OT: Shipping Cost Good News

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The question is if we should continue slowing down the economy via high interest rates. With inflation under 2%, that should be a pretty clear "no", right?
Not sure. I thought flexible average inflation targeting was a good policy, so I think working to keep inflation under 2% for a while to make the average approach 2% would be good. But that's partly based on believing expectations and credibility are important, and now that the fed has already moved away from the FAIT (or I guess maybe more accurately, moved away from what people thought they meant by that), I'm not sure what should be done. I think probably a quarter or two without changes to see if we are actually at or near an equilibrium?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
To be fair, the inflation deniers have turned out to be right for 40 years now.
Well, accurately predicting that inflation will not happen in future is good and should bolster the credibility of those that accurately made those predictions, but I don't think that credibility extends to believing them over actual data from the past. Now that we've actually had a **** ton of inflation, I'm not inclined to believe predictions that we did not.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Whether correct or incorrect, there’s one person in this thread that’s winning. Others appear to be getting foolishly frustrated.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The question was inflation over the last 6 months. If you scroll down your link you get to a table that breaks it down by month over 2022. It comes out to an annualized rate of 1.8% over the last 6 months. 1.8%!
Are you pretending the last 6 months somehow cancels out the last 2 years?

Prices are still abnormally high even given the last 6 months.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Well, accurately predicting that inflation will not happen in future is good and should bolster the credibility of those that accurately made those predictions, but I don't think that credibility extends to believing them over actual data from the past. Now that we've actually had a **** ton of inflation, I'm not inclined to believe predictions that we did not.
Well, this goes to the problem of the English language using the word "inflation" for two very different things: 1) the increase in price of good(s) over time (including due to supply and demand), and 2) the reduction in purchasing power of the currency.

Subbing the proper definition into your sentence we get: "Now that we've actually had a **** ton of increase in price due to supply and demand, I'm not inclined to believe predictions that we did not have a reduction in purchasing power of the currency. "

This isn't entirely right, as there are many factors at play and we can't say we had no reduction in purchasing power of the currency. Bit it's obvious that those saying price changes were due to events affecting supply and demand, not policy, were right. That those events being more pernicious and far reaching in effect than anticipated does not change that events were the driver.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The problem with only looking at that data right now is by all accounts we had a lot more inflationn in the first half of 2022 than the 2nd. We've had virtually no inflation over the last six months. Should we still be working to lower inflation at this point?
You are really really dumb arent you?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Are you pretending the last 6 months somehow cancels out the last 2 years?

Prices are still abnormally high even given the last 6 months.
No, just trying to point out the current situation. Inflation now is not what it was 9-12 months ago. But that runs counter to some narratives....

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Of course there's no inflation. That $5 carton of eggs is just a figment of your imagination.
No inflation. No problems. If you have inflation or problems, it's because of Republicans.

If you need any proof, it's in the garage with my Corvette; I'll get it if I get Hunter to find them. If I can't, it's because of Republicans. Everything wrong is some evil Republican Plot.

I'm not answering any questions... again.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Just remember neither Reps nor Dems evidently knows what "Classified" means and we put them in charge of our economy.

clowns GIF by The 90th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Reactions: mcdawg22

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Just remember neither Reps nor Dems evidently knows what "Classified" means and we put them in charge of our economy.

clowns GIF by The 90th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
Just like the 80 year olds making decisions about net neutrality and other hugely impactful tech decisions. They’ll get those series of tubes figured out.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
No, just trying to point out the current situation. Inflation now is not what it was 9-12 months ago. But that runs counter to some narratives....
I don't think anyone is saying that prices haven't come down. We are saying they are still high as giraffe V A gi N A and terrible policies have helped contribute to that.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Well, this goes to the problem of the English language using the word "inflation" for two very different things: 1) the increase in price of good(s) over time (including due to supply and demand), and 2) the reduction in purchasing power of the currency.

Subbing the proper definition into your sentence we get: "Now that we've actually had a **** ton of increase in price due to supply and demand, I'm not inclined to believe predictions that we did not have a reduction in purchasing power of the currency. "

This isn't entirely right, as there are many factors at play and we can't say we had no reduction in purchasing power of the currency. Bit it's obvious that those saying price changes were due to events affecting supply and demand, not policy, were right. That those events being more pernicious and far reaching in effect than anticipated does not change that events were the driver.
We didn't have productive capacity drop 13%. We did suffer some nasty effects from dumbasses shutting down the economy all over the globe, but mainly we just created tons of money. That's what the data shows and what is obvious. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MANMM101USA189S

There hasn't been anything that would reduce M2 or M3 enough to avoid serious inflation despite the increase in M1. M2 and M3 have been slowly declining since spring 2022, but that doesn't undo the damage.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
The unregulated market profiteering is the problem. Markets are not some magical force that will give the best result by rule of nature.

The argument between you and cantdoitsal is actually the problem. No one has a damn clue how to meet in the middle anymore. Your identities are blurring your common sense.

MARKETS BAD!!!! Booooooo. More gubmint.

NO MARKETS GOOD!!!! Kill them rulz!!!

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
We didn't have productive capacity drop 13%. We did suffer some nasty effects from dumbasses shutting down the economy all over the globe, but mainly we just created tons of money. That's what the data shows and what is obvious. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MANMM101USA189S

There hasn't been anything that would reduce M2 or M3 enough to avoid serious inflation despite the increase in M1. M2 and M3 have been slowly declining since spring 2022, but that doesn't undo the damage.
And no one is saying that inflation didn't happen. It absolutely did and is still happening, but the alternative actions at the time were not advisable given what we knew at the time.

We did in fact have a production drop, due to other countries having a production of raw materials drop as well. Even when our economy got up and running as newer and newer information was learned about Covid and vaccinations were readily available, we were still at a severe supply shortage because we make very few things in this country without relying on other countries for the parts and pieces.

If one thing came out of Covid that will help the US in the future, is to have a better control on your supply chain for items.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
The argument between you and cantdoitsal is actually the problem. No one has a damn clue how to meet in the middle anymore. Your identities are blurring your common sense.

Markets are great, but greed does screw some people.
If you don't have months and months to study the market, your best opportunity is to stick with index funds that track the overall economy. You can buy QQQM or SPFFX right now and track almost the entire market in a highly diversified way.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

And yet, without doing anything to reduce M2 or M3 "enough"....the inflation went away? It's almost as if.....M2 nor M3 increases were the cause of the inflation!

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Your assumptions about me are not valid.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Have a drink bub, gonna be in a quagmire for quite a while both sides love to point fingers, love to argue, and are always right. NAA - Never - Admit - Anything.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
What about that post warrants that response?
You suggested we shouldn’t be working to lower inflation bc it wasn’t has high as it was 6 months ago. That’s dumb. It’s still super high.

You later said “inflation went away”. Inflation hasn’t gone away. It’s high. Just not as high as yesterday.

I can keep going?

Pics on hunters laptop were fake?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Lol, and of course your claim is wrong too. Keep it up, you're a hoot!

What a WEAK "Fact Check". He said it dude. Own it.

"The North Pole will be ice-free in the summer by 2013 because of man-made global warming,” a quote attributed to Gore in a social media post reads (here).

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I normally don’t pay attention to them but I need my two fried eggs every morning with my coffee**
It’s funny you say that. I don’t mean to make light of a staple that some people may depend on, but the eggs thing has been comical to me from the sources that complain to me about it. Apparently everyone is either Rocky Balboa or own a Waffle House because clearly they are going through 100 eggs a week. People that drink $4 Starbucks coffee multiple times a day are somehow going into debt because they are paying .80 a day on eggs vs .40 two months ago.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You suggested we shouldn’t be working to lower inflation bc it wasn’t has high as it was 6 months ago. That’s dumb. It’s still super high.

You later said “inflation went away”. Inflation hasn’t gone away. It’s high. Just not as high as yesterday.

I can keep going?

Pics on hunters laptop were fake?
It's not still super high. That's the point. That you missed.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
What a WEAK "Fact Check". He said it dude. Own it.

"The North Pole will be ice-free in the summer by 2013 because of man-made global warming,” a quote attributed to Gore in a social media post reads (here).
I'll own exactly what he said. Unlike you.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Al Gore; Boom's Hero.

The fact check is telling you you're wrong bro. Take the L. You're embarrassing yourself.

"While he did say something similar, the claim misrepresents his statement, which was attributed to researchers. Gore has also since cited other predictions of Arctic ice melting at a later date."

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It's not still super high. That's the point. That you missed.
Gas is up over 11% annually since December 19
Eggs up well over 30% annually since December 19
CPI is triple what it normally is.

Specifically which items aren’t high right now?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And yet, without doing anything to reduce M2 or M3 "enough"....the inflation went away? It's almost as if.....M2 nor M3 increases were the cause of the inflation!
If you think the fed raising raising the target fed fund rate 3 percentage points in 6 months is nothing, then yes.
But of course M2 and M3 “caused” the inflation. That’s what inflation is. Too much money chasing too few goods. We inflated M1 and nothing counteracted it, and inflation slowed right after M3 peaked and started to shrink.

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The fact check is telling you you're wrong bro. Take the L. You're embarrassing yourself.

"While he did say something similar, the claim misrepresents his statement, which was attributed to researchers. Gore has also since cited other predictions of Arctic ice melting at a later date."
"While he did say something similar"..... Hmmmm care to define "similar" here? Oh, but wait, it was attributed to researchers? Is Gore responsible for the BS or are the researchers? So Gore also said "later dates"; so it's okay if he justs plugs in any year he chooses at any given time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login