OT: Visit to the Gulf

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
- Over the years I've seen numerous Sixpackers mention Joe Patti seafood market in Pensacola anytime going to the beach comes up. I was in the neighborhood a while back and decided to stop in - man, that's just the coolest place. I couldn't believe the selection, not to mention the great prices, cleanliness, and fantastic folks working there. I'll absolutely be back anytime I'm in the area - good looking out, dawgs.

- Also visited the Naval Aviation Museum at the Naval Air base, which is just a few minutes away. Great way to spend a couple hours indoors, lots of interesting planes and artifacts, and free admission. Highly recommended.

- Did I stop at Donna's #6 on the way back for some boiled peanuts? You bet your asss.

- How people just sit on the beach for 10 hours a day for a solid week I'll never know; I guess it makes them happy.

1723643855175.png

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I enjoy the beach most at sunrise and sunset. I can sometimes compromise and join the family that does enjoy it by sitting under a shade source with a book, music source and full cooler within reach and short visits to the water to drain my "keg". A pool is much better though with the same accomodations

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
- Over the years I've seen numerous Sixpackers mention Joe Patti seafood market in Pensacola anytime going to the beach comes up. I was in the neighborhood a while back and decided to stop in - man, that's just the coolest place. I couldn't believe the selection, not to mention the great prices, cleanliness, and fantastic folks working there. I'll absolutely be back anytime I'm in the area - good looking out, dawgs.

- Also visited the Naval Aviation Museum at the Naval Air base, which is just a few minutes away. Great way to spend a couple hours indoors, lots of interesting planes and artifacts, and free admission. Highly recommended.

- Did I stop at Donna's #6 on the way back for some boiled peanuts? You bet your asss.

- How people just sit on the beach for 10 hours a day for a solid week I'll never know; I guess it makes them happy.

View attachment 627007
Very happy. My wife and I sit on the beach with no umbrella for 5 to 6 hours at least one day every weekend on the MS Coast. When we go to Florida we spend every waking moment on the beach, brought our kids up that way and they hate going to the beach with friends because they only want to spend a few hours at the beach and then shop and pool. I don't know, I guess I was brought up that way too. It was Grenada Lake back then though.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

View attachment 627007
I never do it for a week because it makes much more sense to do small trips, but if it was a long drive or flight and I only got to do it once a year, I think I could and would want to do it for the whole week. Judging from the fact that people in Jackson and places further north put 30A or whatever beach stickers on their car, I assume they pretty much look forward to it all year. I would want to spend as much time on the beach as possible if that's the case.

Reactions: dorndawg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Very happy. My wife and I sit on the beach with no umbrella for 5 to 6 hours at least one day every weekend on the MS Coast. When we go to Florida we spend every waking moment on the beach, brought our kids up that way and they hate going to the beach with friends because they only want to spend a few hours at the beach and then shop and pool. I don't know, I guess I was brought up that way too. It was Grenada Lake back then though.
I love the beach. I hate sand.

Do beach lovers just love that gritty feeling on all your stuff, in your clothes, eyes, hair, asscrack, or are you out there tolerating it better than me because you love the sun and the breeze so much? I've always wondered that.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012

Do beach lovers just love that gritty feeling on all your stuff, in your clothes, eyes, hair, asscrack, or are you out there tolerating it better than me because you love the sun and the breeze so much? I've always wondered that.
I don't know I guess just used to it, it's in our cars always. I have a big cup I bring to work with me every morning for water, it has sand on the bottom of it right now.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I think unless you are carting around a child that's getting sand all over you, you're just doing it wrong? If I'm not getting in the water, basically I get sandy feet with a little bit of sand on my legs beneath my knees. If I get it in my hands, I can get it off pretty easily wading in and washing my hands off.

If you're getting in the water, as long as you're not in the surf right at the shore, you shouldn't be getting sand in your clothes or ***.

I don't know if I'm just accustomed to it or don't have sensitive skin, but the salt just doesn't bother me. Doesn't feel noticeably different than when you air dry after breaking a sweat.

The sand that tracks back to the car or condo you just clean the best you can and then tolerate it until you can completely get rid of it.

Reactions: TimberBeast

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I think unless you are carting around a child that's getting sand all over you, you're just doing it wrong? If I'm not getting in the water, basically I get sandy feet with a little bit of sand on my legs beneath my knees. If I get it in my hands, I can get it off pretty easily wading in and washing my hands off.

If you're getting in the water, as long as you're not in the surf right at the shore, you shouldn't be getting sand in your clothes or ***.

I don't know if I'm just accustomed to it or don't have sensitive skin, but the salt just doesn't bother me. Doesn't feel noticeably different than when you air dry after breaking a sweat.

The sand that tracks back to the car or condo you just clean the best you can and then tolerate it until you can completely get rid of it.
Yes, for me it's always with kids. I'm sure I wouldn't have sand all over if I wasn't taking them, because we're constantly playing sports, attempting to body surf, digging holes, or doing some sort of asscrack-filling activity... also if I didn't have them with me I definitely wouldn't have much sand on me because I'd be at the pool bar anyway.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Did you get the beignets? They are so good.

We lived here for 8 years before going to the NAS museum and regretted not doing it sooner. We had no idea it was so nice.

As far as the beach I have to do something. I cannot sit there for 6 hours reading a book. Kayaking, fishing, snorkeling, playing sports in the water, or at the beach bar, I have to do something.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Been going to beach 40+ years.
Ms Skip and I couldn’t get enough so we retired, sold home in Tupelo and moved to Orange Beach
Sand in garage, sand in vehicles, sand in coolers.
Couldn’t love it better,
But to each his own
This is very accurate. We have sand everywhere. Rubber floor mats are priceless as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: skipperDawg

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023

We lived here for 8 years before going to the NAS museum and regretted not doing it sooner. We had no idea it was so nice.

As far as the beach I have to do something. I cannot sit there for 6 hours reading a book. Kayaking, fishing, snorkeling, playing sports in the water, or at the beach bar, I have to do something.
Let me introduce you to ladder ball

Reactions: BigBully

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Beignets at Joe Patti? NOPE, sounds like I have a reason to go back

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I get my fill of beach in a few hours. I think my kids and wife would be happy out there pretty much all day, multiple days. Though the kids are just as happy at the pool.
We’ve never been for a whole week, maybe 4 nights.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I never do it for a week because it makes much more sense to do small trips, but if it was a long drive or flight and I only got to do it once a year, I think I could and would want to do it for the whole week. Judging from the fact that people in Jackson and places further north put 30A or whatever beach stickers on their car, I assume they pretty much look forward to it all year. I would want to spend as much time on the beach as possible if that's the case.
I just have to roll my eyes when I see families every summer on FB spending thousands of dollars on putt putt, Wonderworks, Titanic Museum and all that tourist crap when they go to the Smokies, Panama City, etc.

I made it a point to tell me kids beforehand, there will be no begging for this and that, we are going to spend time in nature not blow money at boo sheet traps.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If I have a week, I like two good solid beach days with walks or jogs in the morning mixed in.

That's more than enough sun, sand and salt water for me.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If you’re going back to Joe Pattys and taking a cooler anyway, go to The Butcher Shoppe up near the airport. It’s to beef and pork what Joe Patty’s is to seafood.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If I can't fish, no reason to go to the beach. I did go a little for the kids and my wife a bit, but always brought a fishing rod.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdawg22

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
If you’re going back to Joe Pattys and taking a cooler anyway, go to The Butcher Shoppe up near the airport. It’s to beef and pork what Joe Patty’s is to seafood.
Excited Lets Go GIF

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
If I can't fish, no reason to go to the beach. I did go a little for the kids and my wife a bit, but always brought a fishing rod.
That’s why I like where I live. Navarre Beach and Opal on National Island Seashore have ample space for fishing.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’m one that could hang out on the beach all day. I love it. My retirement plan will definitely include a beach house (well just near the beach).

Joe Patti’s is great. Pensacola is great in my opinion. We have kind of settled in Destin because there is a little more kid friendly things there but before kids my wife and I went to Pensacola often. Definitely an overlooked spot. Seems everyone I know does Destin or orange beach.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I’m one that could hang out on the beach all day. I love it. My retirement plan will definitely include a beach house (well just near the beach).

Joe Patti’s is great. Pensacola is great in my opinion. We have kind of settled in Destin because there is a little more kid friendly things there but before kids my wife and I went to Pensacola often. Definitely an overlooked spot. Seems everyone I know does Destin or orange beach.
I really wish we’d get a waterpark. Laguna’s is getting better with their ropes course and go karts but Pensacola Beach doesn’t have a ton for kids to do.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login