OT: Self defense shotguns

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
A shotgun is the best self-defense weapon for home. Lots of margin for error.
Maybe not as much margin as you think depending on load and distance. Plenty of videos out there.
Also depending on loads, a shotgun can certainly penetrate an interior wall.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I gave my daughter a 410 pump and I have her practice regularly and save the hulls so I can reload them. I had some 00 buck for it laid back so no problems but she only practices with whatever shot I have on hand when she comes home. Her husband wanted to get her a pistol as she has shot pistols before, but she felt more comfortable with the shotgun. Practice is key to using a pump action shotgun.

I've got my wife practicing with a double barrel 410 and it couldn't be any easier for a person that isn't as familiar with guns. Don't discount a double barrel 20 gauge or 410, there are a few cheap ones in stock and check every day for ammo and pick up whatever you can find in any brand or shot size and keep the heavy shot for home defense and the lighter for practice.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
no offense, I realize you're just wanting to argue, but I've put dozens, if not hundreds, of rounds down range on different Taurus platforms and never once had one go "click." Went "boom" every single time.
Taurus is notorious for being trash to people in the gun business. Most of the repairs I saw were for Taurus. Their customer service is trash also if you have ever had to deal with them for repairs. Their revolvers are the best thing they do. Their semi autos I would never buy or recommend. Most people that bought those had no experience with guns and bought them because they were cheap and their wasn't a high point in the case to buy. In home defense, pistol is okay but I would always recommend shotguns over a pistol or an AR. Revolvers are great for personal defense because they are ready to roll. So I would recommend a revolver (38 special)?for the purse and shotgun for the home. Can have both for under 800.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Sportsman’s warehouse in Southaven has had .410 shells everytime I’ve looked. I use it as a snake gun when I’m checking rice fields.

I have a box of 45s. I don’t really shoot them very much.
I check sportsman's whse twice a week and even know a guy there and they haven't had any 410 in stock in over 3 months. They have it ordered but none ever comes in.

You probably havent had a need to check in a while, though.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I check sportsman's whse twice a week and even know a guy there and they haven't had any 410 in stock in over 3 months. They have it ordered but none ever comes in.

You probably havent had a need to check in a while, though.
Yeah I buy mine in the spring. It’s hard to find any shotgun shells in the fall.

Sep 18, 2014
Another thing to consider is when loading a shotgun in a high pressure situation, most people will drop more shells than they get in the tube. Might should look for something magazine fed.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Taurus is notorious for being trash to people in the gun business. Most of the repairs I saw were for Taurus. Their customer service is trash also if you have ever had to deal with them for repairs. Their revolvers are the best thing they do. Their semi autos I would never buy or recommend. Most people that bought those had no experience with guns and bought them because they were cheap and their wasn't a high point in the case to buy. In home defense, pistol is okay but I would always recommend shotguns over a pistol or an AR. Revolvers are great for personal defense because they are ready to roll. So I would recommend a revolver (38 special)?for the purse and shotgun for the home. Can have both for under 800.
I only buy Taurus revolvers "off the record" so I've never had a need to deal with customer service. I don't put much money into them so if one malfunctioned I'd likely discard it, but I never had an issue and have owned three (the Judge and two .38s) in fact they held up very well in spite of being second (or more) hand.

Unfortunately, I lost them (and the rest of my firearms) in a tragic boating accident off the coast of Bahrain in the summer of 87. I'm a Hillary supporter now and firearms disgust me.

• Haha
Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I only buy Taurus revolvers "off the record" so I've never had a need to deal with customer service. I don't put much money into them so if one malfunctioned I'd likely discard it, but I never had an issue and have owned three (the Judge and two .38s) in fact they held up very well in spite of being second (or more) hand.

Unfortunately, I lost them (and the rest of my firearms) in a tragic boating accident off the coast of Bahrain in the summer of 87. I'm a Hillary supporter now and firearms disgust me.
I tell people the same.

yeah the revolvers are the best thing they do. I've had a little 38 and 44 mag made by them. They held up fine. I lost them in a fire.

• Haha
Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Taurus revolvers are the only gun I have from them. Got a .357 7-shot revolver and the Judge which of course will shoot either .45's or .410 shot shells. They have held up pretty well so far. Have never had a semi from them. I have a S&W .40 cal and a 9mm. Plus a little Ruger .380 auto as a backup.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Taurus made a pretty good 1911 a few years back but nobody bought them. It sold for around $500 and had all the upgrades that cost you 1200-$1500 on Colt or Springfield or other manufacturer. I shot the crap out of one for a few years but eventually traded it. The only Taurus that I currently own is a 38 revolver loaded with rat shot.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login