OT: whitetail rut

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Any central MS hunters seeing deer chasing yet. Got reports from another hunter on our land small bucks are starting to follow the does around. Where I hunt in crystal springs it’s usually right around Christmas and the week after. Looking forward to a week off next week and hopefully seeing some bucks

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Looks like small bucks are chasing (Covington Co.) Might be running from mosquitos though.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Saw 5 on food plot on Sunday and nothing else came out to even try to run em.

We went back yesterday to same plot. Buddy needed some meat for freezer. There are 2 less in that plot now.

Im in east central MS.

Nov 14, 2010
It’s on - always hard to tell when peak is but bucks are looking and know it’s time…..hunt just north of Canton and it’s rolling

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I saw a couple small bucks chasing and one old mature one in the last two days. Saw a lot of bucks just cruising but not following does. The bucks are responding to grunting though. Central MS

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
We’re starting to see some chasing in Starkville, but it won’t get really good until the first week of January.

RightOfCenter

Dec 5, 2015
OT: How are the acorns where everyone is hunting? Normally, I can’t hear myself think for all the acorns hitting the ground in certain spots. Saw a young buck looking for some today and he left disappointed. It got me to thinking and I was curious if anyone else saw anything similar.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Not sure about acorns but our place is loaded with hickories. We have at least 3 varieties and multiple trees of each variety and we are normally COVERED UP with hickory nuts falling starting in late Sept early Oct. We have ZERO hickory nuts this year, not one nut on any of the trees. This is our 6th year on that place and we've had them plentiful every year but for whatever reason NONE this year.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Monroe County. The acorns are plentiful. Deer haven't even started hitting the food plots yet because the ground is absolutely covered in acorns. I haven't paid any attention to the hickories. I have two in my yard and haven't even walked under them to see. I have a bunch of fox squirrels and they usually make it rain hickory nuts.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
OT: How are the acorns where everyone is hunting? Normally, I can’t hear myself think for all the acorns hitting the ground in certain spots. Saw a young buck looking for some today and he left disappointed. It got me to thinking and I was curious if anyone else saw anything similar.

Mainly pine where I hunt but the oaks that are there are producing.

I have 4 pretty large oaks in my back yard and they didn’t produce a single acorn last year. Back to normal this year though

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012

Not an expert but I always understood that white oaks only produce every other year and they also have a larger crop every other time that they produce. Red oaks produce every year. Other factors include how much rain you got in the previous spring and the size of the previous crop, you don't usually have big crops back to back. But I might have that all wrong, if so DCD can correct me.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Your red oaks (black oak, pin oak, water oak, black oak northern red oak) produce an acorn crop every other year, oaks in the white oak family produce every year (white oak, willow oak, burr oak)

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
Any central MS hunters seeing deer chasing yet. Got reports from another hunter on our land small bucks are starting to follow the does around. Where I hunt in crystal springs it’s usually right around Christmas and the week after. Looking forward to a week off next week and hopefully seeing some bucks

What gravel pit are you hunting in crystal springs? That's where I grew up.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
This is not exactly correct. Red oak acorns take two years to make. White oaks take one year.

Red oaks flower every year and will have 2 year old acorns that will drop that fall and one year old acorns that will drop the next fall.

White oaks will flower in the spring and that pollinated flower will produce an acorn that will drop that fall.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What gravel pit are you hunting in crystal springs? That's where I grew up.

There actually is an old gravel pit (I don’t think they are getting any more out of it) not too far from where we hunt. I didn’t grow up around there, I’m guessing from your comment there is lots of gravel pits around crystal springs…

I take the north crystal springs exit and the land is near new Zion church. That’s about the best landmark I can give.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
They starting shutting down feeding in counties and surrounding counties where any deer was found so a lot people quit reporting it or taking deer in for testing.

Many camps and hunters are of the opinion don’t you say say a word.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
ronpolk;[URL="tel:2002250" said:
2002250[/URL]]There actually is an old gravel pit (I don’t think they are getting any more out of it) not too far from where we hunt. I didn’t grow up around there, I’m guessing from your comment there is lots of gravel pits around crystal springs…

I take the north crystal springs exit and the land is near new Zion church. That’s about the best landmark I can give.

I hunt off of New Zion Road too about 8 miles north west of the church.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
In my younger days we always had celebrations on Christmas Eve so Christmas Day afternoon was always deer hunting time. On of my buddies was there for my first buck and biggest which both came on Christmas Day. They both were following does in Monroe county.

I also always took 2-3 days of vacation after New Years Day and have the woods and duck sloughs all to myself. My brother and I would sink more Christmas trees in new spot and sit catching slab crappie over last year's trees. It was usually cold so when you found the right spot for crappie you would catch as many as you wanted

I hope you all have success and fun hunting and maybe fishing during the holidays. Be safe and enjoy those days with your friends, family and youngun's.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I hunt off of New Zion Road too about 8 miles north west of the church.

It’s a good area for deer. Or at least seems like it to me but I did grow up in Florida where deer ain’t the biggest. But I’ve killed a few good ones in crystal springs. One real good one last year. I’m waiting to get the mount back to score him but taxidermist estimated about 150.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
This is not exactly correct. Red oak acorns take two years to make. White oaks take one year.

Red oaks flower every year and will have 2 year old acorns that will drop that fall and one year old acorns that will drop the next fall.

White oaks will flower in the spring and that pollinated flower will produce an acorn that will drop that fall.

Yep, I stand corrected.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

I’ve been hunting a decent amount. I’ve seen some does and small bucks. I haven’t seen any live action chasing yet, but know of several hunters that have. I just started getting some daytime pics of decent bucks 3 days ago.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
ronpolk;[URL="tel:2002258" said:
2002258[/URL]]It’s a good area for deer. Or at least seems like it to me but I did grow up in Florida where deer ain’t the biggest. But I’ve killed a few good ones in crystal springs. One real good one last year. I’m waiting to get the mount back to score him but taxidermist estimated about 150.

I’ve killed plenty of nice mature bucks over the past 25 plus years from this property and other land around Utica but never any monsters.

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
I’ve killed plenty of nice mature bucks over the past 25 plus years from this property and other land around Utica but never any monsters.

Dang, y'all are literally hunting right down the road from my family's farm. Are you in a camp or hunting private land?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Dang, y'all are literally hunting right down the road from my family's farm. Are you in a camp or hunting private land?

Mine is a lease. But I love it out there. I like how close that land is the Jackson area. I can leave my house in Madison and be hunting in less than an hour. My plan is to eventually buy some land out that way.

Tomdh3

Jun 17, 2014
Worst acorn crop I have seen in sometime, north delta area. Nice problem to have when you have a lot of oaks.

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
View attachment 23354
Actualy about 10:45 this am.
Clinton, Springridge @ S McRaven.
Couldn’t post dash cam video
This guy didn’t give a crap about anything but crossing that road.
Hit the brakes at first because I thought it was somebody pulling out in front of me.

engie

May 29, 2011
Weather is going to screw up the visibility of the chase this year I’m afraid. Have been cruising for a week or two around me. Only one I’m really after at this point is in my girlfriends back yard on 1/4 acre on a camera I put up a week ago today and has daylighted on it twice just dying for a bolt thru the bread basket. HOA gonna love this one.

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
Is it in Hidden Hills in Rankin county? There's a big one walking up and down Mill Creek.

Sep 15, 2009
100% chasing and coming to “The Can” (best call in the world) in north ms. Central Ms getting a few daytime pics of bucks so they getting ready

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
It’s been tough for me. I’m hunting a lot and

Have only seen one shooter which I passed on
And which was promptly shot before another member. I’m not seeing scrapes like I usually do but I am seeing plenty of yearlings a few mature does and young bucks. Big bucks have been a no show in daylight.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I was at Ratliff Ferry the other night. Bunch of old bucks chasing young does up in there. Not too many of them having any luck from what I could see.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Have only seen one shooter which I passed on
And which was promptly shot before another member. I’m not seeing scrapes like I usually do but I am seeing plenty of yearlings a few mature does and young bucks. Big bucks have been a no show in daylight.

Similar to my situation. Saw several does early in the season. Seem to see the same 5 point every time I go. He’s asking to be shot

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
100% chasing and coming to “The Can” (best call in the world) in north ms. Central Ms getting a few daytime pics of bucks so they getting ready

I’ve never had much luck with the can call. What’s the secret?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login