OT - White Trash Food Peculiarities

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Now I would love to see this subject on an Ole Miss board We had Sally fix roast beef only on Sunday. Daddy always kept a big tab at the store::: it was hard sometimes Daddy would get behind on the bill and we had ham instead on Sunday.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
As I was eating supper (dinner for you fancy boys) and enjoying mayo mixed into my black eyed peas, I got to thinking, what other weird things does my white trash family do when it comes to eating?

Mayo mixed in field/black eyed peas
Butter beans - never lima beans
Cornbread or crackers in milk
Peas smashed up in cornbread
Egg(s) scrambled into gravy (carried over from the depression, a couple of eggs would stretch out to three or four people) and biscuits
Salmon Croquets (carried over the depression, southerns were lacking Vitamin B3 so the government subsidized it)
Tabasco in eggs
Grandmothers or great grandmothers who didn't eat meat, cause there was none growing up
Pot liquor
Women who fixed men's plates (common up through the 70s, my wife still does it)
Frozen jello in those old small margin/butter containers
Grandparents who kept washed out milk jugs full of water and never threw away thing cause times might get tough again

What you guys got?
My great grandmother had 3 or 4 old deep freezers. She would take used cool whip and similar containers and freeze all of her garden veggies in them…..but my favorite of her supplies would be the frozen big purple grapes. It was such a treat to share a half Diet Coke, two peppermint’s and a frozen cool whip bowl of grapes…..all while Papa, great grand father, would be tuning into Turner Broadcast for his braves game…..after wheel of fortune and jeopardy.

He was a collector like me, although his thing was old train sets. We would oil the tracks and hope for sparks! He lived on a hill and I’d chase the Martins, as they circled the house.

Im spewing but thank you for the memory jostle

Last edited:

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
We used to do a bunch of country things with my grandparents around the dinner table. The things that I still carry the torch on are:

1. If a white perch is big enough to filet you keep the middle piece and eat the rib meat like it were a crab claw. If it ain’t big enough to filet you scale it and partially filet one side at the dorsal fin

2. Bream are fried whole, scaled and deheaded with or without scores based on the size.

3. If items 1 or 2 are on the diner table then the first bite you take is the tail, like a tater chip.

4. Fried white squash (squersh) always accompanied items 1 and 2.

5. The only way to eat a tomato is red, outside hot, sliced and with salt.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I had rag bologna from time to time from the local store. It was always good to me.

Idk where she got it from but my mom would fry potted meat in a skillet with an egg. Eat it white bread or crackers. It’s actually not too bad and worth a try.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Great thread. Same for me on a lot of these.
Nobody has mentioned those sausages with the red casings? My dad would wrap a piece of light bread around em and eat em cold.
He also used to slaughter a hog every year. Talk about mm mm good.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Great thread. Same for me on a lot of these.
Nobody has mentioned those sausages with the red casings? My dad would wrap a piece of light bread around em and eat em cold.
He also used to slaughter a hog every year. Talk about mm mm good.
The Shopezy in Walnut has an insane array of hotdogs with a lot of the red casing dogs. Idk why. I guess their customers are hotdog connoisseurs.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login