OT: Titanic submersible

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I read they have until Thursday morning before oxygen runs out. The people on this sub supposedly paid $250k each to do this. Coast Guard is aiding in the rescue so hopefully they find them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It looks pretty hopeless. Even if they find them in time, there just aren't many subs even capable of diving to that depth. Much less getting there, planning executing a rescue operation in time.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
One of the 'experts' (and he truly seemed to know what he was talking about) being interviewed said that even if the submersible popped to the surface, they can't open the hatch from the inside. It has 14 bolts and they have to be removed from the outside. That seems like an incredible design error. Can you imagine bobbing around on the surface, with plenty of breathable air on the outside, but you can't open the door? Plus, it's made at least partially of a wound composite (carbon fiber or fiberglass) and those materials are brittle and don't just bend like metal does.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I hadnt heard about this until the thread. Awful to read.

There is a box for everyone to crap in and the only window is a small bolthole next to the crap box? And the pilot steered this with a video game controler?
Like...wt17?
I cant imagine this being something people pay to do.

What are the conditions like?​

The submersible, a Cyclops-2 model named Titan, is the second Cyclops model built by OceanGate, after the Cyclops-1.

As there are no doors on the craft, it is thought passengers begin their journey by climbing in through an entry hatch which is then bolted shut from the outside before they descend 13,000ft (2.4 miles) beneath the ocean surface to the Titanic.

There are no seats on the 22ft long, 9.5ft wide, and 9.2ft high cylindrical craft, meaning passengers must sit on the hard floor without shoes, which they are required to leave behind.

If they need the toilet, they must use a small black box separated by a curtain from the rest of the crew.

Cut off from communication with the outside world, they have no idea of whether they will ever be found.

There are no windows except a small bolthole directly next to the toilet at the front of the craft which is also the primary viewpoint to look out at the Titanic.

When the craft was still operational, the pilot used a modified Logitech games controller to steer it.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I hadnt heard about this until the thread. Awful to read.

There is a box for everyone to crap in and the only window is a small bolthole next to the crap box? And the pilot steered this with a video game controler?
Like...wt17?
I cant imagine this being something people pay to do.

I'll bet about 2.5 hours into the descent the shitters were all full.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I ain't smart enough about this schit to understand why nobody can find it immediately based on all the high tech we got these days. Ain't no way in hell I'd go that deep in a private sub either. 17 The Titanic in person; just send me the video. Only way I'd go down there would be via The U.S. Navy.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I ain't smart enough about this schit to understand why nobody can find it immediately based on all the high tech we got these days.
The Navy has a hard time finding full sized subs. Now those are trying not to be found but this thing is small. Full sized subs don't go anywhere near that deep either. If it's trapped on the bottom it may never be found.

• Sad
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
They can’t find it because it’s apparently over 2 miles underwater, in pitch black darkness, in sea floor that isn’t level, in the middle of an existing debris field from the Titanic.

The only chance they have is if it’s already on the surface somewhere and just hasn’t been found. If that’s not the case, then pray they suffered a catastrophic failure that killed them quickly. Otherwise, they got sealed up in their own tomb and got buried alive in essence. Gives me chills just imagining how bad a death that would be.

I ain't smart enough about this schit to understand why nobody can find it immediately based on all the high tech we got these days.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The Navy has a hard time finding full sized subs. Now those are trying not to be found but this thing is small. Full sized subs don't go anywhere near that deep either. If it's trapped on the bottom it may never be found.
Doesn't help matters that they're looking for it in a debris field (from the Titanic). It'll be found eventually. But it may be way too late by then.

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
Coast Guard won't be much help unless they are bobbing on the surface. Navy had some DSRV's but I don't know how useful they would be in this situation. They were designed to seal to a submarine's hatch and allow crew to escape, not a possibility in this situation. As an 8 year submariner I hope they are recovered but don't really expect them to be.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The only chance they have is if it’s already on the surface somewhere and just hasn’t been found. If that’s not the case, then pray they suffered a catastrophic failure that killed them quickly. Otherwise, they got sealed up in their own tomb and got buried alive in essence. Gives me chills just imagining how bad a death that would be.
That would be horrible. If it just imploded, they were killed instantly. But if it's on the bottom intact, they'll sit there for close to 4 days knowing there's no hope.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Why ain't there 'bout a hunert similar submersibles packing sonar scanning the floor?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
NEVER get me in that thing. I'm simi claustrophobic.
I must be all the way claustrophobic. I'm a little short of breath sitting here just thinking about the situation. I have jumped out of an airplane, off of a pretty tall building, cliff dived, bungeed, etc. But I got sweaty and a little panicky riding that tiny elevator up to the top of the St. Louis arch. Ain't NO way I'm getting in anything under water.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The best case scenario here is a hull breach that crushed them instantly. The pressure under 2 miles of water is unbelievable and the reason they won't be rescued is there are very few submersibles capable of withstanding that pressure. It's odd that it wasn't tethered to the accompanying ship. Anyway, I agree with all the " no 17ing way" comments. Could not pay me enough.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
One of the 'experts' (and he truly seemed to know what he was talking about) being interviewed said that even if the submersible popped to the surface, they can't open the hatch from the inside. It has 14 bolts and they have to be removed from the outside. That seems like an incredible design error. Can you imagine bobbing around on the surface, with plenty of breathable air on the outside, but you can't open the door? Plus, it's made at least partially of a wound composite (carbon fiber or fiberglass) and those materials are brittle and don't just bend like metal does.
This was a very, very small time operation from what I’ve seen. They just likely killed a billionaire, so all of their futures are gone.

Still, it’s on the passengers for having any amount of faith in these morons.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's odd that it wasn't tethered to the accompanying ship.
👆
I can’t believe they didn’t have a tracking device that showed their location.

Not positive, but I’m not sure there is a tracking device out there that can send a signal to the surface through 2 miles of water.

It probably has some radio or sonar signal that can be picked up from close proximity….but the problem is nothing can get down there.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
This was a very, very small time operation from what I’ve seen. They just likely killed a billionaire, so all of their futures are gone.

Still, it’s on the passengers for having any amount of faith in these morons.

I read an article that said one of their employees warned about the capability of the submersible to handle 4,000 meters. I can't load the article now (maybe it's been removed) but I believe he said the viewport was only certified to 1,200 meters. He brought it up and recommended that it not carry humans until certified at 4,000 and was immediately fired.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Not positive, but I’m not sure there is a tracking device out there that can send a signal to the surface through 2 miles of water.

It probably has some radio or sonar signal that can be picked up from close proximity….but the problem is nothing can get down there.
If it was tethered to the ship, it could be tracked and communicated with, presumably. Even the ones that go to 35,000 ft are tethered and have communications. You'd also think it would have something like a black box that airliners carry that would ping for several days. Apparently it did not have any such capability.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Man, it doesn't look good for those folks; of course I'm hoping they can defy the odds and make it. I can't think of much else more terrifying than the deep sea.
Honestly, if they can't find them (and that's doubful) then they would've been better off had the thing imploded and that's certainly a possibility. Dying in a dark, cold, cramped, oxygen deficient craft at the bottom of the ocean makes me claustrophobic just thinking about it.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Man, it doesn't look good for those folks; of course I'm hoping they can defy the odds and make it. I can't think of much else more terrifying than the deep sea.
Me too. I'd rather be stranded on Mars walking around in a space suit. Being underwater gives me the creeps and being in that cramped vessel would drive me stark crazy!

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Me too. I'd rather be stranded on Mars walking around in a space suit. Being underwater gives me the creeps and being in that cramped vessel would drive me stark crazy!
I was just thinking even I can not think of a more torturous death. Just sitting there waiting to run out of air in something the size of a minivan would drive me 17ing nuts.

Also y’all correct me if I am wrong, but the ole Devil heard that since the hatch has to put on in a special way it can only be opened from the outside. Meaning they could be at the surface and still run out of air if not found and the hatched not opened?

Reactions: patdog

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Yeah, I’d rather let Richard Branson blast me in to space.

Reactions: patdog

Travelingdawg

Mar 14, 2013
I was just thinking even I can not think of a more torturous death. Just sitting there waiting to run out of air in something the size of a minivan would drive me 17ing nuts.

Also y’all correct me if I am wrong, but the ole Devil heard that since the hatch has to put on in a special way it can only be opened from the outside. Meaning they could be at the surface and still run out of air if not found and the hatched not opened?
If it’s on the surface an Epirb should be on board for tracking.
Accoustic releases sit on the bottom of the ocean and receives commands to release instruments from the bottom of the ocean. So it is hard for me to comprehend that a private submarine doesn’t have technology to be tracked. I’m also not an expert on the subject though.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
If it’s on the surface an Epirb should be on board for tracking.
Accoustic releases sit on the bottom of the ocean and receives commands to release instruments from the bottom of the ocean. So it is hard for me to comprehend that a private submarine doesn’t have technology to be tracked. I’m also not an expert on the subject though.
I have no idea. I just keep thinking that is a 17ing crazy way to die. Obviously we all hope they make it.

Last edited:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
If it was tethered to the ship, it could be tracked and communicated with, presumably. Even the ones that go to 35,000 ft are tethered and have communications. You'd also think it would have something like a black box that airliners carry that would ping for several days. Apparently it did not have any such capability.
It's not tethered. They release the sub and let it sink, then have to send messages from the surface of their location to guide the sub. Some reporter went down to the Titanic last year and he said in his story that the only way they communicate with the surface vessel is through TEXT MESSAGES...?!? So besides all the other red flags (can't open from the inside, no sonar equipment, a vessel controlled with a LITERAL video game control, etc.) betting my life on a text message getting through would be a big WTF to me.

Not to make a joke, but we can't always get a text to go through at DWS, and it's on the surface of the earth.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
It's not communicating via text messages. Not sure what they're using, but radio waves barely penetrate the water. More likely some form of underwater "telephone" using sonar for voice comms or something like morse code. And the latest US Navy nuclear subs use joysticks to steer the boat. Not a video game controller, but it's still a fly-by-wire system.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I listen to a guy that knew what he sound like. He knew what he was talking about and he had been in the Navy for decades. He said the problem is most sea vessels are made of titanium or some kind of steel, but this was made of a kind of plastic [to put it much too simply] and they would have a hard time getting a signal the ping off of it in that deep water.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login