OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
This looks interesting but a little to Wes Anderson-y; I see McGregor is bringing his wife (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) along for his projects and that's not a bad thing. May give this a look.
We just finished this. In some ways I did not realize there were that many black people in Russia after the revolution. But I enjoyed it

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
So, Prime's 'The Boys' and HBO's 'House of the Dragon' have returned - I haven't watched any of 'The Boys' yet, but will (sort of ready for that show to end to be honest....) but HOTD had it's S2 premiere last night and what a way to start the season! I haven't read the source material here, and have heard the terms 'Blood & Cheese' thrown around but didn't know they were names of characters. And, now I know - ugh! Anyone else watch? Thoughts? Can things get worse (I think with any GoT show the answer is yes, and it probably will). My only gripe was too little Rhaenyra....(though more Olivia Cooke is never a bad thing).

Reactions: rudedude

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
So, Prime's 'The Boys' and HBO's 'House of the Dragon' have returned - I haven't watched any of 'The Boys' yet, but will (sort of ready for that show to end to be honest....) but HOTD had it's S2 premiere last night and what a way to start the season! I haven't read the source material here, and have heard the terms 'Blood & Cheese' thrown around but didn't know they were names of characters. And, now I know - ugh! Anyone else watch? Thoughts? Can things get worse (I think with any GoT show the answer is yes, and it probably will). My only gripe was too little Rhaenyra....(though more Olivia Cooke is never a bad thing).

Reportedly, episode 4 is supposed to rank up there with The Red Wedding and Battle of The Bastards. We shall see. Many people bitching online about the Blood and Cheese episode that it wasn’t dark enough! Holy moly (spoiler alert) chopping off a kid’s head isn’t dark? 😳

• Haha

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Reportedly, episode 4 is supposed to rank up there with The Red Wedding and Battle of The Bastards. We shall see. Many people bitching online about the Blood and Cheese episode that it wasn’t dark enough! Holy moly (spoiler alert) chopping off a kid’s head isn’t dark? 😳

Yeah, I had no idea what was coming. I watch with subtitles on and it's awful ('bone crunching, sawing sounds') - ewwwww!!!!

This was good though:

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
HOTD had it's S2 premiere last night and what a way to start the season!

I'm re-watching HOTD and running a bit behind here. I loved season 1 but re-watching some of these episodes is a chore. A chore with an awesome reward.

You do pick up on some things though. Like the Sea Snake admiring the Crab Eater's mask trophy in his big throne room. Watch out man it has greyscale all over it.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I'm re-watching HOTD and running a bit behind here. I loved season 1 but re-watching some of these episodes is a chore. A chore with an awesome reward.

You do pick up on some things though. Like the Sea Snake admiring the Crab Eater's mask trophy in his big throne room. Watch out man it has greyscale all over it.

I haven't found HOTD as re-watchable as GOT, but I do love it. I listen to a 'deep dive' podcast re-cap after each episode and the hosts drop in all kinds of stuff from the books (no spoilers, just how things are different or changed) which sort of scratches that itch. HOTD moves a lot slower but like you said, awesome reward.

Reactions: ODShowtime

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I haven't found HOTD as re-watchable as GOT, but I do love it. I listen to a 'deep dive' podcast re-cap after each episode and the hosts drop in all kinds of stuff from the books (no spoilers, just how things are different or changed) which sort of scratches that itch. HOTD moves a lot slower but like you said, awesome reward.

I like how the book itself has multiple unreliable narrators, so any diversion from the book can be explained as the fog of history.

We did two really boring episodes in a row yesterday, the hunting party and the marriage to the other dragon riders. I'm hoping it's finally time jump time. How long has it been since I watched this, like 3 years?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I like how the book itself has multiple unreliable narrators, so any diversion from the book can be explained as the fog of history.

We did two really boring episodes in a row yesterday, the hunting party and the marriage to the other dragon riders. I'm hoping it's finally time jump time. How long has it been since I watched this, like 3 years?

LOL. It's been a while for sure. The aging is really noticeable on the younger kids.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
LOL. It's been a while for sure. The aging is really noticeable on the younger kids.

Final thought, before time jump, it bums me out that they're gonna take down all those cool old orgy tapestries around the Red Keep.

All they do is make kids on this show. It's like Oklahoma.

• Haha

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Anyone else fans of The Bear?

Loved the first two seasons, but this third wasn't it for me. As though they heard too much about being prestige TV and leaned into it way too hard. 10 episodes, and almost no plot movement at all, too many montages and efforts by the director to show off skills rather than story. A single episode that breaks away from the storyline like the Christmas episode in season 2 is great. This season that was more than half the episodes it seemed. Hopefully season 4 returns to what it was before.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Anyone else fans of The Bear?

Loved the first two seasons, but this third wasn't it for me. As though they heard too much about being prestige TV and leaned into it way too hard. 10 episodes, and almost no plot movement at all, too many montages and efforts by the director to show off skills rather than story. A single episode that breaks away from the storyline like the Christmas episode in season 2 is great. This season that was more than half the episodes it seemed. Hopefully season 4 returns to what it was before.
No plot development? How about the stress Carmy is putting on everyone changing the menu daily? How about his uncle coming in and telling him the finances aren’t working, how about getting a restaurant review that could make or break him? Camry facing his own demons from his past? It was nice to see some of the character fleshed out more with where they came from, IMO. I thought the first episode was great as well as the one with Jamie Lee Curtis as her daughter was in labor. I just enjoy the variety of characters in this show.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Anyone tuning into S4 of The Boys? Wow, this show is whack and each episode keeps upping the ante. E6 was friggin nuts! Gimp suits, breast milk, and Hughie doing his own version of the “squat cobbler”!

Reactions: wbcbus

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
No plot development? How about the stress Carmy is putting on everyone changing the menu daily? How about his uncle coming in and telling him the finances aren’t working, how about getting a restaurant review that could make or break him? Camry facing his own demons from his past? It was nice to see some of the character fleshed out more with where they came from, IMO. I thought the first episode was great as well as the one with Jamie Lee Curtis as her daughter was in labor. I just enjoy the variety of characters in this show.

What you're describing sounds like an episode to me, not an entire season. And "Carmy facing his own demons from the past" gets tiresome when it's on the third season of that same thing with him having advanced in dealing with them approximately not at all. He doesn't try to make things right with Clare, he's not treating anyone working for him any better despite reflecting on how awful Joel McHale treated him, he's not really listening to Sydney and taking her input into the decisions. A season is approximately 7.5 hours of program, the main plot being a pending review, and after a full season we don't even really know whether it was good or bad (they showed a mix of words that could go either way).

I thought the first episode was great as well. I also loved Doors. Personally I hate the Jamie Lee Curtis episode. It gave me no further insight than the Christmas episode that already fleshed out who she is and why the kids are screwed up. Maybe there was some resolution between them, but I didn't need 45 minutes of labor to get there, and unless she's now getting medicated and seeing a psychiatrist, that's fleeting with her mother anyway.

It just felt like a lot of standalone episodes, too many episodes that are 100% backstory or side story. Obviously it's subjective, glad to hear you really enjoyed it. It's still better than 95% of television, I just didn't like the difference in direction this season.

Reactions: rudedude

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021

You may already be on these, but really enjoy the Ringer collections of pods: the Prestige TV pod, The Watch, and The Rewatchables.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Anyone tuning into S4 of The Boys? Wow, this show is whack and each episode keeps upping the ante. E6 was friggin nuts! Gimp suits, breast milk, and Hughie doing his own version of the “squat cobbler”!

I think I only got about halfway through season 2 before I stopped watching. Wasn't that I didn't like it, just that I wasn't that drawn into watching more and I kind of forgot to keep going. Once I remembered, I didn't care to go back.

I started watching Justified last night with the wife. I know it's not prestige tv, but I always hear people saying good things.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
I think I only got about halfway through season 2 before I stopped watching. Wasn't that I didn't like it, just that I wasn't that drawn into watching more and I kind of forgot to keep going. Once I remembered, I didn't care to go back.

I started watching Justified last night with the wife. I know it's not prestige tv, but I always hear people saying good things.
Justified = great series

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Justified is tremendous. It has longer seasons which can make for some less than stellar ‘filler’ episodes but the acting and chemistry of the cast is elite. Top Ten all time for me.