OT - This is wild, MRA parents involved in a brawl!

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Pulaski Academy is scheduled to play at MRA on September 6th.

Even though Pulaski wasn't the team playing MRA in this game, it was at their school with inadequate security. Should be an interesting game.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Pulaski Academy is scheduled to play at MRA on September 6th.

Even though Pulaski wasn't the team playing MRA in this game, it was at their school with inadequate security. Should be an interesting game.
Reading between the lines, other team gets rough, MRA parent(s) get mouthy, parents on the other team don't play that, it quickly gets out of hand. If this is what happened, MRA coach likely should have had some situational awareness, stopped the game, loaded up and left. I can't image a 7 on 7 championship being that coveted.

I have a buddy who was in a similar situation, he coached a rec girls basketball team. An opposing team started paying rough and it was egged on by their coach. My buddy pulled his team off the court and left.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Reading between the lines, other team gets rough, MRA parent(s) get mouthy, parents on the other team don't play that, it quickly gets out of hand. If this is what happened, MRA coach likely should have had some situational awareness, stopped the game, loaded up and left. I can't image a 7 on 7 championship being that coveted.

I have a buddy who was in a similar situation, he coached a rec girls basketball team. An opposing team started paying rough and it was egged on by their coach. My buddy pulled his team off the court and left.
I just looked up Bryant High School and it's a 21 minute drive from Pulaski Academy so yeah, situational awareness would have helped. They're basically playing in their backyard. Keep the mouth shut and crank the bus. According to the article one of the parents has a broken jaw. I hope whatever the guy said was worth it. I imagine there will be a lawsuit or two.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Same scene, over and over. MRA parents should have just gotten out of there. Certain folks are always waiting for a reason to whip your asss and have a lot more anger about it. That's just life.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
How much security should one be required to employ at a summer youth sports event?
As much as needed. Apparently in this case there was not enough. Pulaski Academy owes a responsibility to the people and teams they invite on their property to provide a safe environment. If that's one security guard/police officer or if it's 25 then that's what should be provided.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
As much as needed. Apparently in this case there was not enough. Pulaski Academy owes a responsibility to the people and teams they invite on their property to provide a safe environment. If that's one security guard/police officer or if it's 25 then that's what should be provided.
I get it that there wasn’t enough security to deal with a Wild West brawl… I’m just saying, should Pulaski really have the forethought to have SWAT on site to deal with a 7 on 7 tournament?

Has society devolved to the point that we need armed federales to keep the peace when we watch our kids play sports?

It’s tough for me to blame Pulaski here.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The home team should provide as much security as necessary to provide a reasonably safe environment for everyone.

Any game (for any sport) that is getting out of hand should be stopped and everyone sent home. Call the police, if necessary.
I cannot imagine anyone hosting an event anything similar to this where you would anticipate the need to diffuse something like this. That level of security required would also pretty much shut down any youth/HS events of any sort.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I get it that there wasn’t enough security to deal with a Wild West brawl… I’m just saying, should Pulaski really have the forethought to have SWAT on site to deal with a 7 on 7 tournament?

Has society devolved to the point that we need armed federales to keep the peace when we watch our kids play sports?

It kinda has, when you have mobs of folks that run around looking for any reason to whip some folks assses. And these are adults.

Sports culture creates a breeding ground for it, too.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

No one is calling for SWAT but you need to have enough of a security presence to make people think twice before acting a fool.

Grandslam baseball sends out an email prior to each of their baseball tournaments saying in bold that any abusive language or actions toward officials, coaches, other teams, etc. will result in law enforcement being called. In addition to that, most of the venues that host these tournaments, at least in the Jackson Metro area, have law enforcement parked at the facility and/or routinely driving through the parking lots.

There is a reason that there have been shortages in youth soccer and baseball referees and umpires. It's because of bat-**** crazy parents and coaches. I personally know 3 referees that will not be returning next year because of the nonsense they had to put up with this past season.

So to answer your second paragraph, unfortunately it has gotten to that point and schools/event organizers need to understand that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

When 80MM "Americans" in a recent poll said it was OK to use violence to get your desired political outcome, I'm going to go with yes.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
You're joking, right?

Facts in the article and video tells you what happened. No reading between any lines.

Bryant was getting beat. They didn't like it. Took out their frustration on MRA with a sucker tackle.

Just poor sportsmanship by Bryant. As for MRA, looks more MRA guy may have been defending himself. He was jumped by more than one person.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You're joking, right?

Facts in the article and video tells you what happened. No reading between any lines.

Bryant was getting beat. They didn't like it. Took out their frustration on MRA with a sucker tackle.

Just poor sportsmanship by Bryant. As for MRA, looks more MRA guy may have been defending himself. He was jumped by more than one person.
Many intentionally-delusional people WANT it to be the fault of the 'uppity' MRA people.

That said, I'm sure the MRA people weren't exactly being 'subtle' in their celebrations of winning. Sort of like when you play Upward basketball, which was supposed to be a team-draft league based on ability, and run up against the stacked team with all Hartfield kids and no crappy kids - and the parents act like they are winning the Super Bowl with every basket.

But that doesn't deserve a mob beating.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
More defense of Bryant going on in this thread than apparently they showed on the field.

Why is the answer more armed guards rather than saying the problem was a result of the parents and they should be held accountable?

What happens when all that extra security and LEO's can't stop the brawl? Should they start capping folks? After all.. I'm hearing police presence is the answer to this problem.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There is a reason that there have been shortages in youth soccer and baseball referees and umpires. It's because of bat-**** crazy parents and coaches. I personally know 3 referees that will not be returning next year because of the nonsense they had to put up with this past season.
And so many think this sports culture is a good thing.

I just need to find a way to get in on the money-making side of these things.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We didn't have guards at youth sporting events. Did something happen while I was an adult? I don't remember too many guards when my kids played ball even.

It all comes down to the fact that people are too damn angry all the time.

Yeah, I'm an old man who grew up in the 70s, but I cannot imagine what it's like being a kid growing up right now.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I cannot imagine anyone hosting an event anything similar to this where you would anticipate the need to diffuse something like this. That level of security required would also pretty much shut down any youth/HS events of any sort.
Really?! People get crazy at sporting events, even minor sporting events.

Do you ever go to sporting events? If so, then did everyone remain completely calm and just watch the game quietly?

I regularly see law enforcement at high school games. Hmmm . . . maybe they are there to watch me?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You're joking, right?

I think we're pretty much drawing the same conclusion. Likely after the rough play, MRA parents started loudly complaining, drawing a reaction from the parents on the other side.

One needs to "read the room" so to speak. It may be better to keep one's mouth shut, no matter if little Johnny took a cheap shot, if you're in a questionable environment. For example, If Jxn Prep played at Provine and Provide started taking cheap shots, Prep parents need to understand what environment they are in.

If the MRA coach was concerned that his team was going take cheap shots, he likely should have stopped the game and left before it got out of hand. It's all about situational awareness and evaluating threats. Soft white parents from Madison County probably don't want to rile up rough cut characters from Pulaski County.

In absence of a strong official, security or strong leader onsite, the coaches should have stopped this before it got out of hand. As on poster commented, sometimes it's better to shut your mouth and load the bus.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think we're pretty much drawing the same conclusion. Likely after the rough play, MRA parents started loudly complaining, drawing a reaction from the parents on the other side.

One needs to "read the room" so to speak. It may be better to keep one's mouth shut, no matter if little Johnny took a cheap shot, if you're in a questionable environment. For example, If Jxn Prep played at Provine and Provide started taking cheap shots, Prep parents need to understand what environment they are in.

If the MRA coach was concerned that his team was going take cheap shots, he likely should have stopped the game and left before it got out of hand. It's all about situational awareness and evaluating threats. Soft white parents from Madison County probably don't want to rile up rough cut characters from Pulaski County.

In absence of a strong official, security or strong leader onsite, the coaches should have stopped this before it got out of hand. As on poster commented, sometimes it's better to shut your mouth and load the bus.
Some robust statements there…. lumping in some racial assumptions

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We didn't have guards at youth sporting events. Did something happen while I was an adult? I don't remember too many guards when my kids played ball even.

It all comes down to the fact that people are too damn angry all the time.

Yeah, I'm an old man who grew up in the 70s, but I cannot imagine what it's like being a kid growing up right now.
Hopefully we've all come to realize that "civil society" today isn't as civil as it was back then.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I understand that this is the reality, but I also think it's bullshlt that Provine, in your example, has free reign to do whatever they want. Why do they get to create a "questionable environment" that we all just have to deal with?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I understand that this is the reality, but I also think it's bullshlt that Provine, in your example, has free rein to do whatever they want. Why do they get to create a "questionable environment" that we all just have to deal with?
To go a step farther what makes a questionable environment and why is it provine the one that creates it?

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Just like with failing schools, start eliminating sports teams when adults do stupid crap like Bryant's parents did and you fix this cultural rot quickly.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So you understand statistics. Awesome.
Saying we get very much half the picture. It is just as possibly and likely that one of those mra parents didn’t like what was happening on the field and decided to throw a cheap shot that created the entire ruckus.

if that’s the case, which is again very plausible… then it’s the soft white Madison people that created the environment seen. Not the rough people from an area stereotyped above

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
No one is calling for SWAT but you need to have enough of a security presence to make people think twice before acting a fool.

Grandslam baseball sends out an email prior to each of their baseball tournaments saying in bold that any abusive language or actions toward officials, coaches, other teams, etc. will result in law enforcement being called. In addition to that, most of the venues that host these tournaments, at least in the Jackson Metro area, have law enforcement parked at the facility and/or routinely driving through the parking lots.

So to answer your second paragraph, unfortunately it has gotten to that point and schools/event organizers need to understand that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
This is the right answer - enough security to discourage unruly behavior by known troublemakers (i.e., parents that regularly get fired up at games).

If a single police officer (or, security officer) has ant trouble controlling the crowd, then immediately declare the game is over and it's time for everyone to go home.

The organizer/leader of the sporting event should warn everyone before the game, issue a single warning during the game, and declare the game is over if the unruly behavior continues.

Simple! ***

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
If you know anything about central Arkansas, it's real funny seeing people from Bryant being talked about like they're rough and tumble. It's more or less Brandon/Pearl.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
Saying we get very much half the picture. It is just as possibly and likely that one of those mra parents didn’t like what was happening on the field and decided to throw a cheap shot that created the entire ruckus.

if that’s the case, which is again very plausible… then it’s the soft white Madison people that created the environment seen. Not the rough people from an area stereotyped above
Yeah, ok

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login