OT: Trump is announcing his VP pick today. Who will it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
"They wanted to overturn the last election. Next time, they will. Why shouldn't we be wary of that?"
Open borders and a reluctance to require voter ID's and proof of citizenship for everyone to vote. Why shouldn't we be wary of that ?
Maybe you should be, but start by being honest about it. For the easier one, Dems are fine with Voter ID, but not by using it as an excuse to make it harder for people to vote. If the Voter ID proposal says a bingo card is proof of ID but a college ID isnt....let's be honest of why someone would write that into a bill and whether someone else should support it. Let's be honest about the outliers, about what documentation requirements do to homeless people and others.

My grandfather, WW2 veteren, typical MS background for the time, old school southern Dem who switched to GOP, would not have been able to vote under most of these laws. Because 1920s MS was not exactly the best for record keeping. Very late in life, it was discovered that the birthdate on his SS card did not match what he always thought it was. That is enough to throw keep his vote from counting under most of these proposals, and I'm just not for that. You have to account for this stuff, and these bills just don't.

So maybe ask Dems what they would need to support the bills, instead of assuming?

Let's also be honest about the scope of the problem Voter ID is trying to solve, and if there are other problems that deserve addressing more. i care a ton more about voting machines running on Windows 95 than I do about Voter ID. And it's pretty crappy to say I want illegals to vote because of that valid position.

For open borders, I am against all immigration. ALL. But let's be honest, both sides want the cheap workers.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
They wanted to overturn the last election. Next time, they will. Why shouldn't we be wary of that?
Okay, let’s see what happens when your candidate has an election stolen in broad daylight when 5 “independent” swing states get together and commit election fraud in concert. I’m sure you and your lefty loonies will be “mostly peaceful”.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Okay, let’s see what happens when your candidate has an election stolen in broad daylight when 5 “independent” swing states get together and commit election fraud in concert. I’m sure you and your lefty loonies will be “mostly peaceful”.
When they tell you who they are, believe them.....

As for your question, AL Gore answered it for you. He conceded for the sake of the country.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

As for your question, AL Gore answered it for you. He conceded for the sake of the country.
Wow. That’s weak even for you. 2000 was stolen…. Got it.*******

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024

Except Bush actually won. Rust Belt Dems bypassed their State Legislatures to find a judge to approve mailing out ballots to every swinging dick on outdated voter rolls instead of the voter sending in a request for one like they had to before. What could go wrong there? Have you seen the same day VS mail in vote totals in the Rust Belt?

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Probably was. Media analysis of votes after the fact was that it was.

Regardless, what we know happened is the SC violated their own supposed beliefs and stuck their nose in to tell the state of Florida how to count its votes. That should be a problem. Gore absolutely could have made an issue of it. He didn't, he conceded. You have your answer. And I have mine (only GOP gets to decide who won. We have a word for that).

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Except Bush actually won. Rust Belt Dems bypassed their State Legislatures to find a judge to approve mailing out ballots to every swinging dick on outdated voter rolls instead of the voter sending in a request for one like they had to before. What could go wrong there? Have you seen the same day VS mail in vote totals in the Rust Belt?
Except he didn't. But sure.

State laws allow judges to be part of the process. And their constitutions. There's a reason no challenge got anywhere in court. Courts that your side owns.

This is a reasonable-ness test. You're failing.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would say that if he picks a black man, he would lose a lot of his base, but honestly his base has no choices beyond Trump at this point, so it might work for him. Zero chance of him picking Scott in my opinion, but in case nobody noticed, I'm not that close to Trump...
Don't really agree with that. There are staunch black conservatives. Scott, Robinson just to name a couple that are very popular with the base.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Hillbilly Elegy
Explain to me why groups like the Patriot Front and Vanguard America are MAGA people? At a minimum, Trump does nothing to dissuade it. I'd love to be wrong but I really think that Obama broke some of these people's brains when we "lost" our country to a black man.
Dude where do you get this crap from? All of it? Where do you live? You may need to get a therapist and move.

"As bad as I think it'll be"
Bad how? We have evidence that it won't be bad. Calm down. It's gonna be ok.

I'm sorry you're having mental issues & that's nothing to laugh about, so please get the help you need. I'll be praying for you. God Bless & good luck!

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You claimed the 2020 election was stolen in broad daylight because 5 states collaborated together to commit election fraud, which is something that has absolutely 0 evidence of happening, yet his comment was weak?

At least say it was stolen in broad nightlight since it changed overnight.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
I’ve been thinking Ben Carson for months. So I’ll stick with that guess.
Carson checks sooo many boxes.

1. Not a white male
2. Extremely loyal guy. He will not put his interests above others. Trump values this absolutely.
3. His humility balances Trump’s brashness. He’s a very likable guy.
4. He’s a candidate traditional Republicans and MAGA Republicans can both get behind. Lots of the options will be unsettling to one side or the other.
5. He doesn’t take a Republican out of an important current position they hold.
6. Doesn’t create the issue of two people on the ticket from the same state, like Rubio or DeSantis creates.
7. He was in Trump’s first administration start to finish.
8. I think most Republicans and independents could see him stepping into the role as POTUS if Trump didn’t finish his term.

It ALL points to Ben Carson to me.

• Haha
Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Except he didn't. But sure.

State laws allow judges to be part of the process. And their constitutions. There's a reason no challenge got anywhere in court. Courts that your side owns.

This is a reasonable-ness test. You're failing.
17 that. It was a big dump on democracy move. Are you dumb enough to believe voter safety was why they did this? Okay to go to liquor and grocery stores but voting and Church dangerous? Ever seen polling stations stop reporting numbers at 11pm then in the a.m Team Biden flips the Rust Belt? After OH had gone 8% Trump? None of those dogs hunt.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
You claimed the 2020 election was stolen in broad daylight because 5 states collaborated together to commit election fraud, which is something that has absolutely 0 evidence of happening, yet his comment was weak?

Bill Barr says there’s zero evidence of this. The actual facts of the situation and the timelines of what happened and when are all the evidence anybody person with half a brain needs to see.

Congrats on having maybe at least half a brain, I guess? 🤷‍♂️

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
17 that. It was a big dump on democracy move. Are you dumb enough to believe voter safety was why they did this? Okay to go to liquor and grocery stores but voting and Church dangerous? Ever seen polling stations stop reporting numbers at 11pm then in the a.m Team Biden flips the Rust Belt? After OH had gone 8% Trump? None of those dogs hunt.
Still failing.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
There is a report that the Rubio camp is saying he will not be the VP. My pick would be Gabbard but think it will be one of Vance, Haley or Noem.

LIdawg1157

Apr 19, 2021
I would like to see how many have even heard of Burgum before he was brought up as a VP candidate. Example : I know we aren't known to be great spellers but I've seen his name spelled several different ways in this thread. LOL
He’s the new Mullens and Strickland. I like his background and he has a good record as a Governor for the record

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

When one side goes out of their way to make cheating much easier, it doesn't really help to say the other side can't prove cheating actually happened.

I don't have any strong opinion on how much fraud there was, but the standard that both sides should aspire to in elections is "the avoidance of an appearance of impropriety". If Democrats really thought January 6th was bad, and not just an good political tool for them, they would want to reassure people regarding the integrity of elections and push for best practices. That would be some combination of paper ballots (they can still be counted electronically), voter ID, some reasonably constrained voting period (doesn't have to be one day, but shouldn't be longer than one week), reasonable control over ballots (i.e., no mass mailouts; have people actually ask for the ballot they receive), and/or personal appearance required for absentee voting absent being overseas for government/military employment. It would also include not pushing to make it easier for illegal immigrants to vote in federal or local elections.

That avoidance of an appearance of impropriety is not just for elections. It would help turn down the temperature on a lot of political stuff if people aimed for that in government in general. No hope for applying it to campaign donations because a lot of that is cover for impropriety or at best they are giving money to somebody that they already know agrees with them on whatever their most important issue is (or issues are), but it would certainly reduce people questioning election results.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Friends in Ohio tell me JD just got picked up by the Trump motorcade.

Not sure why... He's not true MAGA.

He'll undercut Trump worse than Prissy Pence.

Shoulda gone with Scott or Noem.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Heard Youngkin is a pretty good outside shooter. I think we get him in as a SG, and at 6'5" for a reasonable amount of NIL money. Good value!

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Friends in Ohio tell me JD just got picked up by the Trump motorcade.

Not sure why... He's not true MAGA.

He'll undercut Trump worse than Prissy Pence.

Shoulda gone with Scott or Noem.
Noem would be terrible. Pretty for a politician but she's a cheap date and sold out too early for too little.

Scott I think would be fine. Not a big fan of republicans that will slander a fellow republican because it's politically expedient in the short term (not really a fan of politicians slandering anybody, but I guess that's too much to ask for if you want to have a preference for a presidential and vice president candidate), but I guess he's fine otherwise? Has a great personal story to tell. Helps blunt some of the ridiculous racism claims but those aren't really constrained by reality anyway; maybe we're advancing enough that just trying to paint him as an uncle tom will be offensive to more people?

Don't know a lot about Vance outside of him having military service and coming from a formerly well off family that basically frittered it away with bad decisions starting with his parents generation (or maybe grandparents?).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Bennie Thompson in appreciation of what his ex-staffer posted. **

(In all seriousness, someone from the Midwest.)

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
When one side goes out of their way to make cheating much easier, it doesn't really help to say the other side can't prove cheating actually happened.

I don't have any strong opinion on how much fraud there was, but the standard that both sides should aspire to in elections is "the avoidance of an appearance of impropriety". If Democrats really thought January 6th was bad, and not just an good political tool for them, they would want to reassure people regarding the integrity of elections and push for best practices. That would be some combination of paper ballots (they can still be counted electronically), voter ID, some reasonably constrained voting period (doesn't have to be one day, but shouldn't be longer than one week), reasonable control over ballots (i.e., no mass mailouts; have people actually ask for the ballot they receive), and/or personal appearance required for absentee voting absent being overseas for government/military employment. It would also include not pushing to make it easier for illegal immigrants to vote in federal or local elections.
Everything Dems have asked for, and Republicans have rebuffed. Except for a national holiday for voting, and same day registration (no reason not to when you've done the rest....well other than to game the vote).
That avoidance of an appearance of impropriety is not just for elections. It would help turn down the temperature on a lot of political stuff if people aimed for that in government in general. No hope for applying it to campaign donations because a lot of that is cover for impropriety or at best they are giving money to somebody that they already know agrees with them on whatever their most important issue is (or issues are), but it would certainly reduce people questioning election results.
Waiting on the GOP to offer it. Dems have already been there.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't like the choices, but I'm not troubled by them. Things that are true:

1) Biden is old and showing his age; so is Trump

2) Harris is not inspiring or particularly scary

3) Neither Biden or Harris are liked by the progressive end of the party and that's a good thing, because Biden, as we know, has a long political track record. I do realize that not many people are into facts these days, but he is mostly known as a moderate deal maker, which is why progressives hate him as a candidate. You could look at his actual voting record for decades and see this clearly.

4) Harris is not dissimilar to Biden in having a record of being moderate. I think that is what hurts their ticket, they are very similar other than race/gender/age.

5) I sincerely believe that Trump, and what he has built behind him is a threat to our union.

6) I sincerely think that the Democratic party is a threat to bring policies that I don't agree with, but because of their moderate records, Biden/Harris are the least of that threat.

7) I will take a policy threat over a threat to democracy on the hopes that at some point, the parties field more viable candidates and we purge this nationalistic movement that has far right crazies with an outsized voice in our nation (and really this is a theme around the world)

8) I sincerely believe that Trump has broken the republican party beyond repair.

9) I sincerely hope that if Trump wins, it is not as bad as I think it will be. I fear that it will be worse.

10) You asked.

Its good to see, after your truly impressive performance in the Trump "fake" shooting thread, that you are still willing to get tons of your thoughts out there.

I won't be subjecting myself to them anymore, but good for you. Mental health is a journey.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Vance is extremely intelligent and very well spoken....and as Rush used to say..... he'd beat Kamala in a debate with one half of his brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login