OT: Smith County Watermelons

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I used to not be a big watermelon connoisseur but now I have 2 kids that I swear would eat nothing but watermelon, so I eat a lot more of it now days. I normally just buy watermelon at Kroger.

I’ll preface this by saying I didn’t grow up in MS. Driving home from the Florida recently, my wife wants to stop on the side of 49 and buy a smith county watermelon, which is as cool because we had a nice conversation with an old farmer who was a state fan. I kinda figured this was a hype thing and watermelon was watermelon. But damn if that watermelon ain’t the best one I’ve ever had.

Did I just get a good watermelon or are smith county watermelons actually the best?

mparkerfd20

Aug 22, 2012
I used to not be a big watermelon connoisseur but now I have 2 kids that I swear would eat nothing but watermelon, so I eat a lot more of it now days. I normally just buy watermelon at Kroger.

I’ll preface this by saying I didn’t grow up in MS. Driving home from the Florida recently, my wife wants to stop on the side of 49 and buy a smith county watermelon, which is as cool because we had a nice conversation with an old farmer who was a state fan. I kinda figured this was a hype thing and watermelon was watermelon. But damn if that watermelon ain’t the best one I’ve ever had.

Did I just get a good watermelon or are smith county watermelons actually the best?
No they are the best.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

You will not be able to tell the difference. Get whatever one is easiest.

JonJuanQuixote

Jul 31, 2020
Probably a little over-hyped but yeah they are better than your average grocery store watermelon. "Smith" county watermelons are also grown across the county line in Simpson county and are all sold together along highway 49 just the same but both have ideal soil conditions and farmers with experience on when to plant and when to pick.

Dawg Hammer 87

May 6, 2024
i live in central MS and there is no comparison to a Smith county watermelon! My wife and mother-in-law are watermelon lovers and swear by them! Had one Sunday and my mother-in-law said that was the best one she had ever eaten in 80 plus years. I don"t eat them so I have no opinion about them but locals go and buy them by the trailer loads to resale around the 4th. Side hustle!

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Two things.
1. Soil minerals and fertility, local cultural practices and knowledge, climate, and many other factors can all go together to make an ag product better in some places than others and that is the case with watermelons from Smith County.

2. I'd bet that there's a good chance that a large portion of watermelons you see on the side of the road w/ "Smith County Watermelons" on the hand made spray painted sign beside the truck or produce market didn't come from Smith County. Same w/ Chilton County Peaches

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Watermelons are an abomination.

But then it should come as no surprise to y’all that I should think this since I turned in my Southerner card several years ago for this…

View attachment 602289
Haha I don’t remember this but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone else not like banana pudding. Do you hate fried catfish too?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
You will not be able to tell the difference. Get whatever one is easiest.
I’m going to make my wife and kids do a blind taste test. We got a great watermelon but I’m still not convinced it’s actually better. My wife is 100% convinced smith county is the only way to go… but she’s wrong a lot

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019

They didn't start pulling melons until a couple weeks ago. Look for the sticker on them as many put stickers on them now.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’m going to make my wife and kids do a blind taste test. We got a great watermelon but I’m still not convinced it’s actually better. My wife is 100% convinced smith county is the only way to go… but she’s wrong a lot
just like all these fancy bourbons out now, no one can tell the difference. My next door neighbor is a "foodie" he staged a bind taste test of 4 popular bourbons, no one got any right.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Haha I don’t remember this but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone else not like banana pudding. Do you hate fried catfish too?
It was a special Extra edition that was included in a thread on a different subject.

The thread was I think hated foods three years ago or so

I dislike most things that taste like bananas — the main exceptions are banana bread and banana chips.

Answering your question, I do love fried catfish.

Reactions: ronpolk

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Two things.
1. Soil minerals and fertility, local cultural practices and knowledge, climate, and many other factors can all go together to make an ag product better in some places than others and that is the case with watermelons from Smith County.

2. I'd bet that there's a good chance that a large portion of watermelons you see on the side of the road w/ "Smith County Watermelons" on the hand made spray painted sign beside the truck or produce market didn't come from Smith County. Same w/ Chilton County Peaches
what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010

Honorable mention to a Washington parish watermelon.

Jun 7, 2024
Two things.

Yep. There is not enough acreage in Smith County to grow all the watermelons that get advertised as "Smith County Watermelons".

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. There is not enough acreage in Smith County to grow all the watermelons that get advertised as "Smith County Watermelons".
That why you have to drive over to Raleigh to make sure you’re getting the real thing.

I wouldn’t trust the sidewalk clowns on Highway 49. They’ll sell you Sysco ‘gulf’ shrimp in a heartbeat…

That’s just how Miss Sipi rolls.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Smith County has great watermelon. The best I ever had was grown 2 miles south of Mclain. That old farmer died over 30 years ago, but he sold them on the side of old Hwy 98 for years, right beside a gas station. One of my uncles picked for him in the 50's for summer work.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
For those who are into watermelons, go to the weekend Watermelon Festival in Water Valley, MS held annually around this time. But don't go up there bragging about another county's melons.....thems might be fightin' words! It's a fun event though serious.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
That why you have to drive over to Raleigh to make sure you’re getting the real thing.

I wouldn’t trust the sidewalk clowns on Highway 49. They’ll sell you Sysco ‘gulf’ shrimp in a heartbeat…

That’s just how Miss Sipi rolls.

I saw a guy selling "fresh local produce" on the side of 51 in Batesville a couple of years ago that had some pineapples on his table

Sep 21, 2017
For those who are into watermelons, go to the weekend Watermelon Festival in Water Valley, MS held annually around this time. But don't go up there bragging about another county's melons.....thems might be fightin' words! It's a fun event though serious.

Mize has their watermelon festival coming up in a few weeks if you want to try an authentic Smith County watermelon.

Mize Watermelon Festival

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19