OT - which one of you meanies in Cleveland

Maroon Pug

Nov 5, 2022
If the daughter is under 50 y/o, then yes. Its right on the Tourney pamplet.

But, if your tournament has never had a "men's only" label and you pull a statement like: "We dont want to open that can of worms" (for letting a woman compete), you deserve every ounce of mud that is being slung in your direction...

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
My wife asked me last night if this had been discussed on sixpack.
More details: The only reason this wasn’t cleared up when Lauren submitted the application is because the club thought she was applying to make sandwiches at the turn or drive the drink cart in a very short skirt. Once that innocent but mistaken assumption was clarified, the club respectfully told her “sorry, ma’am. This is for men to have a good time, we don’t need your buzz cut bringing down the mood. Take care, dear.” The club remained very polite throughout the whole political stunt.

the mother’s reaction proves the socially militant vibe runs deep in this in this family, and the club made the correct decision to deny their Subaru entry to the property.

When all was said and done, good times were had by all this past weekend, and I can report the sandwiches and drink carts were more than acceptable.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not let someone's precious daughter play in a golf tourney? Mamma bear is mad!

What a bunch of backwards rubes. I hope they get a double ration of **** for being the way that they are.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
So when they have a ladies only tournament, can a bunch of dudes sign up?
I think that they lacked in the declaration of who it was for. It was not labeled as being "only" for any sex, hence the confusion. This doesn't read like some culture warrior trying to cause issues, or I'd be on the CCC side. It reads like a bunch of out of touch old guys who should have not said a word about it and then named the tournament for next year with clarity that it is a men's tourney. Nobody would have batted an eye about either thing except a few old guys clutching pearls at CCC because a girl was playing and some bruised egos when she beat some of them from the men's tees.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I would say this is a bad look and potentially detrimental to the future of the country club…. But I doubt the Cleveland country club has a robust pipeline of new applicants anyway.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yeah, thats not a great look since the tournament doesnt say its only for a specific age or gender.
Banning her, even though she would play from the same tees, simple due to a woman never playing before is on par. <pun!

Reactions: Dawgg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
More details: The only reason this wasn’t cleared up when Lauren submitted the application is because the club thought she was applying to make sandwiches at the turn or drive the drink cart in a very short skirt.
You need to post this response on JJ

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
But daddy didn’t stand up for her, momma had to go to Facebook. Dad probably took this as what it is, no big deal, but momma is desperate for attention and has the internet.
Don’t lie… you’re the guy at the country club that made the decision not to let her play?

I’m sure it pissed the dad off and I’m sure he told the people at the country club that. I also doubt the mom’s intention was about getting attention for herself but rather to attempt to embarrass the country club.

Stuff like this is to be expected at a country club though. The whole point of a country club is to have a certain type of person/family in it… and that’s why they are a dying model.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
They should have just let the young lady sub in and play. However I feel the woman/husband is being disingenuous because everyone knows the tournament is for men.

Women are allowed to play there and are members and have their own tournaments.

MGA held the junior's tournament there last week. Young ladies played and were well supported.

Side note....I played the course for the first time Monday, a week ago. I was surprised Cleveland had a course that nice with nice houses surrounding it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Don’t lie… you’re the guy at the country club that made the decision not to let her play?

I’m sure it pissed the dad off and I’m sure he told the people at the country club that. I also doubt the mom’s intention was about getting attention for herself but rather to attempt to embarrass the country club.

Stuff like this is to be expected at a country club though. The whole point of a country club is to have a certain type of person/family in it… and that’s why they are a dying model.
Thanks, Lauren’s dad. Does your wife always fight your battles on Facebook?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I think the whole thing is a lot funnier than our baseball coaching and recruiting threads or the Omaha cheering guides we’re not part.
You can make jokes about it but the situation is clearly personal for you. I’d bet anything you were part of the decision making. If you felt the right decision was made, then there is not really much reason to justify it.

I don’t really think anyone is in the wrong here. I’m sure it was always understood that it’s a men’s tournament and there is nothing wrong with that. But the golf course could have relayed that sooner that a day or so before the tournament, so I understand the family’s frustration as well.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
You can make jokes about it but the situation is clearly personal for you. I’d bet anything you were part of the decision making. If you felt the right decision was made, then there is not really much reason to justify it.

I don’t really think anyone is in the wrong here. I’m sure it was always understood that it’s a men’s tournament and there is nothing wrong with that. But the golf course could have relayed that sooner that a day or so before the tournament, so I understand the family’s frustration as well.
The tournament is 37 years old. Article says husband played in it for four years. He knew it was a men's tournament.