OT reports saying Iran

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
We have plenty of serious problems, but I would love to hear how we are worse off than other developed countries, much less worse off than Russia.

- Unserious politicians that are a mix of people that are too stupid to realize their credentials are inflated and people that don't care about anything but their short term personal gain. This is probably the one where I would hope a lot of countries are better off than us, but it's not France, Germany, or Canada. Putin was probably at one time smarter and more ruthless than western politicians, but you have to come up with some pretty tortured 4d chess logic to explain away the situation he has put Russia into now.

- Below replacement rate total fertility rate? Yes, that's bad for us, but we're still better off than most developed countries, and definitely better off there than Russia.

- Ponzi scheme like welfare state for old people compounded by aging demographics and a below replacement rate total fertility rate. This is bad, but another situation where as far as I know we're mostly the tallest little person outside of some relatively small states.

- Spending like drunken sailors. I assume most countries don't have the credibility to run a deficit that's 6% of their GDP before accounting for the unfunded pension obligations. This is probably the most ridiculous thing we're doing, so maybe we really are in trouble compared to other developed countries here. But lots of those countries are going to be hurt also though by the US having a fiscal/monetary crisis.

- Large influx of immigrants that don't believe in western or classical liberal values? We're not as bad off on a percentage basis than most western european countries and the ones we are, we still are better than most countries at assimilating immigrants even if our sorry credentialed class has made us worse at it. THis is another area where Russia may be better off for all I know, but that also makes their demographic problems caused by a low fertility rate harder to overcome.

I'm drawing a blank and would love for you to explain how we're worse off.
collapse Of the dollar is coming. Four more years of the current administration ought to do the trick. Russia has the most natural resource wealth on the planet. Brics nations are on the ascendancy and will have a stable currency.

if you think Jake Sullivan, Antony Blinken and this ship of fools is leading us any where other than disaster you haven’t been paying attention.

• Haha
Reactions: ChE1997

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Well, you just argued that this was about spending, and that is EXACTLY how Regan defeated the Soviets. You are clueless.
We were in a direct cold war with Russia at the time, and we were using money to bulk our military capability, not to fund a proxy who doesn't have a chance to win.

The current parallel to this situation is Vietnam, where it became a stalemate. The only difference is we don't have boots on the ground in Ukraine (yet).

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Cite it. Make sure you demonstrate % of GDP as required for membership in NATO, and then compare it to what we're paying.
Cite what? I stated my case, Finland has a formidable military and is in an extremely strategic place. Look up their military and LOOK AT A MAP.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Cite it. Make sure you demonstrate % of GDP as required for membership in NATO, and then compare it to what we're paying.

You say "Requirement" It's more of a Guideline..

In 2024, 23 NATO member countries are expected to meet or exceed the 2% GDP target. Poland is the biggest spender as a share of GDP, at 4.12%, followed by Estonia at 3.43%, and the United States at 3.38%.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You cite it. Finland has a formidible
Military and it is in a VERY strategic place. Look at a dang map.
Why do I have to cite it? You're the one who incorrectly made the assertion that Finland is "kicking in."

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
We were in a direct cold war with Russia at the time, and we were using money to bulk our military capability, not to fund a proxy who doesn't have a chance to win.

The current parallel to this situation is Vietnam, where it became a stalemate. The only difference is we don't have boots on the ground in Ukraine (yet).
And the tiny fact that the Ukraine people don't want to be Russian....

Reactions: L4Dawg

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It's very odd for a Trump supporter to say that wavering support for Ukraine in the West is strengthening Russia, and that that's a bad thing. Paradoxical, isn't it?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Also strange to see anyone to compare the situation in Ukraine to the Vietnam War but also argue that Russia's outlook there is good, rather than ultimately destined for failure.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I have seen some crazy arguments and head scratching opinions on this board over the years, but the fact that people are actually arguing about who is in a better position between the United States and Russia is unreal. Where do some of you people get your news?
I get all my news from the Twitter feed of Super Patriotic Freedom Loving Anti-Woke Liberal Owning Freedom Eagle. He's never wrong and if his predictions haven't come true that only reveals how farsighted he is. Wake up sheeple.***

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You say "Requirement" It's more of a Guideline..

In 2024, 23 NATO member countries are expected to meet or exceed the 2% GDP target. Poland is the biggest spender as a share of GDP, at 4.12%, followed by Estonia at 3.43%, and the United States at 3.38%.
Thanks for linking a document that proved my point about Finland.

Also, do you want to explain what changed after 2016 that led to more allies kicking in and paying?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

We are in a direct Cold War with Russia now. EXCELLENT that you recognize we don't have boots on the ground in Ukraine. Terrible that you don't recognize who DOES. The REAL parallel here is the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. This is EXACTLY how Reagan defeated the Soviet Union.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Also strange to see anyone to compare the situation in Ukraine to the Vietnam War but also argue that Russia's outlook there is good, rather than ultimately destined for failure.
Again, I didn't say Russia's outlook is good. My assertion is it's a position they're willing to live with for now. I don't know why it's so difficult for people like you to acknowledge that Russia could escalate and overwhelm Ukraine any time they wanted to.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
We are in a direct Cold War with Russia now. EXCELLENT that you recognize we don't have boots on the ground in Ukraine. Terrible that you don't recognize who DOES. The REAL parallel here is the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. This is EXACTLY how Reagan defeated the Soviet Union.
Now you've surpassed your covid stupidity level.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Thanks for linking a document that proved my point about Finland.

Also, do you want to explain what changed after 2016 that led to more allies kicking in and paying?

You are such an idiot My link says Finland spends 40% of its money on new Equipment and 2.3% of it's GDP on Defense. Both Well above the guideline. And being next to Russia, have a key location.

Nothing in 2016.

The "Guidline" was put in place in 2014. After Russia took Crimea.

It got a lot more serious with funding in 2022, after Ukraine was invaded by Russia, again.

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Again, I didn't say Russia's outlook is good. My assertion is it's a position they're willing to live with for now. I don't know why it's so difficult for people like you to acknowledge that Russia could escalate and overwhelm Ukraine any time they wanted to.
Unless Russia decides to use nuclear weapons, there is nothing more they can do in Ukraine but hope Trump is elected and forces Ukraine to surrender.

Putin desperately wants to win the war and is not holding back in any way (other than nukes).

Reactions: L4Dawg and ChE1997

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
LOL

YOu cannot be serious. If Russia could " Take Ukraine when they wanted" They would

Waiting while NATO, expands membership, spending on defense, and develops new better weapons, is "good" for Russia how?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Why do I have to cite it? You're the one who incorrectly made the assertion that Finland is "kicking in."
Because you are trying to rebut a point. What I stated is not disputable. They have a formidable military and their position on the map is of IMMENSE strategic value. You are deflecting with a dang political talking point you are regurgitating. Think for yourself, look at a map.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
YES YOU DID. You just did it again.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
With the longshoreman's strike (my local Walmart is already out of TP), the presidential election, hurricane season still on and crappy State football I demand Pookieray share what he's been smoking.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Unless Russia decides to use nuclear weapons, there is nothing more they can do in Ukraine but hope Trump is elected and forces Ukraine to surrender.

Putin desperately wants to win the war and is not holding back in any way (other than nukes).
EXACTLY.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
LOL

YOu cannot be serious. If Russia could " Take Ukraine when they wanted" They would

Waiting while NATO, expands membership, spending on defense, and develops new better weapons, is "good" for Russia how?
He is just regurgitating political talking points.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Russia is really interested in extending this war even if it's costly financially and in lives lost of young men. All great powers want wars to last long and kill lots of their own people. They really hate winning quickly with little loss of life.***

Reactions: L4Dawg and ChE1997

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Russia is really interested in extending this war even if it's costly financially and in lives lost of young men. All great powers want wars to last long and kill lots of their own people. They really hate winning quickly with little loss of life.***
Especially when they are fighting a non-great power. Dragging things out really enhances their international prestige and status. ******* Begging for arms from North Korea and Iran REALLY enhances their status as well.. *****

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Some of you guys really need to get laid
That's a valid comment every day of the year regardless of what we do or don't do. I'm bringing that up with wifey. Tell me you're a doctor or someone with sufficient authority to make her comply.

Reactions: HailStout

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
collapse Of the dollar is coming. Four more years of the current administration ought to do the trick.

We're hurtling towards a disaster, but there is a lot of ruin in a nation. We could push it off by another two decades easily just by ratcheting back the stupidity by 10%. Not saying we will, but I don't think our voting population is any more hopeless than Britains with Thatcher was elected/selected.

Russia has the most natural resource wealth on the planet. Brics nations are on the ascendancy and will have a stable currency.

You know who else has a lot of natural resources? The US. Maybe can't produce the same amount per capita as Russia, but we can produce more than we need anytime we get too poor to be stupid.

if you think Jake Sullivan, Antony Blinken and this ship of fools is leading us any where other than disaster you haven’t been paying attention.
We can (and likely will) have a disaster and still be better off than Russia. Again, pretty much every problem we have other countries have worse. And more so than any other country, we could relatively quickly remedy our problems by just ratcheting the stupidity back. I don't have a lot of confidence we will do that without a crisis/disaster, but I think there's a very good chance we'll do it before we get to the point where Russia is better off than us. Certainly not guaranteed and we could choose to make things worse by emulating Venezuala or Russia or China or going the route of splitting up the country peacefully or not. But the chances of Russia stop being Russia and adopting the type of classical liberal values that make countries rich are way lower than the chances of the US deciding to quit being stupid when it gets painful enough.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login