OT: Titanic submersible

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I was just thinking even I can not think of a more torturous death. Just sitting there waiting to run out of air in something the size of a minivan would drive me 17ing nuts
If it were me in that position, I think I’d probably just do my best to kick out the window, and depressurize the sub, and die a quick and painless death on the bottom of the ocean than sit down there for 3 days and suffocate. But then again, you wouldn’t catch me down there in the first place.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If it were me in that position, I think I’d probably just do my best to kick out the window, and depressurize the sub, and die a quick and painless death on the bottom of the ocean than sit down there for 3 days and suffocate. But then again, you wouldn’t catch me down there in the first place.
If you are going to do that just wait until everyone goes to sleep and kill them. Extend the air for yourself.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Would not be surprised if/when it’s found that it imploded.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Unfortunately, you aren’t kicking out a window designed to hold back 6,000 psi of pressure. If it didn’t implode on the way down, a slow painful death is your only option unless you convince one of your equally doomed buddies to strangle you.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Nobody has mentioned pressure. Atmospheric change occurs every 33 feet in the great blue. Even if they were found, could they be rescued in time? Deep sea welders take days to resurface and these half-wits (they PAID to go deep in a plastic container) are over 2 miles under.

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
Nobody has mentioned pressure. Atmospheric change occurs every 33 feet in the great blue. Even if they were found, could they be rescued in time? Deep sea welders take days to resurface and these half-wits (they PAID to go deep in a plastic container) are over 2 miles under.
If the submarine is pressure tight, that isn't an issue. You keep the internal pressure @ or near atmospheric. At least that's the way we did it on the nuclear subs I served on.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
They should have "Night Lock" pills/injections available for extremely high risk dangerous journeys to the ocean or space deeps. Just in case, the inevitable becomes evident. Rather than suffocating or burning up, it would be much easier to just go to sleep quickly and on to the next life.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nobody is welding anything that deep, and you couldn't get them out without killing them anyway. The only rescue is to bring the sub to the surface.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I listen to a guy that knew what he sound like. He knew what he was talking about and he had been in the Navy for decades. He said the problem is most sea vessels are made of titanium or some kind of steel, but this was made of a kind of plastic [to put it much too simply] and they would have a hard time getting a signal the ping off of it in that deep water
Resin impregnated into carbon fiber under vacuum curing process. Same thing a lot of golf club and fishing shafts are made out of. Much lighter than steel and almost as strong, but as you say, it does deaden sound or vibration more than steel would. I've done a lot of work with carbon/resin composites and it's a wonderful technological material. Lots of plane parts are made from it as well.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Damn Glory.....That's a little serial killerish. Glad we're not friends/neighbors.
I was just saying if you were going to do that. "You" as in "him" being the key. I did not say if I was going to that. However, I doubt not too many people has the strength to kick the window out or open the hatch that deep under water.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
It's not communicating via text messages. Not sure what they're using, but radio waves barely penetrate the water. More likely some form of underwater "telephone" using sonar for voice comms or something like morse code. And the latest US Navy nuclear subs use joysticks to steer the boat. Not a video game controller, but it's still a fly-by-wire system.
Just telling you what the man said 6 months ago. Here's the video. It's an interesting watch, especially now.
Submersible to the Titanic

ETA: I went back and found where he discusses losing communication on one of the dives. This starts at about 7:30 in.

Last edited:

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
One of the 'experts' (and he truly seemed to know what he was talking about) being interviewed said that even if the submersible popped to the surface, they can't open the hatch from the inside. It has 14 bolts and they have to be removed from the outside. That seems like an incredible design error. Can you imagine bobbing around on the surface, with plenty of breathable air on the outside, but you can't open the door? Plus, it's made at least partially of a wound composite (carbon fiber or fiberglass) and those materials are brittle and don't just bend like metal does.
They put the bolts on the outside because it is way more likely that someone from the inside would open the door in a panic and kill all of them. Going into deep water screws with people's minds, regardless of how much they did or didn't train for that situation.

Reactions: patdog

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Unfortunately, you aren’t kicking out a window designed to hold back 6,000 psi of pressure. If it didn’t implode on the way down, a slow painful death is your only option unless you convince one of your equally doomed buddies to strangle you.
It is way higher than 6000 psi at 13000 feet.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's not communicating via text messages. Not sure what they're using, but radio waves barely penetrate the water. More likely some form of underwater "telephone" using sonar for voice comms or something like morse code. And the latest US Navy nuclear subs use joysticks to steer the boat. Not a video game controller, but it's still a fly-by-wire system.
Nope, saw a video of it yesterday, it is a gaming controller. The "CEO" was showing it off and tossed it off to the side and mentioned it was made to be abused by 16 yr old boys playing games. They have 3 on board total

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I listen to a guy that knew what he sound like. He knew what he was talking about and he had been in the Navy for decades. He said the problem is most sea vessels are made of titanium or some kind of steel, but this was made of a kind of plastic [to put it much too simply] and they would have a hard time getting a signal the ping off of it in that deep water.
Its actually 2 layers of titanium wrapped in carbon fiber is what they said in the video I saw yesterday

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I suspect that this video is going to hammer the CEO. I'm sure the participants signed all sorts of releases and agreed to arbitration, but I'd be scared as hell of a fact finder seeing the CEO imply that they hired for anything other than expertise.

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
Nope, saw a video of it yesterday, it is a gaming controller. The "CEO" was showing it off and tossed it off to the side and mentioned it was made to be abused by 16 yr old boys playing games. They have 3 on board total
Didn't say it wasn't a video controller. Was saying I didn't find it to be all that unusual since nuclear subs use joysticks now.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I was wondering what this "tour" cost and found this article....pretty interesting

Ocean Gate CEO statement in Nov 2022:
“At some point, safety just is pure waste. I mean, if you just want to be safe, don’t get out of bed,” he said. “Don’t get in your car. Don’t do anything. At some point, you’re going to take some risk, and it really is a risk/reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules.”

Last edited:

NashLA

May 5, 2009
It's not tethered. They release the sub and let it sink, then have to send messages from the surface of their location to guide the sub. Some reporter went down to the Titanic last year and he said in his story that the only way they communicate with the surface vessel is through TEXT MESSAGES...?!? So besides all the other red flags (can't open from the inside, no sonar equipment, a vessel controlled with a LITERAL video game control, etc.) betting my life on a text message getting through would be a big WTF to me.

Not to make a joke, but we can't always get a text to go through at DWS, and it's on the surface of the earth.
Controller linked by bluetooth, no less. As many times as my bluetooth devices lose pairing, and sometimes refuse to re-pair . . . no thank.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

patdog

May 28, 2007
So, they've detected "banging noises" and are bringing in vehicles that theoretically might have a chance of bringing this thing up from 13,000 ft. So, maybe there's a chance. Still very long odds though. Got to actually find it first. And this is over 10 times as deep as the deepest submarine rescue ever.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I suppose you could try, but there's about 6,000 psi pushing back against you. Not gonna happen.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Surface vessel sonar, and most submersible sonar to locate is not an option. The sound waves hit a thermal layer (thermocline) and is reflected or refracted. You have to get sonar below about 3500’ to scan that deep, and even then the area to look is immense.

The vastness and conditions of the North Atlantic can be brutal. I heard that right now during good weather for the area, they have 6ft seas. And don’t forget that it took researchers years to find the field of the Titanic wreck. This thing is the size of a minivan subject to strong deep water currents. They most likely will never be found.
Why ain't there 'bout a hunert similar submersibles packing sonar scanning the floor?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not positive, but I’m not sure there is a tracking device out there that can send a signal to the surface through 2 miles of water.

It probably has some radio or sonar signal that can be picked up from close proximity….but the problem is nothing can get down there.
I had a guy try to get me to invest in an antenna concept that was impervious to water and metal one time. The only issues I could find with the concept were:

1) It defied actual physics, something that the guy could not explain, but was nonetheless not deterred
2) His "prototype" was an inch tall hunk of rounded plastic with a BNC connector glued to it.

He left wondering what went wrong with his presentation...

patdog

May 28, 2007
I had a guy try to get me to invest in an antenna concept that was impervious to water and metal one time. The only issues I could find with the concept were:

1) It defied actual physics, something that the guy could not explain, but was nonetheless not deterred
2) His "prototype" was an inch tall hunk of rounded plastic with a BNC connector glued to it.

He left wondering what went wrong with his presentation...
Was this guy from Lucedale by any chance? **

Undaunted backwoods inventor claims energy generator will change world - UPI Archives

• Haha
Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
Pilot's 16 y/o kid and his friends used up the batteries on the controllers the night before the launch.

Last edited:

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
If the submarine is pressure tight, that isn't an issue. You keep the internal pressure @ or near atmospheric. At least that's the way we did it on the nuclear subs I served on.
Then I will yield to you on pressure issues. Hats off to you dude, submariners are a special breed.
Nobody is welding anything that deep, and you couldn't get them out without killing them anyway. The only rescue is to bring the sub to the surface.
Was thinking about it from the standpoint of gasses in their bloodstream that would react negatively to surface pressure. Even if brought to the surface, would they have enough oxygen to allow their bodies a return to normal? Complete ignorance admittedly, but just curious.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Then I will yield to you on pressure issues. Hats off to you dude, submariners are a special breed.

Was thinking about it from the standpoint of gasses in their bloodstream that would react negatively to surface pressure. Even if brought to the surface, would they have enough oxygen to allow their bodies a return to normal? Complete ignorance admittedly, but just curious.
Inside the sub, the pressure is normal. If they can get them to the surface, they should be ok. From what I’ve read, the biggest danger is hypothermia of the sub has lost power.

Reactions: Bulldog from Birth

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
The gases in the bloodstream effect is only an issue when your body is actually exposed to higher pressures, like scuba divers. Their bodies are actually exposed to the higher pressure below the water. That’s not the case in this submersible. Their bodies don’t experience any significant higher pressure because they are sealed up in a vessel where pressure is controlled at atmospheric pressure that’s the same as on the surface above the water.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login