OT Question about selling a used car

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
My dad’s driving days are over and he asked me to help him sell his car. I haven’t sold a car in many years. Where’s the best place to list it? Craigslist? Is KBB the best site to use to set the price?

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Everyone is buying, everyone is overpaying. If the vehicle is a 14 or newer even the new dealers are looking to buy. Older than a 14, eBay, facebook, auto trader, tons of choices.

If you have a dealer that your dad used to service the vehicle, call them. They know the car.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I got $2.5k for a 2006 Frontier with a blown engine through Carvana. You'll get an estimate in an hour. Just some pics and you're done.

Feb 4, 2015
Personally I wouldn’t use Craigslist because of the spammers,scammers. They are terrible on Craigslist. You know them very quickly because they will usually respond to your listing within an hour of your posting.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
My dad’s driving days are over and he asked me to help him sell his car. I haven’t sold a car in many years. Where’s the best place to list it? Craigslist? Is KBB the best site to use to set the price?

If it's older, there's no better method than putting a sign on it and parking it by the road. I recently sold a a truck. I posted it on numerous sites but got 3 times as much interest from passers by - including the actual buyer.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
It’s a 2011. Good idea I’ll drive it for a while with a sign in the window

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
greenbean;[URL="tel:2030987" said:
2030987[/URL]]Deets please, make, model, year, milage and shape.
They just sent me a picture of the title and it’s actually a 2010 Lexus RX 140,000ish and I think it’s good shape. I’ll know after I drive it for few days.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Spend a $100 or so having the car professionally detailed, inside and out, or detail it yourself. First impressions do count, and a clean vehicle says you take care of your ride.

Feb 20, 2011
Let me add, get a Carvana quote first as a baseline.
Agree with this. I don't have experience with Carvana, but I did this with Carmax the last time I replaced a car. Not sure how Carmax and Carvana compare, though. Get both if you can.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005

depends on the level of hassle you would want to endure.

you are going to get more money to advertise it locally, price it a lil high, and negotiate. But you may hold it a month and you have to meet a bunch of tire kickers.

or

You can take it to a dealer and they will give you a respectable price right now. Walk in, sell, be done. Dealers are desperate for inventory right now.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
That has teenaged girls first car written all over it. 12 years old, low mileage, luxury brand, manageable insurance, high safety rating, you won’t have any trouble selling it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I hate w/ a passion the car selling experience, too many no shows, tire kickers, low ballers etc. so I take them to Carmax or Carvana and use their quotes to beat the other one up a little. I really enjoy the new car buying experience though which is the opposite of most people. Get a burner number from an app to put on your phone thought before either selling or buying but especially buying unless you want extended warranty calls for the next 2 years.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
They just sent me a picture of the title and it’s actually a 2010 Lexus RX 140,000ish and I think it’s good shape. I’ll know after I drive it for few days.

KBB lists it between $10,500 and $12,500 private party value. I'd probably list it at $14k (to the general public) to see if you have any takers (after you get the aforementioned quotes). A friend or family member is going to want this car, that would be easiest. Dealing with private party sales is a PITA, so I'd sell it to a dealer for less.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I hate w/ a passion the car selling experience, too many no shows, tire kickers, low ballers etc. so I take them to Carmax or Carvana and use their quotes to beat the other one up a little. I really enjoy the new car buying experience though which is the opposite of most people. Get a burner number from an app to put on your phone thought before either selling or buying but especially buying unless you want extended warranty calls for the next 2 years.

I actually enjoy the new car buying experience too. I enjoy the negotiation/haggling part of it. I like deal hunting. I usually know what I can buy a vehicle for and if I get a sales manager at one lot who won't take my offer, I enjoy the process of coming back to show him my new ride that I bought from a different dealer who didn't let his ego get in the way of selling a vehicle.

Right now the market isn't very conducive for deal hunting, though. The most negotiable part of the transaction is what they give you for your trade, if you're trading.

I will offer this bit of advice though for those considering buying new: Don't pay the "market adjustment" markups that these dealers put on their vehicles. You can usually negotiate them off that in about 30 seconds, and if they don't do it, just walk away, and go to a different dealer. Don't buy into the sob stories they tell you about why they need to ask for that, and how they are getting that. My neighbor found a new Yukon on a lot (which is a rare find these days) but it had a 15k "market adjustment" on it and he said the dealer told him that was non-negotiable and someone would pay it. I told him to go back the next day and offer MSRP as final offer - and he drove it home that afternoon. Don't fall for that BS.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login