OT: what is up with Tate and Medicaid expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You are correct, but what is also correct is the US has a much worse healthcare system.

Almost anyone that gets sick and can’t work will go bankrupt because they no longer can afford insurance and … get it! No matter how good you think u are set up? A few extra hundred grand in bills add up quick when you can’t work and the bills don’t stop.
Honestly dude, that is exactly what bankruptcy is for. Our system is no better or no worse than the others....except there is no better system in the world once you actually get sick. Our outcomes there are light years ahead of the erroneously labeled universal systems in Europe, and are pretty much the best in the world. All that is needed is to do some real investigation when it comes to our system vs the so called universal systems. I honestly don't know what is better. All I know is that neither side actually has the courage to talk about what the real differences are. Given what we are and who we are, ours works better for us than the erroneously called universal systems would. Our main problem when it comes to healthcare statistics is lifestyle choice. If you ever go to Europe, just look at the people. You don't even have to talk to them, just look at them. That's about all you need to know.

Reactions: HeCannotGo

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My aunt would have died Tuesday if Tyler Homes was closed Tuesday in Why-known-Er They stabilized her and started life saving treatments before being choppered to Memphis.
We need rural hospitals dummy
Then why not one in Holcomb, Carrollton or Vaiden? Where does it end? There can't be a hospital in every town, sorry and glad she's ok, but that's just reality.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Honestly dude, that is exactly what bankruptcy is for. Our system is no better or no worse than the others....except there is no better system in the world once you actually get sick. Our outcomes there are light years ahead of the erroneously labeled universal systems in Europe, and are pretty much the best in the world. All that is needed is to do some real investigation when it comes to our system vs the so called universal systems. I honestly don't know what is better. All I know is that neither side actually has the courage to talk about what the real differences are. Given what we are and who we are, ours works better for us than the erroneously called universal systems would. Our main problem when it comes to healthcare statistics is lifestyle choice. If you ever go to Europe, just look at the people. You don't even have to talk to them, just look at them. That's about all you need to know.
This isn't true: "Our outcomes there are light years ahead of the erroneously labeled universal systems in Europe, and are pretty much the best in the world."

We have some better, but not light years better, outcomes depending on which system you examine and only if you don't examine the private medical practices as well. Europe is better as some other things. It's a tradeoff. As someone who goes to Europe several times a year, I have no concerns about getting great healthcare. A buddy, an America, recently had an emergency appendectomy in Amsterdam and had to pay a modest amount. No wait, no hassle not bs. We have really good doctors and good healthcare but it's incredibly expensive. We also have, if studies are accurate, over 200,000 deaths annually from medical errors in hospitals. I'm not a cheerleader for one system over the other and I'm not afraid of national healthcare with a private alternative. I'm not scared to get a procedure in Europe although, knock on wood, I haven't had to.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
This is true: "If you ever go to Europe, just look at the people. You don't even have to talk to them, just look at them. That's about all you need to know." I typically drop a few pounds if I'm more than a week in Europe and it's not because I watch what I eat. I limit taxi and Uber use and just walk as long as the weather is nice. I wake up earlier than usual but I enjoy the experience. Europeans are a lot leaner than Americans and it's still weird to me to see middle class and upper-class euros smoking.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Nope. Do a little digging. Medicaid does not even cover the actual cost of treatment. Providers lose actual money on every Medicaid patient they see. Explain to me how that is going to save a struggling hospital. This is aimed at the working poor, many of whom have insurance now, albeit not very good insurance. Even those bad plans pay providers better than Medicaid.
Because right now that same care is uncompensated. Do some digging.

Most of the working poor can't afford premiums and deductibles. Do some digging.

Providers "lose" money on Medicaid patients only by their ridiculous price claims that say a single Tylenol costs $300. Do some digging.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This isn't true: "Our outcomes there are light years ahead of the erroneously labeled universal systems in Europe, and are pretty much the best in the world."

We have some better, but not light years better, outcomes depending on which system you examine and only if you don't examine the private medical practices as well. Europe is better as some other things. It's a tradeoff. As someone who goes to Europe several times a year, I have no concerns about getting great healthcare. A buddy, an America, recently had an emergency appendectomy in Amsterdam and had to pay a modest amount. No wait, no hassle not bs. We have really good doctors and good healthcare but it's incredibly expensive. We also have, if studies are accurate, over 200,000 deaths annually from medical errors in hospitals. I'm not a cheerleader for one system over the other and I'm not afraid of national healthcare with a private alternative. I'm not scared to get a procedure in Europe although, knock on wood, I haven't had to.
They have high quality care in most places. They also ration a lot of it by slot numbers and very strict conditions for a lot of treatments. It's just different way of rationing. We ration too of course. I don't know which is better. Oh and they pay for it, again in a much different way.
As for the errors, they make them over there too. If you really want to get a feel for healthcare in another country, find you a smaller local news source in an area you are interested in. Watch or read it daily. They report the stories that the governments and the major sources don't. I follow there or four in the UK. Their NHS isn't all it's touted to be.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
They have high quality care in most places. They also ration a lot of it by slot numbers and very strict conditions for a lot of treatments. It's just different way of rationing. We ration too of course. I don't know which is better. Oh and they pay for it, again in a much different way.
As for the errors, they make them over there too. If you really want to get a feel for healthcare in another country, find you a smaller local news source in an area you are interested in. Watch or read it daily. They report the stories that the governments and the major sources don't. I follow there or four in the UK. Their NHS isn't all it's touted to be.
"lightyears" was the issue I had. The NHS isn't as good as the French or Dutch system or German system. Europeans aren't about to adopt the American system. I'm not sure if there is any significant population currently with a version of universal healthcare who would adopt our system. NHS is still popular in the UK, btw, even with all the complaints.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The healthcare system in the US sucks big time. Greatest country in the world my ***. We spend more on healthcare than anyone and get worse care than any wealthy country.
Insurance keeps 48 cents of every dollar. That is a waste of $$&.

Healthcare can remain for profit business provided just eliminate insurance companies from skimming half the money off the top. But but the insurance jobs… labor shortages solved. Those insurance sales people will have to actually work.
We spend a LOT more money on healthcare than anyone else in the world. And by every quantitive measure, our results are average at best for a 1st world country.

our outcomes, compared to Europe, are mediocre at best. And that’s being very generous.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We spend a LOT more money on healthcare than anyone else in the world. And by every quantitive measure, our results are average at best for a 1st world country.

our outcomes, compared to Europe, are mediocre at best. And that’s being very generous.
Outcome once you are sick and in the system are better here. That is a statistic you have to dig to find. We are WAY better at things like cancer. The outcome stats you actually see are the ones that include a lot of things that aren't really medical. They are way better at keeping people healthy and out of the system than we are. Again, all you have to do is look at them and watch how they live to see why. They eat less and walk more. Those are the ones that are immediately apparent.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Because right now that same care is uncompensated. Do some digging.

Most of the working poor can't afford premiums and deductibles. Do some digging.

Providers "lose" money on Medicaid patients only by their ridiculous price claims that say a single Tylenol costs $300. Do some digging.
Why do you start political threads when you get so pissed when someone has a conservative viewpoint that counters your liberal nonsense?

Do some digging.

Reactions: HeCannotGo

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Why do you start political threads when you get so pissed when someone has a conservative viewpoint that counters your liberal nonsense?

Do some digging.
L4 and his decades-old BS is not something I give much slack to. I'm not pissed, just long past patience for his trolling. His comments were dumb and I slapped them down as quickly and harshly as possible, because he never offers new viewpoints and trolls in his responses rather than learn, concede, or discuss ANYTHING. You're the only one who got pissed.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
L4 and his decades-old BS is not something I give much slack to. I'm not pissed, just long past patience for his trolling. His comments were dumb and I slapped them down as quickly and harshly as possible, because he never offers new viewpoints and trolls in his responses rather than learn, concede, or discuss ANYTHING. You're the only one who got pissed.

L4 and his decades-old BS is not something I give much slack to. I'm not pissed, just long past patience for his trolling. His comments were dumb and I slapped them down as quickly and harshly as possible, because he never offers new viewpoints and trolls in his responses rather than learn, concede, or discuss ANYTHING. You're the only one w
Not pissed. Just an observation.

TOS has an OT forum to separate this nonsense from the Sports topics.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010

No, it’s not all you need to know, how about life expectancy? US has been in a free fall for decades. We spend more than anyone on health care and get worse results than most any wealthy country. Heaven forbid you are out of work for an illness and you have never worked the system.

Marler

Apr 9, 2017
I will say I know very little about this. I have never seen a government program run well. Everyone keeps talking about how the federal government pays this. Where do you think those federal $ come from

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Only 10 states are left I think and that's declining, so it's going to eventually happen.
True, the Bible does say the world will eventually be a one world government under one notorious evil dictator.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I will say I know very little about this. I have never seen a government program run well. Everyone keeps talking about how the federal government pays this. Where do you think those federal $ come from
Is this military run well? Social Security? Medicare?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
This is similar to my views. What works best and costs less. We don't live in a utopia. Here's a study that says the loss of Medicaid dollars increased crime. It's not the only study to indicate that government support, even modest payments to poor people, reduces crime and is cheaper than using our judicial system to punish criminal behavior. For me it's what's cheapest and works reasonably well enough rather than what do conservatives or what do liberals support because we don't all agree on what the meaning of "fair" is.

Reactions: dudehead
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login