OT: Roger Wicker strikes again

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Cosigns the letter urging Biden to admit more foreign workers into the USA. He may get re-elected due to name recognition, but it will be in spite of me voting for somebody else. Anybody else.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Mixed emotions...

Cosigns the letter urging Biden to admit more foreign workers into the USA. He may get re-elected due to name recognition, but it will be in spite of me voting for somebody else. Anybody else.

...I understand the need....no one wants to pay $10 for a pint of strawberries. And quite frankly technology innovation success in this country is based on diversity of talent.

Nationalism is a double-edged sword

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It's certainly not politically palatable but it's necessary in some industry sectors (e.g., timbering here in the south for one thing which was mentioned in a previous thread in this here message board a few days ago).

Sometimes folks have to be pragmatic. I know people from my hometown who hate the idea of foreign workers but who the heck is going to move to Jasper County?

Feb 12, 2013
Ok? So? Give them citizenship, produce more taxpayers, and let them work and live their lives in peace.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We have a labor shortage in this country whether you want to admit it or not and it’s not going to get better trying to solve it domestically.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
It’s going to be tough to protect the American consumer from the American worker.

We should be proud of the fact that immigrants want to move here. We have to have them to remain competitive on the world stage going forward.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
People don’t want to do manual labor and it’s not the pay in many situations. In California there was some vegetable farmers offering 25 dollars an hour and transportation and no one would show up.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It sucks, but somebody has to perform manual labor. We need 2.2 million new workers today in construction. They just flat out are not coming out of our own potential workforce. If Costco and Amazon are paying $20/hr for new hires, what do you think it takes to hire a new construction worker?

I don't know if there is a big enough premium to get our younger generation interested in physical work.

Not sure where you live, but if it's Mississippi it may not be like fast growing areas. Unemployment rate in Austin is below 3. It's 2.7 in Nashville. Down to 1.8 in Boise. The only way to hire someone is to pay more than current employer is paying, even if they are not worth it. That's how inflation persists.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Wide support among folks in the two major parties & as well as at least one Independent (that's Angus King from Maine) here.

Along with Sens. Warner, Kaine, Rounds, and King the letter was signed by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Chris Coons (D-DE), Jim Risch (R-ID), Michael Bennet (D-CO), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Bob Menendez (D-NJ), Rob Portman (R-OH), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Roy Blunt (R-MO), Rev. Raphael Warnock (D-GA), Cynthia Lummis (R-WY), Tom Carper (D-DE), John Cornyn (R-TX), Joe Manchin (D-WV), Mike Crapo (R-ID), John Thune (R-SD), John Hickenlooper (D-CO), Susan Collins (R-ME), Pat Toomey (R-PA), Tina Smith (D-MN), Kevin Cramer (R-ND), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Roger Wicker (R-MS), Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), Jerry Moran (R-KS), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Rand Paul (R-KY), Mark Kelly (D-AZ), John Barasso (R-WY), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), and Tim Scott (R-SC).

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Thanks for the link. H2-A and H2-B workers are pretty vital in the US and I’m glad to see this move.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
We need them right now. Wicker is right on this.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's certainly not politically palatable but it's necessary in some industry sectors (e.g., timbering here in the south for one thing which was mentioned in a previous thread in this here message board a few days ago).

Sometimes folks have to be pragmatic. I know people from my hometown who hate the idea of foreign workers but who the heck is going to move to Jasper County?

I think an H2A visa program of almost any size would be politically palatable? I don't think many people are bothered by bringing in migrant workers for agricultural labor jobs (including thigns like processing plants).

The H2B I think is probably harder politically because some of those jobs either would be desirable to citizens, or could arguably support a higher wage without much job loss if H2B workers weren't used to suppress wages. I suspect there are probably a lot of jobs that people would not object to H2B visas for though.

I don't have a problem with either, but I think we should really open up legal immigration for skilled workers. It's not that I'm opposed to low skilled immigration, but we've encouraged so much of it to be done illegally, I think we need to give the market for low skilled workers in the US some breathing room. They get all the competition for selling their services but a lot of the people they have to buy services from are protected from foreign competition (and often domestic competition too because of licensing schemes). And just when low skilled workers were being allowed to make some real wage gains in the US, we hammered them with the pandemic lockdowns and inflation and then opened up the border again for low skilled workers (or even worse for them, high skilled workers that have to compete for low wage jobs because of their legal status).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
According to the link in thatsbaseball's comment lower in this thread, these are 2B visas.

I think it's politically justifiable but I know too many people who loathe the idea of foreign workers and like the OP would vote against elected officials who supported these measures.

As for me though, this news makes me much more likely to vote for Wicker if he runs for re-election in 2024.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

We were able to get 20 Guatemalans this year on H-2B visas (12 of whom have worked from us previously) and we practically threw a party in celebration.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008

OK, what happens when these workers find out they don't have to work either? Will our government make them leave (ha ha ha.) Just more people at the public trough. Maybe we need to make it less comfortable for those citizens who or able to work but refuse to do so. Make them show up somewhere every day to do public work, and if there is no work maybe let them go home. But get them off their butts and a little less comfortable.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Lawful immigration makes this country great. One of my former employees moved to this country as a small child with her parents, who were from Mexico. They were migrant workers who moved around a lot, usually working 80+ hours a week. Her earliest memories were of picking onions in the field. That young lady taught herself English, got her GED, earned an Associate’s Degree, and is working on her Bachelor’s Degree. It was one of the proudest moments of my life when she invited me to her swearing in ceremony to become a US citizen. I had tears in my eyes. She’s the best employee I ever had. If you’re not down with that, you can go 17 yourself.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
OK, what happens when these workers find out they don't have to work either? Will our government make them leave (ha ha ha.) Just more people at the public trough. Maybe we need to make it less comfortable for those citizens who or able to work but refuse to do so. Make them show up somewhere every day to do public work, and if there is no work maybe let them go home. But get them off their butts and a little less comfortable.

In which swampdawg causally advocates for slavery.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
It’s going to be tough to protect the American consumer from the American worker.

We should be proud of the fact that immigrants want to move here. We have to have them to remain competitive on the world stage going forward.

It's true: as consumers, we are absolutely, the 17n worst. We get all dumb about where **** comes from and its actual cost. Just give it to us. ... and convince us you're giving us a deal.

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Cannot be stated enough

And both parties need their asses kick for our dysfunctional immigration laws

Well planned immigration = good. Illegal immigration = always bad. Sensitivity to refugees = good when you aren't too big of a sucker to get taken advantage of. I think most agree with those statements. Not all, but enough to get most Americans behind.

What options do we generally get over time? Branding that alternates between "open borders" and "build the wall". I know that's not the official reality and the parties attempt to be more nuanced than that, but all the campaign trail chest beating does it create two tribes that are more concerned with making sure the other side fails than arriving at some sort of workable plan.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It’d be kinda cool if they would take care of all the illegals crossing the border while they’re at it.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They’re H2-B workers, not green card holders or new citizens. They’re here to do a job and then return to their home country after a set amount of time.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Day labor has become a pretty big business in TX. We picked them up all of the time from a place run by the City of Plano when I was doing concrete jobs... After the first few, I refused to pickup anyone that spoke english. They were lazy, stole ****, and couldn't do anything right. Had one dude disappear all day. They found him asleep in the bushes. The other guys said he will still expect to get paid and threatens everyone until they pay him. We left his *** in the bushes 30 miles away from his car.

A large percentage of the people in this country that aren't already working are a bigger liability in the workforce than they are at home collecting a check. That's really ****** to say, but when you own a small business, every employee you hire is a liability or an asset.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
dorndawg;[URL="tel:2020491" said:
2020491[/URL]]In which swampdawg causally advocates for slavery.

Do you think like this IRL or do you only portray yourself as a real dumbass just to troll? Nowhere in his comments did anything he say remotely advocate for slavery unless you SJW morons changed the definition of yet another word.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Yeah, so many of them actually look as Irish as people here celebrating Cinco De Mayo. Another shoot-and-miss for you.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Do you think like this IRL or do you only portray yourself as a real dumbass just to troll? Nowhere in his comments did anything he say remotely advocate for slavery unless you SJW morons changed the definition of yet another word.

Thank you for your feedback and insights.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
What's your definition of assimilate?

Fine by me as long as they assimilate.

Too many wildly varying Americans cultures to name. If there has been any constant to American culture over the centuries, it's that there have been many many different cultures. Makes sense considering the large expanse and freedoms we enjoy.

I could be sold on an official language, but that usually takes care of itself after the first generation. USUALLY. I know there are cases where that doesn't pan out and that's unfortunate.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Whoops. This one didn’t quite go as the OP may have assumed.

Best roofing job ever - Latin/Hispanic
Best wood floor job ever - Latin/Hispanic
On time, on budget, zero issues.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

We need the workers. If they're here legally it's not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login