OT : things to do in Vicksburg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Never, ever, 17in ever, get a shrimp po boy at a place that’s in a county NOT on the water.
Gonna disagree. Buc-ee's shrimp po boys are pretty dámn good. Maybe not as good as all the places that are in a county that touches the water, but really good for most people since they don't get to live 20 miles or less from the gulf where the only real po boy's are made..

They heat that frozen breaded Gordon's shrimp in the microwave just right. Rubber pickles come from Sysco, but they do give you just the right amount. They make that remoulade in house too, 50/50 ketchup and mayo. And that baguette cooks up just right under the heat lamp.

You can even buy the shrimps in a bag at the checkout stand.

1000011638.png

was21

May 29, 2007
Gonna disagree. Buc-ee's shrimp po boys are pretty dámn good. Maybe not as good as all the places that are in a county that touches the water, but really good for most people since they don't get to live 20 miles or less from the gulf where the only real po boy's are made..

They heat that frozen breaded Gordon's shrimp in the microwave just right. Rubber pickles come from Sysco, but they do give you just the right amount. They make that remoulade in house too, 50/50 ketchup and mayo. And that baguette cooks up just right under the heat lamp.

View attachment 427777

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The confederate charge at Franklin was worse. There they marched over 2 miles of open ground with little to none of artillery support. One of the saddest scenes of the whole war.
We were always taught that military leaders learned in the Mexican American war that charging against an artillery line was effective, and kept repeating it in the civil war when the equipment was better. I don't have a lot of faith in my high school history education, particularly with respect to the the war for states rights defending against northern aggression, but that's what we were taught.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If you really want to get a real appreciation of just how brilliant Grant's total Vicksburg Campaign was, see if you can get a hold of a copy of the Friends of the Vicksburg Campaign Historic Trail's Driving Tour Guide. Take that thing and trace his movements from the time he crossed the river till he invested Vicksburg. He is loathed in the South, but there is a reason that campaign is still studied by the professional military all over the world. it also takes you some cool southern towns and some pretty country.
What would way be cooler to me is to find the rout Loring's Division took when he got cut off at Champion Hill to hook up with Johnston Army. If someone could figure that out. He left artillery, wagons. They only took what they could carry. If you could find their Bivouac areas and do some relic hunting. You would probably find a gold mine of buttons, buckles bayonets and canteens.

Also follow Shermans rout in the Meridian Campaign. Find the bivouac area for his trip. If you could find the Bivouac area of Lt Gen Polk who was commander of the Confederate army that faced Sherman in that campaign, you would probably hit another gold mine. There was one confederate bivouac on East side of Brandon. Find the right creek you would probably find another good stash of stuff. Find the entrenchments in Morton Miss and that would be another. Also, when Sherman crossed the Pearl River to head to Canton, then to Yazoo City and on to Vicksburg he crossed the river at Ratliff Ferry. They were probably bivouac on the other side of the river from that spot that would be another good spot to relic hunt.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
We were always taught that military leaders learned in the Mexican American war that charging against an artillery line was effective, and kept repeating it in the civil war when the equipment was better. I don't have a lot of faith in my high school history education, particularly with respect to the the war for states rights defending against northern aggression, but that's what we were taught.

Very few military leaders are innovators. As Generals they usually go with what they learned as Captains and Lieutenants.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Weren't many choices. No matter where they attack the guns were going to be moved to that spot. Many of the lighter guns could be limbered up and move really fast. So just Pick the weakest spot and go.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I don't have a lot of faith in my high school history education, particularly with respect to the the war for states rights defending against northern aggression, but that's what we were taught.
Bait GIF

maroonjones10

Oct 2, 2023
We’ll most learned their tactics from having graduated from West Point.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Along with all the other fine food establishments being thrown out, I'll nominate Gumbo Pot with Bread Pudding for dessert.

Is that in the strip mall near CFA? If so, I agree!
be warned that the Gumbo Pot isn't the same as it has been. The couple that owned it divorced recently, the husband was the brains behind it and he has now started his own restaurant and left the GP to his ex. He took half the staff with him and opened a new place down on Belmont Street (same street where Martin's was, down past Hometown Medical), I can't think of the name of his new place. Gumbo Pot still serves all the same stuff as it did before but it's not the same as it was...

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
10 South is good for views, good atmosphere, sometimes has live music at night. Their menu is tiny (one chicken dish, one steak dish, one pork chop, etc). but the food is great. Rusty's for seafood for sure. Beechwood is a dump but they still have the best steaks in Vburg.

Others have mentioned it, but Key City Brewery to me is the best place in town. Great food and craft beers, what else do ya need?

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
be warned that the Gumbo Pot isn't the same as it has been. The couple that owned it divorced recently, the husband was the brains behind it and he has now started his own restaurant and left the GP to his ex. He took half the staff with him and opened a new place down on Belmont Street (same street where Martin's was, down past Hometown Medical), I can't think of the name of his new place. Gumbo Pot still serves all the same stuff as it did before but it's not the same as it was...
Well that stinks

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They were using Napoleonic tactics. The thing was the effective range of small arms was around 100 yrds in Napolean's day. Artillery SHELLS weren't in general use then either.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Oh yeah, the Civil War was absolutely titanic. It STILL our bloodiest war, and we did it to each other with muzzle loading muskets and muzzle loading artillery. The Japanese and the Germans didn't kill as many Americans with airplanes, tanks, battleships, aircraft carriers, machine guns, and modern quick firing artillery. Our current adversaries should take note of THAT. Pissed off Americans, and its actually really hard to piss us off as a nation, are a FORCE. I've been to Gettysburg three times. There are two MAJOR chill up the spine places there for me. One is at the Virginia Monument which is at the center of the step off for Pickett's Charge. Looking across that mile of open ground, just DAMN. How did they get them to even attempt it? The other is at Little Round Top where the 20th Maine essentially kept the Union from losing the battle on the second day. UNREAL. NEVER sell Americans, of ANY generation, short in battle.
Have you been to the glorious place where all of Ole Miss was gunned down?

• Haha
Reactions: mcdawg22

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
What would way be cooler to me is to find the rout Loring's Division took when he got cut off at Champion Hill to hook up with Johnston Army. If someone could figure that out. He left artillery, wagons. They only took what they could carry. If you could find their Bivouac areas and do some relic hunting. You would probably find a gold mine of buttons, buckles bayonets and canteens.

Also follow Shermans rout in the Meridian Campaign. Find the bivouac area for his trip. If you could find the Bivouac area of Lt Gen Polk who was commander of the Confederate army that faced Sherman in that campaign, you would probably hit another gold mine. There was one confederate bivouac on East side of Brandon. Find the right creek you would probably find another good stash of stuff. Find the entrenchments in Morton Miss and that would be another. Also, when Sherman crossed the Pearl River to head to Canton, then to Yazoo City and on to Vicksburg he crossed the river at Ratliff Ferry. They were probably bivouac on the other side of the river from that spot that would be another good spot to relic hunt.
AKA COMITTING A FEDERAL CRIME.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

View attachment 427777
You ain’t much, but you are consistent.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Didn’t see it mentioned, but go to the Tomato Place. Well worth the wait.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Don't think so, as long as you're not on some type of government-protected site.
That's correct, as long as you have permission from the land owner. Now don't get caught trying to relic hunt on one of the parks. Even using a metal detector there can get you a long stretch at Leavenworth and a heavy fine.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login