OT: This might be the best tool I've ever bought...

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
No pull cord
No mixed gas
No ear protection
Quick and simple chain adjustment.. no wrench

If I never skin my knuckles and cuss a blue streak at that Stihl up in my shop it'll be too soon.

View attachment 329860
I
No pull cord
No mixed gas
No ear protection

If I never skin my knuckles and cuss a blue streak at that Stihl up in my shop it'll be too soon.

View attachment 329860
i have several Dewalt cordless tools, but mainly saws, drills, sanders, etc. I have been very pleased with them. What kind of battery life do you get from a charge?

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
How much backbone does it have, and how long will a battery last?
The tree in the photo is the biggest thing I’ve cut and with a sharp chain it walked through it with ease.
I have a 3 Dewalt flex volt 20v/60v batteries and I used it for an hour this afternoon cutting and dragging small stuff and it never went dead on the first one. But ymmv.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I've had a Milwaukee chainsaw and weed eater for several years. Loved them at first but they require a high amp battery,12amp, and over time the batteries held up shorter and shorter times to the point they are unusable. Currently a 12 amp battery is $280. Don't bother with the eBay/Amazon nock off batteries, they are crap. I just bought a gas chainsaw to clean up tornado debris, the electric chainsaw never came out of the shop but if I need to trim a crepe myrtle it's my go to.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Somewhat related. After the tornado I needed a big chain saw for some downed tree butts. I couldn't justify spending $600-$1000 for a saw that likely won't be used after the next month or so as I have a smaller Husqvarna saw that has been reliable for years. I bought a $140 Chinese saw on Amazon and it cuts great. I'm impressed. It may not crank in six months but it's been running for hours the last three weeks. If it never cuts another log I've got my $140 out of it.

Last edited:

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
No pull cord
No mixed gas
No ear protection

View attachment 329860
My brother has that exact one. I’ve borrowed it a couple times and it works great. It can take on some big limbs too. Just always keep a battery on the charge and keep the oil on the chain

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
That short charge time though. I borrowed one to try out. Just doesn't last long. Chain issues too. It's basically a bunch of plastic.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
My dad got me a Green Works for Christmas several years ago. 24v with 10” bar. I use it a good bit. It’s perfect for limbs around the yard.

I have cut a 14” diameter limb off of pecan tree that fixing to fall towards my garage. Hinged it, cut it on 2 sides, fell it, and cut it up in 3 ft chunks on a full charge.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I hunted with my cousin in Alaska a couple years ago and he had one for us to use around the camp. It was a game changer. I can’t remember changing batteries and doubt we brought an extra battery as we were very limited on space but it lasted 10 days for cutting our camp firewood every day.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
No pull cord
No mixed gas
No ear protection

View attachment 329860
Interesting, that I have one of these EXACT same saws. Ordered it online, and have been using it ever since the ice storm wreaked havoc on my trees. It works flawlessly and easy to use. Even when the chain popped off a couple times, it was so easy to remove cover, clean it, and put the chain back on. Best money I ever spent. Bought the largest one they had at 16". Wish they had a 18 or 20", cause I would have bought it in a NY minute. Just hope the battery holds up for a long time, because like all these new electric stuff we're seeing pop up, the batteries are not cheap at all.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I got my dad a Makita 16" that uses 2 18V. We already had a ton of tools in that family.

He's been using it a lot to clear his property, and it is surprisingly powerful. The only negative is that the bearing at the end of the bar has worn out twice.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Don’t know what “normal” is but renting the machine might be even better. Or hiring the work out.
I would define normal as a home owner with like 5 or less acres. For a chainsaw taking care of downed limbs and the occasional full tree. 10 or less uses per year.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
For normal home owners electric tools are the way to go. No small engine problems. No gas or oil. It’s just easier.
I’ve got a typical suburban house…. But I have no regrets with my gas yard tools. Do the routine maintenance on them, and you’re in good shape and won’t have to buy or charge expensive batteries. Just non-ethanol fuel and bar and chain oil.

I have the Ryobi Xpand-it (trimmer, edger, pruner, blower) and a cheap plastic sh1rt Black Cat chainsaw. I got a nice electric sharpener for the saw blade, so it always cuts right through the carnage from my tree from hell.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I’ve got a typical suburban house…. But I have no regrets with my gas yard tools. Do the routine maintenance on them, and you’re in good shape and won’t have to buy or charge expensive batteries. Just non-ethanol fuel and bar and chain oil.

I have the Ryobi Xpand-it (trimmer, edger, pruner, blower) and a cheap plastic sh1rt Black Cat chainsaw. I got a nice electric sharpener for the saw blade, so it always cuts right through the carnage from my tree from hell.

Same here. You can’t beat a 2 stroke for weedeating/edging and blowing. Love my Ryobi.

Reactions: eckie1

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
My dad has the Milwaukee battery chainsaw and hatchet saw. Greatest thing since sliced bread.

Love my Milwaukee cordless 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch impact guns. Makes working on things in the field so much easier.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
About 5 years ago I bought the Kobalt 80v weedeater, hedge trimmer, blower, chainsaw, and pole saw. Some of the best money I’ve spent.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Drop the link for this
This is the one in my photo above... I bought it "tool only" because I already have several batteries in the family.

Paid $160 at my local Ace Hardware.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Hard to beat my 6 yr old $129 42cc 18" Poulan from Harbor Freight. I may use it 2 days a year and it always cranks and runs. I keep 3 chains for it ready to go in case of emergency but have had no issues. Suggestion for some of you, when you just have limbs down your sawzall/reciprocating saw is the way to go. Buy some long woodcutting blades and get after it, much lighter than a chainsaw and less dangerous. I cut fallen limbs and prune shrubs and limbs all the time with mine.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Agree on Stihl tools. My new Stihl electric trimmer is a POS as a full charge will not do my front yard which is about 200 ft of cutting. The plastic blades also disintegrate quickly and are a pain in the arse to replace.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Same here. You can’t beat a 2 stroke for weedeating/edging and blowing. Love my Ryobi.
I had an Echo weedeater for almost 15 years and it was time for a new gas tank and rebuild the carburetor. Just decided to go with a battery powered one instead and I don’t regret it. It takes me 15 minutes to weedeat and trim my yard so going with a battery trimmer was an easy decision.

None of these yard tools are made for heavy duty use but for the average home owner they’re perfect.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
If you could incorporate a battery powered starter replacing a pull cord on a two stroke chainsaw that would be cool.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I’ve swapped all my 2 stroke implements for battery power. The mower is the only thing I’m putting gas in. I’m not really doing it to be green, but the battery power stuff is 10x easier to work with. I went with a Ryobi set because they were giving an extra battery if you bought the weed eater, edger, and blower set. So far, so good.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I’ve swapped all my 2 stroke implements for battery power. The mower is the only thing I’m putting gas in. I’m not really doing it to be green, but the battery power stuff is 10x easier to work with. I went with a Ryobi set because they were giving an extra battery if you bought the weed eater, edger, and blower set. So far, so good.
I have been using the 40v Ryobi (expand it)) string trimmer for about a month.
A Leaf Blower is in transit, 40v. and battery. So far so good.

This battery stuff is a racket.

Reactions: aTotal360

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I have been using the 40v Ryobi (expand it)) string trimmer for about a month.
A Leaf Blower is in transit, 40v. and battery. So far so good.

This battery stuff is a racket.
Agreed on the batteries. They all seem to come out with a new battery design every 4-5 years that forces you to buy new equipment because either a) the new batteries do not interface with older equipment or b) the new, old stock of batteries cost 90% of what the new equipment does causing you to say 17 it and buy a new fleet of implements.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
For all you guys complaining about the cost of replacement batteries, take your old ones to Batteries + Bulbs, formerly named Batteries Plus. They'll take your old rechargeable batteries and replace the cells inside with new ones at a fraction of the cost of buying new replacements. My experience with them is that when they're done, the batteries perform as good as, or in some cases better than, what came with the tool when it was new. I have yet to bring them a battery they couldn't rebuild.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
No pull cord
No mixed gas
No ear protection

View attachment 329860
I bought an EGO chainsaw and weedeater. Love both of them. I bought the weed eater first and loved it so much I bought the chainsaw and blower. They all work great. I can use the saw about 45 mins to an hour on a charge but I have two batteries and chargers so I can just swap out if I need too. I live in Amory so the chainsaw has been put to test. Matter o' fact even had some guys with Stihl chainsaws that were impressed by its performance. For light to moderate use it's the way to go.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
For all you guys complaining about the cost of replacement batteries, take your old ones to Batteries + Bulbs, formerly named Batteries Plus. They'll take your old rechargeable batteries and replace the cells inside with new ones at a fraction of the cost of buying new replacements. My experience with them is that when they're done, the batteries perform as good as, or in some cases better than, what came with the tool when it was new. I have yet to bring them a battery they couldn't rebuild.
Good tip. I had no idea. Damn smart business model. I hope they make a killing doing it, because the way the manufacturers set you up to have to buy new ones absolutely sucks.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
No pull cord
No mixed gas
No ear protection

View attachment 329860
You're right. I've got that and about that whole line of DeWalt tools. They just work.

And like someone else said, unless you're just doing work on a bunch of acreage, I don't know why a homeowner wouldn't go electric. Just so much easier.

Reactions: aTotal360

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I had zero idea that they could do that. Damn, thanks man

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login