OT - Rifle Scopes

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
In the market for one. Will be used for MS hunting with most shots under 100 yards and the occasional 200-300 yards. Looking for something that gathers light well for those last few minutes of light. I’d like to keep it at $500 or less. I’ll hang up and listen.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
The 30mm tube Vortex viper 2.5x10x44 should suit your needs perfect. If your mainly under 100 yards then you probably won't need a side focus. Mine has been used on a couple of barrels for my T/C Encore and is probably going to end up on a slug gun or muzzleloader. One of the brightest scopes I've ever looked through in that price range.

msu86

Sep 17, 2015
I went through Meopta, Vortex, Nikon, Zeiss and everything in between. For that money absolutely nothing beats a Leupold Vx3i. Im a big fan of the 30mm tubing but that is gonna be just out of your price range. My favorite is the 3.5-14x50 with 30 mm tubing.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The 30mm tube Vortex viper 2.5x10x44 should suit your needs perfect. If your mainly under 100 yards then you probably won't need a side focus. Mine has been used on a couple of barrels for my T/C Encore and is probably going to end up on a slug gun or muzzleloader. One of the brightest scopes I've ever looked through in that price range.

Vortex is my favorite scope brand. I agree it’s one of the brightest scopes I’ve ever used.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
I went through Meopta, Vortex, Nikon, Zeiss and everything in between. For that money absolutely nothing beats a Leupold Vx3i. Im a big fan of the 30mm tubing but that is gonna be just out of your price range. My favorite is the 3.5-14x50 with 30 mm tubing.

This is the play. I have 4 dozen scopes. Have owned many others. I’m not a brand loyalist, but in the sub $500 range your best best is a Leupold VXR or VX 3i unless you can find a used Zeiss.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
This is the play. I have 4 dozen scopes. Have owned many others. I’m not a brand loyalist, but in the sub $500 range your best best is a Leupold VXR or VX 3i unless you can find a used Zeiss.

I used to be a Leupold fan boy but the Vortex viper line left them far behind. I'd rate the Leupold VX line with the vortex diamondback line. If you dial your shots then the leupy more than likely won't track true each time you use it.
If you just guess the yardage/moa and only shoot it a couple of times a year then either will work.

Last edited:

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
I used to be a Leupold fan boy but the Vortex viper line left them far behind. I'd rate the Leupold VX line with the vortex diamondback line. If you dial your shots then the leupy more than likely won't track true each time you use it.
If you just guess the yardage/moa and only shoot it a couple of times a year then either will work.
I’ve got plenty of both and I would argue that it depends on the intended use of the scope. For a hunting scope, Leupold glass and coatings are much better than the Vortex Viper series. Vortex makes really good scopes and they do track well, but their coatings leave a LOT to be desired in low light conditions typically seen in hunting. Especially in cases where the sun is setting and the hunter is looking back into it. Vipers wash out where Leupolds don’t. Leupolds also tend to be lighter which matters to me in a hunting rifle. For a target rifle, the Viper is going to offer more features for the money, but I’m spending my money on Leupold 10 times out of 10 for an under $500 hunting scope. Unless of course, I can find the aforementioned used Zeiss in the same price range.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I went through the vortex phase. Seem bright but I had real problems at last light. Washout and seeing the crosshairs. Went back to leupold and zeiss.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Burris Fullfield E1 50mm

I figured I'd throw this in since everyone seems to be gay for Vortex, not that there's anything wrong with that. I always liked Vortex. The price of the Fullfield has come down over the years. It's now an outstanding bargain.

So the 50mm tube at 9x mag is going to give you an exit pupil of about 5.5 mm. At 8x and 7x its 6.3 and 7.1 respectively. That's about the sweet spot. Your adult male pupil fully dilated is going to be around 7 or 8 mm. But that's in the dark. You won't be shooting in the dark. So 6mm is reasonable which just happens to be 9x. The sharpness of the image in this scope is excellent. Never ever had any problems. And it holds zero in my experience.

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fullfield-E1-Scope-3X-9X-50mm/dp/B004J78F41#customerReviews

Last edited:

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

This, I’ve tried them all. Leupold is all that I buy now.

View attachment 23377

Last edited:

Bud.sixpack

Aug 24, 2012
In that price range VX3i is your best for light gathering. I have had dozens of scopes, right now I'm hunting with Swarovski and VX6HD. The VX6 is the best light gathering scope I have ever had, and it's not close.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I’ve got plenty of both and I would argue that it depends on the intended use of the scope. For a hunting scope, Leupold glass and coatings are much better than the Vortex Viper series. Vortex makes really good scopes and they do track well, but their coatings leave a LOT to be desired in low light conditions typically seen in hunting. Especially in cases where the sun is setting and the hunter is looking back into it. Vipers wash out where Leupolds don’t. Leupolds also tend to be lighter which matters to me in a hunting rifle. For a target rifle, the Viper is going to offer more features for the money, but I’m spending my money on Leupold 10 times out of 10 for an under $500 hunting scope. Unless of course, I can find the aforementioned used Zeiss in the same price range.

I'll agree on the intended use and I recommend looking through them for yourself. My 2.5x10 is still the brightest I have ever seen in that price range. I have a Leupold Long Range Tactical that isn't as bright at dusk. They each have their strong points and week points until you spend a little or a lot more money.

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
Thanks everyone. This helped, as it validated where my head was already (torn between Leupold and Vortex). It also didn’t help, because everyone here seems to be basically split on the two as well. I’ll probably go Leupold, but I have a pair of Vortex Viper binos and they are very impressive so I’ve been considering trying one of their scopes. I’ll give several a look and see what looks best to me.

Merry Christmas everyone!

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
Thanks everyone. This helped, as it validated where my head was already (torn between Leupold and Vortex). It also didn’t help, because everyone here seems to be basically split on the two as well. I’ll probably go Leupold, but I have a pair of Vortex Viper binos and they are very impressive so I’ve been considering trying one of their scopes. I’ll give several a look and see what looks best to me.

Merry Christmas everyone!

There’s really not a bad choice between Leupold and Vortex, so you’re in a good spot. If you hadn’t specified hunting as a main use, I would have probably recommended Vortex for the value, but Leupold is hard to beat for brightness and light transmission.

catvet

May 11, 2009
If you aren't paying for Swarovski or Zeiss, then nothing comes close to Leupold. Had Vortex products and they dont come close to Leupold.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Have a Leupold vx II 3-9x40 on a gun I’ve had since mid 90’s. Countless boxes of shells have been fired and years of hunting abuse, and I still trust it to be true.

Also have a Konus pro 3-12x 40 on .35 Whalen. It’s a red/blue illuminated dot with ballistic plex. Seems as clear as Leupold to me.

Bigger glass and bigger tubes do gather more light, but are also heavier.

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
That’s what your IR Hunter thermal is for.

QUOTE=greenbean;2002801]^^^^ not from Webster County.[/QUOTE]

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login