OT: Tipping culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Your boy dorn considers himself a good tipper; no problem doing it at the sit down restaurant, barbershop, valet, etc. Hook me up, Ima hook you up.

But tipping has gotten BONKERS. I got hit for a tip at a bookstore, in which they said hello and rang me up. And then the AUDACITY to make the choices 25/30/35 %. I calmly went to custom amount ---> zero. Same deal with food trucks - like, it's you and your husband who I just watched back the trailer in with a 2022 F250. "And it's gonna ask you a quick question..." - my question is "why don't yall just price it how you need it?" I had a buddy get hit with a tip screen at an airport kiosk that wasn't even staffed by a human. I know everyone's got similar stories.

They're gonna eventually make it easier for everyone to get over the social anxiety of being thought of as a "bad tipper" and start hammering that 0% button, even at places where it's maybe warranted.

And while I'm at it: 15% at sit down restaurants was the go-to for what seems like most of my life. Seems like pandammit hit, and BOOM, it's 20% for standard service. Like if me and my bride get lunch at the fast casual joint and they ring me up for $50 and bring it to me - that's a Hamilton just cause? Refill your own drink and don't forget to bus the table too.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am a tipper when I am provided a service. "If they do a good job". I get my oil changed I tip. I tip everything. They remember when you come back and they usually go the extra step for you. It's worth it to me.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Your boy dorn considers himself a good tipper; no problem doing it at the sit down restaurant, barbershop, valet, etc. Hook me up, Ima hook you up.

But tipping has gotten BONKERS. I got hit for a tip at a bookstore, in which they said hello and rang me up. And then the AUDACITY to make the choices 25/30/35 %. I calmly went to custom amount ---> zero. Same deal with food trucks - like, it's you and your husband who I just watched back the trailer in with a 2022 F250. "And it's gonna ask you a quick question..." - my question is "why don't yall just price it how you need it?" I had a buddy get hit with a tip screen at an airport kiosk that wasn't even staffed by a human. I know everyone's got similar stories.

They're gonna eventually make it easier for everyone to get over the social anxiety of being thought of as a "bad tipper" and start hammering that 0% button, even at places where it's maybe warranted.

And while I'm at it: 15% at sit down restaurants was the go-to for what seems like most of my life. Seems like pandammit hit, and BOOM, it's 20% for standard service. Like if me and my bride get lunch at the fast casual joint and they ring me up for $50 and bring it to me - that's a Hamilton just cause? Refill your own drink and don't forget to bus the table too.

I'm over tipping. I used to eat at subway every once in a while. Sandwich prices went up a good bit, which I understand. I've seen the inflation. But now I'm getting hit for a tip? If you're going to charge $8 for a fast food sandwich and then ask for a tip, I will just go support an actual restaurant.

I also got hit with the 25/30/35 at a golf course a while back. I'm already paying resort prices for drinks in an area that's not particularly HCOL, so a 20% tip is pretty generous. Making the minimum 25% unless I back out of a menu was annoying enough that I just let the cart girl pass the rest of the round, so it actually cost her and the club money. Guess they more than make up for it on average though.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I typically overtip, but it is primarily to be kind because I was strapped for years and now that I have my kids on their own, I have a little extra disposable income. When I was strapped, I did not tip for counter "service" only, tipped small for counter service but they do bring me my food to the table and hit about 18-20% on sit down dining.

Reactions: dorndawg and Dawgg

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
In a sit-down restaurant my standard has always been 20% - if the service was great I'll go higher, if it sucked then I'll go 15% but that's the floor.

Places like McAlisters/Obys/Newks who went for years without tipping (and even bragged about how tips were not needed there) now all of a sudden ask for a tip on their machine. I choose $0 every time.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
In a sit-down restaurant my standard has always been 20% - if the service was great I'll go higher, if it sucked then I'll go 15% but that's the floor.

Places like McAlisters/Obys/Newks who went for years without tipping (and even bragged about how tips were not needed there) now all of a sudden ask for a tip on their machine. I choose $0 every time.
Yup. I can't even remember the last time I gave somebody 15%. Even if the waiter or waitress approaches being rude or something, I assume that's because they're having a bad day and I don't feel like piling on. Of course if everybody tips like me then better service isn't rewarded and there's really no purpose to tipping.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I went to a hibachi restaurant in Flowood that automatically adds 15% gratuity to your bill as soon as you sit down. They even put a sign on the door letting everyone know that's happening.

The pandemic changed the whole dynamic on tipping IMO. Those restaurants who were able to remain open were so short staffed, the request to tip didn't seem outrageous because you were trying to help your fellow man out. That model didn't change when things got "back to normal ".

I'm fine with tipping good service or when people go above and beyond but this guilt trip tip method that businesses use is really aggravating.

Beyond that, I really hate the "round up for the cause of the month" strategy some businesses are starting to use.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
A number of places are moving to an automatic 20% and they split it between the server and the back of house help. They're also adding that 3% credit card fee as well. You're getting hit at almost 25%. Then, they want you to give the server more when you pay out. 17 you sit down restaurants! 17 you!

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
First ridiculous tip request I remember was a few years back I was in Florida and went to a liquor store. I got some $50 Bourbon and a $40 Tequila. They had the tablet type POS and I pay with my debit card and he flips the screen and there is a 15%, 20% and 25% tip box. I was taken aback a bit. I bypassed it then and I still do today. Checking me out is not a service.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

The Panera Bread stopped doing it after a short period. I suppose they listened. On the drivethru, for a while they had a sign that said "tips are appreciated but never expected", now they've taken the sign down. So Panera is now my go-to place for lunch. In the same area, Five guys asks, Starbucks asks. I've never been to the others like Chipotle, Cava, Slim Chickens, etc.

Tip begging is ridiculous.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
First ridiculous tip request I remember was a few years back I was in Florida and went to a liquor store. I got some $50 Bourbon and a $40 Tequila. They had the tablet type POS and I pay with my debit card and he flips the screen and there is a 15%, 20% and 25% tip box. I was taken aback a bit. I bypassed it then and I still do today. Checking me out is not a service.
This is where it goes overboard. Why should I tip someone that only rang up my check 15%, 20%, or 25% on $90 vs someone that actually took my order, brought my drinks, bread, salad, order, dessert, etc etc? No way Joe, not happening from me. Feel the same way about Subway, they literall just put stuff on my bread and put it in a bag, why should I tip them the same as I would a full service server?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I got over the tip frustration/exhaustion complex about a year ago and have 0 issue declining to add a tip to any purchase where I don't think the staff is working off of tips.

- Subway? No tip- they are fully hourly.
- Hair cutter place? Tip because I'm guessing they get paid relatively low hourly.
- Restaurant where we are served and checked on? Tip 20% like always have.
- Pickup from restaurant? Tip small amount every 4th time- I can't 17ing figure out if I really should, but lean towards I shouldn't.
- Food truck or food tent at festival? No tip- they aren't working for tips and the food is already absurdly priced.
- Froyo shop where a teen stand there and watches you build your own yogurt cup? No tip- that kid is for sure not paid based on tips.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

I’m not sure what’s going on when I agree with you.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I’m glad this thread started because I was just complaining about this with my wife. We went to a Braves game and the concessions ask if you want to tip. For handing me a hot dog and beer….. I usually don’t have a problem just hitting the zero but now that some places have the iPads, they see you hit the zero. It’s like a guilt trip to tip you for no service

Reactions: Bubba Mediocrates

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I am a tipper when I am provided a service. "If they do a good job". I get my oil changed I tip. I tip everything. They remember when you come back and they usually go the extra step for you. It's worth it to me.
Screw that. How do you know they do a good job changing your oil? Where I go they take my car to the garage and change it out of sight. I've never heard of anyone tipping for an oil change.

Reactions: vhdawg

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I saw someone post a tip story I can get behind recently on twitter.

$18 - buy the cooks a beer

It's on the menu as an option so no pressure. As someone who paid my way through college as a cook I will absolutely order that if I ever see it.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

I'm a decent tipper, even at times when I probably shouldn't but I'm not tipping at a cash register for somebody to ring me up. Not happening. Aramark has the same set up at MSU concession stands and I don't pay it.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I went to a hibachi restaurant in Flowood that automatically adds 15% gratuity to your bill as soon as you sit down. They even put a sign on the door letting everyone know that's happening.

The pandemic changed the whole dynamic on tipping IMO. Those restaurants who were able to remain open were so short staffed, the request to tip didn't seem outrageous because you were trying to help your fellow man out. That model didn't change when things got "back to normal ".

I'm fine with tipping good service or when people go above and beyond but this guilt trip tip method that businesses use is really aggravating.

Beyond that, I really hate the "round up for the cause of the month" strategy some businesses are starting to use.
We probably went to the same restaurant a couple of months ago and everytime we pass that restaurant my wife bitches about the automatic tip on the bill and she is normally a good tipper. We haven't been back to that restaurant since.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I've noticed most sit down restaurants have creep up the IPAD-Pos to auto load 25% with 20 and 30% as an option. 20% max if they gave good service.

Also I noticed SEC games, concessions have the tip option too. I'll tip 10% my first trip and none after that.

Subway.... I still tip 10%. But I have a go to subway that has good employees.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Screw that. How do you know they do a good job changing your oil? Where I go they take my car to the garage and change it out of sight. I've never heard of anyone tipping for an oil change.
You have now. I originally did it as a form of networking when I sold insurance but kept on doing it. Idea is ware shirt with company logo. You tip they ask. I go to the same oil change place. They know who I am, and they take extra care of me. I tip and they reward. To each his own.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

I’d like to go on record as saying I’m proud you are reasonable about this.

Paying people what they are actually worth isn’t an idea I thought we’d agree on.

Kudos to you!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I got over the tip frustration/exhaustion complex about a year ago and have 0 issue declining to add a tip to any purchase where I don't think the staff is working off of tips.

- Hair cutter place? Tip because I'm guessing they get paid relatively low hourly.
- Pickup from restaurant? Tip small amount every 4th time- I can't 17ing figure out if I really should, but lean towards I shouldn't.
- Food truck or food tent at festival? No tip- they aren't working for tips and the food is already absurdly priced.
- Froyo shop where a teen stand there and watches you build your own yogurt cup? No tip- that kid is for sure not paid based on tips.
Wow y’all are surprising the $h1t out of me.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I’m glad this thread started because I was just complaining about this with my wife. We went to a Braves game and the concessions ask if you want to tip. For handing me a hot dog and beer….. I usually don’t have a problem just hitting the zero but now that some places have the iPads, they see you hit the zero. It’s like a guilt trip to tip you for no service
Be sure you keep steady eye contact as you hit ZERO, it will make your loins quiver.

#protip

HotMop

May 8, 2006
You have now. I originally did it as a form of networking when I sold insurance but kept on doing it. Idea is ware shirt with company logo. You tip they ask. I go to the same oil change place. They know who I am, and they take extra care of me. I tip and they reward. To each his own.
So what you're saying is they don't torque your plug to 220 ft/lbs???

• Haha
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Spent a week in Colorado last month - Golden, Manitou Springs, Colorado Springs and over half the places we ate or drank charged a credit card fee. It was pretty ridiculous.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Ill tip 18-20% but I’m not tipping on the taxed amount, (food and drink only) or tipping the plus %’s for the convenience fee a lot of restaurants are charging now

Dawgfan61

Mar 2, 2008
I took my daughter to a fro yo place tonight. We literally dispersed our own yogurt and toppings. go to counter and the guy weighs it, my options were 20, 25 and 30%. Uggh are you kidding?

Reactions: PhredPhantom

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I tip 10% for takeout. I figure bagging up my food is something beyond plating it so there is somebody past the cook having to deal with it. Probably doesn’t make sense to tip 10% for that and 20% for full service, but i feel like 9% of full service or takeout is to not spit in my food the next time, so I’m really tipping 1% for takeout and 11% for full service, which feels like the right proportion.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I tip good cuz I know those youngsters work their a$$es off and that money means more to the them than it hurts my wallet. Just got my Spring Rolls while sipping on a Kettle One on the rocks as I type. They love me here and I love them.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
They should require any business that asks for a tip to publish who is getting the tip (like to the waitresses pool with each other or keep their own? do they share with the busboys, cooks, etc.?) as well as what the people getting the tips are paid.

If the person receiving the tip is only getting paid $2.13 an hour, I'm inclined to leave a big tip regardless of the quality of the service. It's really ****** of their employer to do that, but I don't think it's right to withhold income from someone making almost nothing over what I personally think society "should" be like.

I was at Crumbl Cookies recently and ordered just 1 cookie for over $4. (It's a big cookie and good, but still that's a steep price.) The tip options it gave me were $2, $3, and $4, so nearly 50%, 75%, and 100%. Again, if that tip is being split among all the workers there and they're all only making $2 an hour, fine, I'll pay it, but I would like to know for sure before I leave a 100% tip.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’ve previously said that I’m not a church goer. My experiences have been negative and I don’t consider myself welcome.

On the other hand, I feel like I belong in restaurants and bars. The servers and bartenders are nice people. And the atmosphere is MUCH more warmer.

Basically my tithing goes to the service industry— because they generally do a great job in atmospheres that are often stressful.

And let’s face it: A lot of folks they deal with are dubmasses.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Probably not too far off when you do the self checkout at Kroger that the system asks for a tip.

• Haha
Reactions: vhdawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Seriously. And I ALMOST read a glfr post until I realized it was glfr.
That's because they are usually a whole lot longer to read.

Read Friends Tv GIF

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login