OT : things to do in Vicksburg

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Rusty's for lunch. Beechwood for dinner. 10 South is another option for the views.

Stuff to see - Military park. Old Courthouse. Coca-Cola museum. You could literally spend a day in the military park - depends on how deep you want to get into sightseeing.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The Shrimp Po' Boy from Rusty's is the tits. It can get busy with toursits, so be prepared.

If looking for huntin' gear, 601 Sports runs some good sales, also they usually have a few hotties working.

Go across the bride and get a daiquiri.

maroonjones10

Oct 2, 2023
There’s a lot to do and see! The old depot museum is a good place to start! Their diorama of the seige lines will help understand the military park a little better! Rusty’s for lunch! 10 south for dinner! I also recommend the haunted Vicksburg ghost tour, the history of some of the old homes is fascinating.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If you really want to get a real appreciation of just how brilliant Grant's total Vicksburg Campaign was, see if you can get a hold of a copy of the Friends of the Vicksburg Campaign Historic Trail's Driving Tour Guide. Take that thing and trace his movements from the time he crossed the river till he invested Vicksburg. He is loathed in the South, but there is a reason that campaign is still studied by the professional military all over the world. it also takes you some cool southern towns and some pretty country.

Last edited:

maroonjones10

Oct 2, 2023
If you really want to get a real appreciation of just how brilliant Grant's total Vicksburg Campaign was, see if you can get a hold of a copy of the Friends of the Vicksburg Campaign Historic Trail's Driving Tour Guide. Take that thing and trace his movements from the time he crossed the river till he invested Vicksburg. He is loathed in the South, but there is a reason that campaign is still studied by the professional military all over the world.
I also recommend buying the book series by Dr. Tim Smith! He’s one of the best civil war historians and author.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
If you really want to get a real appreciation of just how brilliant Grant's total Vicksburg Campaign was, see if you can get a hold of a copy of the Friends of the Vicksburg Campaign Historic Trail's Driving Tour Guide. Take that thing and trace his movements from the time he crossed the river till he invested Vicksburg. He is loathed in the South, but there is a reason that campaign is still studied by the professional military all over the world. it also takes you some cool southern towns and some pretty country.
He was definitely persistent and didn’t allow all of his failed attempts stop him.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He was definitely persistent and didn’t allow all of his failed attempts stop him.
Yep. That is also why the Romans during their RISE were so formidable. You could beat them multiple times, but if they beat you ONCE, you were done, and they NEVER quit. A good general, or coach, recognizes what advantages he holds, and presses them. That may sound simple, but it's FAR from it.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Key City is good too. Forgot that. I just love Beechwood. Good ol country steakhouse.

Key City is good too. Forgot that. I just love Beechwood. Good ol country steakhouse.
Rusty's for lunch. Beechwood for dinner. 10 South is another option for the views.

Stuff to see - Military park. Old Courthouse. Coca-Cola museum. You could literally spend a day in the military park - depends on how deep you want to get into sightseeing.
Hard to argue with any of the reco's here/in the thread. Eating wise I'd go Rusty's for best food or 10 South for unique setting and wonder if Beechwood is more nostalgic for former locals? That place hasn't changed since I moved to the RCC in 1971 except for the addition of the "disco" (now music venue) in the late 70's. Sort of a redneck Studio 54 based on what I saw go down in there back when. Now it's like if you put a smaller version of Rick's on the back of Old Hickory. My wife and I actually met our old SVHS English teacher there for dinner 4 or 5 years ago and agree, still just a good ol country steakhouse.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Yep. That is also why the Romans during their RISE were so formidable. You could beat them multiple times, but if they beat you ONCE, you were done, and they NEVER quit. A good general, or coach, recognizes what advantages he holds, and presses them. That may sound simple, but it's FAR from it.
I didn’t mean it as a slight to Grant. His persistence and willingness to take chances is what made the difference in the siege.

I don’t want to highjack this any further but I just got back from Gettysburg but holy **** what happened there at the exact time as the siege of Vicksburg.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Oh yeah, the Civil War was absolutely titanic. It STILL our bloodiest war, and we did it to each other with muzzle loading muskets and muzzle loading artillery. The Japanese and the Germans didn't kill as many Americans with airplanes, tanks, battleships, aircraft carriers, machine guns, and modern quick firing artillery. Our current adversaries should take note of THAT. Pissed off Americans, and its actually really hard to piss us off as a nation, are a FORCE. I've been to Gettysburg three times. There are two MAJOR chill up the spine places there for me. One is at the Virginia Monument which is at the center of the step off for Pickett's Charge. Looking across that mile of open ground, just DAMN. How did they get them to even attempt it? The other is at Little Round Top where the 20th Maine essentially kept the Union from losing the battle on the second day. UNREAL. NEVER sell Americans, of ANY generation, short in battle.

maroonjones10

Oct 2, 2023
Oh yeah, the Civil War was absolutely titanic. It STILL our bloodiest war, and we did it to each other with muzzle loading muskets and muzzle loading artillery. The Japanese and the Germans didn't kill as many Americans with airplanes, tanks, battleships, aircraft carriers, machine guns, and modern quick firing artillery. Our current adversaries should take note of THAT. Pissed off Americans, and it’s actually really hard to piss us off as a nation, are a FORCE. I've been to Gettysburg three times. There are two MAJOR chill up the spine places there for me. One is at the Virginia Monument which is at the center of the step off for Pickett's Charge. Looking across that mile of open ground, just DAMN. How did they get them to even attempt it? The other is at Little Round Top where the 20th Maine essentially kept the Union from losing the battle on the second day. UNREAL. NEVER sell Americans, of ANY generation, short in battle.
The confederate charge at Franklin was worse. There they marched over 2 miles of open ground with little to none of artillery support. One of the saddest scenes of the whole war.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Hawaiian chicken sandwiche at Rusty's.
Rooftop 10 south. Chicken sandwich is awesome. Taste like the honey chicken they used to have at Roca. And pretzels are awesome. Great view.
Key city has great pizza patty melt and locally brewed beer. i traveled their recently and had the Prost! Can recommend.

Biscuits at the biscuit company if you can stand smoke.

If you like ****** vinegar bbq Goldie's is for you.

gumbo spot is good for Cajun style food.

river museum. Coke museum. Military park.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The confederate charge at Franklin was worse. There they marched over 2 miles of open ground with little to none of artillery support. One of the saddest scenes of the whole war.
I had a Great Great Grandfather in that one, the 15th Mississippi, look them up, THE worst of it all. He survived, I'm the evidence. The Confederate Right Flank at Franklin is another one of those spots for me. The Lord preserved ole Moses. He didn't preserve so many there.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login