OT: Self defense shotguns

Lurkingdawg

Jan 10, 2023
If she doesn’t have much experience with firearms, check out the Rossi Circuit Judge. It’s the same thing as the Taurus Judge and shoots .410 and 45 LC but it has a stock and a long barrel. Like the Judge, it’s a cylinder, so it’s point and shoot.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I will open a can of worms here. Modern Kel Tecs are are JUNK. I would never put my life in hands of a tool that is held together with M8 screws and nuts. Every one of their guns needs to come with a tube of red loctite.

There I said it.
I’ll agree that they’re nothing to look at but I’ve had a KSG for probably ten years and it’s been through the wringer and never missed a beat. It’s not in the same league for fit and finish as a Benelli M4 but it’s never failed to go bang. If you break into my house it’s the last thing you will ever see and I have a M4 in the gun safe Quality of Kel Tecs may have lapsed but I’ve tested this one. A pump shotgun is about as bulletproof as you can get.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If she doesn’t have much experience with firearms, check out the Rossi Circuit Judge. It’s the same thing as the Taurus Judge and shoots .410 and 45 LC but it has a stock and a long barrel. Like the Judge, it’s a cylinder, so it’s point and shoot.
Once again for those recommending 410 and 45 long colt. Where you buying ammo at without spending a fortune?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you buy a Taurus and Rossi Judge (I have the Taurus with the long barrel), some .410 shells don't eject well from the cylinder, look for the .410 rounds made specifically for handguns. I haven't looked for .410 in the last year, but was having good luck at the Academy in Flowood prior to that.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Once again for those recommending 410 and 45 long colt. Where you buying ammo at without spending a fortune?
Sportsman’s warehouse in Southaven has had .410 shells everytime I’ve looked. I use it as a snake gun when I’m checking rice fields.

I have a box of 45s. I don’t really shoot them very much.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
If you buy a Taurus and Rossi Judge (I have the Taurus with the long barrel), some .410 shells don't eject well from the cylinder, look for the .410 rounds made specifically for handguns. I haven't looked for .410 in the last year, but was having good luck at the Academy in Flowood prior to that.
What shot/load do you recommend for the 410?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Sportsman’s warehouse in Southaven has had .410 shells everytime I’ve looked. I use it as a snake gun when I’m checking rice fields.

I have a box of 45s. I don’t really shoot them very much.
That's interesting the one near me and all the other ammo places never have 410. None of places around Jackson never have it.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
One thing you forgot to mention is your daughter's familiarity with handling firearms and budget. With that aside here are a few things to keep in mind off the top of my head.

I would agree a 20 gauge would be best for a young lady over a 12 gauge.
For self defense inside an apartment or house you can find some low brass #6 that will do great for self defense with low recoil.
I have never shot a "tactical" style shotgun that is more reliable or more comfortable to shoot than any hunting / sporting model.
Also a wood stocked shotgun is less likely to draw a lot of attention in a closet or resting in a corner behind a door.
An auto loader will shoot 10 times softer than a pump and heavier means less felt recoil.
A pump action shotgun can be very cumbersome to a shooter that is not accustom to shooting them regularly over an auto.
She's hunted all her life. Has shot a 7MM mag too .44 mag pistol. Totes a 9MM . It's the grab and fire a wider pattern I'm looking for.
Jars your nuts into peanut butter.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

eta- this is response to the bodybuild pic and not to the topic. if someone feels a girl need a shotgun to be safe in this world, ok I guess.
just want to clarify so the thread isnt derailed.
Stay out of this thread, seriously. We all know you know nothing about self defense. Some of us prefer to preserve life

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
And why is that.
A Taurus has poor fit and finish, is loaded with MIM parts which are junk and will fail, and are often made with low quality metal on top of that.

Second, the .45 Long Colt is an expensive and hard to find round that will cost more and deter practice.

Third, the .410 buckshot round contains 5 pellets and does not spread much over in home self defense distances. Plus, unless you buy the ammo specifically loaded for the judge type guns contains a slower burning powder, so most of it will combust after the shot has left the bore making it useless.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
An AR pistol would work well. 10.5" barrel with a red dot and flashlight mounted on the rail. 55 gr xm193 ball will not over penetrate like 9mm and buckshot will. The muzzle blast works like a flash bang inside also.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
A Taurus has poor fit and finish, is loaded with MIM parts which are junk and will fail, and are often made with low quality metal on top of that.

Second, the .45 Long Colt is an expensive and hard to find round that will cost more and deter practice.

Third, the .410 buckshot round contains 5 pellets and does not spread much over in home self defense distances. Plus, unless you buy the ammo specifically loaded for the judge type guns contains a slower burning powder, so most of it will combust after the shot has left the bore making it useless.
He wasn't asking for a gun for Jason Bourne. You could do a lot worse than a judge for self-defense.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Just the sound of a pump shotgun jacking one into the chamber is enough to put most people in high gear getting the he## out of Dodge.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
If for defensive purposes, I'd go with a 12 ga. and 00 buckshot. I have a Mossberg 590 and 590M. The first is a 5 round pump and the latter is a semi-auto that can handle a 10 rd. clip. Both are devastating and I keep the pump next to my right leg on long driving trips and for hotel/motel protection. I might get taken down in a car jacking or home intrusion, but I'm taking a bunch of them with me!

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If for defensive purposes, I'd go with a 12 ga. and 00 buckshot. I have a Mossberg 590 and 590M. The first is a 5 round pump and the latter is a semi-auto that can handle a 10 rd. clip. Both are devastating and I keep the pump next to my right leg on long driving trips and for hotel/motel protection. I might get taken down in a car jacking or home intrusion, but I'm taking a bunch of them with me!
One of my favorite guns is a 590 I got off a guy from camp Shelby years ago. Loaded with the right rounds that that thing could blow a hole bigger than a basketball

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I second the recs for either a Mossberg Maverick or a 500/590 12 guage. Mini shells with the OPSol adapter should be easily handy for a smaller person. I have the 500 teched out and the 5'6" wife can handle it fine with the minis. If you're still leery of the 12, Mossberg makes the 500/590 in both 20 and 410 guage.

20200327_201223.jpg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I would not recommend any type of AR unless a person is willing to commit to spending the time upfront to get very familiar with it, including disassembly/reassembly, clearing malfunctions, etc. Additionally a person needs to shoot it a couple times a year with it to maintain proficiency. Add to that the fact one would have to use it likely in low light conditions, in close quarters (possibly with an alarm going off) and with adrenaline pumping.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
How
I would not recommend any type of AR unless a person is willing to commit to spending the time upfront to get very familiar with it, including disassembly/reassembly, clearing malfunctions, etc. Additionally a person needs to shoot it a couple times a year with it to maintain proficiency. Add to that the fact one would have to use it likely in low light conditions, in close quarters (possibly with an alarm going off) and with adrenaline pumping.
How is that different than a shotgun?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
How

How is that different than a shotgun?
Shotguns and revolvers much simpler, less moving parts, less chance of stuff going wrong. But yes you need to be familiar with any weapon you may be called to use. Shotguns and revolvers take much less time (and less recurring training) to become minimally proficient.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
A Taurus is just as likely to co click with a round in the chamber as it is to go boom. It's cheep unreliable crap.
no offense, I realize you're just wanting to argue, but I've put dozens, if not hundreds, of rounds down range on different Taurus platforms and never once had one go "click." Went "boom" every single time.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
no offense, I realize you're just wanting to argue, but I've put dozens, if not hundreds, of rounds down range on different Taurus platforms and never once had one go "click." Went "boom" every single time.
Perhaps you got lucky. But my knowledge of engineering tells me you are not correct about the brand as a whole.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Perhaps you got lucky. But my knowledge of engineering tells me you are not correct about the brand as a whole.
Taurus is not a well thought of brand, but it is serviceable. If I have my pick of firearms, Taurus is down the list, but I have three Taurus revolvers and they've fired every time I've pulled the bang switch.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Taurus is not a well thought of brand, but it is serviceable. If I have my pick of firearms, Taurus is down the list, but I have three Taurus revolvers and they've fired every time I've pulled the bang switch.
Well I have had two Taurus handguns and both have fallen apart or rusted to hell. Meanwhile I have seven Colt revolvers old enough your grandfather may have had one and they are excellent to this day.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I've never had any problems with my Taurus hand guns either. I recently purchased a polymer Judge, but have not fired it....so it is yet to be determined how it holds up. If it delivers the .410 defensive loads as most say it will, it should serve my purpose quite well.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login