OT - White Trash Food Peculiarities

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006

This is a part of my cookbook library. Some of the recipes are excellent but you have to substitute the meat in several of them.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
My great grandmother lived in Hatchie Bottom in NE Mississippi - about 10 miles east of Ripley. She would make poke salad. I never tried it because I was always told it was poisonous, but she sure did love it.
I had poke "salat" once. Had neighbors that would forage for it in summer. I probably ran over a metric ton of it with the lawnmover.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I’ve often wondered why my grandmother made biscuits with salmon gravy. Now I know - thanks. One of my faves growing up, though.

Never heard of or seen Mayo on peas, but my sister and several Aunts load up their Lima beans with ketchup.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
As I was eating supper (dinner for you fancy boys) and enjoying mayo mixed into my black eyed peas, I got to thinking, what other weird things does my white trash family do when it comes to eating?

Mayo mixed in field/black eyed peas
Butter beans - never lima beans
Cornbread or crackers in milk
Peas smashed up in cornbread
Egg(s) scrambled into gravy (carried over from the depression, a couple of eggs would stretch out to three or four people) and biscuits
Salmon Croquets (carried over the depression, southerns were lacking Vitamin B3 so the government subsidized it)
Tabasco in eggs
Grandmothers or great grandmothers who didn't eat meat, cause there was none growing up
Pot liquor
Women who fixed men's plates (common up through the 70s, my wife still does it)
Frozen jello in those old small margin/butter containers
Grandparents who kept washed out milk jugs full of water and never threw away thing cause times might get tough again

What you guys got?
- Lots of folks in my family put mayo in peas. I do not.
- Cornbread in buttermilk. Never heard of crackers.
- I thought Salmon Croquets was fine "seafood" dining growing up. It would take a day to get the smell out of the house.
- Country ham and redeye gravy.
- Fried corn. This was not sweet corn, but field corn. Shuck the corn and scrape it off the cob into a cast iron skillet. It freezes very well like that. My mother had brothers and sisters from Texas to Virginia, and June would always be an assumed family get together that would center around corn being ready in the Delta. Everyone would spend several days putting up corn for the next year.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've done the mayo on peas my whole life. Sardines, crackers and a slice of onion are a delicacy. Liver cheese sammich, yum. Potted meat on crackers exceptional. Fried bologna w/ a fried egg on top for breakfast, still order that at Starkville Cafe all the time. Mashed potatoes w/ english peas in a spooned out hole in the taters made a bird nest, my moms way of getting me to eat the peas. Vienna sausage (better known as Skeeter Peters in my house) w/ crackers and mustard and a butter and sugar sammich for dessert were a favorite when having to provide for myself while parents were working in summer.

My mom made the pear cheese mayo lettuce thing and threatened me w/ my life but I would NOT let that stuff touch my lips, even though I eat every one of those items seperately to this day. Mom also baked potatoes in old foil butter wrappers that she saved in the little refrig compartment where the butter was kept.

Dad ate cornbread crumbled up in buttermilk, yuck. He also saved leftover rice and put milk, cinnamon and sugar on it for breakfast the next morning and ate it cold. He loved pickled pig feet, myself, I couldnt imagine eating anything that had walked around in that foul smelling pig schat they rolled around in, just nope for me. He loved him some beef tripe too (lining of a cows stomach) again its a nope from me.

Referrring to mayo, my grandmothers was always homemade and she always had a big batch ready for leftover turkey sandwiches the day after Thanksgiving. I still have her special antique "mayo jar" It has the mayo recipe molded into the glass jar and a plunger that goes through the lid and mixes the egg, oil, lemon juice and salt together. Other grandmother always bought flour in the big sacks that had dish towels and wash cloths sewn on the end of the bags for free. Some of the sacks were made from a very modest flower print patterned thin cotton material but she always saved those and made blouses or aprons from them. We alternated back and forth eating Sunday lunch w/ both of them. Leftovers were simply left out on the counter for everyone to walk by and graze on during the afternoon and then supper was whatever was left at the end of the day. Food poisoning you say, never happened even though that stuff lay there from noon till we left that night.

I could go on but I'll stop now. Man this thread has me missing all of them, a lot, and its getting dusty in here now.........

Indognito

May 27, 2016
Wilted salad: Uncooked greens or lettuce with slices of hard boiled egg, and onions with hot bacon grease poured over them as the dressing.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Parents grew up in the Delta during the Great Depression. Neither had dads around after age 10. Hated eating Salmon croquettes, loved hot dogs and potted meat growing up and loved the fried chicken with gravy made from all the grease it was cooked in. Corn bread and peas, potatos and rice were staples. My late dad could make that ketchup bottle last a week after it was almost empty and he had clothes that lasted decades. Soft drinks were rarely found in my house growing up. But we had kool aid. By the time I was a teen we'd become somewhat middle class so food got better. Vacationed once in a while in Biloxi for a few days, never to Disney as a kid, and mostly at' a relative's house around the South. BBQ growing up, a rare treat and when we also had a 2 liter coke and sprite, was exclusively leg quarters and kraft bbq sauce with ketchup and worcestor added and it was tasty. My late dad had a fascination with trains and told me, reluctantly, how he would hop on trains and take off for a while to get away, something he said I'd better not do. Time spent in the Air Force and the Korean War turned his life around. My wife's dad was also considered white trash from rural Arkansas. He didn't have a flush toilet until high school and the national guard and a wealthy uncle who paid for his college got him out of poverty. Most people don't realize how poor Americans once were and how hard life was. My dad could fix just about anything and was a master gardener. I'd love to have all those fresh veggies today instead of the store bought stuff but I'm too lazy and it's a lot cheaper to buy now than grow, I think.
Our paths are similar. My dad was from Rolling Fork and mom was from Valley Park. My Daddy was the first person to graduate college from our family. Mr. Buddy Newman got him a scholarship and he told me later in his life my dads brain was too valuable to waste. My wife came from a poor family. My kids don’t have a clue how lucky they are and that’s disappointing to me.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Peas and cornbread, basically. Peas didn't have mayonnaise (that is just gross), but they had plenty of bacon fat.

We had cornbread every other meal. Rice was in the other one. And I had forgotten all about those salmon croquettes, interesting about the government subsidizing them.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
As I was eating supper (dinner for you fancy boys) and enjoying mayo mixed into my black eyed peas, I got to thinking, what other weird things does my white trash family do when it comes to eating?

Tabasco in eggs

What you guys got?

Wth? I can accept the rest of the list as trashy, but not Tabasco usage.

I'll add, over easy/sunny side eggs mixed with peanut butter as "gravy".

Pickled eggs, pigs feet, etc with beer - mainly budweiser.

LandDawg

Sep 1, 2009
The white trashiest thing I ever heard of was canned pear halves filled with Mayo and covered with shredded cheese.

The trashiest thing I grew up eating was deviled ham sandwiches. I don’t know if people down here eat that, but my folks grew up poor in the Dakotas, so…
I still eat pear salads & potted meat.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
We always called them salmon patties, guess we weren't fancy enough for croquettes. Man my granny made em great, fried with a lot of onions in 'em.

Lots of other good stuff on this thread, I'll add beanie-weenie. Yep, a can or two of pork & beans with hot dogs cut up in them. I liked to doctor mine up with mustard & ketchup.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Man, y'all are allowing me to relive my childhood with my grandparents and parents! Thanks for starting this thread. I have most of everything that has been listed, and miss much of it...the pear salad was never my favorite, but the nostalgia is amazing. My addition to this thread will be one word:

Nabs.

Rarely hear them referred to as nabs anymore now that I live in NE FL.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Tuna fish on white bread with extra mayo and a twinkie for dessert. Wash it down with a cold glass of milk.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
White Trash? Yes but No!

What I ate was great as a kid (born '63). The majority was not store bought as it was either grown in our garden or hunted/fished. We had a few staples from the store like milk, bread, bananas, sandwich meats, sugar, flour, meal, sausage, bacon, eggs, hamburger meat as we didn't live on a farm. We were middle class, nice house, multiple vehicles, nicer toys, motorcycles etc... and never wanted for any necessities but:

We had two deep freezers - one full of veggies - the other meats and canned tomatoes, green beans and jellies in the cabinets.

Meats were - deer, quail, dove, squirrel, crappie, brim, bass, rabbit and catfish... quantified in that order. We always had months of food at all times. Dad trained dogs for quail and that was his favorite but a deer would fill up the freezers quick. Dad hated cleaning catfish but would not throw it back once caught. They made one or two trips a year to Grenada for Crappie and would come back with 100's of them for us to clean and split with his brother who went with him. They stayed day and night and slept in john boat running lines until they had to go back to work. This was work, not relaxed fishing.

Veggies/fruits we grew - Speckled Purple hull peas, Butter beans, Corn, Okra, Onions, Potatoes at times but bought them too, Peanuts, radishes, butter peas, snap beans, tomato, various greens, watermelons, cantaloupe, apples (yes we had apples), pears, plums, peaches and I am probably missing some things.

We raised our food. We weren't poor, it was just the way of Life that my Mom & Dad lived as he was born in 1924 and her in 1929. They passed at 96 and 93 recently. It was a blessing of a life to have had with them around.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009

Mayo mixed in field/black eyed peas
Butter beans - never lima beans
Cornbread or crackers in milk
Peas smashed up in cornbread
Egg(s) scrambled into gravy (carried over from the depression, a couple of eggs would stretch out to three or four people) and biscuits
Salmon Croquets (carried over the depression, southerns were lacking Vitamin B3 so the government subsidized it)
Tabasco in eggs
Grandmothers or great grandmothers who didn't eat meat, cause there was none growing up
Pot liquor
Women who fixed men's plates (common up through the 70s, my wife still does it)
Frozen jello in those old small margin/butter containers
Grandparents who kept washed out milk jugs full of water and never threw away thing cause times might get tough again

What you guys got?
Peas and cornbread were a staple growing up, and I've taught my kids how good they are mixed together.

My grandfather was our only family member who regularly drank buttermilk, and he loved crumbling up some cornbread in it. He also referred to regular milk as "sweet milk," and it wasn't til I got older that I realized that he was doing it to differentiate it from buttermilk, since he always kept both in his house.

To add to the vienna-sausages-on-saltines talk, you know what makes it even better? A lil Thousand Island dressing on top (chef's kiss).

Growing up, there was an old store in my hometown that made the best hot dogs ever served on earth ... they were cooked in oil. There was this ancient dude in the back of the store who cooked them in a giant cast iron skillet, about an inch of oil in it, turning and moving them around with an ice pick that looked like it dated back to the actual ice age. My friends and I would eat them every day for lunch in the summer. How we didn't drop dead from heart attacks before age 12 is a mystery.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Go read Cotton Tenants by James Agree. You’ll understand where it came from for some of us. I’m not the only one on here from sharecropper grandparents…they ate a hog from the rooter to to the tooter. My folks ate better and fed us better but it was from the garden most nights…leaf lettuce with chopped green onions and bacon with hot bacon grease poured over with cornbread a fall staple. And Salmon croquettes..haven’t had one since 85 and don’t plan to Cornbread and milk sweet or buttermilk for a snack..I could go on. Two generations removed from the outhouse I live in the penthouse. Thankful everyday for growing up working and eating the way I did. Now off to lunch got some deviled ham and loaf bread old habits die hard!

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I've done the mayo on peas my whole life. Sardines, crackers and a slice of onion are a delicacy. Liver cheese sammich, yum. Potted meat on crackers exceptional. Fried bologna w/ a fried egg on top for breakfast, still order that at Starkville Cafe all the time. Mashed potatoes w/ english peas in a spooned out hole in the taters made a bird nest, my moms way of getting me to eat the peas. Vienna sausage (better known as Skeeter Peters in my house) w/ crackers and mustard and a butter and sugar sammich for dessert were a favorite when having to provide for myself while parents were working in summer.

My mom made the pear cheese mayo lettuce thing and threatened me w/ my life but I would NOT let that stuff touch my lips, even though I eat every one of those items seperately to this day. Mom also baked potatoes in old foil butter wrappers that she saved in the little refrig compartment where the butter was kept.

Dad ate cornbread crumbled up in buttermilk, yuck. He also saved leftover rice and put milk, cinnamon and sugar on it for breakfast the next morning and ate it cold. He loved pickled pig feet, myself, I couldnt imagine eating anything that had walked around in that foul smelling pig schat they rolled around in, just nope for me. He loved him some beef tripe too (lining of a cows stomach) again its a nope from me.

Referrring to mayo, my grandmothers was always homemade and she always had a big batch ready for leftover turkey sandwiches the day after Thanksgiving. I still have her special antique "mayo jar" It has the mayo recipe molded into the glass jar and a plunger that goes through the lid and mixes the egg, oil, lemon juice and salt together. Other grandmother always bought flour in the big sacks that had dish towels and wash cloths sewn on the end of the bags for free. Some of the sacks were made from a very modest flower print patterned thin cotton material but she always saved those and made blouses or aprons from them. We alternated back and forth eating Sunday lunch w/ both of them. Leftovers were simply left out on the counter for everyone to walk by and graze on during the afternoon and then supper was whatever was left at the end of the day. Food poisoning you say, never happened even though that stuff lay there from noon till we left that night.

I could go on but I'll stop now. Man this thread has me missing all of them, a lot, and its getting dusty in here now.........
I'll eat a brisling in mustard sauce on a saltine every day of the week.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
At my inlaws monthly shindig in West Point, the green congealed salad stuff is always present. I think it's lime jello with whipped cream, coconut, and pineapple in a bundt cake mold. Looks like trash.

Reactions: TrueMaroonGrind

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Slugburgers... Oh Yeah! A north Mississippi staple. Martin's BBQ owner also has some diners "Hugh Baby's" in Nashville and Charleston that is spreading the slugburger love by serving them one day a week.

Reactions: Indognito

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Miracle Whip sandwich. Also put the whip cream in the freezer and acted like it was ice cream. Couldn't afford kool-aide but we bought the crap out of drinkaide. Big K cola was a staple.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I don’t know why people think bologna is poor people food. Do the math, bologna costs more per pound than ribeye steaks.

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
White Trash? Yes but No!

What I ate was great as a kid (born '63). The majority was not store bought as it was either grown in our garden or hunted/fished. We had a few staples from the store like milk, bread, bananas, sandwich meats, sugar, flour, meal, sausage, bacon, eggs, hamburger meat as we didn't live on a farm. We were middle class, nice house, multiple vehicles, nicer toys, motorcycles etc... and never wanted for any necessities but:

We had two deep freezers - one full of veggies - the other meats and canned tomatoes, green beans and jellies in the cabinets.

Meats were - deer, quail, dove, squirrel, crappie, brim, bass, rabbit and catfish... quantified in that order. We always had months of food at all times. Dad trained dogs for quail and that was his favorite but a deer would fill up the freezers quick. Dad hated cleaning catfish but would not throw it back once caught. They made one or two trips a year to Grenada for Crappie and would come back with 100's of them for us to clean and split with his brother who went with him. They stayed day and night and slept in john boat running lines until they had to go back to work. This was work, not relaxed fishing.

Veggies/fruits we grew - Speckled Purple hull peas, Butter beans, Corn, Okra, Onions, Potatoes at times but bought them too, Peanuts, radishes, butter peas, snap beans, tomato, various greens, watermelons, cantaloupe, apples (yes we had apples), pears, plums, peaches and I am probably missing some things.

We raised our food. We weren't poor, it was just the way of Life that my Mom & Dad lived as he was born in 1924 and her in 1929. They passed at 96 and 93 recently. It was a blessing of a life to have had with them around.
I was born in ‘62. This sounds just like my childhood. It was great time to be a kid in America. I loved my childhood. Great memories

bomanishus

Mar 17, 2009
French fries with mayo - yes.
Pear halves with mayo/cottage cheese and shredded cheese - yes
Crackers, spam/sardines and slices of onion - yes
Biscuits and molasses -yes
Wife serves plate - you are saying some don't?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ya'll need to quit with this mayonnaise stuff. Dayum. Beyond your typical country folks, you're in podunk hillbilly country. Mayonnaise is meant to be had in small doses.....as a side player.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Mixing butter and Blackburn syrup to the perfect consistency and eating on a biscuit. Jerry Clower had a story about this...

Molasses and Biscuits - Jerry Clower.wmv - YouTube
My pawpaw always did this. Back when they did commodities (for you younger folks, they used to give out boxes of food to folks on hard times), he helped out with it and I guess some of that government butter always fell off the truck, because that's what they always had. The 1lb block, haven't seen any of it in a long time.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I made a fried spam, egg and cheese sammich today. I have some old timey black beans growing right now too. Oh, and I’m one of those that got chickens during Covid so that was a fresh egg. I wonder now why it took so long for me to get chickens.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
My Dad used to eat sardines in grits and loved buttermilk and cornbread. Could be because my stepmom was a damn yankee and struggled at times cooking southern food. She did excel in baking though.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
My grandfather was our only family member who regularly drank buttermilk, and he loved crumbling up some cornbread in it. He also referred to regular milk as "sweet milk," and it wasn't til I got older that I realized that he was doing it to differentiate it from buttermilk, since he always kept both in his house.
My grandparents on my Mom's side did this for the same reason. They also called sandwich bread "light" bread.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Golden Eagle Syrup , the pride of Fayette Alabama, and hot buttered biscuits. Yum, yum!

Reactions: Indognito

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
My grandma used to get me to go out and pick “poke salit” for her-she cooked it with some green onions and some slices of boiled eggs in it. Pretty good, actually. She also cooked salmon croquettes (salmon patties) with onions and eggs-my uncle affectionately referred to them as “pu$$y patties” lol. She cooked those patties and always put Blackburn ribbon cane syrup on them. We had an annual “hog killing’” at my grandparents’ house every year-they would pick the coldest day of the year and every one of our neighbors, black or white would show up with at least one hog to be killed. There would be 40-50 people show up. My Grandpa would kill the hogs with an axe-they would build 8-10 fires under these huge black cast-iron pots scattered around the back yard. They would build a fire under a big 50-60 gallon barrel so they could “scrape” the hog, which basically meant that they would take a straight razor and remove the hair off the hog so they could process him. They “processed” everything they could from the “snoot to the toot”, as they said. They heated lard in a couple of wash pots and fried the chitlins’, they cut the pork chops, hams, tenderloins, bellies (bacon), they made hog-head cheese, and they ground everything left over into sausage using the intestines as casings for the sausage. The hams, bacon and the sausage were then placed in the smokehouse for several weeks where they received hickory smoke consistently until they were cured. They really did use everything other than the “squeal”. They did this every year up until around 1972-1973. My grandparents and parents operated a dairy farm and beef cattle operation for over 50 years. We never bought beef, pork or chicken over all those years from any outside source, other than sandwich meat. Every piece of beef or pork I ever ate over the years came from the freezers and were all wrapped in white butcher paper that came from the local slaughterhouse. We never bought syrup, either-we grew sugar cane and made our own “ribbon cane” syrup every year-same as the hog-killing. Everyone brought their sugar cane to our place and we put the cane in a cane press which was “powered” by a mule or a horse. We took the cane juice and poured it into vats with fires underneath and cooked all the water out and ended up with a fine syrup that is finer than anything you can buy these days. It was hard work, but we always ended up with a fine quality product. It’s a lost art, for sure.

Reactions: dorndawg and Yeti
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login