The Wire
Ozark
Manhunt
Mind Hunter
Treason
Bosch

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Mythic Quest is good. Kind of up and down and switches at time from crude comedy to relatively serious, but mostly good for a couple of seasons. I'd put it behind Silicon Valley, but it kind of reminds me of Silicon Valley.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Football is nearly over and we all need something to watch until baseball gets to SEC play. Every so often we’ll have someone come and ask what they should watch and we all say Sopranos, Breaking Bad, GoT, etc. What show/miniseries/documentary should I start that isn’t super mainstream. If someone started this thread my response would be Penny Dreadful or Sharp Objects. What’s yours.
Best shows I've seen recently, in no particular order:

• Ghosts, the original BBC version. First three seasons are on HBO Max. Hopefully season four lands there soon. The American version on CBS is good, too. It's a nice, lightweight comedy.
  • Severance - Apple TV. Maybe my favorite show of the last year.
  • Bad Sisters - Apple TV. Great murder mystery that's told non-linearally.
  • Mare of Easttown - HBO Max. I don't watch a lot of gritty, real-world stuff but this was excellent.
  • Poker Face - Peacock. I started a thread on this the other day but it's a throwback to the 70s/80s mystery of the week shows like Murder, She Wrote or Columbo.
  • Only Murders in the Building - Hulu. Mystery/comedy that's maybe my second favorite show I've seen recently.
  • Derry Girls - Netflix. Comedy set in 1990s Ireland. Laugh out loud funny. IMO, Sister Michael is one of the greatest characters in television history.
  • Russian Doll - Netflix. The first season is a little trippy but really, really good.
  • Fargo - Hulu. TV series that's connected to the movie in name only. I've only seen the first two seasons but they were both fantastic.
  • Ted Lasso - Apple TV. I think everybody knows about this one by now but if you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth watching.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Most recent ones I've watched were:

Goliath-Billy Bob Thornton as a drunk but brilliant attorney that takes on cases that shouldn't be taken on

Bosch- I'm not usually a cop show watcher but this one is good. Set in L.A. Homicide division, Bosch is a relentless cop that will do most anything to arrest and convict. Heavy emphasis on Jazz music, almost episode has it playing in the background and Bosch is a big fan of it. There's a whole series of books out and now a spin off called Bosch Legacy is out, its Bosch's daughter Maddie as a new cop and Bosch himself as a retired cop now a Private I

Black Sails- Set in early 1700's Carribean Islands lots of rum running, Spanish treasure, ship battles w/ pirates, Spaniards, and English. Probably my favorite of the 3 I've discussed.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Didn't care for it. It insists upon itself.
Well Done Congrats GIF by America's Got Talent

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Fauda on Netflix is great. So is The Last Kingdom. Bosch is really good. The Wire is great. Will finished Justified and move on to Deadwood.

Reactions: Beretta.sixpack

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Football is nearly over and we all need something to watch until baseball gets to SEC play. Every so often we’ll have someone come and ask what they should watch and we all say Sopranos, Breaking Bad, GoT, etc. What show/miniseries/documentary should I start that isn’t super mainstream. If someone started this thread my response would be Penny Dreadful or Sharp Objects. What’s yours.
Fauda,, about the Israel/Hezbollah conflict. Fauda means riot.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Ted Lasso on Apple TV is excellent. Watch it once without the subtitles on and then turn them on to catch all the stuff you missed.

I constantly was backing it up laughing and saying what the hell did he just say??

Season 3 coming out soon.
I've said this before, but if you liked Ted Lasso, you need to watch Welcome to Wrexham. Docuseries about a Welsh soccer club, which I know sounds thrilling... but it's well worth the watch. Season 1 just ended in the fall, so you can catch up easily before Season 2 comes out later this year.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
The Terminal List

Watched Reacher, then Terminal List, then all 3 seasons of Jack Ryan. The Terminal list may be the one I am most anticipating for the next season. Heard this week, there is a season 2 in the works and then a prequel.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
The Terminal List

Watched Reacher, then Terminal List, then all 3 seasons of Jack Ryan. The Terminal list may be the one I am most anticipating for the next season. Heard this week, there is a season 2 in the works and then a prequel.
I've read all of the books. They have a lot of great source material to go off of. Curious to see which one they go far. I read in the past that Chris Pratt wasn't going to do long shoots that require him being away from his family anymore, so shooting series like the terminal list would make it difficult, seeing as a lot of the books take place out of the country and may not be easy to replicate that type of setting in a location close to home.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
I've read all of the books. They have a lot of great source material to go off of. Curious to see which one they go far. I read in the past that Chris Pratt wasn't going to do long shoots that require him being away from his family anymore, so shooting series like the terminal list would make it difficult, seeing as a lot of the books take place out of the country and may not be easy to replicate that type of setting in a location close to home.
I haven't read the books - but the 2nd book True Believer is the basis for season 2. And the prequel series is supposed to focus more on Taylor Kitsch's character Ben Edwards

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Just binging old network shows right now. From the 70's: Mission Impossible. From the 80's: Crime Story and Tour of Duty.

Jrobb

May 26, 2020
Hell on wheels

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Halfway through Inside Man. I’m not being racist but, the American people are awesome. I love the dialogue and characters even though you should despise them, but the British people are completely scattered, make absurdly dumb decisions, and genuinely are not like-able. Maybe it’s the Irish in me.
It’s done by one the Sherlock guys and you can see some similarities. That being said Sherlock is a great watch.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I personally don't even care for Yellowstone that much but I thought 1883 was a great show.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Killing Eve - Hulu (although the last season wasn't good)
Halt and Catch Fire - was on Netflix, I think it's on Pluto and AMC+ now

Some off the radar comedies:
Norsemen - Netflix
What We Do in the Shadows - Hulu
Wellington Paranormal - HBO Max

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Killing Eve - Hulu (although the last season wasn't good)
Halt and Catch Fire - was on Netflix, I think it's on Pluto and AMC+ now

Some off the radar comedies:
Norsemen - Netflix
What We Do in the Shadows - Hulu
Wellington Paranormal - HBO Max
Norsemen was hilarious. Definitely not your usual "Viking" show.

What We Do In The Shadows...loved the movie, is the series as funny?

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Norsemen was hilarious. Definitely not your usual "Viking" show.

What We Do In The Shadows...loved the movie, is the series as funny?
The series is the funniest show on television. I actually haven't seen the movie, need to make time to watch it.

Reactions: msstatelp1
Sep 17, 2012
I'll put a plug in for Andor on Disney. About the beginning of the rebellion in Star Wars, but you don't have to care about Star Wars to like it.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The series is the funniest show on television. I actually haven't seen the movie, need to make time to watch it.
I agree it is hilarious. I’ve seen the movie too and it is funny but I think the series is better because all five main characters are great. My personal favorite is Colin Robinson, but if I get Nandor’s wedding song stuck in my head I’ll chuckle for a while.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I had never seen it, so over the last month or so, I streamed all the episodes of Cobra Kai. It's cheesy and hokey, but it's fun from a nostalgia standpoint.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I had never seen it, so over the last month or so, I streamed all the episodes of Cobra Kai. It's cheesy and hokey, but it's fun from a nostalgia standpoint.
It’s probably my favorite show out right now. It was better at the beginning when Johnny was more non-pc. He still is, but he was much better in the beginning

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login