a lot of financial sense. Say you have a $400k mortgage at 2.75% interest. You put $20k a year in I-bonds and for the foreseeable future, you are going to be solidly beating your mortgage costs and also maintaining the liquidity (subject to a 12 month lockup for each purchase) to use the money for other purposes if needed. If the after tax return ever drops below your mortgage rate, then you can just cash in the I-bonds and put that amount toward the mortgage if you don't care about the liquidity or put it in an S&P Index fund if you still can't stomach paying down sub 3% debt. Over the long term, I'd probably still rather put that money in S&P funds (if that's not going to be inflation over the course of a 30 year mortgage, we have serious problems), but for the next couple of years at least, the I-Bonds would seem to offer a much better risk adjusted return.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm okay with $1000 a year in after tax money vs leaving something in a turd that yields nothing. But yes, interest received is going to be federally taxed as OI. Not state though.

Fyi somebody really hates treasury bonds in this thread. Small penis is the likely cause. Very small. Pisses with roach clips small.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm okay with $1000 a year in after tax money vs leaving something in a turd that yields nothing. But yes, interest received is going to be federally taxed as OI. Not state though.

Fyi somebody really hates treasury bonds in this thread. Small penis is the likely cause. Very small. Pisses with roach clips small.

Definitely if you're going to have any fixed income outside of retirement accounts, it seems like your first $10k should go to I-Bonds right now.

ETA: ****, I apparently don't know the differences between TIPS and I-Bonds and my prior comments were stupid.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't like most treasuries because they don't pay ****. But these I like. I need to start buying $10,000 per year as long as the rates stay good. Thanks for the tip.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't like most treasuries because they don't pay ****. But these I like. I need to start buying $10,000 per year as long as the rates stay good. Thanks for the tip.

If inflation keeps outpacing productive investments, then we're so 17ed that the I-Bonds probably won't be worth it either. Not saying there isn't a place for that for keeping some liquid savings, but hopefully the rates will start to look ****** again in two years.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login