OT: Renovating a 174-year-old house.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We are spending 100K to do it. We thought about selling it and the 80-year-old barn for the lumber and building from scratch. Talking to my stepdad who is going to live there I told him once the house was gone that is a piece of history that is gone. Union officers sleep there during Shermans Meridian Campaign. I have a history degree from Miss State, and I told him I don't feel comfortable tearing it down, so, we are going to bring it back to life. We have already got one quote of 85K. That included everything for the house from top to bottom except one room which we can do later. We will probably have that room done as well.

What would you do to renovate it

Would you hire someone to do it all knowing it will cost more but no headache for you or would you subcontract it out yourself, more headache but cost less. We don't want to spend 100K if possible, we have that much budgeted.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If I can help with plumbing, please let know. I’m probably one the only idiots left that is still willing to pour lead joints for cast-iron
I will keep you in mind. We really don't know what to do or who to call. The one person who came out and looked was a name given to us. The bathroom and kitchen will be totally updated with plumbing and everything.

Reactions: Motodawg

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022
Could see if there are any contractors nearby with experience in working with historic homes. I used to live in an area with a high density of ~130 year old homes, and several companies around specialized in working on them.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Could see if there are any contractors nearby with experience in working with historic homes. I used to live in an area with a high density of ~130 year old homes, and several companies around specialized in working on them.
The house is in rural Madison County up close to Camden.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
In the past I would’ve said contract it yourself but it’s changed. 1. It’s almost impossible to find someone to perform a specific task. 2. It’s impossible to coordinate multiple workers or contractors to be there and be finished when they’re supposed to. I’d pay one person And just deal with one person.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
We are spending 100K to do it. We thought about selling it and the 80-year-old barn for the lumber and building from scratch. Talking to my stepdad who is going to live there I told him once the house was gone that is a piece of history that is gone. Union officers sleep there during Shermans Meridian Campaign. I have a history degree from Miss State, and I told him I don't feel comfortable tearing it down, so, we are going to bring it back to life. We have already got one quote of 85K. That included everything for the house from top to bottom except one room which we can do later. We will probably have that room done as well.

Would you hire someone to do it all knowing it will cost more but no headache for you or would you subcontract it out yourself, more headache but cost less. We don't want to spend 100K if possible, we have that much budgeted.
Can you share some photos of the house?

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I’d be happy to share a metal detector with you and we could stock you a museum, amongst a lot of original nails, fasteners, keys, locks and other antiques. I love finding the old ornate homestead items. DM if interested. You keep everything we find

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Can you share some photos of the house?
I live in Brandon and if I get up there I will. It's a dog trot house that the trout has been closed in. The upper floor was removed in the 1940's. My stepdads father feared a storm would take it out. It is located on a hill.

This is what it would have looked like when it was built.

Image result for Dog Trot House. Size: 145 x 106. Source: demihiggins52.blogspot.com

Reactions: Lettuce and tbaydog

HotMop

May 8, 2006

Do it yourself and post updates on social media. Monetize the rebuild so that you get paid.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Do it yourself and post updates on social media. Monetize the rebuild so that you get paid.
Thats a great idea. My problem is I don't know what to do and work full time and my Stepdad is too old.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008

Please try to be there when they are tearing out the walls. Might not be anything in there but roaches, but you never know. Even an old letter or book would be great/

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login