OT: Roger Wicker strikes again

Status
Not open for further replies.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
'...“Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”...'

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Too many wildly varying Americans cultures to name. If there has been any constant to American culture over the centuries, it's that there have been many many different cultures. Makes sense considering the large expanse and freedoms we enjoy.

I could be sold on an official language, but that usually takes care of itself after the first generation. USUALLY. I know there are cases where that doesn't pan out and that's unfortunate.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
OK, what happens when these workers find out they don't have to work either? Will our government make them leave (ha ha ha.) Just more people at the public trough. Maybe we need to make it less comfortable for those citizens who or able to work but refuse to do so. Make them show up somewhere every day to do public work, and if there is no work maybe let them go home. But get them off their butts and a little less comfortable.

Why wont they have to work?

Also, do you understand the details of the laws being discussed?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Some misguided individuals seem to believe a person can get untold fortunes by not working. They can never quite prove it, they just "know" it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Hear! Hear! I think we should also track everyone's work productivity. Spend 15 minutes posting on a sports message board during your work day; forced public service for 15 minutes the next Saturday. If that doesn't make them uncomfortable enough, 30 minutes the next Saturday. We CAN force those people to work more efficiently and help the economy move forward way faster. But get them off their message boards on company time.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Fine by me as long as they assimilate.

You want the US goverment to make temporary workers assimilate? Why?
Even if they were permanent, why do they need to assimilate?...and more importantly, to what do they need to assimilate? Do they need to assimilate to others in their culture? Do they need to assimilate to some coastal granola culture? Do they need to assimilate to some Southern hunting culture? Do they need to assimilate to some played out PNW hipster culture?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Does your boss make you come to work to get paid or does he let you stay at home and still collect a check for doing nothing? I suggest looking up the definition of slavery.

Demanding I use small words, then telling me to get definitions for you - what handout are you going to want next?

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Demanding I use small words, then telling me to get definitions for you - what handout are you going to want next?

I know the defintion of slavery but it is obvious you do not if you think requiring someone to work is equivalent to slavery. By your definition, every job in the country is slavery if they require you to actually do work to get paid.

But since you don't look it up, the Britannica definition of slavery is when one human being is owned by another. Asking someone to work for money is not ownership.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I know the defintion of slavery but it is obvious you do not if you think requiring someone to work is equivalent to slavery. By your definition, every job in the country is slavery if they require you to actually do work to get paid.

But since you don't look it up, the Britannica definition of slavery is when one human being is owned by another. Asking someone to work for money is not ownership.

I wish I had more time to continue our discussion, I can tell you're very much interested in having good-faith banter.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Fine by me as long as they assimilate.
If you're referring to Hispanics, you're an idiot. Seriously, enough with those 2004 talking points. Have you been to Texas recently? Nobody has assimilated more than Hispanic people. They are about as American as you can get these days.

Who cares if they speak Spanish among themselves? I married into an Italian family, they speak Italian all the damn time, especially when they want to talk **** about me.

If you want your type of people to dominate the culture, it's simple, you better get out there and tell people to have more babies. The future belongs to whoever shows up, and THEY set the culture.

I'll say this - I am a little biased toward Hispanic people, as I've worked and interacted with them most of my life. And I guarantee you they are much more family oriented and civilized than many of these shitass Americans we have walking around these days.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Some misguided individuals seem to believe a person can get untold fortunes by not working. They can never quite prove it, they just "know" it.

I don't think anybody thinks people can get a fortune, it's just that they have some connection to reality and realize that plenty of people would rather cobble together some government benefits, a little under the table work, and a ton of leisure time and prefer that to working an honest job. There are lots of jobs that need to get done that nobody would do except for a paycheck. It's a bad idea to make them feel like suckers for working rather than being on the government teat.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
To him, any contract requiring a fulfillment is considered slavery apparently.
come here on a work visa and one must work…..or go back. It’s like a student visa.
Never miss an opportunity to turn an opposing view into something it’s not. Just be glad he didn’t compare it to the Holocaust.***

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Hear! Hear! I think we should also track everyone's work productivity. Spend 15 minutes posting on a sports message board during your work day; forced public service for 15 minutes the next Saturday. If that doesn't make them uncomfortable enough, 30 minutes the next Saturday. We CAN force those people to work more efficiently and help the economy move forward way faster. But get them off their message boards on company time.
View attachment 23889

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
well actually, Roger is 100% correct. We do need workers and we need a clear immigration policy for worker visas.

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
Do they need to assimilate to some played out PNW hipster culture?

Please explain why the PNW culture is the one that is "played out"?

At face value, that statement seems rather discriminatory and we all know you never discriminate against anyone or any group much less region.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Too many wildly varying Americans cultures to name. If there has been any constant to American culture over the centuries, it's that there have been many many different cultures. Makes sense considering the large expanse and freedoms we enjoy.

I could be sold on an official language, but that usually takes care of itself after the first generation. USUALLY. I know there are cases where that doesn't pan out and that's unfortunate.
Interesting question, and the only thing I can come up with is very simple - respect for the country and the freedoms it affords. That doesn't mean you can't love your home/former country or anything like that. Also doesn't mean pride. Just respect for the general principles. I'm not even saying you can't push the limits from time to time, sometimes it may be necessary. But the respect has to be there, and honestly that's where I think a lot of the woke movement has gone wrong. I don't sense any respect for the country at all from those folks.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I’m not your student. Explain yourself.
dorn uses a pic of people of mixed races celebrating St Patty’s day as if only the Irish celebrate the holiday and used it as an ignorant way to say the Irish haven’t assimilated. Maybe he doesn’t know what “assimilate” means. It wouldn’t surprise me given his history of poor arguments. Therefore he had a shoot-and-miss as usual.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

He is not familiar with the laws being discussed. Nor is he likely familiar with the fact that I’m sure several MS businesses asked Wicker to support this. Swampdawg seems to think foreigners = bad

patdog

May 28, 2007
You should keep going. You're in strong contention for most ridiculous post of the year with your slavery analogy. I'm curious just how deep you can dig this hole.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Phil Lynott was a mixed race Irishman and proud of being both.

As I mentioned previously, this was a swing and miss on your part.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I’m not your student. Explain yourself.
dorn uses a pic of people of mixed races celebrating St Patty’s day as if only the Irish celebrate the holiday and used it as an ignorant way to say the Irish haven’t assimilated. Maybe he doesn’t know what “assimilate” means. It wouldn’t surprise me given his history of poor arguments. Therefore he had a shoot-and-miss as usual.
He's trolling you, dude. He only picked Irish because they are white.

His point isn't a bad one, but he is just being a dick (dorndawg).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He's trolling you, dude. He only picked Irish because they are white.

His point isn't a bad one, but he is just being a dick (dorndawg).

Exactly & WilCoDawg fell into the trap.

Whether the trap was by design by dorndawg or accidental is a different matter...

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don't have a problem with any immigrant who wants to work. We have plenty of non immigrants that sit on their *** and don't work and live off of others. Not to mention many immigrants will work for a lot less and do jobs many Americans won't.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
No argument here.

Interesting question, and the only thing I can come up with is very simple - respect for the country and the freedoms it affords. That doesn't mean you can't love your home/former country or anything like that. Also doesn't mean pride. Just respect for the general principles. I'm not even saying you can't push the limits from time to time, sometimes it may be necessary. But the respect has to be there, and honestly that's where I think a lot of the woke movement has gone wrong. I don't sense any respect for the country at all from those folks.

Respect the country. Fix what you can fix without being a whiny *****. There's a difference between being a critic pursing a better country and being a hater. Seems like the loudest critics are simply haters these days. Flip side of that, I'm also tired of the fake patriotism as well. Waving a flag higher than your neighbor or any dumb bumper sticker or hollow gesture doesn't make you any better a citizen. It is becoming more superficial and commercialized than it actually being symbolic of respect for country.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Please stop trolling.

I find it interesting you accuse me of trolling when I literally leave the thread. Fair enough I left like a smartass, but I've seen enough to know it wasn't going anywhere. I think you whiffed on this one, DSD.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Well planned immigration = good. Illegal immigration = always bad. Sensitivity to refugees = good when you aren't too big of a sucker to get taken advantage of. I think most agree with those statements. Not all, but enough to get most Americans behind.

What options do we generally get over time? Branding that alternates between "open borders" and "build the wall". I know that's not the official reality and the parties attempt to be more nuanced than that, but all the campaign trail chest beating does it create two tribes that are more concerned with making sure the other side fails than arriving at some sort of workable plan.

The challenge isn't getting americans behind reasonable immigration laws. The challenge is getting immigration laws to match the preferences of a majority of our citizens. A relatively small portion of our country doesn't want immigrants. A relatively small portion of our country wants functionally open boarders. A pretty sizeable majority is going to be in favor of a good bit of legal immigration and cutting back on illegal immigration. They might disagree on how to structure legal immigration (how many a year, whether to allocate based on skills, money, country of origin, etc), but there'd be a compromise that could be reached. The problem is a lot of politicians in both parties get money from people that like having illegal immigrants available, and a lot of politicians on the left think that promoting illegal immigration secures their positions (I guess because they think there will eventually be an amnesty that grants voting rights because a massive deportation will be impractical and people will be uncomfortable having second class citizens/residents), so what we get is the current situation where legal immigration is hard and dysfunctional but illegal immigration is essentially encouraged.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
They’re H2-B workers, not green card holders or new citizens. They’re here to do a job and then return to their home country after a set amount of time.

For the H2-A workers, I think that's a reasonable approach. We have a lot of affordable agriculture that won't be produced if we are limited to permanent residents of the US to work our industries.

But I think for a lot of H2-B workers, I'd rather just give them green cards.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Please explain why the PNW culture is the one that is "played out"?

At face value, that statement seems rather discriminatory and we all know you never discriminate against anyone or any group much less region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login