OT: Self defense shotguns

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'm looking around for a shorter barrel self defense shotgun without a ****-ton of recoil for a college age girl. Prefer 20 GA but doesn't have to be. Anybody got a recommendation?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Mossberg maverick. Cheap easy to get at academy.
Will add to this the 20 gauge is a little harder to find in security style. But they do occasionally get the youth models. 12 gauge shells are easier to get so I would recommend the security 12 gauge of a shockwave which is a little more expensive made to hold at the hip rather than the shoulder.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I’d make it cheap and easy and look for a used 870 express in 20ga. I got one and it’s fairly compact. Would likely make a decent home defense option. I just used to dove hunt when I was a kid.
I think finding a 20ga purpose built for HD could be a little hard. Most are 12ga.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I have the REMARMS 870 Tactical and really like it. My buddy has the Mossberg equivalent and really likes it. You can always try the mini shells for less recoil. Make sure to practice with them to ensure they cycle through the shotgun properly. I have a light and side mounted shell holder on mine. There is always debate as to whether you want a light attached to your firearm as any fire you draw will be directed towards the light.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Remington isn't what it used to be. I wouldn't get an 870.
Mossberg makes quality, affordable pump shotguns. I really, really like the retrograde series.
If you want to spend a little extra, get a Kel-Tec KSG

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm looking around for a shorter barrel self defense shotgun without a ****-ton of recoil for a college age girl. Prefer 20 GA but doesn't have to be. Anybody got a recommendation?

My uncle got my cousin a German Shepherd when she went off to college in Houston. Made a good argument that the dog would react way quicker to an intruder if she was awake or asleep and would rip the balls of any boyfriend that tried to cross a line she didn’t want him to cross.

That was Houston, if we’re talking Hackson you’ll need 3 shepherds, a shotgun, and a few strategically placed claymores.

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
Either way you go, FalconStrike makes a recoil reduction pad that you aught to try. It’s expensive but worth the money, in my opinion, especially if it’s for a young woman. I don’t know if all at the numbers that claim are true on reduced recoil, muzzle lift, and others are true, but there is a noticeable difference with and without the pad on my 7 wsm (7 short mag).

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I have two daughters that hunt and I wouldn’t send my girls to college with a 12 gauge. Way too much recoil in my opinion. If she is under 5’5” or so I’d look for a youth model 20 gauge. Also, unless she knows her way around a pump action or is willing to train until she is, I’d stay with a semiautomatic. And yes, you can shoot the short shells for reduced recoil, but the 20 gauge will have less feeding issues.

Reactions: SirBarksalot

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This is exactly what I have and would recommend.
I worked guns for academy on the side for a little while. Don't anymore but I sold a lot of mossbergs for security purposes. The Stevens security models are clunky. Keltec is nice but it's over kill. ATAs suck. Remington isn't what it used to be since they were bought out and then went under because of that. Just poor quality. Mossberg 590s are used by police and military. Higher grade steel parts. More expensive than the cheaper mavericks. But mavericks are good bang for the buck. I've never had issues

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
All these people recommending youth 20 and 410 are right less recoil but unless you have a lot of shells laying around for 410 won't do you any good having a gun with no ammo. 20 is easier but 12s are readily available anytime.

same if you want to buy a judge. No bullets.
Same with 357. Hard to find

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
One thing you forgot to mention is your daughter's familiarity with handling firearms and budget. With that aside here are a few things to keep in mind off the top of my head.

I would agree a 20 gauge would be best for a young lady over a 12 gauge.
For self defense inside an apartment or house you can find some low brass #6 that will do great for self defense with low recoil.
I have never shot a "tactical" style shotgun that is more reliable or more comfortable to shoot than any hunting / sporting model.
Also a wood stocked shotgun is less likely to draw a lot of attention in a closet or resting in a corner behind a door.
An auto loader will shoot 10 times softer than a pump and heavier means less felt recoil.
A pump action shotgun can be very cumbersome to a shooter that is not accustom to shooting them regularly over an auto.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
One thing you forgot to mention is your daughter's familiarity with handling firearms and budget. With that aside here are a few things to keep in mind off the top of my head.

I would agree a 20 gauge would be best for a young lady over a 12 gauge.
For self defense inside an apartment or house you can find some low brass #6 that will do great for self defense with low recoil.
I have never shot a "tactical" style shotgun that is more reliable or more comfortable to shoot than any hunting / sporting model.
Also a wood stocked shotgun is less likely to draw a lot of attention in a closet or resting in a corner behind a door.
An auto loader will shoot 10 times softer than a pump and heavier means less felt recoil.
A pump action shotgun can be very cumbersome to a shooter that is not accustom to shooting them regularly over an auto.
Practice with anything you get. Too many people lose their lives pulling a gun on someone not knowing how to use it. Find a range that allows shotguns or if you have family in the country go there and shoot often.

Reactions: Car Ramrod.sixpack

Cowdawg

Aug 4, 2021
OT a little. But I watched a documentary of convicted rapist once. There was a guy from Texas that had raped like 13 college age girls. He would break in while they were gone and wait in a closet.

He was caught by a young lady whose dad had told her to always keep a $20 bill on the table next to her back door and front door. If she ever came in and it was gone, to leave immediately and call police.

He took the 20 and was arrested by the cops waiting in her closet.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Just get a Kel-Tec PMR30 22Mag. 30 rounds of fuckaround and find out in one magazine. Fun to shoot too.
A shotgun is the best self-defense weapon for home. Lots of margin for error. She totes a 9MM everywhere she goes, but truthfully, mace is better than a bullet in a hurry. I have looked at some kell-tecs and other "cool" looking guns though.

Reactions: 3000lbchicken

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
First off, put the idea of a shotgun away if you ate going with a long gun. Shotgun spreads do not just fly out in all directions. What will her longest shot be inside her home? Say 20 feet, tops? At that range the pattern of buckshot is going to be 1-2 inches wide at most.

Instead get her and AR-15. With frangible ammo there is minimal risk of over penetration and she can easily mount a light if she prefers.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Not a lot of options for a 20 gauge self defense gun. My fav self defense shotgun is the Kel Tec KS7 but it’s pricey. I bought a SDS 12 ga bullpup shotgun automatic a couple of years ago, less than $300, this thing has impressed me. Feeds everything, recoil is manageable , and it’s compact. It’s an automatic so reduced recoil loads or the mini shells are not an option. The Kel Tec is a pump so the mini shells will function in it. For a young girl the Kel Tec KS7 with mini shells would be the ideal choice.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I would vote for a 12 gauge shotgun in one of the self defense offerings. You can get some low brass dove shells for practice. Recoil will be about the same as regular 20 gauge. Use some high brass shells with 4 or 5 shot for the actual defense loads. Recoil won’t matter in an actual urgent situation. As an alternative, or better yet, in addition, get a couple of canisters of bear spray and put them in strategic locations. That stuff will spray over 20 feet and makes mace look like a gardenia blossom. Very powerful stuff and can actually be fatal on humans in certain situations. We carry bear spray when in grizzly country. Never had to use it but all reports say it is extremely effective. Last time I bought some it was about $40 per canister.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Another non lethal option is the Kimber Pepper Blaster. They are around $35 each or you can buy three for around $90. It’s not an aerosol pepper spray. It’s a double barrel derringer that actually has a pyrotechnic charge that launches a gel wad of pepper stuff so there is no wind affected back spray. My wife carries one and I’ve been known to carry one on occasion. It’s about the size of a pack of cigarettes and weighs next to nothing. Two shots and it’s disposable. Buy the three pack, let her practice with one, carry one, and put the third bedside. It’s a really good option.I bought one for every female in my family last year for Christmas.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Not a lot of options for a 20 gauge self defense gun. My fav self defense shotgun is the Kel Tec KS7 but it’s pricey. I bought a SDS 12 ga bullpup shotgun automatic a couple of years ago, less than $300, this thing has impressed me. Feeds everything, recoil is manageable , and it’s compact. It’s an automatic so reduced recoil loads or the mini shells are not an option. The Kel Tec is a pump so the mini shells will function in it. For a young girl the Kel Tec KS7 with mini shells would be the ideal choice.
I will open a can of worms here. Modern Kel Tecs are are JUNK. I would never put my life in hands of a tool that is held together with M8 screws and nuts. Every one of their guns needs to come with a tube of red loctite.

There I said it.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

eta- this is response to the bodybuild pic and not to the topic. if someone feels a girl need a shotgun to be safe in this world, ok I guess.
just want to clarify so the thread isnt derailed.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login