OT - SixPack Hot Takes

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It’s a slow time of the year, so how about some good ol’ hot takes?

I’ll start

Entertainment - Most Coen Bros movies completely suck. Yes, including No Country for Old Men and O Brother

Music - Van Halen, really not that great. At all

Sports - Emmett Smith may be the most overrated player in the history of the game. An above average RB behind one of the greatest OLs of all time

Food/Drink - People that eat oysters, WTF is wrong with you?

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Entertainment- Tarantino overrated. Fincher is so much better

Music- Every song played at Dudy Noble field is bad and kills the atmosphere

Sports- Michael Jordan is a bald, degenerate gambler who got his dad killed. He is also miles behind LeBron and Kareem on the all time list

Food- Two Brothers has fallen off dramatically since they moved to the new restaurant

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Entertainment
For 17s sake stop with the movie remakes and sequels. Nothing is original anymore

Music
Not a huge fan of Luke Combs, but his cover of Fast Car is spot on

Sports
Women’s Lacrosse is the bomb.

Food
Chick fil A service is industry leading. The food is not.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Entertainment - Hollywood is completely void of original ideas and has been for some time. Everything that is original sucks nowadays because writers suck.

Music - Lady Gaga is one of the most talented pure musicians in history. Her chosen genre and the over sexualization are gross. She went to Juliard and sold out to the industry. But she is ultra talented.

Sports - Within 25 years, Mississippi State will not be playing college football at the highest level.

Food/Drink - Cooking is a talent that most everyone can excel in with the proper tools and ingredients. Most people go cheap on tools and ingredients and they think they can't cook.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Entertainment - Robert Duvall is hands down the best actor since sound in movies.

Music - Stevie Ray Vaughan is the best electric guitarist by a huge margin. It's not even close who is two.

Sports - Hockey players are the best athletes in professional sports. They have to excel in more sports skills for their sport that any other game.

Food - Umberto's Sicilian Pizza is the best pizza on the planet. And again, not even a close number 2.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Well that's interesting.
The direction that college sports is heading is concerning. My theory is that the late 2020s/early 2030s TV contract negotiations will be the beginning of two super conferences. By the next contract negotiation, there will be pressure to dump the small market, non-traditional power teams. Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, LSU and possibly Auburn will be the original SEC teams that are playing at the highest level.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Entertainment: If you are older than 12 and going to Super Hero movies, you need a new hobby. If you are of the same age and watch Anime, you need a new life.

Music: If it was made after 1990, I don't listen to it

Sports: NIL and transfers will continue to degrade college sports and attendance will continue to fall drastically

Food: Please quit rallying for more white meat chicken joints, there's already plenty of that dry arse tasteless crap around already

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Here's one. I haven't found a single Netflix/Amazon/Disney recommendation here that I see as good. Some really wild tastes on here that I have nothing in common with lol.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The direction that college sports is heading is concerning. My theory is that the late 2020s/early 2030s TV contract negotiations will be the beginning of two super conferences. By the next contract negotiation, there will be pressure to dump the small market, non-traditional power teams. Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, LSU and possibly Auburn will be the original SEC teams that are playing at the highest level.
I've thought about that too. However, I try to stay in the middle and go off the extremes. I do think what you're saying may happen eventually, but that'll be a long time - like 50 years. I think before that happens we will get maybe 4 super conferences rather than just 2. I don't think the foundations of the Pac-whatever or the ACC will go away. The Big 12 probably will. They've already messed up by taking some middling teams.

Really seems like it depends on the future of ACC/Notre Dame, plus the merger of Pac/Big 12.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

I’ll start

Entertainment - Most Coen Bros movies completely suck. Yes, including No Country for Old Men and O Brother

Sports - Emmett Smith may be the most overrated player in the history of the game. An above average RB behind one of the greatest OLs of all time

I always thought I liked you, but it turns out you are a millennial huh? Nobody who is old enough to appreciate Fargo, The Big Lebowski, the Hot for Teacher video, and Emmitt running behind the early 90's & early 00's lines would ever blaspheme in such a way. And oysters put hair on your chest and lead in your pecker.

Entertainment- All video games are for dweebs or children under 14

Music - The Beatles

Sports - The entire sport of soccer

Food - Conecuh sausage

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Entertainment - Our hot takes will be seen as cold by everyone else younger than us since we're not in the target audience.

Music - Ditto

Oh let's cue this gif...

GIF by Giphy QA

Sports - I'm with @The Peeper

Sports: NIL and transfers will continue to degrade college sports and attendance will continue to fall drastically

Food/Drink - I *really* want to take part in a Robert St. John tour of Italy or Spain. I've never been to Italy-- but have been to Spain. I'd go back just to eat.

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
Entertainment - I've never liked Star Trek. Star Wars is a different matter.

Music - I don't like U2, Pink Floyd, Sting/The Police, ELO, the Talking Heads

Sports - I've tried to like soccer. I don't. Ted Lasso is a good show though.

Food/Drink - Black licorice and anything resembling the flavor of black licorice should be banished from the earth.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Entertainment- Star Wars sucks along with pretty much all sci fi movies.

Music- Dead and Company and WSP along with all other hippie bands are awful.

Sports- Australian rules football is addictive and soccer still blows. In the words of Hank Hill "Bobby soccer was invented for European ladies to do while their husbands did the cooking".

Food- Pretty much any BBQ made at a restaurant is terrible especially the chain places. BBQ is best from the home cooks that pour love into it and try not to make it as cheaply as possible.

One Special Category just for the Devil- I am not a bad guy despite what some book or some back row Baptist might say about me.

Last edited:

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
My music hot take is that AC/DC is the most overrated musical act in history. They are just awful. Every song sounds exactly the same and it’s terrible.

Sports - I’m not impressed by coaches (like Saban) who win year after year primarily because they have the most talented rosters.

Food - Eat your steak however you want to eat your steak. But more importantly, let other people eat their steak however they want to eat their steak, even if it’s well done and covered in ketchup.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I always thought I liked you, but it turns out you are a millennial huh? Nobody who is old enough to appreciate Fargo, The Big Lebowski, the Hot for Teacher video, and Emmitt running behind the early 90's & early 00's lines would ever blaspheme in such a way. And oysters put hair on your chest and lead in your pecker.

Entertainment- All video games are for dweebs or children under 14

Music - The Beatles

Sports - The entire sport of soccer

Food - Conecuh sausage
If you don’t like the Big Lebowski, I don’t like you. It was the test for my g/f (now wife of 16 years). It consistently applies across all sexes (how many are there now). If you don’t “get it,” then you aren’t intelligent enough to be my friend and/or your sense of humor is not a sense of humor at all.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Never enter into a business relationship with anyone that orders their steak anything more cooked than medium. Medium is pushing it. Same goes for using Heinz 57. They can eat it however they like, but if they aren’t intelligent enough to order it correctly, don’t do business with them.

I learned that from my dad and I did not listen initially. It has proven to be true. Before a partnership is formed, go to a nice steak restaurant with them.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011

I’ll start

All movies have some entertainment value, some are better than others but you shouldn’t start watching a movie with a preconceived notion. Just enjoy it as an escape from reality.
Van Hager was far superior to Van Halen. EVH was a great guitarist but the band was very mediocre and one dimensional.
Being in the right place at the right time is just part of what makes a player great. Football is a team sport but we try to individualize players accomplishments
because they are good, raw, baked, grilled, fried, you name it.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Entertainment - Avatar movies are stupid and a waste of money

Music - Van Halen and AC/DC used the same music to make 60 songs between them.

Sports - Eli Manning may be the most overrated player in the history of the game. An average QB behind one of the great OL

Food/Drink - People that eat oysters should rule the country. People that love green peas need their heads examined. There is no reason for something green to be sweet.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Never enter into a business relationship with anyone that orders their steak anything more cooked than medium. Medium is pushing it. Same goes for using Heinz 57. They can eat it however they like, but if they aren’t intelligent enough to order it correctly, don’t do business with them.

I learned that from my dad and I did not listen initially. It has proven to be true. Before a partnership is formed, go to a nice steak restaurant with them.
Again to quote from the prophet Hank Hill after Bobby asks him what to do if someone orders their steak well done. "Well son, we ask them politely yet firmly to leave".

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Entertainment - Rocky I - IV and Rocky Balboa are five of the best movies ever made. Oh, and real men don't play Facebook.

Music - I understand what Elvis did for rock & roll but I just don't get all the hype for his music.

Sports - Professional sports salaries are ridiculous. Someone needs to investigate to determine the primary funding. Is it ticket sales? If so, ok, that's just supply and demand and, if we're stupid enough to pay, the salaries are justified. But, if it's primarily TV revenues because advertisers can write off their advertising expenses, end this write off, cut salaries, and reduce everyone's taxes.

Food - I get a kick out of some of y'all's game day menus--Taco Bell and pizza are my go-to's.

stand up comedy GIF

patdog

May 28, 2007
My music hot take is that AC/DC is the most overrated musical act in history. They are just awful. Every song sounds exactly the same and it’s terrible.
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” ―Angus Young (AC/DC)

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Shakespeare is garbage. Yes yes the Bard was a genius far ahead of his time. But that time is not this time. Language has evolved and his themes have been copied and retooled a million times by now. That stuff is unreadable today.

MLB's pitch clock is the most revolutionary rule change for a major sport since the 3 pointer.

Full auto driving will never happen in our lifetimes. (This is not a take, this is the truth.) Decades from now this will look like Back to the Futures prediction of flying cars.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010

I’ll start

Food- Redfish is not great gulf fish. I’m an avid fisherman whose favorite fish to target is reds. I eat them regularly. I know how to prepare them very well. All that said, if you go to a restaurant with any other options like snapper, grouper, flounder, blackfish, etc… and you pick redfish, you need your head examined. It’s not a mild, flaky, or buttery fish. It was known as a trash fish for basically ever until Paul Prudhomme made the blackened preparation famous.

Entertainment- Live music at restaurants sucks 99% of the time. Fine at bars but restaurants… terrible idea

Sports- The best sport on earth right now is MMA & it started post covid. I’ll also throw in that the CFB product live absolutely sucks compared to the NFL.

Music- Hair metal is the worst era of rock & we all owe grunge a toast of appreciation for taking it out. A few good party songs (GNR)
but overall it sucks.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Entertainment - CGI has ruined action movies. Stunts are so over the top, it's gotten stupid. Real, live stunts (don't well) were 10x better.

Music - Top 5 Rock Bands 1. Van Halen (not Van Hagar) 2. Led Zepplin 3. GN'R 4. ACDC 5. - just too many great bands vying for the last spot (Rush, LS, Allman Brothers, Aerosmith, Foreigner, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, the list goes on and on) .

Sports - Wilt Chamberlin allegedly banged 20k women

Food/Drink - I love beignets, but they are overrated. Crawdads are not near worth the trouble, the idea is much better than the result

Advice - The best advice my grandpappy every gave me, "if she'll smoke, she'll poke." It's never been wrong.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

I’ll start

Entertainment - the movie industry will become non-existent when the dollar crashes and we become Venezuela.

Music - the music industry will become non-existent when the dollar crashes and we become Venezuela.

Sports - the sports industry will become non-existent when the dollar crashes and we become Venezuela.

Food/Drink - food from bread lines and cheese lines, washed down with contaminated water will be the norm when the dollar crashes and we become Venezuela.

Joe Biden Veep GIF by GIPHY News

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Entertainment - Robert Duvall is hands down the best actor since sound in movies.

Music - Stevie Ray Vaughan is the best electric guitarist by a huge margin. It's not even close who is two.

Sports - Hockey players are the best athletes in professional sports. They have to excel in more sports skills for their sport that any other game.

Food - Umberto's Sicilian Pizza is the best pizza on the planet. And again, not even a close number 2.
Robert Duvall is my favorite of all time. Captain Augustus Mc crea and Captain Woodrow F. Call in Lonesome Dove are as good as it gets. That mini series played a large part in developing my love for the American West. Robert Redford as Jeremiah Johnson was also fantastic. Jeremiah Johnson is buried in Cody, Wyoming. I have visited his grave site and felt like I was in the presence of one of the great explorers of the Rocky Mountains.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Full auto driving will never happen in our lifetimes. (This is not a take, this is the truth.) Decades from now this will look like Back to the Futures prediction of flying cars.
I'm 100% with you.

I've even heard of people saying that the pilot shortage doesn't matter because commercial planes will be pilotless soon. It's crazy what people will believe.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Well that's interesting.
Sadly, I don’t think it will take 25 years and we won’t be the only ones. With the way it’s going, College football as we know it and love it will be over in 10 to 15 years max. We had a good run, but it’s about done.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022

I’ll start

You shut your ***** mouth! :p

Reactions: drexeldog23

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Entertainment - I'm just waiting for the movie production companies to get tired of losing money so they might make a decent movie again instead of pleasing the Twitter crowd and the simpleton movie critics. I think the new rules for the Oscars are ridiculously stupid. Get ready for a movie about every video game ever played. There have been some great movies have been made since the year 2000 just not very many and even fewer Classics

Music - I have not listened to current popular music since about the year 2003. I quit listening to current country music about 10 years ago. I think it's very sad that the Grammys and the CMA's have turned into such a **** fest. Of course you don't actually have to be talented to make music anymore anyway. There has been some great music made it's just not the main stream. Am I really the only person that really misses album covers and their art form that would make a great future thread this summer when we're trying to find some shiiit to do

Sports - I actually tried to watch a few NBA playoff game last night and it was OK but it wasn't greeat. I still can't bring myself to watch a current major league baseball game. It makes me sad to say that I'm looking forward to the upcoming NFL season more than the college football season. College football will be dominated by the same handful of teams while the rest fight for the scraps left. We hope we get a bowl game and that it might be close to home. God help Mississippi State fans if they ever make a major bowl and have to travel outside of the southeast.
Food/Drink - food is absolutely too expensive for what you really get. We've almost quit eating out in favor of making our house payment instead. And have you seen what the restaurants are charging for drinks? I can go to the liquor store and buy a handle for what they trying to charge me for a couple of Mexican martinis.

Politics - I'm really sick of politics dominating our world but I have to predict we'll have a real press conference from President Biden before we make a major bowl game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login