OT: Savannah - Hilton Head

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The wife and I got tickets to the Savannah Bananas and are making the trip in mid-July. Anybody have any recommendations on places to stay in and around Savannah or Hilton Head?

Also, are there any “must-do” or “must-see” places?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There’s tons of small stores and restaurants down by the riverfront in Savannah and it’s a really neat town. Check out the cathedral there from the colonial era. The stain glass windows are incredible.

Not far from there is Tybee Island.

stateguy

Sep 2, 2012
Went few weeks ago for work

Stayed at Westin Savannah. Nice but across river from everything. Easy to cross assuming the ferry is running. Was down a few times over 4 days we were there.

check out the Marriott SAvannah Plant Hotel Lobby even if you don't stay there. Old power plant that they converted. Lobby has a lot of natural history/geology type stuff. Dinosaur skeleton, huge crystals. Pretty neat

Forsythe park - where Forest Gump was telling his story

Lots of cool restuarants in downtown area.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
The wife and I got tickets to the Savannah Bananas and are making the trip in mid-July. Anybody have any recommendations on places to stay in and around Savannah or Hilton Head?

Also, are there any “must-do” or “must-see” places?

If you haven’t already, read “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” before you go. “Murder Mystery” set in Savannah. Great book with great characters.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Have dinner at Alligator Soul.....one of the best meals I've had in the last couple of yrs. it's not on the menu but ask for the alligator candy as an appetizer.

Last edited:

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
If you stay on Hilton Head Island, I'd stay at the end of loop if possible. Seems crowded, but lots of beach front around the horn and can park the car for the whole trip and walk to all the bars, restaurants, and shops.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Plenty of good affordable AirBNBs in Savannah. Stayed in a loft carriage house last summer and it was great. All ikea furniture and easy walking distance to the river.

Definitely read/watch Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and then so the house tour. Follow that up with a light night ghost tour downtown. They are better than many of them in NOLA.

I was not impressed by Tybee Island at all. It’s not anything close to what you see in gulf tourist communities. There’s no restaurant/bar/condo scene there. Very residential and small town feel.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
A "must-do" for Hilton Head is to find a time machine and travel back to July 1996. Then you'll be able to be there for the mandatory evacuation for Hurricane Bertha, and you'll get to sit in traffic for 6 hours as you're trying to drive 10 miles to get off the island. Highly recommend.

Jddrew1142

Sep 9, 2015
I thought they were playing real baseball in July. I thought the banana ball thing was just something they did in the preseason for fun.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I thought they were playing real baseball in July. I thought the banana ball thing was just something they did in the preseason for fun.

It is regular baseball. The tickets still sold out an hour after we got ours. From all accounts, it’s still a fun atmosphere even during the regular season.

My wife and I are finally taking our honeymoon and we’re spending a week in the mountains (east TN/west NC). We saw an opportunity to get Bananas tickets, so we’re making an excursion down to Savannah before we head back to Texas.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Planters Tavern below the Old Pink House, Six Pence Pub, Peregrin, Lost Square, LaScala Italian, Vic’s on the River, Treylor Park, Mrs Wilkes for fried chicken, Cotton Sail Hotel or Eliza Thompson House.
Rent bikes and spend a full afternoon exploring all of the squares. Forsythe Park was NOT where Forrest Gump was telling his story - it was Chippewa Square.
If you do go to Tybee, check out the Lighthouse at Tybee Island and The Deck for drinks. Food is ok but you go for the views

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Wanted to follow-up on this and say thank you for all the great suggestions!

Neither of us ever spent much time in Savannah and we both really enjoyed it. The Spanish Moss gave it a really eerie feel.

We stayed at the Foley House Inn across the street from Chippewa Square (the Forrest Gump bench isn’t there, but you can easily figure out where it was). I don’t know how it compares to other places to stay, but we really liked it. Nice room & atmosphere and you can’t beat the location. We watched Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil the first night we were there and it gave us some places to search out, so good suggestion there.

We ate at Treylor Park Hitch (another good suggestion) for lunch and it was a good casual place.

Went down to the Riverfront area and checked out the shops and that Power Plant Marriott. It was REALLY cool. It was like going to a free museum. Also went to the huge Basilica of St. John the Baptist, the stained glass and the decor inside are unbelievable.

We ate at Alligator Soul for dinner and had the candied alligator for an appetizer, which was amazing, and had antelope for my main course and it was easily the best meal I’ve eaten in a LONG time.

Spent the next day at Tybee Island, drove by the lighthouse. There are better beaches in the world, but it was about my speed as far as beaches go, not too crowded, pretty clean, and wasn’t junked up with seaweed or views of oil tankers.

Drove back to the B&B through Bonaventure Cemetery and it is simultaneously beautiful and creepy. In that way, it’s an allegory for the whole town.

I am going to echo what everybody else has said about the Savannah Bananas. Go. Ours was a regular Coastal Plains League game and it was still one of the most fun times I’ve ever had at a sporting event. They played in kilts and came out of centerfield like they were in Braveheart behind a galloping horse with their bats held over their heads. There is literally something happening from the time you get in line until the very end of the game. The music is all designed to be sung along with and the players periodically come through the crowd. There are dancing septuagenarians and fan participation and crazy skits during evening inning and mid-inning break. Oh... and all you can eat hot dogs, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and chicken sandwiches is included in your ticket.

So again, thanks guys. I pulled this thread up multiple times when I was there and you guys really came through.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login