OT: Tipping culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Yep, 20% on the pre-tax amount at a full service restaurant with average service. I adjust if the service is better or worse. I've done that for years. A lot of the bar/restaurants here in Memphis add a 18% tip to the ticket after a certain time. It sucks they have to do that, but I understand. Just don't want to tip 38% by accident for a couple of beers and a burger!

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
- Froyo shop where a teen stand there and watches you build your own yogurt cup? No tip- that kid is for sure not paid based on tips.

Speaking of froyo, when did that **** suddenly turn into liquid gold? Took my kids and a friend out for yogurt a month ago, and after ringing up 4 medium cups, I'm told that'll be $42.50 after tax sir. And it would be greatly appreciated if you'd select a 15, 20, or 25% tip option.

For my son's following birthday, we got him a Cuisinart soft serve machine off of Amazon, and after tossing a $5 bag of mix and some cream into it, it makes some of the best ice cream I've had in 45 minutes. 17 these froyo places

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I'm over tipping. I used to eat at subway every once in a while. Sandwich prices went up a good bit, which I understand. I've seen the inflation. But now I'm getting hit for a tip? If you're going to charge $8 for a fast food sandwich and then ask for a tip, I will just go support an actual restaurant.

I also got hit with the 25/30/35 at a golf course a while back. I'm already paying resort prices for drinks in an area that's not particularly HCOL, so a 20% tip is pretty generous. Making the minimum 25% unless I back out of a menu was annoying enough that I just let the cart girl pass the rest of the round, so it actually cost her and the club money. Guess they more than make up for it on average though.
Your local sandwich artists are going to be very upset after reading this

• Haha
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Tips are a reward for good service and thus need to be earned. I’m probably more generous than I should a lot of places because it’s honesty pretty rare to get good service anymore at a lot of places.

So anyone taking my order is not even really providing a service. Now if I ask and they provide recommendations (like what’s good on the menu) then they are earning a tip.

but these kiosk are just ridiculous and I’ve gotten over the guilt trip with them

Reactions: PhredPhantom

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
My wife’s Arbonne, Sondr, and doTerra reps all ask for tips. It really chaps my arse - it’s outta control

Reactions: dorndawg

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Speaking of froyo, when did that **** suddenly turn into liquid gold? Took my kids and a friend out for yogurt a month ago, and after ringing up 4 medium cups, I'm told that'll be $42.50 after tax sir. And it would be greatly appreciated if you'd select a 15, 20, or 25% tip option.

For my son's following birthday, we got him a Cuisinart soft serve machine off of Amazon, and after tossing a $5 bag of mix and some cream into it, it makes some of the best ice cream I've had in 45 minutes. 17 these froyo places

There's a milkshake place called the Milkshake Yard (across the street from the outfield of Toyota Field), so I stopped there a few months a go to give them a try. One milkshake about the size of a standard Red Solo Cup was right at $9. If you want to pack on the calories, one about 3 or 4 times that size can be had at Sonic for less than $5 and it's at least as good.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
No problem doing 20+ at a restaurant. Don’t mind at independent coffee, but now feel annoyed that Starbucks has started it because it came the same time as a price hike. Typically hate doing it at fast food places but often still do a small one. Definitely makes me not want to go to those places. UberEats has ramped up their suggested percentages too. It was defaulting to 21% last night and suggesting up to 30%, and that’s in addition to a service fee and delivery fee. Never round up for charity because I’d rather give the money myself.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I also got hit with the 25/30/35 at a golf course a while back. I'm already paying resort prices for drinks in an area that's not particularly HCOL, so a 20% tip is pretty generous. Making the minimum 25% unless I back out of a menu was annoying enough that I just let the cart girl pass the rest of the round, so it actually cost her and the club money. Guess they more than make up for it on average though.
Cart girl tips are, of course, based on things other than quality of service - like her appearance, mode of dress, etc. That's why they have cart girls and not cart guys.

• Haha
Reactions: WrightGuy821

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You have now. I originally did it as a form of networking when I sold insurance but kept on doing it. Idea is ware shirt with company logo. You tip they ask. I go to the same oil change place. They know who I am, and they take extra care of me. I tip and they reward. To each his own.
You have now. I originally did it as a form of networking when I sold insurance but kept on doing it. Idea is ware shirt with company logo. You tip they ask. I go to the same oil change place. They know who I am, and they take extra care of me. I tip and they reward. To each his own.
Wow not sure I've been to any oil change places where the same people were working there twice in a row

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
I agree with basically everyone on here with not tipping people at places that don’t provide an actual service to you, but let me tell you about the other side of this. I DoorDash drove for a while and people that do not tip DoorDash drivers are complete ********. Your lazy *** won’t go pick up your Wendy’s food and I got paid about 3.50 cents from DoorDash to pick it up and deliver it to you which usually barely covers my gas, but you won’t give a tip? I did around 300 deliveries and about 50 % don’t tip. It’s completely a dick move. If you don’t have enough money to tip for DoorDash then you don’t have enough money to get someone to bring you your food. They should put mandatory tips on DoorDash deliveries and then if someone provides poor service you should be able to get a refund from DoorDash (actually they should force DoorDash to pay higher wages, but if that’s not going to happen then they should do what I suggested.)

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I’d like to go on record as saying I’m proud you are reasonable about this.

Paying people what they are actually worth isn’t an idea I thought we’d agree on.

Kudos to you!
Tipping culture is rooted in racism & we should simply pay people for the job they do, dispelling with tips - that better?**

Reactions: mstateglfr

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The Panera Bread stopped doing it after a short period. I suppose they listened. On the drivethru, for a while they had a sign that said "tips are appreciated but never expected", now they've taken the sign down. So Panera is now my go-to place for lunch. In the same area, Five guys asks, Starbucks asks. I've never been to the others like Chipotle, Cava, Slim Chickens, etc.

Tip begging is ridiculous.
Panaera is preposterously over-priced as it is

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Nah bc then I’d know you were trolling bc white people work for tips too.
Well, actually...

Shooting Star GIF

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
How about click ticket for online groceries? Walmart for instance, I don’t think even have the option at checkout. Those bringing out your stuff, say they can’t except.

Don’t remember if Kroger or other grocery stores have the option or not, but will accept tip if offered.

If, tip is needed for this service, what percentage? My family of 3 often has a $200 or more per week in groceries.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have to say, I'm a fan of tipping. I have very fond memories of the time I told that girl back in high school as my CD player jumped from Cheap Trick to The Jeff Healy Band, "just the tip."

Tipping was what made this country great. This new soaking bullshìt is just weird. If it weren't for tipping... Hold one. Being told I am off topic... Ah 17 noit. Standing by my stance. Tipping is great.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Your boy dorn considers himself a good tipper; no problem doing it at the sit down restaurant, barbershop, valet, etc. Hook me up, Ima hook you up.

But tipping has gotten BONKERS. I got hit for a tip at a bookstore, in which they said hello and rang me up. And then the AUDACITY to make the choices 25/30/35 %. I calmly went to custom amount ---> zero. Same deal with food trucks - like, it's you and your husband who I just watched back the trailer in with a 2022 F250. "And it's gonna ask you a quick question..." - my question is "why don't yall just price it how you need it?" I had a buddy get hit with a tip screen at an airport kiosk that wasn't even staffed by a human. I know everyone's got similar stories.

They're gonna eventually make it easier for everyone to get over the social anxiety of being thought of as a "bad tipper" and start hammering that 0% button, even at places where it's maybe warranted.

And while I'm at it: 15% at sit down restaurants was the go-to for what seems like most of my life. Seems like pandammit hit, and BOOM, it's 20% for standard service. Like if me and my bride get lunch at the fast casual joint and they ring me up for $50 and bring it to me - that's a Hamilton just cause? Refill your own drink and don't forget to bus the table too.

Someone has completely hacked your account.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Europe does a few things better than America. Tipping is one. You don't have to tip if you don't want to, it's advisable for taxis and hotel workers who handle your luggage, and usually its only a small amount. The menu price is all you have to pay and it includes taxes and the service is just as good as you get in America. There's none of the nonsense about adding a tip wherever you use a credit card. And they don't take your credit card or phone. And restaurants don't actually take your credit card and instead bring the terminal/machine to your table.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
I’ve been in the food/service industry all my life so I overtip everywhere. In my view it’s much better to go in to places & be known to be generous & trust me that absolutely matters. That said, it has gotten out of hand at some places like the DC airport snack bar that asked for a tip for buying a bottle of water. If it feels egregious, just hit none & keep movin.

The places charging credit card processing fees, especially restaurants, are fighting inflation on lower margins that any other business. I’ll see idiots complain saying just price it in but it’s actually more honest to offer the ability to miss the fee by paying cash imo. The national avg on restaurant profit margin is roughly 5-10% so that 3% is huge. If you’re doing a milli a year in cc transactions that $30k could be the difference in retaining staff so you can keep rolling.

Last thing about automatic gratuity. I personally don’t care for it for small groups but odds are I’m tipping that amount anyway at minimum so whatever. All of Biloxi did it for a certain spring break week & I understand why. Whatever you do, NEVER be the person who says, “I would have tipped more if you didn’t add it on there” because everyone in that restaurant who hears you say that now knows you’re a lying pos baby back biotch.

Jul 26, 2021
At Peopers their new self-service kiosks ask for a tip after you type in your order.

If I could choose less than zero I would.
Many years ago, I was at an oyster bar in Hattiesburg. The server would go MIA for 30 minutes plus at a time. At night’s end this was/is the only time I tipped (-)$1.

Jul 26, 2021
This is where it goes overboard. Why should I tip someone that only rang up my check 15%, 20%, or 25% on $90 vs someone that actually took my order, brought my drinks, bread, salad, order, dessert, etc etc? No way Joe, not happening from me. Feel the same way about Subway, they literall just put stuff on my bread and put it in a bag, why should I tip them the same as I would a full service server?
At my Subway, the dude literally waves me away when it comes to the tip screen…and presses no tip. He’s pretty dang adamant about it too. Much respect.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Well, actually...

Shooting Star GIF

So you think black people only work tipping jobs.

Interesting racist take!

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I just tip if they are providing a personal service to me like oil changes, hair cuts, or waiting my table. I don’t tip for carry out orders or anything else in like that.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I’ve previously said that I’m not a church goer. My experiences have been negative and I don’t consider myself welcome.

On the other hand, I feel like I belong in restaurants and bars. The servers and bartenders are nice people. And the atmosphere is MUCH more warmer.

Basically my tithing goes to the service industry— because they generally do a great job in atmospheres that are often stressful.

And let’s face it: A lot of folks they deal with are dubmasses.
I read a story not too long ago about a guy who forgot to turn his phone off and was scolded by the preacher and got mean looks from others in the congregation. Later on he went to a bar where he spilled his drink and the glass shattered on the floor. He apologized and tried to help clean it up but the waitress said no problem as we all make mistakes while a fellow patron asked if he had cut himself and if he was okay then the bartender poured him one on the house. But there ARE good Churches that are A$$hole free.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I read a story not too long ago about a guy who forgot to turn his phone off and was scolded by the preacher and got mean looks from others in the congregation. Later on he went to a bar where he spilled his drink and the glass shattered on the floor. He apologized and tried to help clean it up but the waitress said no problem as we all make mistakes while a fellow patron asked if he had cut himself and if he was okay then the bartender poured him one on the house. But there ARE good Churches that are A$$hole free.
Lol...consider the venue of those anecdotes. Bar is a place where people are going to get liquored up, they definitely suspect there will be rowdy stuff....spilled drinks, someone falling over, etc. Church, most are quiet places where taking calls on speaker phone wouldn't be welcome even if it was "asshoe free". I've been to quite a range of churches/denominations over my life, including ones that I questioned my sanity in accepting the invite, but none have been "hey, you just sit there and take that call". Of course, a more polished or laid back person at the pulpit might ask if it's Jesus calling.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Lol...consider the venue of those anecdotes. Bar is a place where people are going to get liquored up, they definitely suspect there will be rowdy stuff....spilled drinks, someone falling over, etc. Church, most are quiet places where taking calls on speaker phone wouldn't be welcome even if it was "asshoe free". I've been to quite a range of churches/denominations over my life, including ones that I questioned my sanity in accepting the invite, but none have been "hey, you just sit there and take that call". Of course, a more polished or laid back person at the pulpit might ask if it's Jesus calling.
I get your point and generally agree, but I think the point is “Don’t be a judgmental a-hole”.

Forgetting to turn your phone on silent shouldn’t make you feel unwelcome at church. Now if you do it repeatedly, that’s different.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I got over the tip frustration/exhaustion complex about a year ago and have 0 issue declining to add a tip to any purchase where I don't think the staff is working off of tips.

- Subway? No tip- they are fully hourly.
- Hair cutter place? Tip because I'm guessing they get paid relatively low hourly.
- Restaurant where we are served and checked on? Tip 20% like always have.
- Pickup from restaurant? Tip small amount every 4th time- I can't 17ing figure out if I really should, but lean towards I shouldn't.
- Food truck or food tent at festival? No tip- they aren't working for tips and the food is already absurdly priced.
- Froyo shop where a teen stand there and watches you build your own yogurt cup? No tip- that kid is for sure not paid based on tips.
I will add to this. If you pick up from a restaurant there is two ways of looking at this. One, the whole purpose of picking up from the restaurant is because you didn't want to deal with tipping or doing the whole sit down thing. The other way to think about it is the person serving the pickup line didn't have a choice in what station or which section they are working. They get the shaft because it is their turn to work the pick up orders.

I usually tip around 10% for pick up orders, but I can easily see why most wouldn't. I just have pity on that person.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I will add to this. If you pick up from a restaurant there is two ways of looking at this. One, the whole purpose of picking up from the restaurant is because you didn't want to deal with tipping or doing the whole sit down thing. The other way to think about it is the person serving the pickup line didn't have a choice in what station or which section they are working. They get the shaft because it is their turn to work the pick up orders.

I usually tip around 10% for pick up orders, but I can easily see why most wouldn't. I just have pity on that person.
Yes- this is what I waver back and forth on while driving to get the food. I recognize that if this is what I am worried about, I have it pretty damn good, but still it is what sits on my mind.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I agree with basically everyone on here with not tipping people at places that don’t provide an actual service to you, but let me tell you about the other side of this. I DoorDash drove for a while and people that do not tip DoorDash drivers are complete ********. Your lazy *** won’t go pick up your Wendy’s food and I got paid about 3.50 cents from DoorDash to pick it up and deliver it to you which usually barely covers my gas, but you won’t give a tip? I did around 300 deliveries and about 50 % don’t tip. It’s completely a dick move. If you don’t have enough money to tip for DoorDash then you don’t have enough money to get someone to bring you your food. They should put mandatory tips on DoorDash deliveries and then if someone provides poor service you should be able to get a refund from DoorDash (actually they should force DoorDash to pay higher wages, but if that’s not going to happen then they should do what I suggested.)
DoorDash is the opposite of the inflated percentages for tips. Only used it once but I had a $40 order I think after all the fees were added and the max suggested tip was $5. The restaurant was close so $5 wouldn't be some horrible tip based on time, but I feel like $5 is basically the minimum tip for somebody if you're too lazy to get off your *** and pick up food and it definitely shouldn't be the max option. Had to go back into the order and add a tip after the fact, which I'm sure a lot of people just assume since they picked the max available option, it must have been a fair/good tip.

Not sure what delivery drivers expect, but they should give some sort of suggested tip based on distance. The percentage tip makes way less sense for a delivery driver than a waiter. Have a pizza place nearby that I get delivery from basically when I don't need to drive, and what I would consider a fair tip ends up being a huge percentage of the total bill just because we're not ordering that much. On the flipside, I don't feel like dropping $25 on a total roundtrip distance of four miles just because we have a bigger group of people. I'm not going to give you just $4 for a $20 order, but I'm also not going to give you $25 for a $125 order. Not sure if delivery drivers think that's ****** or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: campshelbydog1116

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
At my Subway, the dude literally waves me away when it comes to the tip screen…and presses no tip. He’s pretty dang adamant about it too. Much respect.
Somewhat related story:

Went to Newks for lunch this weekend. Went to pay and the lady taking the order reached across and hit $0 for tip, but then says "Don't tip these fools, they mess up the orders too much. If you want to leave a tip you can put it here" and taps the plastic TIPS jar next to her order screen. I'm thinking to myself "damn is the food service industry so jacked up that workers are now resorting to trying to steal tips from their fellow employees?"

The dude in the back makes the sandwich. A second person probably puts the sandwich on a plate, and then grabs whatever side you ordered and adds it to the plate. Then a third person is the runner to bring the tray to my table. And I'm making my own drink. But you want me to skip all them and put a cash tip directly in your jar because you stood there and pushed buttons on a screen? I don't tip at counter-service places anyway, but if I ever do start, the person taking the order is the 5th person in line to get one.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’ve been in the food/service industry all my life so I overtip everywhere. In my view it’s much better to go in to places & be known to be generous & trust me that absolutely matters. That said, it has gotten out of hand at some places like the DC airport snack bar that asked for a tip for buying a bottle of water. If it feels egregious, just hit none & keep movin.

The places charging credit card processing fees, especially restaurants, are fighting inflation on lower margins that any other business. I’ll see idiots complain saying just price it in but it’s actually more honest to offer the ability to miss the fee by paying cash imo. The national avg on restaurant profit margin is roughly 5-10% so that 3% is huge. If you’re doing a milli a year in cc transactions that $30k could be the difference in retaining staff so you can keep rolling.

Last thing about automatic gratuity. I personally don’t care for it for small groups but odds are I’m tipping that amount anyway at minimum so whatever. All of Biloxi did it for a certain spring break week & I understand why. Whatever you do, NEVER be the person who says, “I would have tipped more if you didn’t add it on there” because everyone in that restaurant who hears you say that now knows you’re a lying pos baby back biotch.
I never say that, but it's sometimes true. Most automatic gratuities I see are 18%. I'd rather tip 20% but sometimes it feels more awkward to top up a bill by $2 than to just not do anything. When a waiter points out that an automatic tip is included when they hand me the bill, I always top it up, usually to get closer to 25%. If I'm at a restaurant where an automatic tip is added, it's usually because there is a group and we will have been drinking, so I appreciate the water not hoping we miss the automatic gratuity.

But I've also noticed that I'm rarely getting hit up for automatic tips anymore, even at places that say they will add an automatic gratuity to groups. Pretty sure the waiters at those places make a guess as to whether or not they're better off adding the gratuity or not.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Since this is a State board I thought this was a thread on cow tipping. I knew a couple of boys from south Mississippi tat went out cow tipping a couple times a semester. I guess that's how they relieved the stress of school.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
One of my kids is not bio ours, but ours. She just finished her first year at college and was wavering on whether to go back to the part time job she had for the last year+ of high school. She loves it because its easy and she can wear leggings and a hoodie. I hate it because the owner exploits the 17 out of young employees.

Its one of those 'health' drink shops- they have a ton of teas and shakes that you can add a bunch of crap to for $4/'shot'.

Anyways, the owner's rule was tips go to the store for cleaning supplies and misc needs. Total 17ing BS.
Suddenly last month, the owner sent out a message to all the part time girls and said she decided to change their tipping policy and all tips can be cashed out at the end of the day and evenly divided by who was there and hours worked.
Clearly someone had called her out and complained/threatened.

Awful people are awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login