OT - SixPack Hot Takes

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Do you go for the dugout cheerleading or the actual game? I've been to one and it was unwatchable. It was like a going to a cheerleading competition where when your voice needed a break, you went and picked up a softball bat. The dugouts were literally louder than the crowd.
I am definitely not a fan. I put it in the same category as everyone High 10ing everyone on the team in all ladies' college sports after they complete a play or whatever. When I paused on an SEC Gymnastics match it took the team longer to give everyone a High 10 after each routine was completed by the gymnast, than it did for the gymnast to complete the actual routine.

Reactions: Mjoelner

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
US Politics -
The 2003 invasion of Iraq was the biggest foreign policy mistake in American history.

World Politics -
In its current state, China will never come close to challenging the United States and its close allies in terms of overall world power and influence. When your closest allies are the thugs of the world - Russia, North Korea, Iran, and Pakistan, you are and will always be on the wrong side of history.

Travel -

Maybe not travel, but "Mini-Getaway" - for the time, effort, and money the beaches between Perdido Key and Panama City is the best beach trip in the world. The beaches themselves can't be beat, and when you factor in the great food, I will take it over a trip to the Caribbean.

Sports -
Fantasy Sports are dumb.

Food -
I have eaten at top steak restaurants all over the country and have yet to find anything as good as what you get at Ruth's Chris.

ETA - thought of a few more.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Travel -
Maybe not travel, but "Mini-Getaway" - for the time, effort, and money the beaches between Perdido Key and Panama City is the best beach trip in the world. The beaches themselves can't be beat, and when you factor in the great food, I will take it over a trip to the Caribbean.

Robert Redford Nod GIF

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Entertainment - I'm coming in HOT with this one: Traveling is overrated. Create a life you love, take a little vacation along. It's interesting to see how other people live but really it's none of my business. 75% of travel is repackaged vapid consumerism designed to keep up with the Joneses in which the ROI is in no way positive. Going to Gulf Shores/Destin/etc is too damn expensive with too damned many people.

I think traveling and vacation are two separate things, both good, that may or may not overlap. Most vacation hotspots are for going on vacation, not traveling (destin, all inclusives, cruises, ski spots). Traveling to me is actually experiencing some different cultures, even if the experience is relatively superficial.

For traveling, I think it is good for people to see how other people live, at least once. It probably is somewhat overrated because so many people act like it’s some major life changing event, which it probably shouldn’t be if you have a little bit of perspective and read.

For vacation, you’ve got to consider that lots of people live in places that aren’t that great. I’ve spent times in most places in Mississippi and the only place I’d consider not wanting regular vacations are the coast and maybe places close to pickwick. Haven’t spent enough time up there to know.

Food/Drink - Pizza is overrated. French Fries are properly rated. Jersey Mikes is underrated.
Pizza is underrated. I’ll put great pizza and red wine against any high end steak or seafood dish and wine pairing. The “problem” is you can get so much pretty good pizza for cheap, it’s hard to get great pizza outside of pretty large population centers. I still love pretty good pizza, but man I’d love to have ready access to great pizza.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Entertainment- Star Wars sucks along with pretty much all sci fi movies.

Music- Dead and Company and WSP along with all other hippie bands are awful.

Sports- Australian rules football is addictive and soccer still blows. In the words of Hank Hill "Bobby soccer was invented for European ladies to do while their husbands did the cooking".

Food- Pretty much any BBQ made at a restaurant is terrible especially the chain places. BBQ is best from the home cooks that pour love into it and try not to make it as cheaply as possible.

One Special Category just for the Devil- I am not a bad guy despite what some book or some back row Baptist might say about me.
We are all evil. You are just the vehicle that keeps us that way.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Entertainment- Tarantino overrated. Fincher is so much better

Music- Every song played at Dudy Noble field is bad and kills the atmosphere

Sports- Michael Jordan is a bald, degenerate gambler who got his dad killed. He is also miles behind LeBron and Kareem on the all time list

Food- Two Brothers has fallen off dramatically since they moved to the new restaurant
I find 2 Brothers equivalent to Dave’s Darkhorse. Both dumps with over-rated food and waitresses.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
US Politics -
The 2003 invasion of Iraq was the biggest foreign policy mistake in American history.

Lots of competition for this one. Not sure you’re wrong, but was Iraq worse than Afghanistan? Spending lots of American blood in Vietnam without ever trying to crush the enemy?

World Politics -
In its current state, China will never come close to challenging the United States and its close allies in terms of overall world power and influence. When your closest allies are the thugs of the world - Russia, North Korea, Iran, and Pakistan, you are and will always be on the wrong side of history.
Doesn’t have anything to do with being on the wrong side of history in my opinion. China has done a good job of mixing authoritarian govt and industrial policy with just enough economic freedom to make progress. But they doomed themselves with the one child policy. Such an obviously catastrophic move, even without the benefit of hindsight. That’s why it’s so hard to compete with authoritarianism. So many opportunities to make one stupid decision and impose it across an entire country.

Travel -

Not sure about the great food but basically agree. If you are within an easy drive and have the flexibility to go regularly, it’s fantastic.

Sports -
Fantasy Sports are dumb.

Food -
I have eaten at top steak restaurants all over the country and have yet to find anything as good as what you get at Ruth's Chris.

ETA - thought of a few more.
I’m not one to bash on Ruth’s Chris, but I’ve had better, particularly if you get a place with good aged steaks. But it’s done a great job of maintaining good consistency and value as it’s turned into a big chain. Been to many more places worse than better.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
World Politics -
Concur, China is zero military threat to the US or our allies, anyone who says different watches too much FNC. I don't even think they'll try to invade Taiwan. I do wish we'd move more China manufacturing to Mexico though.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Outside of Trump, Rs want to "reach across the isle" and "govern from the middle" when in charge, whereas Ds ram what they want down your throat.
Haha, what now?
States with an all R legislature and gov are pushing some of the most draconian laws that the country has seen this century. There is 0 reaching across the aisle.
I have literally never even heard/read that claim until you just tested it out right here.

Mitch infamously refused to reach across the aisle and work with the left to the point that he forced scotus to be shorthanded for months because he refused to even allow the established democratic process to take place.

Now to be fair, since I am rooted in actual reality and not in your fantasy land, the same issue I pointed out for state legislatures that are all R also exists with states that are all D, like California.

You never fail to make me laugh. Never change, bean.

Reactions: FQDawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Haha, what now?
States with an all R legislature and gov are pushing some of the most draconian laws that the country has seen this century. There is 0 reaching across the aisle.
I have literally never even heard/read that claim until you just tested it out right here.

Mitch infamously refused to reach across the aisle and work with the left to the point that he forced scotus to be shorthanded for months because he refused to even allow the established democratic process to take place.

Now to be fair, since I am rooted in actual reality and not in your fantasy land, the same issue I pointed out for state legislatures that are all R also exists with states that are all D, like California.

You never fail to make me laugh. Never change, bean.
Hey man, meaning more nationally in the US House and Senate and Bush's 41 and 43. That's not a knock against Ds, I admire it.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
One thing i admimre about the Ds is they now how to wield power. Outside of Trump, Rs want to "reach across the isle" and "govern from the middle" when in charge, whereas Ds ram what they want down your throat.
This! When a republican wins an election, he or she is “in office.” When a democrat wins, he/she/it/they are “in power.”

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Music: AC/DC... just no. Other bands that I think are talented, but I just can't get into, like Rush. Christian radio sucks, but there are some good Christian artists out there that most people have never heard of. Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin are two of the best bands ever. U2... I really love a lot of their music, but they can become tiresome quickly.

Movies/TV... yeah, most of it stinks, but I love exposing and/or watching good movies with my sons, including super hero movies, but it's nice getting my oldest to watch the Rocky movies with me.

Books... I love reading, but I love reading to my sons even more.

Children... raising boys is great, but I can already tell raising a daughter is going to be special and she's just over a year old.

Churches/religion... a lot of churches have or are dying out, especially with covid. Very sad to see. We live in a very apathetic and cynical age about everything, but especially when it comes to churches, and especially among younger people. Many Christians up north have given up on churches as they see most churches have sold out to the world. What is needed are churches who start caring for their community, especially across racial and/or economic boundaries. For too long, churches did not need to do that and they could coast along.

Travel/vacation: what is this you speak of?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Concur, China is zero military threat to the US or our allies, anyone who says different watches too much FNC. I don't even think they'll try to invade Taiwan. I do wish we'd move more China manufacturing to Mexico though.
China is zero threat to invade the US, but are a major threat in their region. If they decided to invade Taiwan, it would be very difficult and they would take heavy losses, but we would not be able to do much, and once they actually manage landfall and take over, it's over. Taiwan would not manage a resistance like Ukraine. I am convinced that Chinese espionage has so thoroughly infiltrated our defense contractors, supply chain, and such, that we would be lucky to even get a shot off at them.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
China is zero threat to invade the US, but are a major threat in their region. If they decided to invade Taiwan, it would be very difficult and they would take heavy losses, but we would not be able to do much, and once they actually manage landfall and take over, it's over. Taiwan would not manage a resistance like Ukraine. I am convinced that Chinese espionage has so thoroughly infiltrated our defense contractors, supply chain, and such, that we would be lucky to even get a shot off at them.
I agree and understand. But China depends on the US and west to buy cheap junk made in their factories. Much of their economy depends on it. I just can't see them jeopardizing that and risking boycotts, etc.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Churches/religion... a lot of churches have or are dying out, especially with covid. Very sad to see. We live in a very apathetic and cynical age about everything, but especially when it comes to churches, and especially among younger people. Many Christians up north have given up on churches as they see most churches have sold out to the world. What is needed are churches who start caring for their community, especially across racial and/or economic boundaries. For too long, churches did not need to do that and they could coast along.
I wonder if 50 years from know, historians will look back on COVID and determine if it caused the end of most small to average sized congregations in America? For the most part religion has been dead in Europe for decades. Eventually we will get to a point where there are only a few small, hard core, "Pentecostal" type churches and "feel good" mega churches left.

• Sad
Reactions: preacher_dawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login